Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

Kostov

So what you're saying is that I wasn't being naive? :)
You were, and you are missing the point. Regardless that we need a draw at least either way. Getting the draw now would be much more difficult compared to if we actually put a good performance and won.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bruno Greenwood FC for the next 4 days for me :lol:
Chelsea and ManUtd are both better than Wolves and Leicester, both need just a draw but for some reason it's uncomfortable for both club fans.

At least this is better than needing a win on last day.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
You were, and you are missing the point. Regardless that we need a draw at least either way. Getting the draw now would be much more difficult compared to if we actually put a good performance and won.
I wasn't being naive saying we needed a draw in our final game whether we won last night, or drawed. Think you missed the point tbh.

And guess what. If we actually put ina good performance and won last night we still...you guessed it...need to avoid defeat in our final game

Siorac

I dont want to be optimistic anymore, for the first time in years I thought we are looking good and then start to play poorly.
Yeah exactly. I allowed myself to believe for a moment and we immediately ground to a catastrophic halt. At least I'm no longer nervous about Sunday's game: I'm absolutely convinced we'll lose so it won't hurt as much.

Waynenmads

Unfortunately, I think we’re relying on Nuno and Co to do us a favour against the Chelsea lads

roonster09

Scout
Yeah exactly. I allowed myself to believe for a moment and we immediately ground to a catastrophic halt. At least I'm no longer nervous about Sunday's game: I'm absolutely convinced we'll lose so it won't hurt as much.
Yeah, it looked like "teams can't cope with our front 3 + Bruno and Pogba". Now we can barely string couple of passes together.

Hopefully Ole is spot on with "ManUtd will recover 100% with 3 days gap".

Havak

Pokemon master
I just can't imagine Leicester's current defence handling our attackers, especially when they almost surely have to go for it. I don't think we'll lose the game.

roonster09

Scout
I just can't imagine Leicester's current defence handling our attackers, especially when they almost surely have to go for it. I don't think we'll lose the game.
We should play to our strength, instead of looking to slow down the game we should play direct football, their CBs don't have pace and both of their FBs are not that good.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I've also watched Leicester!
They weren’t that bad against Tottenham. Their defence is obviously a big issue but if they press well from the front they’ll restrict the supply into our attackers. Everyone is banging on about our fitness ignoring the fact that as this mini league has gone on other teams have got fitter and started to press higher and we have no answer for it.

cyberman

They weren’t that bad against Tottenham. Their defence is obviously a big issue but if they press well from the front they’ll restrict the supply into our attackers. Everyone is banging on about our fitness ignoring the fact that as this mini league has gone on other teams have got fitter and started to press higher and we have no answer for it.
Leicester are terrible. They literally can't defend. Injuries have destroyed them

Havak

Pokemon master
We should play to our strength, instead of looking to slow down the game we should play direct football, their CBs don't have pace and both of their FBs are not that good.
This is exactly how I'm hoping it goes.

Regardless of us not looking quite as menacing right now, we still didn't lose a Premier League game since 22nd January. That's 13 in a row without defeat, I really don't have a strong feeling that Leicester will beat us. Can't go as far to say it would be a shock result if we did get beat, but it's close to it. There should be no fear. Leicester should be the team feeling the pressure. It really is that simple.

acnumber9

Leicestr are unbeaten at home since the restart, draw, win win and have not conceded a goal.

Pretty conclusive that home advantage does mean something to them, as their away results are a mess.
It’s pretty conclusive that they’ve been their easiest games. They won against Sheffield United and a Crystal Palace team who have lost 6 in a row. It doesn’t say a lot about home advantage at all.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If I was ever on the verge of suicide and I needed something to send me over the edge I’d read your posting history.
:lol: :lol:

We’re 3rd place having miraculously gained on both Leicester and Chelsea and still people moan.

Honestly this is the most optimistic I’ve been post Fergie. We have something to build on and have a great chance of qualifying for the champions league,
Winning Europa and making some great signings in the summer.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
5 points out of 9 for United

3 points for Leicester and 3 for Chelsea out of 9

All playing shite, but dunno why everyone is quick to write United off against a team that have played much worse than us since the restart. They were 15 points in front of us.
That and I can’t remember the last time you lost in the league. January or something.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Both ourselves and Chelsea finish in the Champions League places in 7 out of the 9 permutations that this weekend’s results can throw up.

It would be a disaster of epic proportions if either fail to deliver.

Reddevil1978

Results since football restarted. 8 games played.

Manchester United 18 points GD +14
Wolves 16 points GD +6
Chelsea 15 points GD + 1
Leicester City 9 points GD - 2

Post lockdown table.

