Top 4 race / race abandoned (or maybe not) / Leicester & Chelsea in the process of bottling it

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
West Ham losing Rice may hurt their chances.
The issue for Chelsea and Leicester are Liverpool, Spurs and Everton. WHU have had a good season, but I don't see them actually getting 4th, even with Rice.

cyberman

West Ham are a real problem. They have 3 games Against Chelsea, Leicester and Everton but the rest are West Brom, Newcastle, Southampton, Brighton and Burnely. Even with their injuries those are more than winnable.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Relatively easy run in, no pressure or expectation to finish top 4, one game per week. Perfect environment for Moyes. They could actually finish top 4.

Infra-red

So, aside from United, who do we want to make it ("NOT Liverpool" is a given, obviously).

West Ham and Leicester?

Everton? Spurs? Villa? Presumably, not Chelsea.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So, aside from United, who do we want to make it ("NOT Liverpool" is a given, obviously).

West Ham and Leicester?
Of course. Or Everton but they're certified bottlejobs so no point even rooting for them.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
West Ham are a real problem. They have 3 games Against Chelsea, Leicester and Everton but the rest are West Brom, Newcastle, Southampton, Brighton and Burnely. Even with their injuries those are more than winnable.
They may get something against Chelsea and Everton but would struggle against West brom ,Burnley and Brighton.

Mr. Ant

David Moyes wasn't kidding when he said he's a champions league level manager all those years ago.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

West Ham and Leicester?

Everton? Spurs? Villa? Presumably, not Chelsea.
well yeah City we can't do anything about but us, Leicester and West Ham would be great albeit let's be honest for coefficient purposes that wouldn't do the PL any favours:lol:

cyberman

They may get something against Chelsea and Everton but would struggle against West brom ,Burnley and Brighton.
I dunno. A few teams on the beach there. Its others stumbling which will let them in imo. Chelsea still have City away, Liverpool comes to OT.
Edit if they hold on here. Jesus Christ West Ham.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Obviously as a Leicester fan I would love to see us make top four but I think it is going to be a very difficult task. Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs & W Ham are all going to be pushing very hard for what I think are two available spots.
Can Brendan keep Leicester focused for the last eight games after missing out last season?
Liverpool have the players with experience to get it done & Spurs are a loose cannon under Jose.
Chelsea have been great under Tuchel until W Brom & Lingard is keeping W Ham in it.
It's going to be a nail biter !

Cloud7

Crazy that we’re 30 games in and West Ham are in fourth. I hope they hold on to it.

My ideal top 4 would be City (bleh), United, Leicester and West Ham

Suedesi

I'm pretty confident will make it, but that's because I'm a little nonplussed about playing CL football next year.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Crazy that we’re 30 games in and West Ham are in fourth. I hope they hold on to it.

My ideal top 4 would be City (bleh), United, Leicester and West Ham
Would be fun to see that as well. Listen, they both have a really decent shot. They play each other at the weekend which becomes a big game, & in a couple of weeks it's West Ham vs Chelsea which will be massive as well.

Said it before but Leicester's final 3 games are brutal, vs Utd, Chelsea & Spurs. They could be a few points clear in 3rd & still get pegged back & drop out right at the end if they lose all 3.

It's all to play for from 9th up really, although I expect Chelsea & Liverpool to do enough to get in, I hope I'm wrong.

bond19821982

People are assuming we will make it. I don't think it's going to be that easy for us though. Chelsea can get a maximum of 75 points, meaning we need atleast 16 points from 8 games to guarantee top 4 .

Amarsdd

People are assuming we will make it. I don't think it's going to be that easy for us though. Chelsea can get a maximum of 75 points, meaning we need atleast 16 points from 8 games to guarantee top 4 .
In addition to assuming Chelsea get the maximum points, you also seem to be assuming Leicester, West Ham, Liverpool, and to an extent Tottenham getting the majority of their points. I think its a lot less likely than us getting 15 more points. And also most of them are playing each other with us into the mix.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
This logic is baffling. We don't need "at least" 16 points. "At least" 16 points implies that we might need more than 76 points which isn't the case. We don't even need 16 points because you haven't taken into consideration that 4th and 5th will face each other. No matter the result in that game the maximum for 5th position will automatically drop by 2-3 points.

3rd vs 4th = points dropped
3rd vs 5th = points dropped
4th vs 5th = points dropped
3rd vs 6th = points dropped

We need 4 wins. We will get 4 wins.

We might be inconsistent but the rest of the chasing pack is even more inconsistent.

Top 4 is secured for us. No need to create any drama about it.

bond19821982

This logic is baffling. We don't need "at least" 16 points. "At least" 16 points implies that we might need more than 76 points which isn't the case. We don't even need 16 points because you haven't taken into consideration that 4th and 5th will face each other. No matter the result in that game the maximum for 5th position will automatically drop by 2-3 points.

