Top players getting no protection from refs lately?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Where we are in the table has feck all to do with our players having to deal with horrible challenges on a regular basis at the minute
Strange victim mentality, as though bad challenges don’t happen to players from other clubs.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Strange victim mentality, as though bad challenges don’t happen to players from other clubs.
City have suffered four red card challenges in our past 3/4 PL games, none of which have received adequate punishment. All four could easily have injured important players for us, and one of them has done so. You think that's a 'strange victim mentality' that I'm going to be pissed off about that?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
City have suffered four red card challenges in our past 3/4 PL games, none of which have received adequate punishment. All four could easily have injured important players for us, and one of them has done so. You think that's a 'strange victim mentality' that I'm going to be pissed off about that?
Bad challenges routinely happen, especially in English football, where there’s loads of pace involved. You sound like peak-time Wenger.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
citeh have had a charmed run with refs and decisions and KDB is apparently fine.

They've utterly no reason at all to be complaining.

Utd had a game changing ref decision (at home) go against them again yesterday.

Acole9

Outstanding
Why should the top players get more protection than the average Joe's? Never understood that.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Why should the top players get more protection than the average Joe's? Never understood that.
Because some players need it more. The best players often have to deal with rougher treatment, and referees have a duty to protect the players. Charlie Adam's hardly going to be on the receiving end of the same challenges as Eden Hazard, is he? If there's a game where it appears a player is deliberately being targeted, it's the refs duty to try and put a stop to it.

BigTimeCharlie

Its not a red if the ref doesn't give it.

City are on PEDS

bebeanderson

The problem is that the Premier League loses credibility when the teams get outclassed in the UCL. Playing every 3 days and getting half your squad injured with doesn't help that.

walkinhop

Because some players need it more. The best players often have to deal with rougher treatment, and referees have a duty to protect the players. Charlie Adam's hardly going to be on the receiving end of the same challenges as Eden Hazard, is he? If there's a game where it appears a player is deliberately being targeted, it's the refs duty to try and put a stop to it.
Wum or not, these posts have been terrible. Reminds me of safe spaces.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hugely reactionary thread,

Hazard is probably the most protected player in the league, arguably ever.
Glad someone said this pretty early on.
He's always the most fouled player, so clearly the fouls are given!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’ve just seen a replay of the tackle. Not the best from Puncheon, but the sort that wouldn’t even warrant a mention of made on a lower profile player. Hysterical stuff.
Agreed, had to watch it 8-9 times to wonder if I was missing something.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I thought Puncheon's tackle was a clear red but, I do not think top players deserve special protection from the refs.

Irrational.

Hazard not being protected? Every time I watch him, the moment he feels any sort of contact he usually goes down getting a free kick.
Precisely. Don't forget his huge exaggerations and multiple backflips. It was this that got Eva fired. :lol: He also does that shitty jump, skip hop thing as he miraculously recovers back to his full striding self.

Red_toad

As long as they all get the same amount of protection Ronaldo got when he played for United, then all should be good. It's a contact sport and good players will be targetted for rougher treatment.
The fact that City fans are complaining is a joke, not seen their players being blatantly stomped on when they're on the floor, yet it made Ball a hero for many of them, for doing such a deed.

AllezLesDiables

Why are players in lower placed teams allowed to get away with bad challenges? Especially on top players like De Bruyne, Hazard etc. For a league that is driven by money, there seems to be no indication that they’d give some protection to the top players that are basically the face of this league. An injury to one or two top players pretty ruins an enjoyable league or ruins the viewing experience for the average fans. I realize that some of you might argue that refs and players regularly give or get soft challenges, While this might be true — ultimately, I just want top players to be afforded some protection.
Because they’re not English.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Look no one tunes in to this league to watch Jason Puncheon or other average players kick a ball. We want to watch the best in the world.
Tell that to all the Crystal palace home fans who were cheering for Palace team yesterday.

If you want to watch the best in the world, wonder why you are watching premier league when the best are in La Liga. As it is the league is becoming joke, I mean all the leagues and now you want better players to be treated differently.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I still maintain people are overreacting to Puncheon's tackle. It was a bad tackle, but his intent is clear imo. He's trying to stop the counter attack after the penalty. He's aiming at a tactical foul but fecks it up. Not as malicious as people are making it seem, but a definite yellow and possible red (depending on the referee).

In other words, Puncheon isn't trying to injure him, or specifically targeting him like Keane did with Haaland.
Who gives a feck about intent? You can't be flinging yourself recklessly at opponents, all in the name of stopping the counter. The mind boggles if that tackle is anything but incredibly reckless and dangerous, regardless of the intent or outcome. If you want to stop the counter cynically, pull the shirt or bust a lung getting back. Or tackle if you know you can get the ball.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is it any worse than the cnutish tackle by Kompany?

Dont think anyone was crying about protection for players back then, if anything high profile players gets away with cnutish tackles often. Then we have Aguero's tackles on David Luiz 2 or 3 times

Last edited:

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Who gives a feck about intent? You can't be flinging yourself recklessly at opponents, all in the name of stopping the counter. The mind boggles if that tackle is anything but incredibly reckless and dangerous, regardless of the intent or outcome. If you want to stop the counter cynically, pull the shirt or bust a lung getting back. Or tackle if you know you can get the ball.
It's a bad tackle but intent does matter (in the context of a lot of these conversations at least).

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This shouldnt even be a thing.

Referees are there to enforce the laws of the game, not protect players, not give a decison one way and not the other because a player cost £100 million and plays for the league leaders.

If its a hard tackle thats fair. Then it doesnt matter who it is, if its a hard tackle thats not fair, then it shouldnt matter who made it, off they go.

ti vu

Vile tackle should be reviewed and being punished further. However, no players should be more protected. How to protect them anyways? Whistle when anyone come close to them?

arthurka

Again with this, how is KDB doing these days? After that murder attempt? Bad tackle Yes but nothing more.. There tackles are every week in the Championship..

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Yet again two blatant red cards from West Brom and yet again two pathetic spineless decisions from the referee. Both de Bruyne and Brahim Diaz have luck to thank that they're not currently injured. The Matt Phillips challenge at the end was horrifically bad, how the feck has not one of the officials see that and realise it's a blatant red card? Getting sick of this bullshit. Need VAR in to sort out the sheer incompetence of referees.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yet again two blatant red cards from West Brom and yet again two pathetic spineless decisions from the referee. Both de Bruyne and Brahim Diaz have luck to thank that they're not currently injured. The Matt Phillips challenge at the end was horrifically bad, how the feck has not one of the officials see that and realise it's a blatant red card? Getting sick of this bullshit. Need VAR in to sort out the sheer incompetence of referees.

Classical Mechanic

Thought David Silva attempted a leg breaker too?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Never saw the Fernandinho stamp but if he did he should have gone, Silva was just a late tackle, nothing like the Phillips tackle

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Thought David Silva attempted a leg breaker too?
He did a nasty tackle, yeah. Not a leg-breaker though. I'm talking about City consistently being on the receiving end of tackles that are often malicious and could easily end up causing a serious injury, yet are going unpunished. Alli, Kane, Murphy, Bennett, Phillips, McClean...there are more. I shouldn't be able to list so many poor challenges, all definite red cards, yet not a single one receiving the adequate punishment.

Drainy

These refs are utterly crap, and they are from the kind of stock who grew up on 'blood and thunder' football.

It's a dangerous mix if you're a top player playing against average, overly physical teams.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
The Silva one was bad but not reckless, just mistimed. Philips and McLean were reckless

Still not found the Fernandinho tackle yet to see