Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not sure about that to be honest - given that Norwich are all but down (and might be by the time we play them), one draw in any of the other three fixtures would all but assure us of 5th at worst given we have a decent edge in GD over Wolves and it's not as if they're a free-scoring side at the moment.
Oh agreed. 5th at worst is all but guaranteed. My post is based on the assumption that Citys ban is overturned (which I doubt) and 5th won't be good enough.

pascell

Any idea on when Maddison will be back? Leicester don't look the same without him.
He came on vs Everton but it looks like they've rushed him back and he's had a re occurance. Rodgers did look nervous on the touchline that game and subbed on all his attackers, that suggested to me he's feeling the heat a bit.

E-mal

If we win our next three games, the game against leceister will be dead rubber.

peridigm

Should really be looking to win our next 3. Have to be wary of West Ham and Leicester who are game raising cnuts.

This needs to be stickied somewhere. Would be nice to go into the last match with 4th secured and not needing anything from it. I don’t think my heart could take it if we had to go down the the wire.

VanGaalEra

Good point for Bournemouth too, bit of confidence ahead of the game against Leicester and Wilson back too.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How?? If Wolves drop a single point against Everton and the City ban stays we would have get CL
I think this is one of the rare time’s @njred isn’t making fun of United, I think he’s implying we’ll lock up CL qualification.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
This needs to be stickied somewhere. Would be nice to go into the last match with 4th secured and not needing anything from it. I don’t think my heart could take it if we had to go down the the wire.
Just need to capitalise on one more slip up from Chelsea/Leicester.

I think Chelsea have it very good, I don't think Liverpool will challenge them. Plus they can sit back and watch us play against Leicester on the final day.

Paul_Scholes18

I think we need to take most points here to end in top 4. Can probably afford one slip up if we beat Leicester.

Dominos

If we win our next three games, the game against leceister will be dead rubber.
That would be nice but far from guaranteed, even if Leicester drew 2 and won 1 of their next three then we'd still need a draw on the last game.

We need Leicester to collect 4 points or less from their next 3 games to make the last game a dead rubber. And the same for Chelsea, we need them to only collect 4 points from their next 3 games.

Riz

I think Chelsea have it very good, I don't think Liverpool will challenge them. Plus they can sit back and watch us play against Leicester on the final day.
I think Liverpool at home trying to finish the season as the first team ever to win all home matches plus protect their unbeaten home record stretching back a few years plus lifting the trophy that game will mean they’re good value for at least a draw.

Ole'sattheWheel

Cast your minds back to January when we were all speculatively trying to shoehorn Pogba and Bruno into the same team; could you ever have imaged it would be this good?

2 absolute ballers on the pitch making things happen, with that front 3 ahead of them, overlapping full backs, long shots, inter-play, set pieces, counter attacks.

We're scoring goals all over the place, playing us right now must be hellish.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

I think we will win every game now bar Pool. Which may not even matter anyway at that point.

If City get banned, which they should at least for a year, CL is more or less done

RedDevilRoshi

By the time the Southampton game kicks off, we will already know if 5th place is enough for CL.

Beat Southampton and for me that’s top 5 pretty much done and dusted. Yes not mathematically but I can’t see us on our current form and the way the team is playing right now losing any of the remaining games.

I still stand by prediction and believe we are going to finish 3rd.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
By the time the Southampton game kicks off, we will already know if 5th place is enough for CL.

Beat Southampton and for me that’s top 5 pretty much done and dusted. Yes not mathematically but I can’t see us on our current form and the way the team is playing right now losing any of the remaining games.

I still stand by prediction and believe we are going to finish 3rd.
That’s a big luxury, if we know 5th is enough I hope we make a few changes in the next 2. Really want us ready for Chelsea. Proper desperate for us to win the cup.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Oh agreed. 5th at worst is all but guaranteed. My post is based on the assumption that Citys ban is overturned (which I doubt) and 5th won't be good enough.
Ah gotcha, apologies for misunderstanding. For me Leicester have the stickier run-in; I'd rather play a (likely relegated) Norwich, a Liverpool lacking motivation, & Wolves as opposed to Bournemouth (still with all to play for) / Spurs / Man United. Granted, Leicester / Spurs isn't a derby so perhaps this is colouring my perception somewhat.

At this point I'm relatively confident that it'll be United / Chelsea in the top 4 places; 3rd is still up for debate given our maddening inconsistency.

