Kick-off
Sun, 13 January 2019 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 78 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)

..........VS..........

Date - Sunday, January 13 2019
    Kickoff Time - 1630 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Wembley Stadium, London

League standings and form guide

6. Manchester United: LWWWW

3. Tottenham: WWWLW

Previous Meetings

Manchester United 0—3 Tottenham

Tottenham 2—0 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—0 Tottenham

Tottenham 2—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—0 Tottenham

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 80
    Tottenham wins: 41
    Draws: 42

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Mauricio Pochettino

Team News

Manchester United

Marcos Rojo and Eric Bailly ruled out. Paul Pogba, Chris Smalling and Alexis Sánchez doubtful.

Tottenham

Victor Wanyama ruled out. Eric Dier and Lucas Moura doubtful.

Know the opposition

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, commonly referred to simply as Tottenham or Spurs (and nicknamed The Lilywhites), are a professional football club based in Tottenham, London. The Hotspur Football Club was formed in 1882 by a group of school boys, mostly aged 13 to 14, from Tottenham Grammar School and Saint John's Middle Class School who were members of the Hotspur Cricket Club formed two years earlier. Initially, the boys that formed Hotspur Football Club played games between themselves and friendly matches against other local clubs. The team entered their first cup competition in the London Association Cup, and won their first competitive match on 17 October 1885. The club turned professional on 20 December 1895, and in the summer of 1896 they were admitted to the Division One of the Southern League. On 2 March 1898, the club also became a limited company, the Tottenham Hotspur Football and Athletic Company.

Tottenham were the first club in the 20th century to achieve the League and FA Cup Double, winning both competitions in the 1960-61 season. After successfully defending the FA Cup in 1962, in 1963 they became the first British club to win a UEFA club competition – the European Cup Winners' Cup. In 1967, Spurs won the FA Cup for a third time in the 1960s. In the 1970s Tottenham won the League Cup on two occasions and were the inaugural winner of the UEFA Cup in 1972, becoming the first British club to win two different major European trophies. In the 1980s Spurs won several trophies: the FA Cup twice, FA Community Shield and the UEFA Cup in 1984. In the 1990s the club won the FA Cup and the League Cup. When they won the League Cup once more in 2008, it meant that they had won a major trophy in each of the last six decades – an achievement only matched by Manchester United.

Tottenham supporters have rivalries with several clubs, mainly within the London area. The fiercest of these is with north London rivals Arsenal (with matches between them termed the North London derby). They also share notable rivalries with fellow London clubs Chelsea and West Ham United. Tottenham currently play their home games at Wembley Stadium - with White Hart Lane being dismantled to make way for a new stadium as a part of the Northumberland Development Project.

Referee

Mike Dean.

Familiar Faces

N/A​

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
    Staff
    De Gea

Young Lindelof Jones Shaw
    Matic
    Herrera Pogba
    Lingard Rashford Martial​

Only two places in team I can see being in question (if Smalling is still out) are Young and Martial but I don't think the other attackers have put in a clear case to be starting yet.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Hopefully Smalling is back

Would take a draw tbh

Mick321

Hopefully we can take advantage of them having a gruelling game in the week. Team picks itself injury permitting really.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
    Scout
    Hopefully Smalling is back

Would take a draw tbh
    Agreed on both counts. I've gone 1-2 though, more out of hope than anything.

I'm excited to see how we go and hope Ole backs our best XI to keep playing positively. The moment we go into our shell we're fecked.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Come on Poch, you don't want to manage a EL team next season. Do the right thing please.

klsv

Lads, it's Tottenham.

De Gea

Matic
    Herrera Pogba

Only two places in team I can see being in question (if Smalling is still out) are Young and Martial but I don't think the other attackers have put in a clear case to be starting yet.
    Agree with this team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Should easily be the same 11 as vs Cardiff. Lukaku might get in with 3 goals in 3 but I'd keep him as a sub given his history in big games

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    ——————De Gea—————
    Young-Smalling-Lindelof-Shaw
    ————-——Matic——————
    ——-Herrera———Pogba———
    Lingard————————-Martial
    ————-—-Rashford—————

klsv

Just hope we don't see Valencia starting but got a bad feeling he will.
    Yeah, was a bit of a bad surprise for me to see Young starting today, and playing the whole match.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Think the honeymoon might be over and are in for a rude awakening. Please let me be wrong.

AngliaRed

——————De Gea—————
    Young-Smalling-Lindelof-Shaw
    ————-——Matic——————
    ——-Herrera———Pogba———
    Lingard————————-Martial
    ————-—-Rashford———

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
    So excited for this game. It’s the big one and a real test for Ole. Think the team is pretty easy to pick, but more important is the tactics. We probably can’t be as attacking as we’ve been against the 5 team we’ve faced recently, so it’ll be interesting to see how Ole is approaching it.

DDG

Herrera Matic Pogba

Lingard Rashford Martial

Subs: Sanchez to come on in the second half for Lingard, Lukaku for Martial if we’re chasing a goal.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
    Yeah, was a bit of a bad surprise for me to see Young starting today, and playing the whole match.
    There’s a whole week between the fixtures, I’m sure Young will be fine to start unless there’s injuries.

