Top 4 race / race abandoned (or maybe not) / Leicester & Chelsea in the process of bottling it

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Massively fancy West Ham to finish above Leicester now, still might not be enough to make top 4 though as Liverpool could win 4/5 given where the Man. United game has been placed so they'll be very close.

Chelsea making it is NID given their general form in last 3 months.
NID? That can't be a real acronym :lol:

Renegade

Can you believe those ESL clubs tried to destroy the excitement of the top 4 race. Unforgivable.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Good list until he got to Maguire. Rudiger, Christensen and Thiago Silva have been excellent under Tuchel.
Maguire started every game for us in like forever. He's an integral part of our team and our captain. I wouldn't swap him for most CB's in the Premier League let alone Chelseas.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Stand by my prediction from two months ago.

City
United
Chelsea
Pool

Leicester will fade away as usual. Injuries are going to kill them again. Besides Rodgers is a serial bottler when it comes to the business end of the season. Vardy has stopped scoring, 1 goal since Christmas which was gifted to him by Alisson.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Chelsea's remaining games make even their place not secure
I think they'll beat Arsenal, Leicester (way they defended tonight Chelsea will cut through them no problem) and probably beat us last day if they need to so even with defeat tomorrow I think they'll hit 68-70 points and I can't see that points haul not being enough for top 4.

cyberman

Spurs might have a say in this with their remaining fixtures. 2 points behind Chelsea if they win and City beats the chavs.

Infra-red

I think they'll beat Arsenal, Leicester (way they defended tonight Chelsea will cut through them no problem) and probably beat us last day if they need to so even with defeat tomorrow I think they'll hit 68-70 points and I can't see that points haul not being enough for top 4.
Yeah, Chelsea will do it, they've been the second best side in the country since Tuchel took over. Final spot looks like a case of who is the least rubbish of Leicester, Liverpool, Spurs and West Ham. I reckon Liverpool will nick it. Leicester have bottled it again - unbelievable.

peridigm

So all we need to secure 2nd is a win Sunday a draw against Leicester?

I’m already counting on Chelsea to lose tomorrow.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So all we need to secure 2nd is a win Sunday a draw against Leicester?

I’m already counting on Chelsea to lose tomorrow.
If we win and Chelsea lose, it’d leave only Leicester able to get more points than us, and they’d need to avoid defeat against United, Chelsea and Spurs to have any chance.

so yea, win on Sunday and it’s done

Teja

Westham might actually sneak in looking at that fixture list if they win against Everton. Come on then Jesse.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Absolutely have to beat liverpool now. Cant have them getting back in after all of that.

Rodgers has Leicester punching above their weight and people overrating their players

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Can you believe those ESL clubs tried to destroy the excitement of the top 4 race. Unforgivable.
It's mental how many times its been the main thing that's still to be decided on the final day. Maybe Wenger was right after all!

BorisManUtd

So Leicester beat Palace 2-1 (after being 1-0 down), played 1-1 despite playing against 10-man Southampton for 80 minutes and now lost to Newcastle 4-2 at home and were even 4-0 down. If they don't finish in top 4 then they only have themselves to blame really. No excuses this season, most of their players are fit. I do think they'll beat us though but if we didn't have this tight schedule don't think it would've happened.

If West Ham beat Everton then they're in with a chance, though I reckon Brighton is trickier fixture for them than Everton.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spurs might have a say in this with their remaining fixtures. 2 points behind Chelsea if they win and City beats the chavs.
Can you imagine that, Spurs sneaking in for once because everyone else above them bottles it. :lol:

They would probably give Mason the job full time if it actually happened so would be Di Matteo esque.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I'm glad we're out the race, who wants something to play for at the end of the season! :lol:

BorisManUtd

I'm glad we're out the race, who wants something to play for at the end of the season! :lol:
It's like 2 years ago, we were both in top 4 race and collapsed towards the end leaving it to Chelsea and Spurs :lol:

Tottenham have to beat Leeds at Elland Road this weekend to even think about top 4. Not saying it can't happen but very unlikely. Everton on the other hand had their best chance in years and won't do it, really expected much more of them.

rotherham_red

So Leicester beat Palace 2-1 (after being 1-0 down), played 1-1 despite playing against 10-man Southampton for 80 minutes and now lost to Newcastle 4-2 at home and were even 4-0 down. If they don't finish in top 4 then they only have themselves to blame really. No excuses this season, most of their players are fit. I do think they'll beat us though but if we didn't have this tight schedule don't think it would've happened.

If West Ham beat Everton then they're in with a chance, though I reckon Brighton is trickier fixture for them than Everton.
I think we'll get the draw we need to guarantee ourselves 2nd and will play a completely rotated XI in that game. We'll go full strength v Villa and Liverpool and should beat both.

justsomebloke

I think we'll get the draw we need to guarantee ourselves 2nd and will play a completely rotated XI in that game. We'll go full strength v Villa and Liverpool and should beat both.
Yup, seems the logical approach. Ironically, that could mean the really big losers from the rescheduling will be Liverpool.

