Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

balaks

Supports
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I really looking forward to this now. Tomorrow we have PL football back! Cant believe it:drool:
    Yeah I feel the same way. This is a must win game for Spurs and I'm feeling reasonably confident. It is unfortunate that our best player over the last few months before lockdown may not be available (Lo Celso) but having Kane and Son back more than makes up for that.

Knux

Supports
    AIK Stockholm
    Yeah I feel the same way. This is a must win game for Spurs and I'm feeling reasonably confident. It is unfortunate that our best player over the last few months before lockdown may not be available (Lo Celso) but having Kane and Son back more than makes up for that.
    Yeah, I was much More confident with a win before the break when Spurs injurylist was pretty bad with Kane, Son and a few more injuried. Sure, Pogba and Rashy was out for us too but we had a good momentum. At the same time Spurs were not in the best form going out in CL against Leipzeg(?) before the break.

I remember the post match interview with Mourinho after the Leipzeg defeat and he was very upset about the situation.
    But now, you have Kane and Son back which of course is huge. Think it be a tight game. Not feeling too confident I have to say. 1-1?

Riz

Not to be dramatic but I think already this is a must win game for us if we are to finish top 4.

With Chelsea and Leicester playing Villa and Watford, lose this and we could be 6 and 11 points behind. Could even fall below Wolves and Sheff United into 7th. Can’t afford a false start this week.

cyberman

Feeling very confident here. Spurs not being able to work on their fundamental flaws for 3 months, added to lack of fitness and habit of starting slowly after pre season anyway, I cant see how they magically get better.

balaks

Supports
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Feeling very confident here. Spurs not being able to work on their fundamental flaws for 3 months, added to lack of fitness and habit of starting slowly after pre season anyway, I cant see how they magically get better.
    We were one of the most in-form teams in the league after Jose came in before all our main players got injured then our form tanked. We have them all back now.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    Team with the best fitness wins this.

I'd be tempted to hold back a few high-energy/top quality for the last 20 mins or so to take advantage of any legginess.

If we're level at that point and able to introduce the likes of Pogba, Greenwood and McTominay, I'd back our changes over what Spurs have on the bench.

DDG
    AWB
    Maguire
    Lindelof
    Shaw
    Matic
    Fred
    Bruno
    James
    Rashford
    Martial

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
    Really hard to predict with no football to judge off for 3 months. I think Rashford will start if fit and I think we'll go high energy with Fred, McTominay, Bruno and James all in the mix.

Exactly the line-up that I'd go with, and I really hope that we do. The bench is going to look extremely strong (how long is it since we said that?) and we need to approach this game with the view that, depending on how the first hour goes, we have the bench to either move to a more attacking or more defensive unit, or just replace like-for-like without losing too much quality anywhere, because we WILL need to freshen it up after an hour.

So I'd pick the team above because its relatively risk-free. Pogba and Bruno is too much of a gamble for me until we've seen them together in shorter spells in competitive fixtures. If this was the first game of the season I'd maybe gamble, but it isn't. Its the hardest fixture of a 9 game season of which we probably need to win 6 or 7 to get top 4.

We know that Fred and McT are very comfortable playing together and have the energy and ability to (I expect) dominate that Spurs midfield, particularly with Bruno's willingness to help out. Having a bench of:

Romero
    Williams
    Bailly
    Matic
    Pogba
    Greenwood
    Ighalo

Just gives us so many options to change things should things either not be working or if Jose comes up with some hybrid system that we need to adjust for.

Im incredibly excited for this match. It will be fascinating to see how both teams cope with this situation, and really given how much of a mess our squad was when Jose left its really a testament to the work the club have done that we are able to field an XI that strong with the best bench we've had in many years.

I think we win 3-1, but no way I'd be putting any money on it given the uncertainty. Pretty much any result in between in 4-0 win and a 4-0 defeat wouldn't be a major surprise.

cyberman

We were one of the most in-form teams in the league after Jose came in before all our main players got injured then our form tanked. We have them all back now.
    Yeah but you performed badly in a lot of them, outplayed a lot only to have Kane or Son get you out of jail.
    It was really strange as to how your new manager bounce didnt really last that long.
    The likes of Brighton at home and Norwich away sticks in my mind. Joses methods just weren't getting through.

balaks

Supports
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Yeah but you performed badly in a lot of them, outplayed a lot only to have Kane or Son get you out of jail.
    It was really strange as to how your new manager bounce didnt really last that long.
    The likes of Brighton at home and Norwich away sticks in my mind. Joses methods just weren't getting through.
    It lasted until he lost our most important players. He also picked up the team mid-way through the season so hasn't even had a pre-season with them yet. Lot's of improvements to come I hope.

Anyway this game is a real coin toss for both teams as neither have played any football for months so no idea what will happen. I have a good feeling about it though and expect us to win.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Has Pogba recovered from his injury and is he now able to play for us?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Would be silly to not start both Pogba and Bruno, unless they've picked up knocks.
    Picked up knocks? They've had months of rest and Bruno in particular is someone who wants to play every match.
    Some suspect that Pogba is making up his injury as he no longer wants to play for MUFC - we could find out how true this is in the next week or so.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
    I think our midfield is miles better than the Spurs one and therefore I think we will win this one. I agree with the post above that we should start with a "high tempo" eleven and simply try to keep the tempo as high as possible during the first 60 minutes. After that bring Matic, Williams, Pogba, Ighalo and Greenwood on to secure three points.

