European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pacifictheme

In the words of iago "I think I'm gonna have a heart attack and die from not surprise"

kentafuji

So basically their previous plan to monetise the league more in their favour didnt work, so now they are taking their ball and going to europe essentially, to try the same plan there.

L1nk

We barely do anything in the Premier League these days, do we think we're going to do anything good in a European Premier League? God i HATE these owners, greedy American capitalists

JB7

Honestly us & Liverpool seem to be trying really hard at the minute to jointly take the "most despicable cnut of the year" award off COVID19.

jasT1981

I'm against it. Sure, it would be great going up against Europe's best. But that is why we have the Champions League and Europa League. A Euro super league would only dilute the main European competitions.

jackal&hyde

If I'm reading this right it's like a second European competition played in a league format. Sounds interesting TBH.

Redo91

So what we would be leaving the PL? What a farce. Think the club would lose a lot of fans if this goes through.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Transparent as anything. Don't get their way for the revamp so they start leaking news of a European league to make the PL/FA/FL brick it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This is what happens when people don't understand their customers.

It reminds me of when Warner Bros decided to make Batman vs Superman. The thinking was clearly: 'People like Batman, people like Superman. Lets put them together it'll make a lot of money!' Only it didn't make a lot of money because the fans of those characters didn't feel the film made much sense.

The people who own the top clubs don't like football. So they don't understand how European competition is seen as an affirmation of status because its earned. Its a nod to a club's status because you work to get your seat at the table, its not handed to you. Its the result of something, not a glorified friendly competition. This tournament will never rival the Champions League because it doesn't prove anything other than you had a big enough brand to get invited when it started.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
If you read the article the only way this comes in is in place of the champions league.

Basically cutting out the minnows and having esch big club playing each other twice.

Sounds good, but after a year or 2 it'll become so dull.

stepic

seeing no one is reading the article, no it wouldn't affect our participation in the premier league. this would basically replace the CL.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
Our clubs are really showing what having American owners is all about during Covid...

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
The Premier League is so popular because it’s what fans follow the most. CL games are fine but PL is the bread and butter and the domestic games are what I feel the most attachment too.

If they were to go, I wouldn’t bother much with football anymore. It would all feel very hollow and strike a line though everything that came before.

As plastic as can be. Traditional and history are what makes a good sport like football great.

Chipper

Adulterer.
So what we would be leaving the PL? What a farce. Think the club would lose a lot of fans if this goes through.
I think we'd be in both.

" Sources said that FIFA, football's world governing body, had been involved in developing the new format, which is expected to comprise up to 18 teams, and involve fixtures played during the regular European season. "

That's what I'm taking that to mean anyway.

It's shit really, just means the teams in this get to dominate their domestic divisions even more by having an even larger financial advantage over the teams not in it even if they do crap in this new competition.

stepic

would be interesting as to whether there would be a relegation out and promotion into such a european premier league. i think it would need it.

FujiVice

Its happening lads. Its took 3 decades, but finally the fans dont have a voice anymore. We've been priced out for years anyway, but this is like the final chapter in this being a peoples game. I'm sick to death of this sport. No romance or story in it anymore.

Guy Incognito

like they get sick of the premier league with the same teams playing eachother?
But it's not like United play Chelsea or Liverpool every two weeks. And you usually face them twice minimum over a season.

There isn't much risk or reward in this format. It's hardly a league, just a glorified knockout competition that relies on the luck of the draw.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Like many I wouldn’t watch it, just another way to put hundreds of millions of pounds in the Glazers pockets. No thank you.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
like they get sick of the premier league with the same teams playing eachother?
The difference is you can get relegated from the Premier League. There's a standard you have to reach to be part of it.

If this tournament is done purely based on 'how big is your club' what's the point? You don't actually have to be good to be in it.

They're trying to make it like the NFL or NBA where the franchise owners can just sit back and drink in the cash regardless of how s-t the teams they own are.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Honestly us & Liverpool seem to be trying really hard at the minute to jointly take the "most despicable cnut of the year" award off COVID19.
This is being sold as a CL replacement but lets be honest, this is an attempt by the biggest clubs to create a European NFL system where it is a closed shop and then the owners can milk the profits to the detriment of the little clubs and the players as they would surely move to a salary cap. Glazers, FSG, Barca and Real have their fingerprints all over this.