Tottenham Hotspur 2021-22

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They do have issues though, despite some quality.

Who are the potential 3 CBs for the opening day, for example?

What combo in midfield gives you balance?

And if Kane does go, who is the replacement that is going to give you 25 goals a season? Nevermind make up for the playmaking he does. It can’t be understated how big a player Kane is for Tottenham.

Backups like Lucas and Berwijn have shown they can’t be counted on for consistency over a whole season.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

And if Kane does go, who is the replacement that is going to give you 25 goals a season?

Backups like Lucas and Berwijn have shown they can’t be counted on for consistency over a whole season.
CBs currently are Roden, Sanchez, Tanganga, Dier (Romero and Tomiyasu both rumoured to be close)

CM 3 of Skipp, GLC, Ndombelle, Højbjerg, Alli (Sissoko and Winks are options).

Currently in the PL what clubs have a player who's guaranteed 25 league goals a season?

Maluco

CBs currently are Roden, Sanchez, Tanganga, Dier (Romero and Tomiyasu both rumoured to be close)

CM 3 of Skipp, GLC, Ndombelle, Højbjerg, Alli (Sissoko and Winks are options).

Currently in the PL what clubs have a player who's guaranteed 25 league goals a season?
Those CBS that are currently there aren’t good enough if you want to be challenging for European places. Romero is an absolute must at this stage and I am not convinced by any of those other options.

CM is decent I think, but I think that all of them have limitations in their own way. If I were a Spurs fan, I would want to see a quality CM signed with Kane money as well as an attacker.

No other top CL teams depend on a 25 goal player, but Spurs do, that’s the point. Spurs don’t have the quality that City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea do in those attacking positions. With no Kane, they don’t even have the options that Leicester and Arsenal do.

They have literally no backup CF at all, and no top quality option for either side bar Son. Where are the goals going to come from without him?

If it’s not a like for like replacement, you need another option of proven quality in those attacking positions.

There are definitely issues, although Romero would be a great start.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Those CBS that are currently there aren’t good enough if you want to be challenging for European places. Romero is an absolute must at this stage and I am not convinced by any of those other options.

CM is decent I think, but I think that all of them have limitations in their own way. If I were a Spurs fan, I would want to see a quality CM signed with Kane money as well as an attacker.

No other top CL teams depend on a 25 goal player, but Spurs do, that’s the point. Spurs don’t have the quality that City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea do in those attacking positions.

They have literally no backup CF at all, and no top quality option for either side bar Son. Where are the goals going to come from without him?

If it’s not a like for like replacement, you need another option of proven quality in those attacking positions.

There are definitely issues, although Romero would be a great start.
I don't disagree with anything your saying, I was just saying what our line up will likely be. IF Kane goes there will definitely be a replacement, maybe 2. I am not Dele's biggest fan but he has looked good in preseason and this will be his last chance before he ends up at a lower club. Bergwijn is frustrating, the kid has quality but his problem is he seems to need to be full of confidence to perform, we also have Gil in through the door, who while young I am excited about, Lucas again I'm not his biggest fan but on his day he's class. I am under no illusion that we are going to be competitive, but as a fan I will give everyone a clean slate and see where we go. I'm excited to get the season underway even if our opening fixture list is a mare.

I think Romero will be a class act if we can get it over the line.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

And if Kane does go, who is the replacement that is going to give you 25 goals a season? Nevermind make up for the playmaking he does. It can’t be understated how big a player Kane is for Tottenham.

We don't appear to be going with a back three, at least if pre-season is anything to go by.

Midfield is likely to be Hojbjerg, Skipp and one of Lo Celso/Ndombele/Dele, for the opening day anyway. Some games it'll be two of the latter group. Personally I think Ndombele has scope as a Grealish type player further forward but we'll have to wait on that one. I genuinely think he's one of the most gifted players in the entire league, it's just whether anyone can get it out of him - I remain hopeful but unconvinced.

Rumoured Kane "replacements" are Ings and/or Vlahovic, hopefully both. Ings, whilst not having Kane's all round game, should bag goals in this Spurs side.

