Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Still think United will need to win on the final day and do well just to achieve that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The results could have gone better for us tonight, they're still pretty good though. Win at Villa and we're only a point off Leicester, which means if we win all our remaining games (including the one at Leicester) we will finish in the top four.

Arsenal drawing also gives Spurs (slim) hope of being able to finish high enough in the table to qualify for the Champions League, if City's European ban is upheld. It should mean that Leicester don't get an easy ride at White Hart Lane. Leicester also have to play Sheffield United, who seem to be regaining a bit of their pre-lockdown resilience. If we do our part and win our games we should be able to take advantage of any slip ups.

All in all a decent night for United. Now we have to do what we've failed to do so often since Fergie retired: take advantage of the teams around us stumbling. We've found a way to deal with going behind now, doing so against Spurs and Bournemouth. Now lets see if Ole has fixed this flaw in our makeup too.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Yeah as much as I think Tottenham are dreadful, I still feel they’ll get something off Leicester. Also there is chance SU could get something too.
I think so too. Sheffield United have only lost to City, Liverpool, United and a red card at Newcastle with players missing, all season. It’s a very tough game

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
No easy games left for Leicester with their form since December. They were saved by a red card tonight and now they have to go to a team fighting to survive and win, and that’s their easiest game.

Then they have to beat Sheffield United, who have only lost 4 times away from home in all competitions this season.

And then go to Mourinho’s anti football Spurs and win too?

It isn’t happening. If United do their job, they will be in the top 4 going into the last day.
We have to go to a team fighting to survive and win as well...

Sheffield United is in lala land right now. Henderson has already checked out and is on holidays. That game should be a cake walk for them.

Spurs might be tricky but we also have Palace away which want be a cake walk as well.

I would say we need to win against Villa on Thursday or it's all over. We need to make sure we're in the top 4 before we play leicester.

Baneofthegame

I personally think we will beat Leicester regardless, so as long as we are within two points of them come the last game of the season we should be ok.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Both Chelsea and Leicester will drop points before the season is done.
We just need to do our bit and win ours. On form, we can win them all - including Leicester. They've got some very draw-able fixtures coming up. We just have to win ours.

SirAnderson

I'm getting more and more nervous as the fixtures roll on.
It just feels all to good to be true, the confidence you guys have that we win all our remaining games. This unbeaten 16 game run, it all seems like it's a dream that's going to come crashing down along with our top 4 hopes. :eek::houllier::nono::nervous:

Raw

I'm getting more and more nervous as the fixtures roll on.
It just feels all to good to be true, the confidence you guys have that we win all our remaining games. This unbeaten 16 game run, it all seems like it's a dream that's going to come crashing down along with our top 4 hopes. :eek::houllier::nono::nervous:
Seriously, I'm waiting for it to all blow up in our face in a typical Post-Fergie catastrophic meltdown fashion :lol:

As long as the players don't get ahead of themselves we should be fine. Just focus on one game at a time. Keep playing the way we're playing and there's no reason why we can't win the rest.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
We have to go to a team fighting to survive and win as well...

Sheffield United is in lala land right now. Henderson has already checked out and is on holidays. That game should be a cake walk for them.

Spurs might be tricky but we also have Palace away which want be a cake walk as well.

I would say we need to win against Villa on Thursday or it's all over. We need to make sure we're in the top 4 before we play leicester.
Yeah, but look at our form since Bruno came in and their corresponding form. Like I said about Sheffield United, they blipped, but anyone playing them going forward can expect a tough game. They were very good against Spurs and are a better team away from home. They don’t lose much away from home and still have a chance of Europe. They won’t be throwing in the towel yet, they are real dark horses for Europe.

Even if they get through that, they have to go to Spurs and win, not just get a result, and then beat United in the final game.

A team that on their prolonged run of form, which has lasted months, are not going to suddenly win 4 games in a row.

United, with Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood and Rashford all in and firing, absolutely can do that.

We are favourites now.

VanGaalEra

Feel pissed off and agitated by the results today, that first Chelsea goal and Palace hitting the post at the end and Leicester being shocking, Vardy getting away with a red and getting a point because arsenal go down to 10.

OneUnited24

Feel pissed off and agitated by the results today, that first Chelsea goal and Palace hitting the post at the end and Leicester being shocking, Vardy getting away with a red and getting a point because arsenal go down to 10.
I wonder if he’ll get a retrospective ban. Leicester lose him and they look so blunt going into a tough period

VanGaalEra

I wonder if he’ll get a retrospective ban. Leicester lose him and they look so blunt going into a tough period
Was most certainly deliberate, it should be a retrospective ban. No Vardy and Leicester can forget it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think 6 points will get us top 5, which is what we really need.
In simple terms yes, but there's potentially a lot riding on finishing 5th rather than 4th and certainly 3rd.

For us, we're almost certainly going to be playing this season until mid-August with Europa. Unless we win that (good chance we will), we'll have to qualify for the Champions League next season. Third round qualifications for Champions League 20/21 start on 31st August according to Wikipedia. That would give us a 2 week break in seasons in order to give players a rest, fulfill whatever pre-season commitments we have, fully focus on the transfer market and do all the usual marketing faf.

