Top 4 race / race abandoned (or maybe not) / Leicester & Chelsea in the process of bottling it

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sort of but you've been consistently poor the majority of the season, where Leicester have been consistently good until the late bottle job. It's not luck you're fighting for top 4, you've been rubbish. Lucky for you top 4 fight looks like it'll fall your way because teams above have fallen over themselves and messed it up, happens regularly. Fell our way last season in a similar way, but at least we were forced to put in a pretty good run.
Could you explain to me how we got to the top of the league during the holiday period by being consistently poor in the first half of the season then?

As for Utd being "forced to put in a pretty good run" last season... We've been unbeaten in the league for more than two months now, with 6 wins in our last 8 games including a big Old Trafford win. If we eventually do get top 4 we'll have been unbeaten for the last 10 games of the season. So you can say that's also "a pretty good run".

Judas

Open to offers
If you want to defend your season as a Liverpool fan fair enough, your standards should be a bit higher now though I'd have thought. I've said it countless times, if Liverpool go on a run of winning these last what 6 games, they deserve top 4 because they'll have done what the rest of the slop couldn't do and that's be consistent when it matters.

Top of the league during the holiday period trophy winners. When's the parade?

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
If you want to defend your season as a Liverpool fan fair enough, your standards should be a bit higher now though I'd have though. I've said it countless times, if Liverpool go on a win of winning these last what 6 games, they deserve top 4 because they'll have done what the rest of the slop couldn't do and that's be consistent when it matters.

I do think we might deserve a parade for being top halfway through the season even when we were "consistently poor the majority of it" yeah.

I'm not defending our season, it's been poor and even very poor if you looked at the expectations before the start, although there are mitigating factors. Getting top 4 would be a relief, not something to really celebrate imo. But we indeed would deserve it if we get it.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
I do think we might deserve a parade for being top halfway through the season even when we were "consistently poor the majority of it" yeah.

I'm not defending our season, it's been poor and even very poor if you looked at the expectations before the start, although there are mitigating factors. Getting top 4 would be a relief, not something to really celebrate imo. But we indeed would deserve it if we get it.
Top four, schmop four, who cares?

cyberman

Could you explain to me how we got to the top of the league during the holiday period by being consistently poor in the first half of the season then?

As for Utd being "forced to put in a pretty good run" last season... We've been unbeaten in the league for more than two months now, with 6 wins in our last 8 games including a big Old Trafford win. If we eventually do get top 4 we'll have been unbeaten for the last 10 games of the season. So you can say that's also "a pretty good run".
Its the jammiest run ive seen in long time. Its 6 wins in 10 but its down to 2 ridiculous last min winners that its not 4 in 10 never mind coming to OT during our 4 games in 7 days run and getting a 3rd win.
I cant even tell what games you have even played well in apart from us.
You arent 5th based on quality, its by the skin of your teeth.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
I suppose the FA Cup win could help soften the blow a lot, but really you blew it even after United sort of gifted you the three points. Don't lose to Chelsea on Tuesday and i think you can make it by beating Spurs
Obviously I'd love a CL spot.

But if we don't get one, I'm ok with that now. Still over the moon with the FA cup win. I posted on here that my biggest fear was losing both the FA cup final and the top 4 spot and ending the season with nothing.

Finishing 5th (with more points than last year) and with an FA cup is an amazing season. Would be out of this world if we got top 4, but as a Leicester fan I don't think I've any right to complain about how this season has gone.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Gee I sure will be upset if they scrape into 4th again next season. What a dominant force they have been with their single title then massive capitulation.

Getting champions league football does not mean they will be signing 6 top players. I think it just about keeps their ability to retain their current wage bill.

No doubt some team will sell them a baller for 2 million up front like wolves did with Jota last summer. Thanks wolves, let me know how that worked out for you in the end.... cretins

TheLiverBird

If you want to defend your season as a Liverpool fan fair enough, your standards should be a bit higher now though I'd have though. I've said it countless times, if Liverpool go on a win of winning these last what 6 games, they deserve top 4 because they'll have done what the rest of the slop couldn't do and that's be consistent when it matters.

I think it’s natural for fans to pick the positives out of what has essentially in Liverpool’s case been a disappointing season.

3 seasons consisting of 2 CL finals, 2 record breaking league campaigns points wise to........this season where we’ll have no Trophy and a very underperforming EPL Title defence

It has in the grand scheme of things been disappointing, from the heights of the last 3 seasons, we’ve collapsed

we have had injuries to vital players, that has impacted our season but I’m not going to sit here and say “That’s the reason” purely because every team has injury problems, it how you deal with it mostly

But regardless to all that, we have to clinch top 4 and it’s in our hands to do so which personally many of us didn’t think possible just a few weeks ago, so naturally as disappointing as season as what it’s been, we are going to be very relieved and excited to to be in the race and able to actually achieve this target with 2 more wins.