Agree on Bergwijn and Lucas but we can't do everything in one window, the defence needs serious work before we start thinking about wingers(plus Gil will hopefully prove to be an astute buy in the long term).

Maluco

I don't disagree with anything your saying, I was just saying what our line up will likely be. IF Kane goes there will definitely be a replacement, maybe 2. I am not Dele's biggest fan but he has looked good in preseason and this will be his last chance before he ends up at a lower club. Bergwijn is frustrating, the kid has quality but his problem is he seems to need to be full of confidence to perform, we also have Gil in through the door, who while young I am excited about, Lucas again I'm not his biggest fan but on his day he's class. I am under no illusion that we are going to be competitive, but as a fan I will give everyone a clean slate and see where we go. I'm excited to get the season underway even if our opening fixture list is a mare.

I think Romero will be a class act if we can get it over the line.
Agree totally on Romero. I think he is a genuine world class CB in the making and Spurs have been clever in getting him in while big teams worked on other targets.

I also think Alli can be resurrected but it would be dangerous to go into the season counting on that.

I think Nuno is the type of manager that will make the team tough to beat, and maybe that’s what is needed at this stage.

If I were a Spurs fan, I would be looking at three signings with the Kane money though, and maybe offloading the likes of Sissoko and Lucas to make way for someone more reliable.

We don't appear to be going with a back three, at least if pre-season is anything to go by.

Midfield is likely to be Hojbjerg, Skipp and one of Lo Celso/Ndombele/Dele, for the opening day anyway. Some games it'll be two of the latter group. Personally I think Ndombele has scope as a Grealish type player further forward but we'll have to wait on that one. I genuinely think he's one of the most gifted players in the entire league, it's just whether anyone can get it out of him - I remain hopeful but unconvinced.

Rumoured Kane "replacements" are Ings and/or Vlahovic, hopefully both. Ings, whilst not having Kane's all round game, should bag goals in this Spurs side.

Agree on Bergwijn and Lucas but we can't do everything in one window, the defence needs serious work before we start thinking about wingers(plus Gil will hopefully prove to be an astute buy in the long term).
This seems like a measured plan too. I think Ndombele has it in his locker, but he has yet to show it consistently. I think someone better alongside Hojbjerg is a must to give him that platform.

I think Ings would be underwhelming. He doesn’t offer what Kane offers outside the box, for one. He won’t get as many goals and there are question marks over his fitness. If you could get Chelsea to play ball on Abraham/Zouma, especially if they are hunting around for Haaland money, I think those would be astute signings

redrobed

These last 5 years have been some of the most successful in their history but I think this Kane saga probably marks the end of it. Whatever the outcome - whether they lose him or keep an unmotivated version of him I don’t see them maintaining top 7.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Cristian Romero from Atalanta agreed for €50m+€5m. That's one CB in, still need another and a RB ideally.

redrobed

Cristian Romero from Atalanta agreed for €50m+€5m. That's one CB in, still need another and a RB ideally.
I assumed you’d made a typo with the fee but looked up and that is what they’re paying. It’s more than what we paid for Varane. Seems crazy.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I assumed you’d made a typo with the fee but looked up and that is what they’re paying. It’s more than what we paid for Varane. Seems crazy.
Don't worry. Once they sell Kane they will almost certainly be net spent champions. Maybe even Glaston will return to point it out. :D

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You got Varane for an absolute steal mate, I think we done alright on this deal. He's a good age, best defender in Italy last year. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
That's comparing apples and oranges though. Romero's 23 and on a long contract, Varane's 28 and had a year left.

Better comparison is Ben White, time will tell which of the two proves to be the better deal.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The state of that caller. Quite shocking neither of the presenters called him out for it nor even had the decency to apologise to the listeners.
I think from the reaction, they didn't really know what to say, still not really an excuse.

Maluco

They need to do more than a shake of the head there. That’s not good enough.

hobbers

To be fair their excuse makes sense. It was cut before airing on the radio so the presenters probably didn't think it was worth responding to, but they forgot it was also live on youtube with no delay.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This is a brilliant tweet to be honest. Hats off to the admin.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Who are Spurs targeting as the Kane replacement? Thought they might go for Ings(cheap), but that is done. Kane goes they have zero recognised strikers, surely they have one, maybe two in the works? Cannot honestly be thinking of going into a new season with no recognised strikers.

