Top 6 Fan Groups - Who are the most sensible/knowledgeable

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Posting this as I am interested to see what other people think about the fan groups of other clubs when they speak to them about football.

The only caveat to this thread is that this does not include online interactions as I think the internet causes people to deliberately become contrary and extreme.

Anyway, this is my list:

1) Chelsea - Whenever I meet a Chelsea fan in real life I always find them to not match the stereotype that is portrayed of them online and in the media. In particular I find them reasonable on contentious decisions, knowledgeable on football in general and slightly self deprecating. Only times I find they get annoying is when they start winning as they can become overly hubristic.

2) City fans. Similar to Chelsea fans but carry more of a chip on their shoulder and are more paranoid.

3) Arsenal fans. Generally find them reasonable but not as knowledgeable about football in general. Biggest downside with them is that they are quite aloof and believe that football should be played in a way that they see fit.

4) Spurs fans - I would say that whilst the top three only have reasonable gaps between them, this is where there is a large gap. Personally, whenever I meet a Spurs fan I feel like I need to take a course in accounting to try and get on their wavelength as anything that they balls up can be excused due to finances. Also find them to be overtly happy with mediocrity as all seem to prefer a 4th place finish to actually winning something, which kind of goes against the idea of sport.

5) Liverpool - I am always amazed at how hypocritical, self-deluded and sensitive they are. What amazes me most with this set of supporters is that this is replicated wherever I find them and not when they are just from Liverpool. For instance, I have a number of friends from Bournemouth who are Liverpool fans and they are just as sensitive as the ones I know from Liverpool. That said, when talking about football that does not involve Liverpool, they can be some of the most knowledgeable.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Chelsea fans I meet are generally sound to be fair
Liverpool fans are by far the most sensitive and agenda driven fans, period.
Arsenal fans look like they've given up :lol:. In fairness most Arsenal fans I've met are in stark contrast to the AFTV idiots. They remain purists though and don't enjoy praising achievements if it's not completed in style.
Spurs fans really overrate their club for some weird reason. The few I know believe they should have won the title when VDV was at his peak(?)
City fans are like John Cena

Kag

You’re essentially assessing the rationality of the human beings you actively choose to surround yourself with, no?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
You’re essentially assessing the rationality of the human beings you actively choose to surround yourself with, no?
To a degree yes, however I also considered the fans I meet on a train and start talking too and others that I meet at random occasions and the talk moves to football.

clarkydaz

Liverpool fans do actually consider themselves to be the most knowledgeable fans around. i remember even Fowler stating it on soccer AM years ago

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Fans of teams that had success that faded and didn’t come back are the best of the best.

Villa, Forest, Ipswich come to kind. Their fans are generally great. Knowledgeable. Sane. Whole of football knowledge rather than blinkered and narrowly focused.

Though Both Sheffield Clubs have decent sets of fans so I don't think European success is necessarily a requirement.

Chelsea fans are a mixed bunch. I'd say the real fans are the best of the top teams, but I've met a lot of Fulham types who couldn't name a single player and only go because Daddy's got a box.

Ours are probably a bit the same. We have a lot of fans who couldn't name half our team but some very good ones too.

Liverpool are the worst. Totally deluded with a massive chip on their shoulder.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Got to give it to Liverpool fans. They are number 1 in always making sure that Liverpool wins any online voting award. I still remember years ago Henderson was voted on the front of the FIFA cover.

IrishMcD

Some of the best conversations I have about football in general are with couple of Liverpool fans I'm mates with. On the flip side of that, I also have a childhood friend who is a Liverpool fan, and I swear he gets more enjoyment out of United losing than Liverpool winning. He can not have a serious conversation about football, refuses to give credit to any United player and despite being born and breed in Ireland, he insists on calling me a Manc bastard.
I work with a United fan who is very similar to him, claims Valencia was the best right back in world football, up until this season insisted Lingard would walk onto any team in world football,and said i wasn't a true supporter if i criticized a United player or manager. Always refers to Irish Liverpool supporters as scousers. It is embarrassing.
My brother is an Everton fan and apart from the jumping in front of me screaming when Duncan Ferguson scored against us in 1995, he has always be sound. My best mate is a Newcastle fan and refuses to chat football with most people.
So I think the point I am trying to make is idiots are idiots regardless of who the support and I wouldn't think the majority of any clubs support are rational, fair and open minded when it comes to football. Apart from us, we are all amazing. Obviously.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've never met an Arsenal fan who doesn't insist one of their players is the best in the world in their position.

The best football conversations I've had is with Spurs fans

cyberman

United fans are terrible at assessing players and/or transfer targets.

Chelsea fans are surprisingly knowledgeable imo. Maybe its because they are a middle of the road club and arent wrapped up in history or rivalries because they have neither.

Based Adnan

I find Liverpool and Arsenal fans to be the worst as far as delusions go. City slightly better but still bad.

Had good discussions with Spurs and Chelsea fans.

West Ham United fans have also been really deluded.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
If you want to separate the good/knowledgeable Chelsea fans from the idiots just ask them what they thought of Benitez. If they shit talk him then they're probably not worth talking to about football.

Baneofthegame

Don’t think the club matters to be honest, I’ve met fans of every club who fit into both brackets. It depends if you can objectively look at your own team, which a lot of people can’t and those that can sometimes even get lost in the rose tinted glasses.

But in terms of the question for the ones I’ve met:

Portsmouth
Chelsea
Tottenham
Rangers
Brighton

The worst:

Liverpool
Barcelona

Tel074

I've a Liverpool supporting Irish mate who fell out with me for weeks because I said the Scouse accent is so hard to listen to haha . He had a proper huff .
This sums them up they are so sensitive and we can see that now when anyone dares mention the chance the season wont be finished .