It’s a positive out of a tragic Title defence season

it’s the only thing we have to play for, and considering it’s for a CL place, it’s quite a big deal

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Its the jammiest run ive seen in long time. Its 6 wins in 10 but its down to 2 ridiculous last min winners that its not 4 in 10 never mind coming to OT during our 4 games in 7 days run and getting a 3rd win.
I could easily make the same belittling remarks about Chelsea and Leicester too. Don't really care if people call it lucky or undeserved, it's just gonna be a relief (should we make it) when the season is over and we have the CL to look forward to next season (with hopefully Van Dijk back at full strength).

I still think, entirely in fashion of our entire season, that we'll feck it up though.

SATA

Obviously I'd love a CL spot.

But if we don't get one, I'm ok with that now. Still over the moon with the FA cup win. I posted on here that my biggest fear was losing both the FA cup final and the top 4 spot and ending the season with nothing.

Finishing 5th (with more points than last year) and with an FA cup is an amazing season. Would be out of this world if we got top 4, but as a Leicester fan I don't think I've any right to complain about how this season has gone.
That's an absolute fair assessment from a Leicester fan point of view. You are on a high with only two games left. Chelsea players could still be feeling deflated from Saturday's cup loss. Very important that you don't lose at Chelsea and the momentum could see you beat Spurs on home turf. Hope you make it at the expense of the renties or dippers

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If Leicester win against Chelsea and we draw away against Burnley (a quite likely scenario), then Liverpool and Chelsea will be equal on points and goal difference going into the final game.

Just need to run up the score against Palace. What could possibly go wrong? :nervous:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If we're still level on goal difference and points after the last game, Liverpool likely takes 4th on account of having scored more goals (8 more at this stage).

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Gee I sure will be upset if they scrape into 4th again next season. What a dominant force they have been with their single title then massive capitulation.

Getting champions league football does not mean they will be signing 6 top players. I think it just about keeps their ability to retain their current wage bill.

No doubt some team will sell them a baller for 2 million up front like wolves did with Jota last summer. Thanks wolves, let me know how that worked out for you in the end.... cretins
Jota cost them £41m :lol:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The most likely scenario now is Liverpool getting in and Leicester dropping out I think.

But it’s absolutely far from over. We all had Liverpool winning comfortably yesterday and look how that worked out. Their centre backs are dreadful and palace and Burnley will cause them problems.

likewise Chelsea and Leicester will both have ups and downs in their remaining games.

let’s just assume Liverpool will get in and enjoy the entertainment.. anything else is then a bonus

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If Leicester win against Chelsea and we draw away against Burnley (a quite likely scenario), then Liverpool and Chelsea will be equal on points and goal difference going into the final game.

Just need to run up the score against Palace. What could possibly go wrong? :nervous:
I think it's done. Momentum is everything in these sort of races. We came back from absolutely nowhere last year because we were on a roll and Leicester was the absolutely opposite. Same thing is happening this year. Yeah they've won a game or two of late but it's too little too late imo. The momentum has shifted.

Chelsea and Liverpool for top 4.

Redlyn

You have lost all objectivity with this one. They are 5th based on their quality. On what basis can you assume a team with fewer points is of better quality. And since when are last minute winners a negative, have you forgotten about Fergie time.

Kostov

If you want to defend your season as a Liverpool fan fair enough, your standards should be a bit higher now though I'd have thought. I've said it countless times, if Liverpool go on a run of winning these last what 6 games, they deserve top 4 because they'll have done what the rest of the slop couldn't do and that's be consistent when it matters.

Please don't talk about standards, they embarrassed us at our own ground with a fecking championship CB and a kid who barely weights 65kg.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think this is incorrect. Spurs finished 4th in 2012 but did not qualify due to Chelsea's cl win.
That was in 2012. The rules were since changed so a maximum of five teams from one country could be in the Champions League. In 2017-18 England had five with Chelsea, Spurs and City qualifying automatically through the league, Liverpool having a play-off game for finishing fourth and Manchester United qualifying automatically due to winning the Europa.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
I think it's done. Momentum is everything in these sort of races. We came back from absolutely nowhere last year because we were on a roll and Leicester was the absolutely opposite. Same thing is happening this year. Yeah they've won a game or two of late but it's too little too late imo. The momentum has shifted.

Chelsea and Liverpool for top 4.
I agree that's the most likely at this stage. But still can't really call it "done" - if we do beat Chelsea, then the Tottenham game is irrelevant for us, since Chelsea won't be able to finish ahead of us. Anything can happen in one game.

If it relies on us needing a result against Spurs while we're at home (where we suck), then we're scuppered.

amolbhatia50k

I agree that's the most likely at this stage. But still can't really call it "done" - if we do beat Chelsea, then the Tottenham game is irrelevant for us, since Chelsea won't be able to finish ahead of us. Anything can happen in one game.

If it relies on us needing a result against Spurs while we're at home (where we suck), then we're scuppered.
Do you really fancy beating Chelsea twice in a row and that too at the Bridge this time? I think a draw would be a fine result.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Do you really fancy beating Chelsea twice in a row and that too at the Bridge this time? I think a draw would be a fine result.
Do I think we're odds on to do it? Not at all. Chelsea are definitely favourites - they're a good side, with a deeper squad, and will be out for revenge.

