Top of the League!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We're of course a long way from the finish line, no one are pretending we're not.

But it's quite literally been 8 years since we last held this league position in January back in 2013 before Sir Alex retired. It's been such a long, swirling road to get to where we are. Here's to the boys keeping up appearances.or Hyacinth will come give them a lecture.

sugar_kane

Can't believe we played Dave up front and Martial in goal. No wonder Jose got sacked.
Shocking to think that Pereira used to be a starter for us

Those three behind Martial, that’s mid table level at best

United Hobbit

It feels very good and obviously I hope it stays this way but performances are starting to drop a bit, we need to keep this momentum going.

If we could at least draw with Liverpool we maintain a bit of a cushion although they are ahead of us on goal difference so not technically ahead if they gain that 3 points back. It almost feels like a must win game, the psychological benefit of beating them and going 6 points clear would be HUGE. Especially ending their constantly gushed over run at Anfield. Losing I could see perhaps denting this and causing a slump

It makes the results vs Chelsea, Arsenal and City all the more annoying as they're games we could have done so much better

I think there are a few "crucial" elements that need to happen

-Ole work with Martial on his finishing, we need him contributing with goals

-Stop starting games so slowly!

- Bruno needs rest. Could he perhaps be rested vs Fulham? We can't afford him getting injured

-Bailly needs to stay fit, he's currently doing well and has saved us a few times with his quicker reactions

-Greenwoods struggles need addressing- he got us some really important goals last season, especially with Tony struggling this season if Greenwood could contribute with some goals it would give us another option- is it because he's a young player, playing more centrally this season so adapting or is there something deeper under lying?

-keep Pogba until at least the summer, unless we can sign a player like a Haaland or Sancho this window

-keep everyone following strict COVID protocols

I think Ole will have a tricky decision what to do about the Europa, it would be a great trophy to win but it's more games in an already packed schedule but winning it gives a way into CL should our league form massively drop.... it would also be a chance should we get that far for Ole to get past a semi final as I think that's at risk of becoming an issue... I think we need to consider where in the league we are when it restarts and make a decision based on a potential cushion over top 4 if there is 1. Then if we are top I'd possibly play the B team we played for the FA cup that side wasn't awful but protects the likes of Bruno- possibly play them if we go deeper into it

Grande

Positives: It’s a great feeling to look at a mid season table with United on top for the first time since Fergie.

We now consistently beat weaker teams no matter if they sit back or press high.

We can win 6-2 and we can win 1-0.

We’ve done this with actually all our out and out attacking players being below par.

Negatives: Well, it’s not really a negative, as it is expected, but we still have a way to go IMO to reach the top level of Liverpool and City. When they have had some bad patches, we are a head, but I really expect both to be ahead of us at the end of the season. They have two of the worlds best coaches ever AND have had four/five years to get the right players and implement and develop their playing style in the whole squad. They are, if they get in full flow, capable of winning more or less the rest of their matches. We have been doing that for 13 games now, but I’ll be positively shocked if we string another run like that on top of this one, as it’s just not normal.

Castia

Let’s enjoy it!

There’s a long way to go and I’d have Liverpool or City down as favourites but just being in the mix is progress for us.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Need to aim higher. Why not go for Niall's League instead of Top?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
On serious note. It's good that we're challenging, with still some obvious flaws on starting XI. THus, much room for improvement.

Relfy

Enjoy it lads! Feels glorious doesn't it?!

All jokes aside, it is great to be top right now and have the chance to move 6 clear of 'them' if we win at the weekend. What a turnaround inside the past 12 months! We may not end up at the top of the tree at the end of the season, but as long as we can keep pace, we are slowly positioning ourselves as the club ready to pounce should one of citeh or scouse start to drop off.

gajender

Positives: It’s a great feeling to look at a mid season table with United on top for the first time since Fergie.

We now consistently beat weaker teams no matter if they sit back or press high.

We can win 6-2 and we can win 1-0.

We’ve done this with actually all our out and out attacking players being below par.

