Total Football | Which 11 United Players will make it work best?

Web of Bissaka

Similar to the other thread, but this one is special United version.

All-time Manchester United players.

Few key features of TF seems to be:
  • Football intelligence.
  • Ability to play in multiple positions.
  • Fluidity -- interchange of positions
  • Attack and defend.
  • High pressing.
  • Chemistry/understanding.
  • Sweeping keeper.
Therefore..

Definitely: Duncan Edwards, George Best, Van der Sar, Schmeichel, Keane, Robson, Beckham, Giggs, Carrick, Blind, ...

Likely: Rooney, GNev, Irwin, Fletcher, Herrera, Rio, ...

Maybe: Scholes, Stam, ...

SAFMUTD

• Football intelligence.
  • Attack and defend.
  • High pressing.
  • Sweeping keeper.
Therefore..

Definitely: Duncan Edwards, George Best, Van der Sar, Schmeichel, Keane, Robson, Beckham, Giggs, Carrick, Blind, ...

Seriously? Herrera likely and Scholes on maybe...:confused:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
With something like this you should be able to seamlessly switch between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3...

• Technical competence, industry, tactical nous, selflessness and pressing ability from back to front, with a good bit of positional flexibility within the organisational structure.
• First names on the team sheet: van der Sar (dream totaalvoetbal goalkeeper), Irwin and Charlton (can alternatively play False 9 with Rooney/Law as inside forwards).
• The likes of Giggs, Rooney, Keane were consummate team player and reprised a myriad roles over the course of their respective careers at United.
• Unlucky to miss out: Beckham, Edwards and Park, could have started on another day.
• Slightly seasoned and more tactically responsible version of Robson would also be a good fit for totaalvoetbal.
• Scholes would be one of the first names on the team sheet in tiki-taka, but not a starter here as I'd have a couple others ahead of him.

RooneyLegend

With something like this you should be able to seamlessly switch between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3...

• Technical competence, industry, tactical nous, selflessness and pressing ability from back to front, with a good bit of positional flexibility within the organisational structure.
• First names on the team sheet: van der Sar (dream totaalvoetbal goalkeeper), Irwin and Charlton (can alternatively play False 9 with Rooney/Law as inside forwards).
• The likes of Giggs, Rooney, Keane were consummate team player and reprised a myriad roles over the course of their respective careers at United.
• Unlucky to miss out: Beckham, Edwards and Park, could have started on another day.
• Slightly seasoned and more tactically responsible version of Robson would also be a good fit for totaalvoetbal.
• Scholes would be one of the first names on the team sheet in tiki-taka, but not a starter here as I'd have a couple others ahead of him.
Where's Best?

RooneyLegend

Scholes has to be there, he's the sort of player dutch football adores.

VDS, Evra, Stam, Rio, Irwin, Carrick, Scholes, Charlton, Best, Law, Giggs.

rotherham_red

• Football intelligence.
  • Attack and defend.
  • High pressing.
  • Sweeping keeper.
Therefore..

Tbh, we were playing a brand very close to Total Football in 2006/07. Remember even Cruyff saying as much when we beat Roma 7-1. And if you know anything about Cruyff, you'd know he was a hard man to please on that stuff, dogmatic even.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Where's Best?
While he definitely fits in terms of his skillset and even workrate, totaalvoetbal's mentality was always about prioritising a collective over an individual, and Best doesn't really fit into that.

