Top 4 race / race abandoned (or maybe not) / Leicester & Chelsea in the process of bottling it

rotherham_red

Chelsea losing means we need 3 more points for 2nd place mathematically secured. I know we all expect us to finish second anyway but it' still a good thing for us, even 3 draws will do it now. Though with the games Leicester have left it's already secured probably.
2nd is pretty much done. 1 point is realistically needed to put it beyond any doubt, as Leicester will more than likely get no better than a draw v Chelsea, and I'd back us to get the win v Fulham next Tuesday, if it isn't forthcoming tomorrow.

Dominos

After things looking so positive for them, Chelsea fans will have it in the back of their mind that they could yet potentially now throw away top 4 and lose the CL final.

There's so much riding on our game with Liverpool tomorrow. If Liverpool win then it's panic stations over at Leicester and Chelsea.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
After things looking so positive for them, Chelsea fans will have it in the back of their mind that they could yet potentially now throw away top 4 and lose the CL final.

There's so much riding on our game with Liverpool tomorrow. If Liverpool win then it's panic stations over at Leicester and Chelsea.
It was always going to be tight. A blip tonight but still in a much better position than a couple of months ago.

Anybody who was expecting a guaranteed 3 points against Arsenal just doesn't know the game or understand simple probabilities.

BorisManUtd

2nd is pretty much done. 1 point is realistically needed to put it beyond any doubt, as Leicester will more than likely get no better than a draw v Chelsea, and I'd back us to get the win v Fulham next Tuesday, if it isn't forthcoming tomorrow.
It is but it's just me being precautious :lol: and I want us to win as many points as possible as much as it won't have any real effect. Win against Fulham and a point tomorrow and at Wolves on final day and I'd be okay with it.

rotherham_red

It is but it's just me being precautious :lol: and I want us to win as many points as possible as much as it won't have any real effect. Win against Fulham and a point tomorrow and at Wolves on final day and I'd be okay with it.
I get you mate, and I agree. Would love for us to get 75+ points so that it represents clear progress on last season. And then next year I'm hoping we can get to the 85 points mark and really challenge City

Barnslig

Just looking back at the Chelsea - Arsenal mini-match, and by the letter of the law, shouldn't Kepa have been sent off for deliberate handball and Arsenal awarded a penalty before their goal? It's a clear back pass from Jorginho, and the fact that it would've gone in doesn't change that, no?

peridigm

Just looking back at the Chelsea - Arsenal mini-match, and by the letter of the law, shouldn't Kepa have been sent off for deliberate handball and Arsenal awarded a penalty before their goal? It's a clear back pass from Jorginho, and the fact that it would've gone in doesn't change that, no?
No. Indirect free kick is the ruling on this. Sounds silly, but that is the LOTG.

Barnslig

No. Indirect free kick is the ruling on this. Sounds silly, but that is the LOTG.
Okay, have they changed the law recently? An obvious backpass to keeper's hands used to be a sending off and a pen, didn't it?

BorisManUtd

I get you mate, and I agree. Would love for us to get 75+ points so that it represents clear progress on last season. And then next year I'm hoping we can get to the 85 points mark and really challenge City
Exactly, 75-80 points this and 85+ points next season would show clear progress.

On top 4 race: Chelsea will be clear favorites against Villa on final day but Grealish will most probably be back by then so that could maybe hurt Chelsea. They've made it much more complicated for themselves with a loss last night.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I always thought a keeper is allowed to touch a backpass with their hand as long as they don't pick it up. i.e. to prevent a certain own goal they can palm or punch it away but not catch the ball.

PoTMS

On the flip side, West Ham qualifying gives them more funds to buy Lingard.
I'm sure Everton or some other club will give us £25m for Lingard too. If West Ham really want him, they'll have to give us a discount on Rice.

Doracle

I always thought a keeper is allowed to touch a backpass with their hand as long as they don't pick it up. i.e. to prevent a certain own goal they can palm or punch it away but not catch the ball.
It’s just touching it with the hand/arm at all I think, so it would (or should) have been an indirect free kick on the goal line.

The more difficult question I think is whether the keeper should have been sent off. The wording of the laws around that don’t seem entirely clear to me but they probably suggest not. Seems a bit of an oddity though - it’s denying a goal by committing a deliberate offence.

The Purley King

It’s just touching it with the hand/arm at all I think, so it would (or should) have been an indirect free kick on the goal line.

The more difficult question I think is whether the keeper should have been sent off. The wording of the laws around that don’t seem entirely clear to me but they probably suggest not. Seems a bit of an oddity though - it’s denying a goal by committing a deliberate offence.
Would be an indirect free kick on the 6 yard box line. Cannot have a free kick anywhere in the opponents 6 yard box.
I'd like to think most referees would use some common sense and not take any action against a goalie in this type of situation. Maybe a booking for ungentlemanly conduct or something like that.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

nope, can't use hands or arms on backpass or throw in, if it's going in the net they can head it or use any part of the body bar hands/arms, if they handle it on the line I think the free kick takes place on the edge of the 6 yard box

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
On the plus side for Liverpool, it's in our hands again. Only one of Leicester or Chelsea can win maximum points from their last remaining games so if Liverpool win out, we get in providing our goal difference is better than Leicester if we're level on points. On the down side for Liverpool, we have been crap at OT for many years and haven't won there under Klopp so it's a big ask to 1. Win at OT and 2. Win 4 games on the bounce as we haven't looked consistent for ages!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
On the plus side for Liverpool, it's in our hands again. Only one of Leicester or Chelsea can win maximum points from their last remaining games so if Liverpool win out, we get in providing our goal difference is better than Leicester if we're level on points. On the down side for Liverpool, we have been crap at OT for many years and haven't won there under Klopp so it's a big ask to 1. Win at OT and 2. Win 4 games on the bounce as we haven't looked consistent for ages!
You know neither will. None are capable of doing it this year.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

We are so used to it by now, it is never panic station, it is just Chelsea. Yesterday a little piece of my soul did indeed die losing to a hapless Arsenal. I shall bury it next to the piece that died with that WBA game.