3rd vs 4th = points dropped
3rd vs 5th = points dropped
4th vs 5th = points dropped
3rd vs 6th = points dropped

We need 4 wins. We will get 4 wins.

We might be inconsistent but the rest of the chasing pack is even more inconsistent.

Top 4 is secured for us. No need to create any drama about it.
Yes my bad, "atleast" probably isn't the right word. We need 16 to ensure we will get top 4 not matter what happens with others.

Tapori

Obviously as a Leicester fan I would love to see us make top four but I think it is going to be a very difficult task. Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs & W Ham are all going to be pushing very hard for what I think are two available spots.
Can Brendan keep Leicester focused for the last eight games after missing out last season?
Liverpool have the players with experience to get it done & Spurs are a loose cannon under Jose.
Chelsea have been great under Tuchel until W Brom & Lingard is keeping W Ham in it.
What are your injuries and concerns in general?

I think most thhink you have the best chance to finish in that top 4 and could afford a few losses and draws on the way.
Shaping up to be crazy run-in for 3-9

bond19821982

In addition to assuming Chelsea get the maximum points, you also seem to be assuming Leicester, West Ham, Liverpool, and to an extent Tottenham getting the majority of their points. I think its a lot less likely than us getting 15 more points. And also most of them are playing each other with us into the mix.
Yeah, agree. 4-5 wins would guarantee us CL.

rotherham_red

It’s interesting to go back to the OP on this one. He was dead on about City.
The rest.... have a read.
Looking at the thread starter, are you surprised?

Also, it wasn't just him it seems the whole first page had us down as midtable :houllier:

Red00012

Ok

Lee565

If only west ham had not derailed against arsenal, I think they will look back on that game come the end of the season and say what if.

I think liverpool will squeeze into fourth with their best players slowly coming back from injuries.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It'd be nice from a 'not the usuals and not Liverpool' perspective but I cannot bring myself to want anything for West Ham except relegation.

Hateful club ran by hateful people with horrendously hateful fans.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
What are your injuries and concerns in general?

I think most thhink you have the best chance to finish in that top 4 and could afford a few losses and draws on the way.
Shaping up to be crazy run-in for 3-9
We have had a spate of injuries but are over the worst of them. We really miss Harvey Barnes but hopefully he will be back in the next month but James Justin who became a very important part of our back line is out long term (ACL)
I think experience is probably my biggest concern, being in a fight for top four is something new for most of our players. It went badly for us last season but hopefully we are mentally stronger this time around.

Matst1

People just love to moan don’t they, can’t be happy no matter our position.

city-puma

You have gotten one of the best managers. He has demonstrated this season he’s able to find a way to handle injuries. You will definitely finish in the top four and the only matter is No3 or 4 because I believe we will finish in No2 even though we have striker crisis now.

Tallis

Aside from Liverpool, it would be amazing to see Chelsea finish outside the top 4 after their 250m spend in the summer.

But I expect at least one of them will find their way into the Top 4. I struggle to see Spurs making it.

always_hoping

It'd be nice from a 'not the usuals and not Liverpool' perspective but I cannot bring myself to want anything for West Ham except relegation.

Hateful club ran by hateful people with horrendously hateful fans.
Yes for those hoping West Ham finish 4th its worth reminding they took great joy in stopping Man United finishing 4th under LVG and celebrated the 1-1 draw on the final day of the 1994/95 as much as Blackburn.

Water Melon

Yes for those hoping West Ham finish 4th its worth reminding they took great joy in stopping Man United finishing 4th under LVG and celebrated the 1-1 draw on the final day of the 1994/95 as much as Blackburn.
Exactly this.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Not a fan of West Ham at all, but it’s a no brainer compared to Liverpool of Chelsea so no surprise that’s what people want.

I don’t quite see the same level of worry for Liverpool, they have been awful for ages and one decent win over a shocking Arsenal side shouldn’t change that.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You have gotten one of the best managers. He has demonstrated this season he’s able to find a way to handle injuries. You will definitely finish in the top four and the only matter is No3 or 4 because I believe we will finish in No2 even though we have striker crisis now.
West Ham vs Leicester is a big game at the weekend. If West Ham win that & the likes of Chelsea & Liverpool win they are sucked back towards the chasing pack.

Then, as I mentioned, the 3 final games are vs Utd, Chelsea & Spurs, where they could very easily lose all 3. You certainly wouldn't want to go into those needing 6+ points to secure top 4.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Personally I'd rather Jose make top 4 than Moyes.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Personally I'd rather Jose make top 4 than Moyes.
I'm more rooting for West Ham purely down to Jesse being there and playing so well. Although I don't want him back, I'd love for him to make a success of his career elsewhere.