Of course if this is the only way we get Champions League then so be it, but really automatic qualification is the golden prize seeing as it's hard to envision how Leicester, you and us don't qualify given City's impending ban.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To be fair though. Chelsea deserved the 3 points. They were fully the better team for that 80 minutes. They got lucky for the first goal and got lucky in the the last 7 minute. But this should tell you that they still couldn't win their games comfortably. Sheffield United can be a tricky game for them.

Either way, I still expect Chelsea to finish top 4. Leicester is the one who has better chance to drop points here. I'm not going to expect Bournemouth since their defense is shocking but if offensively they can be as good as the ones against us with Wilson coming back, they might give some tough game. I expect Mourinho's bus to work effectively against them when they play against Spurs, feel like Jose will get at least a point here.

rotherham_red

1st half against Villa they managed 1 shot on target and looked more like a disinterested group than determined to break records.

Chelseas need will be greater for that match and Lampard is a lucky general so don't be surprised if its another poxy Chelsea win.
That's been the story of Liverpool's season though. They have very rarely blown teams away and have more often than not ground out wins by scoring against the run of play and building on it - right from their very first game against Norwich up to now. Add Chelsea's quite frankly hilarious backline and I can't see anything beyond dropped points for Chelsea in that game.

AshRK

One game at a time guys. Yes we are in form but villa away will be tricky. We cannot be afford to be complacent.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
That's been the story of Liverpool's season though. They have very rarely blown teams away and have more often than not ground out wins by scoring against the run of play and building on it - right from their very first game against Norwich up to now. Add Chelsea's quite frankly hilarious backline and I can't see anything beyond dropped points for Chelsea in that game.
Meh weve played them 3 times this season
2 2 draw (loss on pens) supercup
1 2 loss in the league
2 0 win in the cup

even when they were on form weve given them a game everytime.
I see no reason why we would suddenly be blown away by them especially when we need the points and they are on their holidays.

Andi Latte

In simple terms yes, but there's potentially a lot riding on finishing 5th rather than 4th and certainly 3rd.

For us, we're almost certainly going to be playing this season until mid-August with Europa. Unless we win that (good chance we will), we'll have to qualify for the Champions League next season. Third round qualifications for Champions League 20/21 start on 31st August according to Wikipedia. That would give us a 2 week break in seasons in order to give players a rest, fulfill whatever pre-season commitments we have, fully focus on the transfer market and do all the usual marketing faf.

Of course if this is the only way we get Champions League then so be it, but really automatic qualification is the golden prize seeing as it's hard to envision how Leicester, you and us don't qualify given City's impending ban.
Didn't they change it so the big leagues (England, Spain, Italy) now have 4 automatic spots? So 4th (or 5th) doesn't have to go through qualification anymore.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Meh weve played them 3 times this season
2 2 draw (loss on pens) supercup
1 2 loss in the league
2 0 win in the cup

even when they were on form weve given them a game everytime.
I see no reason why we would suddenly be blown away by them especially when we need the points and they are on their holidays.
Probably the same reason they're on course for over 100 points this season.. they're just better than everyone else, are playing at a ground where they haven't dropped points in 18 months, are chasing records, and will lift their first title in 30 years after that game. It won't be a blow out, but it's fair to assume Liverpool will win that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Arsenal should have put that game to bed in the first half. But one should learn to never trust them. Anyhoo as far as Leicester results go, we can't be too greedy. They've been dropping points left right and centre.

Now tomorrow's game is huge. An absolute must win if there ever was one. Failing to capitalise on last night may just be a blow too big to recover from. We have to use his momentum we have presently. Potentially the gap would have gone form 8 to 1 in a few weeks.

Hope we get the job done. Need a performance. Villa will be up for it. Won't be easy imo.

suheilsworld

In the form that we are in, we should look at hitting as many goals as possible. GD might come into play. Was gutted with the saves Matt Ryan and Ramsdale did against us. Plus Rashford goal should have stood against Bou

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's really annoying we have been 5th for so long and haven't gotten the chance to move up at all.
True but we could be 1 point away if we turn up tomorrow. That would be a major and much needed stride for us. Pretty much every game is a cup final now for us.

Member 90887

No, we need to better their results and then beat them at the King Power. They have superior GD.
I'm assuming we will win against Villa and be 1 points behind them by the end of this gameweek. That's why i worded it like that but you are right, we need to technically better their results since we haven't won against Villa yet.

Stevondo8

Does anyone have any idea when the City ban appeal decision is going to be made?

The Purley King

This is going to be a really exciting end to the season.
Could really do with Sheff Utd taking at least a point off Wolves tonight and we obviously must beat Villa tomorrow.
It might be a bit more comfortable after that if 5th will get a place as the gap between us in 5th & Wolves in 6th would be 5 or 6 points with only 4 left to play. Would not want to bet the house that City get banned though.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
This is going to be a really exciting end to the season.
Could really do with Sheff Utd taking at least a point off Wolves tonight and we obviously must beat Villa tomorrow.
It might be a bit more comfortable after that if 5th will get a place as the gap between us in 5th & Wolves in 6th would be 5 or 6 points with only 4 left to play. Would not want to bet the house that City get banned though.
I think I want one of them to win that game. As they play Chelsea and Leicester and I don't want them giving up on the top 5 beforehand. A draw basically rules them both out and then it's a case of whether they can muster the enthusiasm for Europa League qualification.

Lee565

based on last night's 1-1 draw, I believe we will enter the last day of the season sitting in a top 4 spot but wont have the luxury of qualification already tied up and will still likely need to avoid a loss to Leicester