SoCross

How good is this Romero kid? Large fee, lots of expectation.

red4ever 79

Who are Spurs targeting as the Kane replacement? Thought they might go for Ings(cheap), but that is done. Kane goes they have zero recognised strikers, surely they have one, maybe two in the works? Cannot honestly be thinking of going into a new season with no recognised strikers.
They keep talking about the lad at Fiorentina Dušan Vlahović or Martinez at Inter. Not sure the lad from Inter will step down especially if Lukaku leaves.

red4ever 79

He's a good player, think Utd had him on a list under consideration. That said, no telling how he will adapt to the EPL, but Spurs clearly need to strenghten here after losing Toby and with Dier and Sanchez being shite.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Guess they'll just play Son central for first 3-4 games while they sort things out either way.

They are very light in final third compared to last season. Bale not replaced, thought Lucas Moura was leaving but think he's still there, Lamela gone and Bergwijn not played much at all lately.

Bryan Gil at the Olympics aswell so won't be seen until September.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Romero is one of those loans with obligation to buy type deals so frees up money to be spent elsewhere, at least for this summer anyway.

Only striker we've been linked to is Vlahovic of Fiorentina. To be fair he does look quite good, like a budget Haaland, but he's only done it for one season so could be a flash in the pan. I guess it's a case of you either take a chance on him now or he ends up being out of reach if he repeats it again next season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
All action defender. Have high hopes for the kid. Like very high hopes. Exceptional in air, decent pace and can pass. Only downside is his positional play which I think will be a problem in the beginning.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Romero is one of those loans with obligation to buy type deals so frees up money to be spent elsewhere, at least for this summer anyway.

Only striker we've been linked to is Vlahovic of Fiorentina. To be fair he does look quite good, like a budget Haaland, but he's only done it for one season so could be a flash in the pan. I guess it's a case of you either take a chance on him now or he ends up being out of reach if he repeats it again next season.
Did Vinicius go back to Benfica.

Just looking at Spurs squad and these are attacking options for Man. City in 8 days as things stand.....

Son
Alli
Bergwijn
Moura

Nuno going to park the bus even more than Mourinho in that one. :lol: Worth remembering Spurs have actually beaten Man. City at home in the last 3 seasons so not actually a fixture that gets written off compared to many clubs in the league.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Did Vinicius go back to Benfica.

Just looking at Spurs squad and these are attacking options for Man. City in 8 days as things stand.....

Son
Alli
Bergwijn
Moura

Nuno going to park the bus even more than Mourinho in that one. :lol: Worth remembering Spurs have actually beaten Man. City at home in the last 3 seasons so not actually a fixture that gets written off compared to many clubs in the league.
Yeah, he's gone.

We are pretty weak all over. 17 year old Dane Scarlett is our only available striker, he is a big talent to be fair but obviously it's unrealistic to expect a kid to help dig us out of a hole. Dele has playing playing CM in pre-season, not very well I might add but that's where he's played.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Yeah, he's gone.

We are pretty weak all over. 17 year old Dane Scarlett is our only available striker, he is a big talent to be fair but obviously it's unrealistic to expect a kid to help dig us out of a hole. Dele has playing playing CM in pre-season, not very well I might add but that's where he's played.
Alli as a CM? Surely you are well stocked in CM without needing Alli there, Hojbjerg, Winks, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Skipp, if anything you have too many CM's and you should be looking to sell(Winks, Sissoko not good enough). Alli's best position for me is just off the striker, late runs into the box etc, and he is a decent goal threat.

on Romero, could definitely be a part of the next generation of great CB's. I think even at 23 he is an upgrade over what Spurs have in Dier, who has a mistake in him and can cough up a loose pass or two under the press. And Sanchez who looks the same rough diamond Spurs got however many years ago, has his game improved at all? Im guessing looking forward Rodon and Romero will be the CB pairing Spurs will be hoping mature into the main defenders, Sanchez and Dier relegated to squad options, they are probably fine as squad options to be fair. Someone has to play in the conference league against the likes of Olomouc FC. Either that or they will sell Sanchez and bring in Tomiyasu, whats the hold up with the Tomiyasu deal anyway? Thought that was basically done before the Romero deal even got rolling and here we are Romero has signed and the Tomiyasu deal is dragging on.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Alli as a CM? Surely you are well stocked in CM without needing Alli there, Hojbjerg, Winks, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Skipp, if anything you have too many CM's and you should be looking to sell(Winks, Sissoko not good enough). Alli's best position for me is just off the striker, late runs into the box etc, and he is a decent goal threat.