But do I think it's possible? Well, we've beaten them twice this season so far. The fact that it's away is even better. We've only lost twice away all season, while we've lost 8 times at home. So while we're not favourites, I don't think it's an unlikely scenario.

Also, I reckon the fact that a draw is much better for us than it is for Chelsea will play into our hands. We don't need to go chasing the game.

amolbhatia50k

Do I think we're odds on to do it? Not at all. Chelsea are definitely favourites - they're a good side, with a deeper squad, and will be out for revenge.

But do I think it's possible? Well, we've beaten them twice this season so far. The fact that it's away is even better. We've only lost twice away all season, while we've lost 8 times at home. So while we're not favourites, I don't think it's an unlikely scenario.

Also, I reckon the fact that a draw is much better for us than it is for Chelsea will play into our hands. We don't need to go chasing the game.
Best of luck. Would it if the Foxes did it. You've got too much right the last few years to not get CL footy. But upto your team to give it one last incredible push.

cyberman

You have lost all objectivity with this one. They are 5th based on their quality. On what basis can you assume a team with fewer points is of better quality. And since when are last minute winners a negative, have you forgotten about Fergie time.
No, what im saying is that its taken a ridulously loaded run to even stay fifth. They are the fifth best team in the league. Fifth. They used so much luck up against West Brom that id be scared to cross a road if i were Klopp
Everybody is talking as if they are top 4 already, theyre not. You can have good runs and lucky runs, this is just a lucky run

amolbhatia50k

No, what im saying is that its taken a ridulously loaded run to even stay fifth. They are the fifth best team in the league. Fifth. They used so much luck up against West Brom that id be scared to cross a road if i were Klopp
Everybody is talking as if they are top 4 already, theyre not. You can have good runs and lucky runs, this is just a lucky run
Well they have a great chance of 4th now so in terms of the league after all that's happened we and them may just end up with nothing much different - CL footy.

cyberman

Well they have a great chance of 4th now so in terms of the league after all that's happened we and them may just end up with nothing much different - CL footy.
Even then its a good chance, not a great chance. If Leicester lose v Chelsea by a goal and Liverpool win by a goal, all Leicester has to do is to go 2-0 up v Spurs to scare the shit out of them and when spurs lose they are overwhelmingly conceding more than 1 goal in that loss. I dont think fans are appreciating how tight this really is. Its on a knife edge. Going to Burnley with fans and having to beat Spurs with fans could be huge factors and, ad a Utd fan, slightly unfair on Liverpool if im being honest.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Only way I see the Dippers not getting top 4 is if Chelsea win tomorrow, then somehow the Dippers don't score too many and Leicester pummel Spurs. Cannot see it happening to be honest, it'll be the Dippers plus 1.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Only way I see the Dippers not getting top 4 is if Chelsea win tomorrow, then somehow the Dippers don't score too many and Leicester pummel Spurs. Cannot see it happening to be honest, it'll be the Dippers plus 1.
Liverpool won't win their two remaining games, they will drop points.

POF

Liverpool are nailed on to get top 4. They needed someone to hand them a lifeline to get some momentum going. The postponed OT fixture did that.

Of course, it's worth it for the bigger picture of getting the Glazers to hand the club over to the fans, which will happen any day now . . . . .

SATA

Burnley at Turf Moor with fans in attendance, won’t be easy. We all thought the dippers would blow away an already relegated West Brom but they needed a last minute goal from their GK

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The initial payment was only 4m. Was a big part of why we could afford it, allegedly, with us being so cash strapped that summer.
Which is a disgrace given they were meant to be all about trying to get top 4 themselves, then they go and strengthen a top 4 rival and even worse, not becase you made them an offer so good they couldn't say no. No, Wolves give you one of their best players effectively on tick with a 6 year payment plan. YCNMIU

Posh Red

At the expense of which team/country?
At the expense of which team/country?
Not sure exactly, but the winner of the champions league is never guaranteed to qualify through league position. I’m guessing it’s the other way round, and an ‘extra’ position is given out somewhere if the winner of the champions league has already qualified via league position.

Posh Red

If it goes to head-to-head, is it the results or goal difference that counts?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Burnley at Turf Moor with fans in attendance, won’t be easy. We all thought the dippers would blow away an already relegated West Brom but they needed a last minute goal from their GK
It is ok, they'll have the ref give them freekicks when it is meant to be a drop ball and if Burnley score, they'll come up with some BS offside to ensure they're ok.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool are nailed on to get top 4. They needed someone to hand them a lifeline to get some momentum going. The postponed OT fixture did that.

Of course, it's worth it for the bigger picture of getting the Glazers to hand the club over to the fans, which will happen any day now . . . . .
Seems like a different team has been nailed on to get top 4 every week for the past 4 weeks.

TheLiverBird

Everyone knows facing a relegated team is a Bogey team

why?

they simply have nothing to lose

I too was hoping we’d blow them away, but in truth we were the team under pressure, they were not

yet we still won

I agree though that Burnley won’t be easy

Lee565

I must be one of the few that would prefer seeing pool finish above Chelsea for 4th, for me personally I will never root for a oil/state backed club over a self sufficient