1st City (on goal difference)
2nd United
3rd Spurs
4th Wolves
5th Southampton
6th Chelsea
14th Leicester

Leicester 14th. With Maddison, Pereira, Chilwell and Soyuncu out. Albrighton is a doubt.

Statue of Limitations

LCFC form is absolutely awful, and we have mostly been fantastic since the restart, pretty much top of the form table.

Leicester are in lower mid table form and have been for a while, I just don't think they have enough about them to get what they need.

West Ham were fighting tooth and nail to secure their survival, we were unlucky we were not playing one of the many teams already on the beach.

3-1 Utd and I don't care what Chelsea do.
We win we are third, who would have thought that in January?? :drool:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Utd in my book are qualified now as Chelsea will lose to Wolves. Only question is what Utd team turn up to play Leicester. My prediction:

Chelsea 1 - 3 Wolves
Leicester 2 - 2 Utd

To be honest, Utd look leggy and Leicester have had a full week to prepare. I see the game being a draw as a draw/win doesn't make any difference to Utd. As for Chelsea, Wolves just need to win a few corners/free kicks in decent areas and they should be in business.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea and ManUtd are both better than Wolves and Leicester, both need just a draw but for some reason it's uncomfortable for both club fans.

At least this is better than needing a win on last day.
Its only uncomfortable because there is so much pessimism among fans. We both need a point, our defence is sloppy, but I have no trouble believing we can muster at least a draw v wolves. Hopefully the right changes are made after last night. And for Utd, I can see you drawing too, better yet if you win, thatd be great for us :D

I reckon if Utd had Norwich last day, or Chelsea did, there'd still be fans of those respected clubs thinking we'd lose and not get the desired result. Madness some of the pessimism on here is

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Utd in my book are qualified now as Chelsea will lose to Wolves. Only question is what Utd team turn up to play Leicester. My prediction:

Chelsea 1 - 3 Wolves
Leicester 2 - 2 Utd

To be honest, Utd look leggy and Leicester have had a full week to prepare. I see the game being a draw as a draw/win doesn't make any difference to Utd. As for Chelsea, Wolves just need to win a few corners/free kicks in decent areas and they should be in business.
I think you are way off by there. Both Utd and Chelsea will qualify. It's ok saying about set pieces but then you could argue what if Giroud scores from a corner or freekick? What if Wolves fail to handle Pulisic. What if Wolves have an off day and we play as we did at Wembley. Many scenarios can play out, exciting last day regardless. But we'll both be fine IMO

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Leicestr are unbeaten at home since the restart, draw, win win and have not conceded a goal.

Pretty conclusive that home advantage does mean something to them, as their away results are a mess.
We're also unbeaten in away games since the restart, winning 3 of 4.

I've ignored FA Cup games as you did too

AshRK

I think you are way off by there. Both Utd and Chelsea will qualify. It's ok saying about set pieces but then you could argue what if Giroud scores from a corner or freekick? What if Wolves fail to handle Pulisic. What if Wolves have an off day and we play as we did at Wembley. Many scenarios can play out, exciting last day regardless. But we'll both be fine IMO
I know each day is different but one thing where you guys are definitely a bit better than United is you have players who are mentally stronger and know how to get the job done. Even when you have a shit season you guys end up with a trophy or get the top 4. So that might help you lot against Wolves.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Problem with Wolves is that generally they play 6/10 at worst every match. The only reason why Wolves are not in a CL space right now is due to their start to the season where they only got 3 or 4 points out of 18 due to them being shagged out from playing Ropey League qualifying football.

Chelsea's defence on the other hand plays about 3/10 consistently. Chelsea have a GK who cannot save anything as your No.1, a back-up GK that cannot replace your No.1 because he isn't any better. Not a single CB that can organise or command the area and a set of LB's that are uber suspect when defending due to a lack of pace (Alonso) and desire/football IQ (Emerson.)

I have said it elsewhere but essentially Chelsea have to score a minimum of 3 goals against decent sides to get a point at the moment in time as they cannot defend.

Further, like Utd (but not quite as much) you look leggy and Wolves, like Leicester, are going to be the fitter/stronger side. For me, I have the Utd game down as a draw because I see Leicester coming on strong and getting something, even with all their injuries as Utd's legs are shot. However, I just do not see Chelsea dealing with Traore and Jimenez on the counter and Neves/Moutinho at set pieces as they are literally the worst type of side for Chelsea as all their strengths, play directly on Chelsea's glaring weaknesses.

Only way Chelsea get something is if Pulisic pulls out a Hazard special and drags them through by himself and it is 3-3 or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fortitude

Nickelodeon

Wolves have added pressure on them as well. They would want to stay 6th and the only thing that confirms that is a win. Even a draw would open the door for Spurs to finish 6th. Naturally, 7th could still get Europa if Chelsea beats Arsenal in the cup final but surely Wolves wouldn't want to rely on that.