on Romero, could definitely be a part of the next generation of great CB's. I think even at 23 he is an upgrade over what Spurs have in Dier, who has a mistake in him and can cough up a loose pass or two under the press. And Sanchez who looks the same rough diamond Spurs got however many years ago, has his game improved at all? Im guessing looking forward Rodon and Romero will be the CB pairing Spurs will be hoping mature into the main defenders, Sanchez and Dier relegated to squad options, they are probably fine as squad options to be fair. Someone has to play in the conference league against the likes of Olomouc FC. Either that or they will sell Sanchez and bring in Tomiyasu, whats the hold up with the Tomiyasu deal anyway? Thought that was basically done before the Romero deal even got rolling and here we are Romero has signed and the Tomiyasu deal is dragging on.
Hojbjerg's only just back from the Euros, same with Lo Celso and the Copa. Winks and Sissoko we're looking to move on and Ndombele ... well I don't know what's going on with him but my suspicion is that he's come back out of shape again as he's not played at all. We've been playing 433 so in that system left CM is really the only place for Dele, or LW at a push. I think he needs to move on tbh but hopefully he'll prove me wrong. I remember him playing left CM for England away to Germany 3 or 4 years ago and he was legitimately outstanding, he's so far removed from that player today though.

Tomiyasu I think has been held up by the Olympics, apparently Japan had told their players no club negotiations while the tournament is on, I suspect we'll see movement on that fairly soon. Though I've never seen him play so can't comment on whether he's likely to be any good or not, or even where he's going to be used.

Reactions: Cheimoon

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I expect very little from Spurs this season. Probably out of top 4 and 0 trophies.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yeah, he's gone.

What happened to Parrot? He was pretty hyped a while ago.

prateik

Started watching their friendly against Arsenal..
Wtf has Dele Alli done with his hair?

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
If I were Spurs, Id sign up Andre Onana from Ajax right now for about 10 million euro's, and have him as #2 behind Lloris for a season who runs out of his contract in a year..

Absolute bargain because of his suspension and contract situation at Ajax now.. They would ensure themselves of a cheap and hell of a successor for Lloris in a year.. He will even have time to adapt to England, the team, the style for a year before becoming #1.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If I were Spurs, Id sign up Andre Onana from Ajax right now for about 10 million euro's, and have him as #2 behind Lloris for a season who runs out of his contract in a year..

Absolute bargain because of his suspension and contract situation at Ajax now.. They would ensure themselves of a cheap and hell of a successor for Lloris in a year.. He will even have time to adapt to England, the team, the style for a year before becoming #1.
We already signed Gollini who has really impressed in our friendlies. I'm feeling quite positive about this season - I think the two signings we have made to date have been very exciting and from what I'm hearing we have another 4/5 players that we are hoping to bring in with numerous leaving. So this season will be a rebuild so although I'm not expecting us to have a fantastic season I'm happy that we finally appear to have a plan and a transfer strategy. Whether Kane leaves or not is secondary to be honest, we are building for life without him whether he goes this summer or the next.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
We already signed Gollini who has really impressed in our friendlies. I'm feeling quite positive about this season - I think the two signings we have made to date have been very exciting and from what I'm hearing we have another 4/5 players that we are hoping to bring in with numerous leaving. So this season will be a rebuild so although I'm not expecting us to have a fantastic season I'm happy that we finally appear to have a plan and a transfer strategy. Whether Kane leaves or not is secondary to be honest, we are building for life without him whether he goes this summer or the next.
Do you think you'll make a big 60/70M striker signing or spread it around the team ? Still don't think Lautaro will put a foot down in London at either club and that Fiorentina guy looks like his agent pimping him out to everyone.