Negatives: Well, it’s not really a negative, as it is expected, but we still have a way to go IMO to reach the top level of Liverpool and City. When they have had some bad patches, we are a head, but I really expect both to be ahead of us at the end of the season. They have two of the worlds best coaches ever AND have had four/five years to get the right players and implement and develop their playing style in the whole squad. They are, if they get in full flow, capable of winning more or less the rest of their matches. We have been doing that for 13 games now, but I’ll be positively shocked if we string another run like that on top of this one, as it’s just not normal.
Actually they don't City looked untouchable for two seasons straight but Liverpool were more machine like with them winning crucial moments in the games more often then not last season . Most of us are going off on their previous seasons exploits while ignoring how they have played this season , we should be focusing on ourselves and should strive for atleast 85 points this season it would definitely keep us in conversation for title till the very end.

Feels good to be back challenging again. Whatever happens with Ole, the squad he's given us is night and day to the one he took over. Both players and mentality, and Bruno has been his Cantona.

Unlike last season i feel like we could do with the league getting shut down for a bit. Things have tailed off a bit since Christmas.

Crustanoid

We could really do with making a statement in the transfer market to kick on from this.

Signing a Grealish or equivalent would lift the squad and fans, plus show intent to our rivals.

Look at the effect of signing Cantona back in the day.

If Ed and the board had anything about them, they would realise this.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Its good to be in the race. Last year we had the top 4 race thread, this year its the title race thread.

Liverpool and City are dropping points in unexpected games. So I'm not sure who I'd classify as favorites, but i can say we're in it for now. Let's take it game by game.

Grande

Actually they don't City looked untouchable for two seasons straight but Liverpool were more machine like with them winning crucial moments in the games more often then not last season . Most of us are going off on their previous seasons exploits while ignoring how they have played this season , we should be focusing on ourselves and should strive for atleast 85 points this season it would definitely keep us in conversation for title till the very end.
The players and staff should definitely focus on United. We fans already focus an unhealthy amount on United ;) and should still be able to look at City and Liverpool and see that their streaks the last two/three seasons are not coincidents.
We are not without a chance if we gather 85 points, of course. To get that, though, we’ll have to up our points per game average even further, which with this season’s strange trajectory will not be easy.

And even then I’d put money if I had to on the other two. But of course, compared to last season, we have made fantastic strides and can’t be ruled out.

GBBQ

What a feeling!

I know that Ole is gonna be happy with a point on Sunday (and that's why Fred was rested and McT only played a few mins) but it would be such a statement to win and go 6 points ahead of the Scousers.

Its gonna take a huge effort to see it home from here but at this point I'd settle for a top 3 finish secured with games to spare!

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Believe.

Strange feeling. If we defeat Liverpoom I say we will win the 2021 title.

Believe.

GoldTrafford99

Normally, when going to Anfield, I'd snap your hand off for a point... anything to get that horrible fixture out of the way.

But HONESTLY, this weekend - if somebody offered me the draw now, I'd say NO THANKS, we're a better side than them and I genuinely feel as if we'll prove it on Sunday.

I want all three points. And I'm certain we will get them.The mental strength of our team is humongous and ALL OF THE CERDIT for that goes to the little PE Teacher guy on the sideline.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Believe.

Strange feeling. If we defeat Liverpoom I say we will win the 2021 title.

Believe.
City aren't far off either. I'm fearing the worst on Sunday. Would be satisfied with a draw for sure, even if it allows City to creep up.

Flexdegea

Feels good. Manager and players deserve a lot of credit for coming back after some big set backs this season. Mentality is strong. Whatever Ole doing its working brilliant.

Just hope martial can discover how to strike the ball again as if he did we be running away with the league and in Europe still.

Expecting big 2nd half from him. We need them easy goals to kill some of these matches off. He getting the chances.

davidmichael

I hope you invite all of us. Its the right thing to do. :)

I have the league table paused on my tv. Still a little surreal looking at us being where we should be for the first time in a very long time.
The whole Caf is invited, told her that everyone has to wear a United shirt as per the dress code with her wearing the old 1991 white away shirt to go with her dress and me wearing the black away shirt underneath my suit jacket although you can imagine the response I got back.