Anyway, Leicester will need that, because this was a catastrophic loss for them. When you consider the remaining schedule, this drops them right into the chasing pack, and I think the smart money is now on Chelsea for third.

Correspondingly huge win for Newcastle too. Not only does it put them pretty much clear of relegation, they now have a quite realistic opportunity to climb up to claim a place in the middle pack, rather than the bottom one. 13th may be very attainable. For a club that's spent so much time near the relegation zone, that'd mean something and put quite a different spin on the season.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Chelsea's next few weeks are absolutely bonkers. Leicester twice, City twice, Arsenal and then a final day of partytime Villa. Madness.

Have to be rooting for WHU. Or Spurs now that Jose is gone.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yup, seems the logical approach. Ironically, that could mean the really big losers from the rescheduling will be Liverpool.

Anyway, Leicester will need that, because this was a catastrophic loss for them. When you consider the remaining schedule, this drops them right into the chasing pack, and I think the smart money is now on Chelsea for third.

Correspondingly huge win for Newcastle too. Not only does it put them pretty much clear of relegation, they now have a quite realistic opportunity to climb up to claim a place in the middle pack, rather than the bottom one. 13th may be very attainable. For a club that's spent so much time near the relegation zone, that'd mean something and put quite a different spin on the season.
I think Chelsea will need to beat City to get third. Their league form has been a little erratic at times, as they seem to have fallen into the trap of playing their best in cup fixtures. For all the wins against Madrid/Atleti/City etc, they have drawn with: Wolves, Leeds, Brighton and Soton and lost to WBA since Tuchel came in.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea's next few weeks are absolutely bonkers. Leicester twice, City twice, Arsenal and then a final day of partytime Villa. Madness.

Have to be rooting for WHU. Or Spurs now that Jose is gone.
Even though I'd obviously much rather prefer to have top 4 secured already, to have every single game until the end of the season be a crucial game with something important riding on it is incredibly exciting.

Supermonkey_Wolf

Supports
Chelsea
Nice 0-0 tomorrow would go a long way. Not a strenuous match. A nice light jog as active recovery!

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I fancy West ham with that fixture list if they can get rice back
For West Ham it is all about beating Everton. I have the Dippers getting 13 points out of their 15 remaining and they have a much better gd to West Ham.

peridigm

Westham might actually sneak in looking at that fixture list if they win against Everton. Come on then Jesse.
I think so too. They don’t play anyone above them yet Leicester play us and Chelsea. If they lose both or draw one I think Westham will nick it.

Bertie Wooster

Yep.
In the two seasons under Benitez after returning to the PL, they spent £88.5m on transfer fees and finished 10th and 13th with 44 and 45 points. And he was proclaimed a genius, working wonders with peanuts to spend.

In Bruce's two seasons they've spent £100m on transfer fees, so pretty much the same, and last season also finished 13th, again with 44 points. This season, despite all their injuries (and results unsurprisingly improved on their return) they're now currently 13th again, with 39 points, so on course for low-to-mid 40 points again like under Benitez.

The spending and points return is pretty much identical under Benitez and Bruce, as is the goals scored each season, but the narrative of their achievements - one a genius working miracles, one a clown deserving sacking - is hugely different.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Spurs, the fecking dark horses. It feels like they've been shite and dropping points for 2 months but they're still in with a good shout.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Spurs, the fecking dark horses. It feels like they've been shite and dropping points for 2 months but they're still in with a good shout.
We’ve been rubbish since December and still have a shot. It’s ridiculous really.

Infra-red

We’ve been rubbish since December and still have a shot. It’s ridiculous really.
The standard has been poor this year (to be fair, for understandable reasons).

I expect things to get back to something approaching normal next season.

You'll be better (you couldn't be much worse), Chelsea will have a full season under Tuchel and City will get 95+ points because, well, they're City. Hopefully we kick on, too.

rotherham_red

Agreed, though I do think Chelsea will drop points v City this weekend, and if that happens then it would be a straight shootout between them and Leicester in their head to head

NK86

Yes Chilwell has been starting ahead of Shaw, but that's down to one daft manager's opinion and is hardly evidence that he's better?

Pogba's transfermarkt value going down is a reflection of A) his contract running down, B) his age, and C) the impact of COVID. Saying that he's not a "special player" anymore is pretty silly and citing Transfermarkt as some sort of authority is further evidence.

I don't really know where to start with your position on Maguire but suffice it to say I disagree. I would acknowledge that he has clear weaknesses as a player but the way United currently set up almost magnifies those weaknesses (i.e. lack of pace & difficulty in defending space). Put it this way - if Maguire was dropped into the heart of our defense in place of Thiago Silva I don't think we'd miss a beat. Our CBs have looked better since Tuchel came in in large part due to the tactics we've employed and the clear instructions they've received.
The last part is crucial. People seem to forget very quickly how porous your defense was under Lampard. Tuchel has definitely improved your defense. It is very clear from the way you get back your shape the moment you lose the ball. A well-drilled unit.

Lee565

Leicester have screwed it up, they had to win the easy games as you can't see them picking up barely a point from all the big sides they have left in the run in.