Josh 76

No team wants CL football. Some of the recent results from the top 4 contenders have been horrific.

I can see plenty more twists and turns yet. Don’t rule out West Ham yet.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
How meaningful is it for you to beat Liverpool in the context of your season so far? Leaving bitter rivalry aside as you have bigger fish to fry. Maybe you can educate me.
The thing is that the way the fixtures fell it was pretty much perfect for us to play full strength against Villa, 2nd string against Leicester, full strength against you and Fulham, then 2nd string again against Wolves to rest the first choice for the EL final. It should keep the first choice guys in the perfect balance of match fitness and no exhaustion.

always_hoping

So 4 wins equals top 4 for Liverpool and the 4 matches are against 4 sides with nothing to play for. Very much Liverpools top 4 place to lose and can't blame anyone else but themselves if its not achieved.

rotherham_red

How meaningful is it for you to beat Liverpool in the context of your season so far? Leaving bitter rivalry aside as you have bigger fish to fry. Maybe you can educate me.
I think we want to get 2nd wrapped up as soon as possible so will at the very least be wanting to avoid defeat. In addition to that we'll be playing the first teamers once per week to keep up the match rhythm ahead of the final. It's just your shitty luck that it ended up having to be against you guys ;)

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think we want to get 2nd wrapped up as soon as possible so will at the very least be wanting to avoid defeat. In addition to that we'll be playing the first teamers once per week to keep up the match rhythm ahead of the final. It's just your shitty luck that it ended up having to be against you guys ;)
True, we're struggling to blame anyone else but it's really hard mental gymnastics. :(

Longshanks

nope, can't use hands or arms on backpass or throw in, if it's going in the net they can head it or use any part of the body bar hands/arms, if they handle it on the line I think the free kick takes place on the edge of the 6 yard box
The early 90's was absolute carnage for backpasses, quite a common site the indirect free kick inside the box the entire defending team lined up accross the goal line and the pinball in the area that quite often followed. Very rare sight these days.

Its hard to believe that there was such a massive rule change in the world game can't imagine anything like it happening again.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The early 90's was absolute carnage for backpasses, quite a common site the indirect free kick inside the box the entire defending team lined up accross the goal line and the pinball in the area that quite often followed. Very rare sight these days.

Its hard to believe that there was such a massive rule change in the world game can't imagine anything like it happening again.
It took Liverpool 30 years to adapt from that miserable rule. I’ve seen clips of Hansen 20 yards into the opposition half, turn back to his own goal and hoof it 70 yards back into Grobbelaar’s hands.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Does anyone else get a bit depressed with this, “top four b******s”? We are in the actual FA cup final, and many kids are telling me that they dont care about the FAcup, as “top four“ is more important. It has become so important that maybe there should be trophies for it! If we manage it, we can parade our “top four” trophy on an open top bus.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Does anyone else get a bit depressed with this, “top four b******s”? We are in the actual FA cup final, and many kids are telling me that they dont care about the FAcup, as “top four“ is more important. It has become so important that maybe there should be trophies for it! If we manage it, we can parade our “top four” trophy on an open top bus.
FA Cup will never lose its glamour to me. I dont agree with it happening before the season ends, though, nor do/did i like the 5.30 KO's

What id give for the old days of waking up 9am cup final day, and having about 6 hours of build up on BBC with Des Lynam. The cup final songs. etc

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
3rd. Leicester City (GP 36, Pts 66, GD +21) - max points 72
18th May: Chelsea (a)
23rd May: Tottenham Hotspur (h)

4th. Chelsea (GP 36, Pts 64, GD +22) - max points 70
18th May: Leicester City (h)
23rd May: Aston Villa (a)

5th. West Ham United (GP 35, Pts 58, GD +10) - max points 67
15th May: Brighton & Hove Albion (a)
19th May: West Bromwich Albion (a)
23rd May: Southampton (h)

6th. Liverpool (GP 34, Pts 57, GD +18) - max points 69
13th May: Manchester United (a)
16th May: West Bromwich Albion (a)
19th May: Burnley (a)
23rd May: Crystal Palace (h)

7th. Tottenham Hotspur (GP 35, Pts 56, GD +20) - max points 65
16th May: Wolverhampton Wanderers (h)
19th May: Aston Villa (h)
23rd May: Leicester City (a)

8th. Everton (GP 35, Pts 56, GD +4) - max points 65
16th May: Sheffield United (h)
19th May: Wolverhampton Wanderers (h)
23rd May: Manchester City (a)

Everton still hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

Yeah, I remember when it first came in, definitely the best law change since I've been watching football

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
FA Cup will never lose its glamour to me. I dont agree with it happening before the season ends, though, nor do/did i like the 5.30 KO's

What id give for the old days of waking up 9am cup final day, and having about 6 hours of build up on BBC with Des Lynam. The cup final songs. etc
“Who’ll win the cup”, on Friday night!

Thunderhead

Supports
City

Yep, always a brilliant day, interviews at the team hotel and on the coach, celebrity fans, question of sport special, shit final songs of yesteryear

cyberman

We have well and truely fecked over Chelsea in these last few days. We cant even pretend its down to Liverpool being great, we were so disinterested that any analysis is worthless. All about the final