Johan Cruyff can actually indirectly help us in solving this conundrum. This is exactly the behaviour, however brilliant and entertaining it is, that you don't want to see from your ideal total footballer:
Another footballing star has dimmed. Johan Cruyff passed away at his family home, in Barcelona, this morning.
While the footballing world mourns the 68-year-old's passing, some fantastic stories from his playing career have emerged.
One such tale involves the meeting of Cruyff and George Best when his Dutch side took on Northern Ireland in 1976.
Ahead of the game, Best was chatting with journalist Bill Elliot when Cruyff's name cropped up.
Elliot: What do you think of Cruyff?
Best: Outstanding.
Elliot: Better than you?
Best: [Laughing] You’re kidding aren’t you? I’ll tell you what I’ll do tonight… I’ll nutmeg Cruyff the first chance I get.
Elliot since gave his take on how Best's prophecy came true:
"Five minutes into the game Best received the ball wide on the left. Instead of heading towards goal he turned directly infield, weaved his way past at least three Dutchmen and found his way to Cruyff who was wide right.
"He took the ball to his opponent, dipped a shoulder twice and slipped it between Cruyff’s feet. As he ran round to collect it and run on he raised his right fist into the air.
"Only a few of us in the press box knew what this bravado act really meant. Johan Cruyff the best in the world? Are you kidding? Only an idiot would have thought that on this evening."
The Netherland's drew 2-2 with Northern Ireland that evening.
Jimmy Nicholl, who played in the game, said, "I remember standing back and watching him, nutmegging Cruyff and Johan Neeskens, it gave you a lift.
"You felt 'Right, here's one of the best players in the world, if not the best, playing for us [and] nutmegging their two best players... Go on then; we deserve to be here."

RooneyLegend

While he definitely fits in terms of his skillset and even workrate, totaalvoetbal's mentality was always about prioritising a collective over an individual, and Best doesn't really fit into that.

Johan Cruyff can actually indirectly help us in solving this conundrum. This is exactly the behaviour, however brilliant and entertaining it is, that you don't want to see from your ideal total footballer:
Best was both a great individual talent and a great team player. In total football with the pressing of the opposition, it's important to have a player that could do what he could in limited space. Cruyff himself had a great deal of individualism. It wasn't all pretty passing patterns as you might think.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Best was both a great individual talent and a great team player. In total football with the pressing of the opposition, it's important to have a player that could do what he could in limited space. Cruyff himself had a great deal of individualism. It wasn't all pretty passing patterns as you might think.
As I've said, it's not about his workrate or him being overly selfish. It's about prioritising effectiveness, about keeping the shape etc. — something, that Cruyff did brilliantly, as well as the rest of their magically gifted players like van Hanegem & Rensenbrink. Bergkamp had a great quote, although I can't find it now — that he always chose the most efficient option; it's just that his (and Cruyff's) individual ability was so high that sometimes they did the unthinkable (like Bergkamp's roulette against Newcastle or Cruyff's turn against Sweden) because it was the best way to deal with the situation on hand.

Best won't be limited by a system, he is a player that you free from any kind of restrictions and let him roam around.

RooneyLegend

As I've said, it's not about his workrate or him being overly selfish. It's about prioritising effectiveness, about keeping the shape etc. — something, that Cruyff did brilliantly, as well as the rest of their magically gifted players like van Hanegem & Rensenbrink. Bergkamp had a great quote, although I can't find it now — that he always chose the most efficient option; it's just that his (and Cruyff's) individual ability was so high that sometimes they did the unthinkable (like Bergkamp's roulette against Newcastle or Cruyff's turn against Sweden) because it was the best way to deal with the situation on hand.

Best won't be limited by a system, he is a player that you free from any kind of restrictions and let him roam around.
In the final vs Germany, Cruyff got the ball near the center circleand basically dribbled through the German side and earned his team a pen. What's so efficient about that? It's just special play by a special footballer.

There was nothing inefficient about Best's game. Cruyff in the dutch side basically had free reign himself. He was never strict with his positioning ala Zico, Pele and the likes of Bergkamp. But those players didn't have the capability to consistently be a threat from everywhere on the pitch.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
From the players I've seen since following United.

VDS
Irwin-Ferdinand-Stam-Evra
Ronaldo-Keane-Scholes-Giggs
Tevez-Rooney

in 4-4-2 but this set of players can easily switch to 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2, 3-4-3 or whatever formation really since they all can play multiple position with ease, both in attack and defense and have technical and tactial skills required to perfom what's asked of them.

Bench- Schmeichel, O'Shea, Blind, Beckham, Park, Hargreaves, Nani, Saha

James Peril

I vomited a little bit when I saw Blind in the team and not Scholes. Not that they are similar players, it’s just that Blind is incredibly average and Scholes wasn’t.