Zlatattack

I'm really enjoying this, but lets hope the players remember this is where they need to be after 38 games, not 17.

Fully Fledged

We’re on the top of the league.
Looking down on the Scousers.
And the only explanation I can find.
Is the form that we’ve found since Bruno’s been around.
That form’s put us on the top of the league.
Repeat.

dinostar77

Lets see where we are after 27 games then see if we can get excited. 17 games is just the halfway point. City have a run of fixtures against lower half of the league so i would expect them to come back into the title race by March.

RedorDead21

Lets see where we are after 27 games then see if we can get excited. 17 games is just the halfway point. City have a run of fixtures against lower half of the league so i would expect them to come back into the title race by March.
must of us think we’ll be no where near after 27 games. Just let us enjoy this moment. City are better, Liverpool are better. But we are still top

Jeffthered

Let’s enjoy it!

There’s a long way to go and I’d have Liverpool or City down as favourites but just being in the mix is progress for us.
I think that's how I am trying to make sense of this. Make no mistake, this is a bizarre season, with very few teams I feel, actually playing well. Are we really better than our best moments last season? City are not. Liverpool are not.

We still lack a playing identity, and rely upon individual players, Pogba currently, Fernandes mainly, and occasionally Rashford, with the likes of Greenwood also providing inspiration. But I do not see the 'team' developing. Our defence do not work with any other part of the team for example. We have no real partnerships developed between players.. it's all sporadic, and raw talent and inspiration will only get us so far, as we have seen when we play better quality opposition.

Burnley were awful, no football played at all.. their best player was on the bench until the last few mins.

It's THE most open, in terms if quality, quite average, and unpredictable Premier League, and that suits OGS.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

The whole Caf is invited, told her that everyone has to wear a United shirt as per the dress code with her wearing the old 1991 white away shirt to go with her dress and me wearing the black away shirt underneath my suit jacket although you can imagine the response I got back.
I imagine it was a polite refusal :lol: :lol:

Although you have put a lot of work in to the dress code and the bride and groom outfits so she should give you credit for crossing that off the list :)

Red00012

Amazing its been nearly 8 years since were last top at any stage of the season..
considering we had a dreadful start to the season its a bloody good run...... ole in.
We were top in 2018

Real Name

Cant believe it's been 7 years. For a club of our stature that's been way too long. Of course it can change quickly and up until now about 7 teams have been on top but we should enjoy it. It has been a remarkable turnaround since Leipzig and the reward is a number one spot.
As most I really didn't expect it. That lousy start of the season and then Leipzig exit, I was suspicios can we even make top 4 but the team disapproved me big time. I was sceptical about Ole too and there are still some things he must improve on but he deserves credit and not enough credit is given to him.. On the contrary there are still voices that wont him gone, sure maybe those are quieter but nevertheless they're there and even last week, after we lost to City, I read something like - as an Ole outter I had a tough time but hopefully this is a way for Ole to go soon. So a fan having a tuff time while we're winning.. Says it all.

Ole said he'll be successful and really we've improved so much since he became a manager. From a team chemistry and confidence to the way we play. I dont agree with the poster about team not developing, on the contrary the team has been developing the whole time. And the famous phases of play and whatnot, suddenly everybody is an expert on that and we apparently dont have that, play everything on our own, depend on the moments of brilliance and so on. All that is complete bollocks imo but I'm starting to sound negative. :)

Anyway it's a fantastic feeling. If we somehow win at Mordor it will be a huge, absolutely huge sign. Not only we'll have a fine cushion but we will all start to believe it's actually possible we can win the league. :) Draw would be a good result too so we can keep them at bay but a win. I'm afraid to even think about it.

Anyway, onwards and upwards! Exciting times at last. It's again a joy to be an United fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: roonster09