Top 4 race / race abandoned (or maybe not) / Leicester & Chelsea in the process of bottling it

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not putting a negative spin on it, the talk wasn’t that he’s been terrible or worse than Lampard or hasn’t stopped a slump in form. It was more that it’s been unspectacular and Chelsea upturn is exaggerated and has benefitted from the better fixtures (which iirc Lampard picked up more or less the same results against those sides).
I dunno, if you’re happy with the football you’re seeing than it is what it is. But I’m personally surprised by the cautious teams he’s been picking. The sideways defensive passing and lack of goals and chances created. Of course it can’t change overnight but it’s not quite been the big reaction that was maybe expected or that has been stated.
I think Tuchel's tenure so far has been fairly rated. Some have gotten a little overexcited (mostly other United fans tbh), others have been distinctly unimpressed. We have played really good football in some games, struggled in others. I don't think anybody expected Tuchel to come in mid-season and turn us prime Barca overnight.

He's not a perfect coach, but we have stopped conceding goals, and we're scoring them at an ok rate, even if slightly underwhelming. The football I have watched is OK. I have really enjoyed some of the games. We must remember he took over an underperforming team with woefully out of form star players. I was surprised that he chose to set up the team a bit too pragmatically but with hindsight it fully makes sense.

The Atletico Madrid performance and result shows me we're going places with Tuchel.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
It was never considered a failure. Everyone was positive until the disastrous pre season where you could see Mourinho had gone into self destruct mode sulking due to the shambolic transfer window we had.
Lovely rewriting of history. A major number of fans had turned on him after the CL exit, plenty wanted him out before the summer really kicked off because of the toxic miserable atmosphere he'd created. It was a horrible time to be a Utd fan, we'd finished 2nd and it felt hopeless and lifeless. Then he didn't get backed making him even worse and put the writing firmly on the walls of what was about to happen.

I knew he "deserved" another season due to finishing 2nd, but I can remember saying on here that I'd love him gone, and I certainly wasn't the only one.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Lovely rewriting of history. A major number of fans had turned on him after the CL exit, plenty wanted him out before the summer really kicked off because of the toxic miserable atmosphere he'd created. It was a horrible time to be a Utd fan, we'd finished 2nd and it felt hopeless and lifeless. Then he didn't get backed making him even worse and put the writing firmly on the walls of what was about to happen.

I knew he "deserved" another season due to finishing 2nd, but I can remember saying on here that I'd love him gone, and I certainly wasn't the only one.
My memory of it too

Siorac

Also since SAF retired you've spent more than city in gross and nett terms, since 2010 which is the last decade City have only spent about £100 million more, we've just spent it's better
You keep saying this but it's simply not true.

Transfer spending since the 2013 summer window

Now, if you were to say that the difference in spending is nowhere near enough to explain the gulf in class between the two squads, I'd agree with you. But that's not what you're saying.

Alfie092

All depends if top 4 is mathmatically done and Ole decides to rest players if Utd reach the latter stages of the cup competitions. Then finishing 2nd or 4th won't matter.
Agree. I would far prefer us finishing 4th and winning the FA Cup and/or the Europa League. That's more progression to me than finishing 2nd and winning no trophies...

However, having finished 3rd last season, we should aim for at least 3rd and a trophy. I would take that right now if the season ended today and that would be my minimum goal.

Bojan11

We going to regret these dropped points vs Sheffield United, West Brom and Palace. Frustrating as we could have secured second place.

Infra-red

Two wins in our last eight league games. That is not top 4 form. We need to turn it around quickly or we'll plummet down the table.

City, AC Milan, West Ham, AC Milan, Leicester, Brighton, Spurs up next... bad time to hit another famous Ole slump.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
It's strange. We're still going to take second place so comfortably.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
How many on here genuinely think we'd finish second? I think we would be lucky to scrape 4th and I don't think I'm being overtly dramatic.

I also don't see us getting anything against City.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Possible worst case scenario this week/weekend;

Leicester could be two ahead of us. Chelsea could be 1 behind us or Liverpool could be 2 behind us, depending how tomorrow goes. West Ham could be 3 behind us.

This has fallen to pieces when top 4 should've been a stroll.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Possible worst case scenario this week/weekend;

Leicester could be two ahead of us. Chelsea could be 1 behind us or Liverpool could be 2 behind us, depending how tomorrow goes. West Ham could be 3 behind us.

This has fallen to pieces when top 4 should've been a stroll.
Spurs could also be 5 behind with a game in hand.

Redfrog

With the way we are playing recently, I don't even think we will be in top 4.
We aren't losing but we aren't winning either and look horrible against any team we play against.
Apparently Pogba is coming back soon. I just hope we will have more creativity.

The football is horrible at the moment, every match is a core. Even against Sociedad wasn't that good. They just played a high line and were very naive.

This team is just capable of some good runs once or twice every season but will let you down at the end.

Wayne's World

We won't finish in the top 4. The performances are alarming

We were producing this at the start of the season and somehow won games, now we aren't and there's no plan B to change it.

Inter Yer Nan

I still think we'll make it but we'll be made to sweat. This team is still not good at performing and/or getting results when it counts. We've had some good opportunities lately to A) Stay in the title race and then B) Create some distance between us and third.

Rajma

It will be a battle for the final top 4 spot between us, Leicester and Everton. Chelsea and Liverpool are nailed on to be there.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It will be a battle for the final top 4 spot between us, Leicester and Everton. Chelsea and Liverpool are nailed on to be there.
The only club nailed on to finish in top 4 at the moment are Man City imo.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Hopefully a draw tonight between Chelsea and Liverpool.

Here's me thinking a couple of months back that we don't need to worry about those in 4th/5th.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
United will probably hit some sort of form again before end of the season. Every single team has been dreadful for parts of the season. I feel players are drained, I feel drained watching Premier League every few days myself!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
United will probably hit some sort of form again before end of the season. Every single team has been dreadful for parts of the season. I feel players are drained, I feel drained watching Premier League every few days myself!
You'd have to hope so. Maybe the international break, if we don't allow some players to go might be the break that we need.

Going to be tough watching getting there though.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yep, totally agree. How quickly you can come out that spell will determine where each club will finish. Ours earlier in the season lasted a bit too long which is why we find ourselves so low down in the table currently. If it does drag on you soon slip down. Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton have all had similar spells. Think Leicester might be going through that spell currently.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool absolutely need a win tonight.

Still think Utd is too far ahead to be caught, it's not like the teams behind them are playing well and are consistenly picking up points either. Leicester might slip again just like last season. It'll come down to the chasing pack to string together enough wins on the bounce, but questionable whether anyone can.

cyberman

This is going to be a poor end to the season, quality wise. Teams look exhausted going into the home straight after this exhausting season.
Still think its City, Utd and 2 others. I cant see what 3 teams will go on a run and overtake us never mind Leicester halting a freefall.

Wilt

Wouldn’t be shocked if Spurs got into the mix. They have games in hand.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't see how you can genuinely think this. I feel good about our chances, but no chance that we're nailed on.

cyberman

I don't see how you can genuinely think this. I feel good about our chances, but no chance that we're nailed on.
Its self hate. It was months of this nonsense last year when we were chasing you.
We should be ok when Pogba gets back in a week or 2