Top 4 race / race abandoned (or maybe not) / Leicester & Chelsea in the process of bottling it

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Cross that Bridge if/when we come to it, prioritizing trying to qualify for next year's CL over trying to win the one we're currently in would be wrong on so many levels.
Don't see why we have to choose one over the other though. We have a big enough squad to take both seriously.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'd rather win the FA cup and finish 5th than 2nd-4th and win nothing.

If it was up to me I'd give the 4 champions League spots to 1st and 2nd placed teams in the league and also to the two domestic cup winners.

There shouldn't be a fantastic reward for finishing fecking 4th.

BorisManUtd

2 very important games today in relation to top 4 race. West Ham have done great to even be in their current position, would be suprising for me if they won today against Leicester but hopefully they can take at least a point.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

If it was up to me I'd give the 4 champions League spots to 1st and 2nd placed teams in the league and also to the two domestic cup winners.

I would rather get top four than win the FA cup, just because I can't remember the last time I cared about who won the FA cup, or even the last final I watched where it looked like either of the teams particularly cared. Our last one against you was like a testimonial game, and I can't even remember any of the finals since.

I agree with giving a CL place to the cup winners instead of 3rd/4th place though. It's probably the only way to give some real meaning back to the cup competitions.

The problem either way though is teams like City who can afford to have 22 first team players will just monopolise the cup competitions (which already happens tbh), and it would revert back to basically being top four anyway.

I think the only real way around it is to introduce some kind of overall spending or salary cap to stop big teams hoarding all the good players, but that will never happen, and even when there are rules as we've seen with City, PSG etc. if you can afford expensive lawyers it doesn't matter

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can see Leicester collapsing again this season. They have a huge game today against West Ham, but Chelsea and Liverpool are on them either way, and I’m not sure if they can resist the heat.

It will cause the Brendon Rogers mystique to be seriously questioned of they collapse twice in a row. He is continually hailed as a genius, but South of the border, has continued to fall just short of his targets so far. It’s only the fact that he is falling short in impressive fashion that is saving him.

Bertie Wooster

I'd definitely prefer a draw between West Ham and Leicester today. But, if someone wins, who would people prefer?

They play before us, so we don't know if we'll later lose and open up the door a bit for those behind us, or if we win and are focusing more on tying up 2nd place. As regards the race for top 4, it would probably be better if West Ham lost? As regards the race for 2nd place, it would be better if Leicester lost.

So I guess the main questions are: do people still think we're in a battle for top 4? And, if so, do they see West Ham as a genuine threat for top 4? If yes to both, would it be better for a Leicester win to all but knock West Ham out the race? Or a West Ham win to keep them both in it but with still a gap to Leicester? I'm torn, apart from cheering for a draw.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'd definitely prefer a draw between West Ham and Leicester today. But, if someone wins, who would people prefer?

They play before us, so we don't know if we'll later lose and open up the door a bit for those behind us, or if we win and are focusing more on tying up 2nd place. As regards the race for top 4, it would probably be better if West Ham lost? As regards the race for 2nd place, it would be better if Leicester lost.

So I guess the main questions are: do people still think we're in a battle for top 4? And, if so, do they see West Ham as a genuine threat for top 4? If yes to both, would it be better for a Leicester win to all but knock West Ham out the race? Or a West Ham win to keep them both in it but with still a gap to Leicester? I'm torn, apart from cheering for a draw.
I'd rather West Ham win than Leicester as they are the least threatening of taking one of the places. We are still in a battle especially if we lose today.

Bertie Wooster

I'd rather West Ham win than Leicester as they are the least threatening of taking one of the places. We are still in a battle especially if we lose today.
Yeah, good point, I think a West Ham win but would be better than a Leicester win even for the race for top 4. But I'd much prefer a draw to hinder both their chances, even if it gives Leicester an extra point.

cyberman

Just enjoy the game! This place worries too much about ifs and buts. I remember before the West Ham game being told Spurs would be 6 points behind us before today

Bertie Wooster

Just enjoy the game! This place worries too much about ifs and buts. I remember before the West Ham game being told Spurs would be 6 points behind us before today
I can't enjoy games that feature our rivals! Not unless I already knew they lost and could enjoy watching it unfold. :lol:

Matches like this aren't 'entertainment' for me. It's all about the league table, and how each result will effect us. I'm over invested, I guess. And over think it all. But I'm too far gone to change all that now. :)

Judas

Open to offers
These two teams are fighting out who finishes just below us. People worry too much. We could very well lose today, there will be mass panic, but in terms of top 4 there shouldn't be.

