Torres announces his retirement

Crazy drop off in form. Makes you wonder if he was a great player who fell away or just a good player who had an amazing 2 year purple patch.
I'd say he was a great talent who didn't have the mentality required to be a great player. He was great at Liverpool when things were going well, but he looked a shadow of himself whenever his confidence wasn't sky high.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Interesting enough Torres has played 50 more games than Rooney in his career yet has 50 less goals. That’s despite Rooney playing behind a striker or wherever possible for most of his career.
I suppose you caveat that with the contrasting goal ratios of pre-injury Torres (0.5gpg) and post-injury Torres (0.25gpg). You can also factor in pre-injury Torres playing for an Atletico side that was stuck in mid-table creating many fewer chances than a United.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So much wrong with that tweet. He won 1 World Cup, not two. And he won one European Cup and the World Cup while he was still at Liverpool, so not after he left.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So much wrong with that tweet. He won 1 World Cup, not two. And he won one European Cup and the World Cup while he was still at Liverpool, so not after he left.
Meh. Couldn’t be arsed checking but he still won a shitload of trophies after leaving Liverpool, despite winning feck all in a Liverpool shirt. Which was the main point of the tweet.

Nick7

That is a perfect picture.

Great start as a young player at Atletico, reaches his peak at Liverpool, fall from grace and down on his knees at Chelsea and finished back at home.

Hopefully history would be more kind to him while counting the most feared strikers of all time.
Would be, but he's spend the last year playing for Sangan Tosu in Japan.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

In all seriousness though, he was a brilliant player in his prime.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Tormented Vidic for one game yeah? Cos I keep reading elsewhere that he always did, but he kinda didnt except that 4-1 game (and I blame Vidic for letting the ball bounce)
Indeed one of the biggest myths in football

Even the red cards were due to fouls on other players (mainly Gerrard and Kuyt IIRC)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Seriously good at one point. Mad how much he faded.

Imagine peak him in this Liverpool team. Actually don't.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Funny how the idea that he fell apart after leaving for Chelsea has lived on, he was fecking awful for a while with Liverpool before that transfer.

Great player at his best though.

SwedishFish

Crazy how it was considered a big money madness move when Chelsea bought him for 50 million and that kind of money doesn't even get you one leg of Harry Maguire not even 10 years down the road.

He was truly scary when we played Liverpool as you knew what he could do to a defender at any given time. I must say that I googled him just a few days ago and was a bit shocked that he was still playing.

Makes me start to feel a bit old when most of the players you grew up watching are heading into retirement.

A truly generational talent that won it all.

except for a league title

Reddy Rederson

He was never the player I thought he would be when it was at A. Madrid. I really thought he would be up there with some of the greats of the game, but it just never happened. Shame.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
I'll never forget that goal at Barca!!!

There was some fantastic, wild reaction pub vids posted on youtube of that goal.
In the closing mins we were hanging on for dear life, when the ball looked like it was just being hoofed away. The fans reaction was just relief as the ball was hoofed and it was so high, for a couple of seconds it went out of the camera's view. And then, the ball comes back in to view and everyone starts going nuts as we see Torres all alone with the ball on the halfway line. Truly amazing feelings and amazing scenes!!!

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Great player, and still looks younger than Diego Costa when he was 12.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I remember being pretty frustrated we didn't sign him. Class player in his twenties.
Torres leading the line with Rooney playing alongside would have been such a dream combination.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yup. Although given he only really had 2, maybe 3 good season in the PL it was probably a good thing we didn't ultimately.
Wasn't one of the issue was rushing him from Injury? Remember reading that was the reason for his recurring injuries.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Interesting, didn't know he didn't win EPL with Chelsea.

Chelsea won the title in 2010. Torres joined Chelsea in 2011. Chelsea next title was in 2015, he was on loan at Milan.

Last edited:
Wish we signed him after the 2006 World Cup.
His performance against Ukraine was mouthwatering,more so when we were hearing constant links about his agent house hunting in Manchester.

spaceboyRSA

Scary player at his peak but should have ended with way more club honours than he did. Poor career decisions i guess... should have played for a better club at his peak

Sir Scott McToMinay

Scary player at his peak but should have ended with way more club honours than he did. Poor career decisions i guess... should have played for a better club at his peak
He’s a World and European champion, won the CL too, what else can you possibly ask for?
Plenty of players won league titles, far far worse players than Torres, very very few players won the World Cup and the Euros.

He could’ve had a better career, but so did most players.

MUFC OK

Typical of a player who relied heavily on his speed excellent at his peak but he had a sharp decline once he lost that yard of pace. Other victims include Michael Owen and in my opinion Bale. Once it’s gone there’s just no way back.

Still managed an impressive trophy haul, most of which he won as a squad player.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
14 years old. It was meant to be the best day of my life. I go over to Manchester for by far the biggest game I had yet to witness. Couldn't contain my excitement as I rushed up the steps on that faithful day. Park (I think) gets taken out and we go 1 up via a penalty. The best team in Europe, best team in England, I couldn't have been happier.

Then Torres and his band of twats go and put 4 past us.

Good riddance Torres, I hope you suffer a very minor misfortune in the short-to-mid term future.

TsuWave

14 years old. It was meant to be the best day of my life. I go over to Manchester for by far the biggest game I had yet to witness. Couldn't contain my excitement as I rushed up the steps on that faithful day. Park (I think) gets taken out and we go 1 up via a penalty. The best team in Europe, best team in England, I couldn't have been happier.

Then Torres and his band of twats go and put 4 past us.

Good riddance Torres, I hope you suffer a very minor misfortune in the short-to-mid term future.
:lol:

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Funny how the idea that he fell apart after leaving for Chelsea has lived on, he was fecking awful for a while with Liverpool before that transfer.

Great player at his best though.
Yeah from memory he was awful 6 months before joining Chelsea. Ironically his only good game in that spell was against Chelsea I'm sure.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
After he left Pool, I can only remember him scoring the 2-2 vs Barça at Camp Nou, UCL 2012 semis.

Fantastic '00s career, disappointing-forgettable '10s.

Luke1995

He wasn't just a pace merchant, he was very good in the air, could link-up well, great positional awareness and at his peak he was a good dribbler aswell!

Between 2003-early 2010 was such a joy to watch. He kinda recovered a bit of his form in the return to Atletico too, specially in the 2015-16 season.

Chelsea didn't work out for him, but he had some good games there, where his movement was good, his link-up was good, yet couldn't find the goal that much

When he announced the move to Japan instead of remaining in Europe I sensed it was nearing the end for him.

Overall, he lived it all, every boy's dream, no regrets. Thanks for everything!