For us, all the stats point in the right direction except that our performances since the Southampton game have been quite poor. Leicester, as shite as they have been, have been given an incredible opportunity to have a straight shootout for CL football. Their home performance against Sheffield was quite good and even in the Bournemouth game they were clearly on top till the feckups by Schmeichel and Soyuncu. It's nowhere close to being comfortable for us.

This is our most important final day since the 2011/12 season.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I don't think its rocket science that our recent slump in form is down to burn out. I think our players have a put in a huge effort since lockdown to put us into a great position, but its taken its toll and we've looked knackard in the last 3 or 4 games. Hopefully the incentive to finish 3rd will put enough in the tank to finish the job v Leicester but I am worried. If they play like Chelsea and get in our faces to stop us getting into our rhythm it could be tough afternoon (and let's face it, why wouldn't they?!?)

Siorac

Problem with Wolves is that generally they play 6/10 at worst every match. The only reason why Wolves are not in a CL space right now is due to their start to the season where they only got 3 or 4 points out of 18 due to them being shagged out from playing Ropey League qualifying football.

Chelsea's defence on the other hand plays about 3/10 consistently. Chelsea have a GK who cannot save anything as your No.1, a back-up GK that cannot replace your No.1 because he isn't any better. Not a single CB that can organise or command the area and a set of LB's that are uber suspect when defending due to a lack of pace (Alonso) and desire/football IQ (Emerson.)

I have said it elsewhere but essentially Chelsea have to score a minimum of 3 goals against decent sides to get a point at the moment in time as they cannot defend.

Further, like Utd (but not quite as much) you look leggy and Wolves, like Leicester, are going to be the fitter/stronger side. For me, I have the Utd game down as a draw because I see Leicester coming on strong and getting something, even with all their injuries as Utd's legs are shot. However, I just do not see Chelsea dealing with Traore and Jimenez on the counter and Neves/Moutinho at set pieces as they are literally the worst type of side for Chelsea as all their strengths, play directly on Chelsea's glaring weaknesses.

Only way Chelsea get something is if Pulisic pulls out a Hazard special and drags them through by himself and it is 3-3 or something.
This is quite patently ridiculous - they defended more than well enough against, well, United. This idea that Chelsea have no hope at home to Wolves is just fantasy. Wolves are really overrated.

Alemar

Do not be silly, that would require Kepa to make a save.
Actually it’s true. With de Gea, we are talking about inconsistency: very good performances are mixed with howlers here and there.

With Kepa, we are talking about the most consistent GK in EPL - he is consistently shit throughout the entire season (and even in the last game managed do concede 5 goals from about 5 shots on target)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is quite patently ridiculous - they defended more than well enough against, well, United. This idea that Chelsea have no hope at home to Wolves is just fantasy. Wolves are really overrated.
You're not kidding, Chelsea will beat them handily. They're well-drilled and quite an effective team but nothing to write home about.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
If we can't manage a draw against Wolves at Stamford Bridge on the last day of the season to confirm CL qualification, then we really do not deserve it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we can't manage a draw against Wolves at Stamford Bridge on the last day of the season to confirm CL qualification, then we really do not deserve it.
Let's be honest, none of Leicester, Chelsea or United deserve it. 64 points to guarantee top 4 is funny.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They aren't overrated, they're a very well drilled side with probably the best defensive structure in the league. Extremely well coached. Of course Chelsea are favorites though, especially as they are home and just need a point to qualify.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Wolves are decent, but id like to think we can manage to get a single point. I get the criticism of our defence and its justified. But you could argue the same in our favour, what if Wolves cant handle our attack? Long time ago now but we have already stuck 5 past them at Molineux.

Siorac

They aren't overrated, they're a very well drilled side with probably the best defensive structure in the league. Extremely well coached. Of course Chelsea are favorites though, especially as they are home and just need a point to qualify.
They're a very well drilled side indeed - that is true. But some here claim they are favourites at Stamford Bridge which is just nonsense. Some people on the Caf do tend to overrate Wolves

Lee565

The run where we had a shit ton of injuries? That run yeah?
That is not an excuse for where we were languishing at times in table and it didnt help that magic was basically frozen out until ole had no other midfielders to pick from and was proven wrong to ignore for pretty much the entire first half of the season, also his transfer dealings didnt help matter.

And if having a load of injuries is now seen as reasonable excuse for being mid table during that time then why would it not be criminal if ole fails to get united a top 4 spot against a Leicester side missing a large amount of first team players? It also says a lot about the mentality ole is injecting in the team if for two straight seasons under him we bottle it right at the end to get a top 4 spot.