Totti vs Del Piero

Who is better Del Piero or Totti?

• Total voters

Sally Cinnamon

As I'm writing this post the poll has Totti leading 50.5% - 49.5%. That pretty much sums it up for me. Totti just edges it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I kind of reflexively chose Del Piero, but now struggling to think why exactly. Nothing between them, I prefer Baggio to both though.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Totti. The king of volleys. Man, I love a good volley.

I like Del Piero more, because Totti is a bit of a prick. But Totti was the better player. Very little in it though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Del Piero for me. He's proven himself being able to compete with and against the best.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Totti was better than Del Piero for me - the latter was more of a goalscorer and a slightly better dribbler due to agility/change of pace, but Totti was the far better passer and was more instrumental to his side. In the early-mid 00's everything good about Roma went through Totti. For a primarily creative player his scoring record is outstanding, and goals are only one aspect of what Totti offers.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Totti was better than Del Piero for me - the latter was more of a goalscorer and a slightly better dribbler due to agility/change of pace, but Totti was the far better passer and was more instrumental to his side. In the early-mid 00's everything good about Roma went through Totti. For a primarily creative player his scoring record is outstanding, and goals are only one aspect of what Totti offers.

Impressive video that, up there with Riquelme's greatest assists.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Much like Brazilian Ronaldo, we'll never know just what Del Piero would've been like without major injury.

IIRC he did his knee ligaments during a moment when he was absolutely on fire in 97/98, robbed him of some pace and sharpness for the rest of his career.

Totti has been astonishing too mind, if anything he's gotten better into his late thirties.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Ridiculous quality in terms of first time passing and back heels. Totti is amazing.

x42bn6

Del Piero is a gentleman, but Totti is just that outrageously good.

You wonder what would have been if Roma had been as successful and strong as Juventus throughout their careers. That Totti is even mentioned in the same sentence as Del Piero despite the disparity in team quality is a testament to how good Totti really was.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Much like Brazilian Ronaldo, we'll never know just what Del Piero would've been like without major injury.

IIRC he did his knee ligaments during a moment when he was absolutely on fire in 97/98, robbed him of some pace and sharpness for the rest of his career.

Totti has been astonishing too mind, if anything he's gotten better into his late thirties.
No. We definitely saw enough. Best player ever.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Del Piero's pre-injury peak was in my opinion better than Totti's peak. From 1999 onwards Totti was the better player though.
I think that is about right. One thing I would say though is Del Piero played better in the bigger games, for a while Totti was seen as a player who didn't really perform on the international stage or the CL games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Anyway, gone for Totti - just. Del Piero had a bigger profile because he was at arguably the best side in Europe at a point, and was brilliant in the Champions League early on in his career.

Totti was always criticised in England, probably on here too, much like Zlatan. He was apparently in the category of 'overrated' or 'everytime I see him he's rubbish'. He has been a wonderfully gifted player though, won the Golden Boot in Serie A when he was about 31 I think playing as a second striker. Del Piero was brilliant, but not as good for as long as Totti.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Went to my Italian barbers today and asked this question. All said Totti, and surprisingly so did the Juventus fan.

RooneyLegend

Del Piero. Pre injury Del Piero was heading for a ballon d'or. I've never felt that way about Totti.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Del Piero. Pre injury Del Piero was heading for a ballon d'or. I've never felt that way about Totti.
Pretty much this, Del Piero was on fire before that injury took that yard of pace off him and set him back a year of rehab.

If he was never injured we don't know exactly how high he really could have went as he was probably the best player in the world at that point.

Totti probably edged it after Del Piero had his injury to be fair but Del Piero still was performing in big games for Juve consistently at a very high level.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Eh? So you're voting for Del Piero because of some hypothetical scenario in which he didn't get injured and as a result was a better player?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Every volley is technically perfect. Love it.
Volleys for goals, for through balls and for long balls. Totti was/is something else really. Left and right foot too, some ridiculous technique he's got.

Eh? So you're voting for Del Piero because of some hypothetical scenario in which he didn't get injured and as a result was a better player?
It makes little sense tbh, that would be like saying Ronaldo (the big one) is a better player than Messi/Ronaldo despite the fact that his injury prevented him from achieving a lot more than he did in his career. While during a certain period he might have been just that but their entire careers are taken into account the answer is just obvious.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
According to a Juve-supporting mate, most Italians would say Totti. I asked him about Baggio, he said Baggio better than both.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
No. We definitely saw enough. Best player ever.
We didn't.

His pre-knee injury self getting better and better would've been something to behold at his peak.

As it was he was merely incredible, even when he got fat.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We didn't.

His pre-knee injury self getting better and better would've been something to behold at his peak.

As it was he was merely incredible, even when he got fat.
I don't think Ronaldo ever 'got better' at any stage of his career. He was phenomenal. He simply arrived. He was better than everybody else as a teenager in Barcelona, and I suspect he was the best player in the world when was at PSV too, probably even Cruizero as a reserve. There was no 'peak' to speak of, all he would have had to do was maintain. He's one player that you cannot trace back a 'yong and lernin' phase of his career. From memory, he scored about 20 in 20 for Cruizero as a kid, and like 50 in 50 for PSV (in a period where the Dutch league was strong enough to produce the best team in Europe). His record was similar at Barcelona and Inter too.

He's also scored a shit load of World Cup goals, and has scored in UEFA Cup finals I believe. So while I agree, his injuries were a shame for every football fan, he got to show enough to go down as the greatest player ever. Actually, maybe 'greatest' isn't the word, because 'greatness' is a bit of a Ballon D'orish term judged by so many factors these days. I'll go with 'best'.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think that Totti was easily better and of course, aged far better than Del Piero.

However, he suffers in these kind of discussions because of the team he played the entire career. He hasn't won much and many people who doesn't watch Serie A regularly haven't seen him playing much (because Roma wasn't regularly on UCL).

Revan

Assumptionman

Agree with most of the bolded part. But then if you look at stats, Totti has only 20 goals less than Del Piero despite playing 50 less games. And Totti for a big art of his career played deeper than Del Piero.

However not about the dribbling, Totti was IMO the better dribbler. He also had a crazy speed in his early years.

Revan

Assumptionman
Impressive video that, up there with Riquelme's greatest assists.

Never understood what happened with him.

He was arguably the best midfielder in the world in 2006 and until the quarter final was easily the best player in World Cup. Then Pellegrini had something with him and didn't play him for a year while Maradona didn't liked him too and didn't call him.

I think that he had the best final pass I have ever seen and was as talented (if not more) than the likes of Xavi, Pirlo or Scholes.

MTR

hates Herrera
Don't look at my tag. Not native English speaker
Never understood what happened with him.

He was arguably the best midfielder in the world in 2006 and until the quarter final was easily the best player in World Cup. Then Pellegrini had something with him and didn't play him for a year while Maradona didn't liked him too and didn't call him.

I think that he had the best final pass I have ever seen and was as talented (if not more) than the likes of Xavi, Pirlo or Scholes.
You forgot about van Gaal kicking him out of Barcelona.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
According to a Juve-supporting mate, most Italians would say Totti. I asked him about Baggio, he said Baggio better than both.
I agree with your Juve friend regarding Baggio.

I think Del Piero is leading here because of United fans' general admiration of Il Capitano and Totti being lil cnut on field but ability wise Totti might just edge it.

paulscholes18

I have to vote for Del Piero, he was my favourite player when I was a kid (and still is). Loved watching him play on channel 4 program GOAL LAZIO.