KennyBurner

Ah gotcha, apologies for misunderstanding. For me Leicester have the stickier run-in; I'd rather play a (likely relegated) Norwich, a Liverpool lacking motivation, & Wolves as opposed to Bournemouth (still with all to play for) / Spurs / Man United. Granted, Leicester / Spurs isn't a derby so perhaps this is colouring my perception somewhat.

At this point I'm relatively confident that it'll be United / Chelsea in the top 4 places; 3rd is still up for debate given our maddening inconsistency.
Your chances are not as good as you think. Liverpool are not lacking in motivation as they are very professional and will be looking to finish with maximum points guaranteed. Sheffield and wolves are even worse as they will be looking for wins to guarantee either champions or europa league. Norwich is the only easy game you have. My prediction is United 3rd and Leicester 4th.
United to pick up 12 points from the remaining 4 games
Chelsea to pick up 5 points
Leicester to pick up 7 points

Its tough but you guys are definitely playing Europa league next year.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Your chances are not as good as you think. Liverpool are not lacking in motivation as they are very professional and will be looking to finish with maximum points guaranteed. Sheffield and wolves are even worse as they will be looking for wins to guarantee either champions or europa league. Norwich is the only easy game you have. My prediction is United 3rd and Leicester 4th.
United to pick up 12 points from the remaining 4 games
Chelsea to pick up 5 points
Leicester to pick up 7 points

Its tough but you guys are definitely playing Europa league next year.
:lol::lol::lol: wind your neck in mate. Or are you somehow unaware that 5th place gets a CL spot?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Henderson is out for Liverpool it seems for the rest of the season, he was missing when they went through their small blip earlier. That further boosts Chelsea's hopes there.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Expect all this to be done and dusted by the time we next play. If the city ban does somehow get overturned then it's going to be some crazy last few weeks.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Im aware but not fully comfortable till the hearing next week. Hope the ban sticks so we all get a happy ending.
So therefore you'd be hard pressed to say we're "definitely" playing Europa league football? Especially since 5 points would make it mathematically impossible for Wolves to catch us?

KennyBurner

So therefore you'd be hard pressed to say we're "definitely" playing Europa league football? Especially since 5 points would make it mathematically impossible for Wolves to catch us?
Don’t be surprised when city get the ban overturned. Till then you will definitely be playing in the Europa next season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Don’t be surprised when city get the ban overturned. Till then you will definitely be playing in the Europa next season.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You do realize that the judgement as it stands is that 5th gets a CL spot, right? So until City get the ban overturned, which seems a small possibility, we are all but assured of CL football even if your absurd prediction comes to fruition?

Aouer-United

I need Chelsea to finish 5 with us on3 rd and Leicester City on 4th then City's upheld get overturned so it'll affect Chelsea's transfer budget, they'll sacrifice their targets so we can move away quickly from them and close gap on City/Liverpool assuming we have good summer window

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why do United even care about the City ban anyway? Remember, top 4 is not the only thing matter, what matter the most is that we can end the league with positive vibe. What we want is show what we are capable of with this improvement squad, win all our remaining games and show a good sign that we mean business next season.

Achilles McCool

I need Chelsea to finish 5 with us on3 rd and Leicester City on 4th then City's upheld get overturned so it'll affect Chelsea's transfer budget, they'll sacrifice their targets so we can move away quickly from them and close gap on City/Liverpool assuming we have good summer window
I remember when I had my first beer

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I think we will win every game now bar Pool. Which may not even matter anyway at that point.

If City get banned, which they should at least for a year, CL is more or less done
Not saying I want the ban to be overturned, but it would be interesting from this neutral observer to see how Chelsea, Leicester, united and the others deal with the sudden influx of pressure to have to earn fourth or better. It really would make these last few games so much for fun.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Who do you support? Another Liverpool fan for the cull it looks like.
I thought he might be a United fan, given he was predicting United to finish 3rd, and Chelsea 5th.

Infra-red

Why do United even care about the City ban anyway? Remember, top 4 is not the only thing matter, what matter the most is that we can end the league with positive vibe. What we want is show what we are capable of with this improvement squad, win all our remaining games and show a good sign that we mean business next season.
Because we desperately need Champions League football next season (and associated revenues). We might achieve that without a City ban, but only needing top 5 would take the pressure off.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Because we desperately need Champions League football next season (and associated revenues). We might achieve that without a City ban, but only needing top 5 would take the pressure off.
Exactly, we could even rest players v palace if that was the case.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Because the City ban guarantees us champions league much earlier than trying to make top 4. It will also allow us to focus on the cup