Top Four Race 2018/19

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Had a thread with predictions from when the window closed to the end of August. Thread was in the football forum so fans from all clubs were welcome to vote. Here are the top four totals from it (4 points for every 1st prediction, 3 for every 2nd, 2 for every 3rd and 1 for every 4th):
  1. Man City - 208
  2. Liverpool - 149
  3. Man Utd - 100
  4. Chelsea - 52
Spurs had 43 and Arsenal had 8.

Current league table:

Thread is a bit early after last year's one, but hey ho, title chances aren't looking great. Liverpool, City and Chelsea all with strong starts but Liverpool and Chelsea play each other next.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Already at least two points behind all our top six rivals. Eight points behind the leaders. One month into the season, playing the worst among the six. Incredibly, it can be argued we've had the easiest fixtures.
Grim.

Canagel

We are the only team from the top 6 yet to take our position in the top 6 and this despite a very favourable fixture list. +0 goal difference is not good enough either. This is the difficult season our manager predicted I guess.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Four in a row for Arsenal! Pretty impressive stuff.

Man City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man United

Is my prediction as of now. Before the season started, I had United second with Liverpool third & Chelsea fourth (or it might've been Spurs), but if it does indeed come down to GD, then I worry for United.

If another team sneaks 4th over you guys, I'm going for Arsenal rather than Spurs.

Last edited:

Kapardin

We are the only team from the top 6 yet to take our position in the top 6 and this despite a very favourable fixture list. +0 goal difference is not good enough either. This is the difficult season our manager predicted I guess.
No excuses to not even be in the Top 4, his moaning was limited to a title challenge.

I think we will finish 4th ahead of Spurs and Arsenal, especially if the former drop into the EL. If Sarri doesn't rotate, Chelsea may tire with the EL as well, but I am not holding my breath, our manager doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

rotherham_red

I just hope we get top 4 and that there's a mutual parting of the ways at the end of the season with Jose. It's the best we can realistically hope for, IMO

peridigm

It's still early but the season is looking grim for United under Jose. If we continue to throw matches away and Jose is sacked mid season, the new manager will have a job to save our season and make 4th. What available managers are capable of that in this season with City, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Spurs? Next two Liverpool matches are huge for them. Let's see how they play out.

Toad

At least everyone can prepare themselves at the beginning of the season for finishing out of top 4.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
The real question is if we can get another club outside of our top six rivals to finish above us as well so we can avoid the Europa League next season - don’t get me wrong, it was great to win it but a season concentrating only on the league might be better after yet another summer re-set.

Mint

We've had 6/38 games, lets not panic yet. I'm not convined about Arsenal; they can't defend. We'll finish above them. The question is: will we finish above Spurs? Their lack of squad depth will work in our favour.

BlueHaze

At this rate top 4 is only a pipe dream which is an absolute fecking embarrassment to say. With the squad we have top 4 should be an incredibly easy task yet here we are praying we will finish 4th when we should be up there challenging for the title, it's pathetic. It's an absolute disgrace Jose is on a 15m a year deal for putting up this piss poor football accompanied with these shite results. Whats even more pathetic is that Woodward is a spineless git who knows feck all about football and he along with the owners is the biggest reason this will be our 6th season not even being close to challenging for the league title.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Still early. Can't see us finishing 4th if we don't improve our defence though. Auba and Laca can't always save us.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I figured Arsenal would be a distant 6th but United and Spurs will join us in the scrap for 4th place while Chelsea might drop in as well. Happy times the 4th place trophy is back on the table.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think the City vs Liverpool title race is locked in, Chelsea trailing them a little, with Spurs, Arsenal and us trailing third placed Chelsea and fighting it out for 4th. We have been mostly woeful with patches here and there of spark. Like say 1st half vs Spurs, Spurs needed some midfield investment and have a very thin squad and Arsenal's defence you can drive a bus through. Oh and I dont rate Xhaka, but I think ive mentioned that in every Arsenal thread ever.

Alabaster Codify7

1 - Liverpool
2 - Man City
3 - Chelsea
4 - Spurs
5 - Us
6 - Arsenal.

Can't see anything different to be honest.

DRM

Genuinely don't give a shit now. As soon as I knew we were out of the title race, coupled with the fact that Liverpool look like serious title challengers, i've lost all motivation to watch this side.

ActionJackson

Top 4 will be the teams who are improving week in week out under their managers, ie

Man City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal

The 2 sides in the big 6 who are going backwards under their managers, United and Spurs,will miss out.