Rashford - Martial - James
    Fred - Bruno - McTerminator
    Shaw - Harry - Lindelöf - AWB

Not against starting Greenwood over James and bring the latter one on against tired legs either, but I think Ole will choose the safer route in starting James.

I just can't see Winks, NDombele and Sissoko coping with that and Dier is probably going to start as a CB too.

1-3 (Martial, Rashford, Pogba)

SuperiorXI

Picked up knocks? They've had months of rest and Bruno in particular is someone who wants to play every match.
    Some suspect that Pogba is making up his injury as he no longer wants to play for MUFC - we could find out how true this is in the next week or so.
    In training

tomaldinho1

Tempting fate but, Harry Kane doesn’t scare me in the slightest. Any decent defender can handle him. Of course, if presented with a clear sight of goal, he’ll most likely take the chance - but earning that clear sight of goal? He’s barely ever managed it against us. He won’t run past anyone, won’t beat a man. If concentration is kept and he’s not afforded a clear sight of goal - I think we’ll manage him. He’s scored a couple of 6 yard box goals against us in his career, and he’ll do so again if he gets a chance, but Son is the real threat for me.
    Agreed - I think we'd be much more susceptible to Moura playing up top. Kane obviously a class player but he's the type of player I think Maguire and Lindelof prefer playing against.

Can't wait now

Paul_Scholes18

What would Maguire be doing so far up, unless its a corner, in which AWB does take them? :p
    Corner from Bruno that fails and the ball bounce back to Wan Bissaka on the right. He beat his man in Son and put in a deadly cross for Maguire who is too lazy to run back. 1-0 Man United.

Paul_Scholes18

Only 2 managers have beaten Pep 3 times in the same season. Klopp and Ole.
    Semifinal over two games I would not really count as a win to win only the second leg. It was Pep who could celebrate after that one since they reached the final.
    Beat him in the Fa cu final and we can talk about Ole smashing Pep. That would be amazing even with no fans to join the celebration.

Jaxa

Not to be dramatic but I think already this is a must win game for us if we are to finish top 4.

With Chelsea and Leicester playing Villa and Watford, lose this and we could be 6 and 11 points behind. Could even fall below Wolves and Sheff United into 7th. Can’t afford a false start this week.
    Not dramatic at all, we absolutely need to win this game, it is vital for both the points on the table and also the moral of the squad for the remaining 8 PL games after, i just hope this is not a false down because through the glimpses of social media seeing the squad training and looking so positive, we look very much equipped to put spurs away but as we know, anything can happen in 90 minutes.

I think the one of the worst games i seen from United was when we played Spurs in 2018, i remember everyone so optimistic that we would win and within 11 seconds we conceded to an Eriksen goal, and then Phil Jones scored an OG after 28 minutes to top it off, man that was a dark day.

Anyway I am sure that wont happen this time :D

always_hoping

I'm less confident about the win with the news that Jonathan Moss will be ref.

Hopefully the momentum that was built up with the 11 game unbeaten run isn't lost with the 3 month break and with Pogba, Rashford back they can hit the ground running.

Gator Nate

Three days... I'll be climbing the walls by then... and the best part is, I have Friday off.

So, I keep thinking about the match fitness stuff. It would appear that Ole has really been pushing things with the individual and small group practices and behind-closed-doors matches to get the guys up to standard. Additionally, the mentality he's been instilling in them, and from the things they've said since the beginning of last summer, I think it's been sinking in, makes me think they've been preparing themselves for the moment even under lockdown. On the other hand, I don't see the Recycled One being the kind of coach that makes such demands of his players. He might expect it, but either they do or they don't, he won't be bothered by those details.

All that to say this: I expect MUFC to come out of the gates hard and fast, especially compared to the rest of the league.

Mihai

Semifinal over two games I would not really count as a win to win only the second leg. It was Pep who could celebrate after that one since they reached the final.
    Beat him in the Fa cu final and we can talk about Ole smashing Pep. That would be amazing even with no fans to join the celebration.
    I am sorry if I somehow offended your idol. It was a joke and not really serious.

Robbo 7

It will be interesting to see how both teams uses the 5 subs rule. We could end up with 2 completely different teams from the start of the match.

I would expect Matic, Fred, McT, Pogba and Bruno all to play in the game at some time.

DDG
    AWB
    Maguire
    Lindelof
    Shaw
    Fred
    Matic
    Bruno
    Rashford
    Martial
    James

Subs: Greenwood, Ighalo, Pogba and McT

Paul_Scholes18

I'm less confident about the win with the news that Jonathan Moss will be ref.

Hopefully the momentum that was built up with the 11 game unbeaten run isn't lost with the 3 month break and with Pogba, Rashford back they can hit the ground running.
    Ooh bloody not Moss. He always seem to do something crazy. I fear for a Pogba or Matic red card here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Please don't start with that again :lol:

He might not start against Spurs but I think he will get at least 20/30 mins towards the end of the match, Ole will want to work him back in with little pressure.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    Team with the best fitness wins this.

DDG
    AWB
    Maguire
    Lindelof
    Shaw
    Matic
    Fred Pogba
    Bruno
    James
    Rashford
    Martial
    Fitness is critical, but I think we'll also have too much quality. Agreed with this team (Pogba instead of Fred), also allows for fresh legs of McT for Matic and Fred for Pogba when they tire as well as Greenwood, Mata and Bailly should they be required.

I think we win 1-2, but its quite comfortable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 55% of 301 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 336 ratings.

Score Predictions