Jonno

Really enjoying the top 4 fight having been above it all season. Makes a nice Change.

Liverpool even with their fortunate win yesterday are having to try overtake both Chelsea AND West Ham for 4th.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
We’ve turned into Spurs and are going to bottle the top 4 again.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It'' be same as last seasons top 4. albeit different positions. All of the teams vying for the spots have games against each other, or close rivals, where pts can be dropped.

My money is on City, Utd, top 2. Then pool chelsea 3 and 4

C'est Moi Cantona

Really enjoying the top 4 fight having been above it all season. Makes a nice Change.

Liverpool even with their fortunate win yesterday are having to compete with both Chelsea AND West Ham for 4th.
3 rd is there for taking, a couple of bad results and we could even be sucked into it yet.

Djemba-Djemba

These two teams are fighting out who finishes just below us. People worry too much. We could very well lose today, there will be mass panic, but in terms of top 4 there shouldn't be.
It would take an absolutely mad collapse and series of results for us to miss out on top 4.

People really need to stop worrying

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You only had to look at Leicester's run in a month ago to see this was on the cards

I just hope West Ham don't fall away as well as it really would be hilarious if one of Liverpool and Chelsea miss out (as well as obviously Spurs and Arsenal)

C'est Moi Cantona

Yeah, but I back us to finish 2nd. We’re the most consistent team by a mile in the 2nd-6th bracket.
I do aswell really, only said it as we don't have great fixtures, but it's a stretch to think three teams will come past us at this point.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

It would take an absolutely mad collapse and series of results for us to miss out on top 4.

People really need to stop worrying
But it's a possibility, and that's all some people (myself included) 'worry' about.

At this stage of the league season, fans of all clubs are looking at the table 'worrying' about the things that most effect their team - promotion, play offs, relegation, etc. Our battle is the top 4. Yes, we're in a very good position to achieve it. But it's not confirmed so it's still valid to look at tables and fixtures and work out scenarios and what teams we'd like to lose, etc.

TBH, my main priority for the rest of the season is us winning the Europa League. But, when it's the league matches taking place, attention turns to the battle for the top 4 which, although going well, is far from over.

Dr. StrangeHate

I think we should give first 3 positions CL and one position should go to FA cup winner. The League cup winner should get Europa.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm a negative nancy and I still am baffled about people being that worried. I'm not convinced we'll finish 2nd, but it would be mind bogglingly tragic and a collapse of a pathetic level to miss out on top 4 from here.

padr81

Supports
Man City
How do Leicester continually start the season looking like world beaters, get in a bit of a title race and slowly fall away to eventually miss out on the CL. I'll say one thing its consistent. I see no way for them to get in CL now given the respective fixtures. If Spurs beat United today, it'll be really close between 5 teams with a potential Everton to add to the mix.

Guy Incognito

You only had to look at Leicester's run in a month ago to see this was on the cards

I just hope West Ham don't fall away as well as it really would be hilarious if one of Liverpool and Chelsea miss out (as well as obviously Spurs and Arsenal)
Vardy's been quiet lately, and he is basically their attack.

How do Leicester continually start the season looking like world beaters, get in a bit of a title race and slowly fall away to eventually miss out on the CL. I'll say one thing its consistent. I see no way for them to get in CL now given the respective fixtures. If Spurs beat United today, it'll be really close between 5 teams with a potential Everton to add to the mix.
To get into the top four you usually just need to peak in March-May time. That's pretty much how Wenger made it look easy at Arsenal.

For Leicester to bottle a 14-point lead and now this, questions must be asked of Rodgers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But it's a possibility, and that's all some people (myself included) 'worry' about.

