Torres announces his retirement

BiggusCrickus

Always wished we had signing him instead of Liverpool. Think Fergie would had managed his injuries better instead of what Liverpool always did and burn out a player like that. Owen did the same at Liverpool .

Last edited by a moderator:

ManUtd1999

A player that I liked, but unfortunately he never played for a team that I liked.

His goal in the Euro 2008 Final started an amazing run by Spain after 44 years without an international trophy.

I wish him great retirement and thank you for beating Barca in 2012.

RochaRoja

Interesting enough Torres has played 50 more games than Rooney in his career yet has 50 less goals. That’s despite Rooney playing behind a striker or wherever possible for most of his career.
Rooney’s peak lasted a lot longer than Torres, though. Torres had three seasons at best as a top player, Rooney (for all his flaws) had maybe double that.

Torres never took pens either. He’d have been a 35+ a year player at Liverpool if he wasn’t constantly injured and was penalty taker.

RochaRoja

Cannot believe Fergie is reported to have thought he wasnt good enough. Unreal player in his prime.
A Cristiano, Rooney, Torres attack between 2006 and 2009 would’ve really been something.

RochaRoja

Better than Suarez for me, Suarez was a better predator and knew when and where to be, but Torres usually creates his own chances and on his best days was simply unplayable. Before the injuries he had some serious acceleration that gave defenders nightmares, and a killer instinct in front of goal.
Seems like you’ve only watched Suárez over the past season if that’s your assessment of him. Torres was hardly Andy Carroll outside of the box but Suárez’s dribbling and creativity were at another level.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Was run into the ground by Benitez and Liverpool. They absolutely ruined him.

RochaRoja

Was run into the ground by Benitez and Liverpool. They absolutely ruined him.
What really did for him was Spain rushing him back for the 2010 World Cup. He was never the same after that.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Pretty incredible that at one point Spain had both Torres & Villa as options upfront, two of the best strikers in the world.

Now the poor feckers are reduced to watching Morata lead the line.

Needham

Was brilliant for the Malaysian syndicate when he missed that open goal for Chelsea against us.

Acquire Me

Great player. We should have done everything back then to sign him. I absolutely loved him before he signed for Liverpool. The one who got away imo. Wasted his career at Liverpool.

Cloud7

Pretty incredible that at one point Spain had both Torres & Villa as options upfront, two of the best strikers in the world.

And with the two of them leading the attack they won Euro, World Cup, Euro. When you look at it, that’s a fecking amazing haul. It’s hard to see any team matching that level of consistency.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
What really did for him was Spain rushing him back for the 2010 World Cup. He was never the same after that.
Yup. He was very poor in that tournament as well. I'm sure he doesn't regret it one bit though (and rightfully so), seeing as they won the whole thing.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

:lol: He's such an inferior striker compared to Villa/Torres in their prime.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
:lol: He's such an inferior striker compared to Villa/Torres in their prime.
To be fair, that can be applied to like 99% of strikers. Both of those were world class, champagne footballers in their prime.

I preferred Villa personally but that's purely due to a preference for his style, he was an absolute joy to watch play. Underrated big time imo, perhaps because he was overshadowed a little playing alongside Messi, but for me one of the best strikers of his generation easily.

Torres was a nightmare of a striker too though, so explosive and he was one of those where if he was 1 on 1 with the keeper you knew it would be a goal. I think only Aguero has scared me more as an opposition striker, and that was during the days where Aguero scoring 3 or 4 against us was expected.

Luke1995

It's done now. The end...

What a incredible journey it was to watch him.

Luke1995

I want to know the Cafe's thoughts on why Milan didn't work out for him. When that deal was announced I really thought the slower pace of the italian league and a change of country would suit him.

Ban

Incredible player, wasted his best years at Liverpool and then it went all downhill at Chelsea.

arthurka

Still one of the best chant I have witnessed at OT..

Torres was wearing a dress, as I passed by his window
he walked up and down with it on, as I went past.
He's a transvestite
he walked up and down with it on, as I went past

Chorus
He's a Scouse transvestite
Under his frock, was Carragher sucking his cock
I walked away, cause I couldn't take anymore.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Still one of the best chant I have witnessed at OT..

Torres was wearing a dress, as I passed by his window
he walked up and down with it on, as I went past.
He's a transvestite
he walked up and down with it on, as I went past

Chorus
Under his frock, was Carragher sucking his cock
I walked away, cause I couldn't take anymore.
Yikes, that does not age well at all.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I want to know the Cafe's thoughts on why Milan didn't work out for him. When that deal was announced I really thought the slower pace of the italian league and a change of country would suit him.
Me too as I can't remember he was there.

izec

He was done even for Serie A and Milan were on the downhill.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Not the same player when he left Liverpool. Fantastic player in his prime.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Great player in his own prime, you kinda forget how good he was in those early Liverpool years.

Lam

He was a bit like his compatriot Guti. Peak was absolutely world class/unplayable and lows were shambolic performances

Charlie Foley

I could pencil in a Vidic red card against Liverpool, infact he had a hat trick of those during one of the successful United eras.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nemanja-vidic-lrm-/bilanzdetails/spieler/19726/gegner/31
One of those red cards was in a game Torres didn’t play in :lol: and another one was in the 2009/10 season at Anfield. That red card was recognised as harsh at the time, had as much to do with Kuyt as Torres, and Vidic was far from terrorised in that game...Rio was the one who struggled (he was having back issues at the time). “Torres destroyed Vidic” is a myth if you actually watch the games in question. I did a much more detailed post in the newbies but I don’t think I can find it

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That Game of Thrones horse meme is quite a good metaphor for Torres' career. I know better than posting memes in the football forum though.

He was fecking brilliant at Pool though.

Luke1995

So...apologies for the bumping, but apparently, he is coming out of retirement ? Check out his Instagram/Twitter.

432JuanMata

So...apologies for the bumping, but apparently, he is coming out of retirement ? Check out his Instagram/Twitter.
Yeah seen that. I wonder where he will go. Did you see how bulked up he is ? Also at his age that has to be a disadvantage as he will be even slower and less mobile, unless he is planning on being a target man

FatTails

How often have you heard people and pundits say, “you don’t become a bad player overnight”?

The general sentiment is true, but there are clearly anomalies, like Torres, where players do become terrible overnight!

Bwuk

Yeah seen that. I wonder where he will go. Did you see how bulked up he is ? Also at his age that has to be a disadvantage as he will be even slower and less mobile, unless he is planning on being a target man
It’ll be an advantage. He’d of lost his pace anyway.