Valencia would get obliterated if he steps onto the pitch, I don’t even want to think about it.

waza7111

de Gea
    Young - Lindelof - Jones - Shaw
    Herrera - Matic - Pogba
    Lingard - Rashford - Martial
    The first real test for Soskjaer. In this game I expect Herrera and Matic to play as a midfield 2 with Pogba ahead of them. The full backs will probably be a bit more defensive also.

Last edited:

el3mel

Very, very important. Will tell us a lot about our character. We need to play for the win whether we get it or not.

DDG
    Young - Jones - Lindelof - Shaw
    Herrera - Matic - Pogba
    Lingard - Rashford - Martial
    There shouldn't be any surprises in the lineup. Play our game and press them and don't focus on not conceding as we'll mostly do. Just try to outscore them.

Buster15

Go on Didier
    Supports
    Bristol Rovers
    Think the honeymoon might be over and are in for a rude awakening. Please let me be wrong.
    You could well be right. A honeymoon doesn't last very long and we must remember how Tottenham cut our defence to pieces earlier on.

They are a terrific team who always manage to get the best out of their players.

I trust us to raise our game as the outcome of this match can have a huge effect on our season.
    Going to be very interesting.

Time for our players to prove they are capable of top four.

yfoFC

De Gea

Matic
    Herrera Pogba

Why do you think martial is in question?

Devil may care

I'd like to see the below team, hoping Smalling is a surprise return, if not I'd consider playing Darmian with Lindelof. I really just hope Ole sticks with the front 3 that kicked his reign off, the midfield 3 picks itself.

reddaz71

Fully expecting Kane, Son, Eriksen to embarrass our defence and especially Jones. 3-1 Spurs and the Ole honeymoon over.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    I'd like to see the below team, hoping Smalling is a surprise return, if not I'd consider playing Darmian with Lindelof. I really just hope Ole sticks with the front 3 that kicked his reign off, the midfield 3 picks itself.

Spot on with that lineup I think.
    Really hope Smalling is back, as Darmian and Lindelöf away at Tottenham would fill me with utter dread!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Fully expecting Kane, Son, Eriksen to embarrass our defence and especially Jones. 3-1 Spurs and the Ole honeymoon over.
    Can't be playing Jones against Kane again. We've learnt our lesson there.

Adcuth

We all know our best team now, it's clear. Let's attack them though, don't wanna see us sitting back

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
    Bring on the triple decker bus

Valencia - Darmian - Jones - Lindeloff - Shaw
    Matic - Herrera - Fellaini
    Lukaku - Rashford

...Oh wait !

Shark

@NotShark
    This game will have plenty goals, that's for certain. A draw would be decent, a win would be huge for our season.

IAmAWinner

Can't wait for this. First indication whether Ole could be a long-term manager for us. If he wins, Ole will become the favourite imo.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    You could well be right. A honeymoon doesn't last very long and we must remember how Tottenham cut our defence to pieces earlier on.

They are a terrific team who always manage to get the best out of their players.

I trust us to raise our game as the outcome of this match can have a huge effect on our season.
    Going to be very interesting.

Time for our players to prove they are capable of top four.
    As crazy as it sounds, we should never have lost that game, specially after the very good first half.

Snafu17

We'll concede, that a certainty. Hopefully we'll somehow manage to score more.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
    Agreed, I think the 5 games have shown we are not as bad as we looked under Jose, but we also not going to be setting the world alight.

We have a lot of deadwood in the squad and need to improve both first team and reserves.

ErranMorad

Can't wait for this. First indication whether Ole could be a long-term manager for us. If he wins, Ole will become the favourite imo.
    Not to single you out (there are a lot of people in the other Ole threads who are waiting to judge Ole based on this game and the Liverpool games), but don't you think it's harsh to form any basis based on this game or the Liverpool game? Those two are top 3 teams in the country with managers who have been in the position for 3-4 years and have got their own squads and style of play fully ingrained. Will it be not a disservice to pass a judgement on Ole based on how we do in those two games?

Deleted member 101472

Not much more to be said about this game other than we get to see just how good the players actually are.

Excited to see it unfold and think the way both teams will set up we are in for an absolute cracker.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Should be a pretty straightforward selection assuming there are no additional injuries whilst in Dubai. I hope Chris Smalling is back, but he shouldn't just be thrown into starting this game - just have him on the bench so we have an extra established CB in the 18. Of course, Rojo could be back if Smalling isn't, so at least we should have the option of putting an actual CB on the bench.

The bench will be more difficult to pick, but you'd have to assume at least Romero, Rojo/Smalling, Mata, and Lukaku have their places nailed down. I'd probably have Fellaini on the bench as well, just to provide that something a little different and direct. I expect this game to be quite intense and close, so substitutions could be what decides it. I'm however going for a 2-2 draw and would be happy with that result after the positive start under Ole:

de Gea
    Matic
    Herrera Pogba
    Lingard Rashford Martial
    ---
    Romero; Smalling, Darmian; Fellaini, Mata; Lukaku, Sanchez​

If Sanchez doesn't make it, I'd expect Pereira or Fred to be given his place. Likewise if Smalling doesn't make it, it should be Rojo or Dalot, then probably Valencia after that.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 95% of 969 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 776 ratings.