At this stage of the league season, fans of all clubs are looking at the table 'worrying' about the things that most effect their team - promotion, play offs, relegation, etc. Our battle is the top 4. Yes, we're in a very good position to achieve it. But it's not confirmed so it's still valid to look at tables and fixtures and work out scenarios and what teams we'd like to lose, etc.

TBH, my main priority for the rest of the season is us winning the Europa League. But, when it's the league matches taking place, attention turns to the battle for the top 4 which, although going well, is far from over.
By this token, our priority is to win the title, and so far that still remains a possibility so that is what we should be focussing on.

Djemba-Djemba

Becoming a worrying trend with Rodgers.

He's a very good manager but that and his dreadful European record are huge flaws.

padr81

Supports
Man City

He's a very good manager but that and his dreadful European record are huge flaws.
For sure, for all the stick he gets I like Rodgers but if I was a top club looking at him, I'd be worried about him shitting the bed when the going gets tough.
For all the slippy G nonsense, it was him trying to beat Palace 85-0 instead of accepting a 3-0 lead that won City the title in 13/14. And its starting to be a clear pattern with Leicester, dunno if he's running them into the ground as they never look leggy like say Liverpool but its a big issue.

charlenefan

West Ham's remaining games

Newcastle A
Chelsea H
Burnley A
Everton H
Brighton A
West Brom A
Southampton H

Its a favourable fixture list and given the momentum gained by beating the sides they have they might just go and do it

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
People place way too much emphasis on the league table after 15, or even 20 or so games. It's so volatile at that point, and the table was utterly bonkers around Xmas this year considering how things have panned out. I'd argue xG at that stage is actually far more insightful to understand who is likely to finish where and what is possible. Leicester missing out again on CL has been unlikely due to their strong points haul, but always plausible because they overperformed early again.

Bertie Wooster

By this token, our priority is to win the title, and so far that still remains a possibility so that is what we should be focussing on.
Yeah, it's a mathematical possibility. And I was pleased City lost yesterday for that reason. But it's the least likely possibility than us winning the Europa League and us being in a battle for the top 4. So they're the main two I'm focusing on.

But if we keep winning and City drop more points, and it becomes a more realistic possibility than us being overtaken by the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, etc, then I'll post more on a thread about our title challenge. Currently the top 4 thread seems a more relevant place to discuss.

Matst1

Do you Liverpool fans see West Ham winning a good thing? I think Chelsea are safe to finish 3rd, its between Leicester, WH and Pool for fourth place. Pool have the easiest run-in and Leicester and WH have tough games. I think Pool will catch them both for 4th. Gonna be tight though.

charlenefan

Do you Liverpool fans see West Ham winning a good thing? I think Chelsea are safe to finish 3rd, its between Leicester, WH and Pool for fourth place. Pool have the easiest run-in and Leicester and WH have tough games. I think Pool will catch them both for 4th. Gonna be tight though.
Liverpool will finish ahead of Chelsea

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

I don't know if people are aware, but news was firmed up during the match that Rodgers basically had to exclude Maddison, Perez and Choudhury for undermining him and breaking COVID regulations. I feel a bit for him in that regard. How can Leicester players not be motivated right now?

charlenefan

You really think so, i really dont. Chelsea are solid, a lot more so than Pool.
Chelsea's games are harder and will likely have at least 2 more UCL games to play (and they're still in the FA Cup as well)

West Brom would also argue about their solidness as well ;)

Cloud7

Our fanbase really can’t enjoy anything :lol:

We aren’t going to be caught and drop out of top 4. We’re as safe as we’ve ever been in recent seasons.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Our fanbase really can’t enjoy anything :lol:

We aren’t going to be caught and drop out of top 4. We’re as safe as we’ve ever been in recent seasons.
Chelsea have to play City, Leicester and West Ham, so one of those will definitely drop points...
We would need to win 5 of our remaining 8 games assuming that Liverpool won all of theirs...we have to play them also.
Whilst it could happen, I think we are safe in the top four.
A win today would go a long way to cementing that though, as it would effectively put spurs out of the race.