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
At the start of the season i thought it would be city, liverpool, chelsea and united for the top four in whatever order. Still think thats what will happen but united in danger if they don't pick it up soon.

Probably tip spurs over arsenal for the fourth spot if united don't hit form.

zenith

Real competition would be from arsenal. Cause it looks like spurs are gonna fade away as the season moves on and city, pool and Chelsea are a shoe in.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Despite Arsenal having more points than us, they are less likely than us to finish in top 4, according to odds.

Not to finish in top 4:
Arsenal 1.44
Man Utd 1.80

el3mel

Spurs usually pick their form up in the second half of the season so if we aren't ahead of them by then we'll be in big trouble.

I'm predicting 5th at the moment, unless miraculous changes happen.

IAmAWinner

Think Spurs will get in, Kane will soon start hitting top form again.
Last place will be between us, Chelsea and Arsenal. Chelsea lack a world class striker, Arsenal's defence is still dodgy and we are just shit. Will be an interesting battle.

Minimalist

We all talked about how decent the fixtures planned out for us this season.

Terrible start. Fighting with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th and I'm not sure we'll do it.

Frankly anywhere else Mourinho would be out the door already.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I figured Arsenal would be a distant 6th but United and Spurs will join us in the scrap for 4th place while Chelsea might drop in as well. Happy times the 4th place trophy is back on the table.
The key is to improve our away form. It's what fecked us last season.

Miles Platting

Once the dust settles I think we can finish in the top four. I think City will win again with Liverpool, Chelsea and Utd fighting it out for the minor honours. Can't believe finishing 4th is deemed better than winning the FA cup by some at our club. The FA cup final was the best day of the year in my day..

BarcaSpurs

According to the odds

Man City 99.9%
Liverpool 95%
Chelsea 71%
Tottenham 54%
Man Utd 40%
Arsenal 35%
~5% other

Snash93

Supports
Liverpool
Man City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs

Spurs could even get third if Chelsea are struggling with fitting the Europa League into their schedule.

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
I find it funny how Chelsea were seen as title contenders up until the game. One draw against West Ham, where we had 1 day to prepare and suddenly we are back to scrapping for 4th spot.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I was laughed at for suggesting we might not be in the top 4 all season after the first weekend. It's looking more likely by the week.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I find it funny how Chelsea were seen as title contenders up until the game. One draw against West Ham, where we had 1 day to prepare and suddenly we are back to scrapping for 4th spot.
It is because of you competing in Europa League and Sarri's lack of rotating that I don't think you'll win the league. It takes its toll - as seen by other seasons where Prem teams compete in the Europa.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think main title challenge will be between City and Liverpool with Chelsea falling off around February/March but being the clear 3rd. As of now, no clear favourite for 4th. United and Spurs have been far from impressive, Arsenal are improving but also a long way to go for them. If I was being honest I'd guess United finish 6th. We have good players but with us it's either a meltdown or good results. Can't see the squad being happy with 4th place or there being much positivity around the place if that's all we're fighting for, so I'd guess we'll meltdown. Spurs will find consistency again later in the season and are the favourites for 4th in my eyes, while I do really like Arsenal's attacking quality and they made some decent signings in midfield and the defence over the summer. Gaps in their side, but with Aubameyang and Lacazette (and those supplying them), they'll have loads of goals in their team.

Making a prediction:
  1. City
  2. Liverpool
  3. Chelsea
  4. Arsenal
  5. Tottenham
  6. United

TAA

Supports
liverpool
Man City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
Utd (4th or even third if you guys get rid of jose)

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Even until last week, you were a little behind City and Liverpool, imo.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
A bit kneejerk but Arsenal have one 6 on the bounce, squad wise they have the goals to win Majority of there games, question marks over defence.

If United continue there collapse which looks likely maybe Arsenal can get into the battle for top 4

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
A bit kneejerk but Arsenal have one 6 on the bounce, squad wise they have the goals to win Majority of there games, question marks over defence.
What you on about? There's no question marks over our defence.

There's a 60 foot flashing neon sign pointing to the net that says "Free Goals. Press Your Nearest Defender For Details".

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

There's a 60 foot flashing neon sign pointing to the net that says "Free Goals. Press Your Nearest Defender For Details".
It doesn't help when Cech is trying to get as many assists as he can for the opposition.

I still think you could finish in the top four but the Europa League seems your best bet.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema

:lol: