Top Four Race 2018/19

deadrevelz

Don't think it will happen, even if we beat Liverpool we are 6 points behind and Spurs are in much better form than Arsenal or Chelsea. It's possible Poch may choose to concentrate on CL though and rest players in the PL. Can't say I'm that bothered about whether we overtake Spurs. Not much difference between 3rd or 4th.

Handré1990

Spurs loss doesn’t change much. Even if we win tomorrow we’re not within touching distance. So far I’d say we’ve made our own luck under Ole. To catch spurs we need the other kind of luck.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Spurs loss doesn’t change much. Even if we win tomorrow we’re not within touching distance. So far I’d say we’ve made our own luck under Ole. To catch spurs we need the other kind of luck.
Catching Spurs isn’t inconceivable due to the fact they have to go to Stamford Bridge, Anfield and COMS. But we would need to ensure we win in some of the tough fixtures coming ahead.

Handré1990

Catching Spurs isn’t inconceivable due to the fact they have to go to Stamford Bridge, Anfield and COMS. But we would need to ensure we win in some of the tough fixtures coming ahead.
Yeah, that’s kind of the point. We’re 3/3 away at Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. That’s an amazing record, but I don’t expect us to win our remaining games v the top teams. One loss and Spurs would need three, and that’s if we win tomorrow. They’ve had their own little injury crisis, yet been the team who’ve matched our brilliant form best.

Edit: You’re right, though it’s not inconceivable, but if Ole should continue this haul until the end of the season, that would be worth legendary status in it’s own right. Something I don’t expect.

Gasolin

Don't think it will happen, even if we beat Liverpool we are 6 points behind and Spurs are in much better form than Arsenal or Chelsea. It's possible Poch may choose to concentrate on CL though and rest players in the PL. Can't say I'm that bothered about whether we overtake Spurs. Not much difference between 3rd or 4th.
Mentally for the players and the other clubs watching us, it makes a difference so we should do it. The most impact we have this season, the more fear we will create down the road next year.

deadrevelz

Mentally for the players and the other clubs watching us, it makes a difference so we should do it. The most impact we have this season, the more fear we will create down the road next year.
Given the option, I would rather win the FA Cup and get 4th than get 3rd and no trophy. I would be happy to rest players in the PL if top four was done to achieve this.

Galactico

If we get 3rd this season, would that eclipse one of Mourinho’s greatest achievements of “getting second place” with “that group of players”?

Smores

Happy with the point today just about but it does put even more pressure on our games vs Chelsea and Arsenal.

Can't afford any slip ups.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We absolutely need to find a win against Palace. I'm nervous for this. Such a shame about the injuries.

I also have a feeling Chelsea will beat Spurs.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If we get 3rd this season, would that eclipse one of Mourinho’s greatest achievements of “getting second place” with “that group of players”?
Definitely when you factor in José sabotaging the first half of this one.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Today was a big blow. For me it was a must win for top 4 and the injuries have made it even less likely. I can't see us beating Palace on Wednesday.

reddaz71

If we miss out on the top 4 then its on the Glazers not Ole, they've refused to strengthen the team over the last 2 Windows regardless of who the manager was/is!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In the circumstances it was a good point for Man. United, not sure how losing three players first half and having no options to change in second half and also completely nulifying Liverpool is a bad result.

Thing is Arsenal for all the flak they get are excellent at winning the home games you expect them to and they have another one at home to Bournemouth on Wednesday so chance to open up a little gap if you don't win at Palace.

Judas

Open to offers
Not winning today was far far from the end of the world in terms of top 4, but all the injuries will possibly cost us. If we can win our next two I’ll be beyond delighted.

Shark

@NotShark
Arsenal slipping into the top four in traditional Arse fashion, beating the shite teams. Hopefully the injuries don’t ruin us, we deserve that spot.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If we miss out on the top 4 then its on the Glazers not Ole, they've refused to strengthen the team over the last 2 Windows regardless of who the manager was/is!
Yep … only £74m spent on new players. Talk about penny pinching.

reddaz71

Not winning today was far far from the end of the world in terms of top 4, but all the injuries will possibly cost us. If we can win our next two I’ll be beyond delighted.
Just goes to show the folly of the owners in not adding quality over the past 2 transfer windows, those chickens could come home to roost

Reddevildans

Arsenal slipping into the top four in traditional Arse fashion, beating the shite teams. Hopefully the injuries don’t ruin us, we deserve that spot.
They do it every season dont they? Beat the rubbish fodder, win the north London derby and get embarrassed by the better teams. They have an easier run in than us so i think theyll be slight favourites.

Vadim

Way too much ‘this could happen, this might happen’ going on in here.

I think we’re fecked though. The injuries and lack of squad depth has hurt us.

Arsenal’s great run will see them stumble over the line.

I’m not arsed to be honest, fourth simply doesn’t excite me. I actually can’t remember the last CL game I enjoyed, it’s lost it’s sparkle for me. Real v Liverpool was hilarious but apart from that, meh. Missing 4th might even wake the Glazers up and they’ll sign 3 or 4 players in the summer.

I want us to win the league next season. Not fourth, not second.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Not in the slightest bit worried about Arsenal … they are not in the race
How are we not in the race ? Easier run-in, 1 point above and we play you at home. I'm not saying it's going to be easy but that fourth place is far from acquired for anyone. Even third is a target for United Chelsea and Arsenal. Spurs still have to play City, Chelsea AND Liverpool away.

Judas

Open to offers
We just have to hope Arsenal play like Arsenal in the big games, because at home to anyone outside the top 6 they more often than not make it look very easy.

SqueakyWeasel

How are we not in the race ? Easier run-in, 2 points above and we play you at home. I'm not saying it's going to be easy but that fourth place is far from acquired for anyone. Even third is a target for United Chelsea and Arsenal. Spurs still have to play City, Chelsea AND Liverpool away.
I said I'm not worried, I've been wrong before, no offence meant … you enjoy the EL mate – who's up next?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
You deserve bugger all unless you finish there.

Kapardin

Dunno how anyone can write off a legit top 4 contender like this. Arsenal are many things, but they aren't traditionally top 4 bottlers barring Wenger's last 2 seasons. And even there it wasn't bottling so much as Wenger losing what little magic touch he had left.

If Sarri has decided to be pragmatic as we are seeing against City in the cup final, then Chelsea are going to improve as well.

With our injuries, we are really disadvantaged for top 4 even though Ole is doing a spectacular job. All comes back to Mourinho deliberately throwing away two or three games earlier in the season really.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Arsenal have sneaked into a good position and have the easiest fixtures. I think they have a better chance than us now.

SqueakyWeasel

Dunno how anyone can write off a legit top 4 contender like this. Arsenal are many things, but they aren't traditionally top 4 bottlers barring Wenger's last 2 seasons. And even there it wasn't bottling so much as Wenger losing what little magic touch he had left.

If Sarri has decided to be pragmatic as we are seeing against City in the cup final, then Chelsea are going to improve as well.

With our injuries, we are really disadvantaged for top 4 even though Ole is doing a spectacular job. All comes back to Mourinho deliberately throwing away two or three games earlier in the season really.
There's so much there to unpack there.

Let me just say again … I'm not worried about Arsenal in terms of the top four :)

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Why is it weird?
It's what I believe.
Arsenal are no threat in terms of the top four in my opinion.

Is it any more weird than an Arsenal fan debating this on a Manchester United chat board in the first place?
Why are you so angry ? :lol: I'm going to leave you with your United mates, you're inches away from a mental breakdown. May the best team get 4th ;)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They will finish with 70 + points....how can they not be in the race?!:lol:

With injuries piling up Man. United will start dropping points more regularly in the league I suspect so suddenly your expected final points total will come in below 80 points.

Going to be a tight one, whoever gets to 75 points makes 4th, though that for a while. Could be a GD job.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We just have to hope Arsenal play like Arsenal in the big games, because at home to anyone outside the top 6 they more often than not make it look very easy.
At home Arsenal are actually good against top teams. 7 points from Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool. Only home game they lost was Man. City opening weekend.

Of course Man. United schooled them in FA cup but Emery is more strategic than Wenger so I reckon he'll flood the midfield and make sure there's no space beyond fullbacks for likes of Rashford and Martial to run into, fitness permitting of course.

That game feels like a low scoring draw to me.