Totti vs Del Piero

Who is better Del Piero or Totti?

• Total voters

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Totti should have won this by so so far. At his best the better player and with much more longevity. Okay he played for the wrong team to win stuff
Young, roided up Del Piero before he blew his knee was a marvel

In 97/98 there was a whole Ronaldo vs Del Piero debate in Italy and the thing is, it wasn't insane

And Ronaldo was an alien god

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Young, roided up Del Piero before he blew his knee was a marvel

In 97/98 there was a whole Ronaldo vs Del Piero debate in Italy and the thing is, it wasn't insane

And Ronaldo was an alien god
Agreed, Del Piero at his best was the better player for sure. His knee injuries slowed him down from reaching even bigger heights. Totti was top drawer and did it for a longer period but his best wasn’t as good as Del Pieros.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Let me equip some very sturdy armour before I say this.

Del Piero, I think Totti is a bit overrated due to his, oh my God he's so loyal to Roma shtick.

Please give me a 10 second headstart before you start hurling rocks at me.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Let me equip some very sturdy armour before I say this.

Del Piero, I think Totti is a bit overrated due to his, oh my God he's so loyal to Roma shtick.

Please give me a 10 second headstart before you start hurling rocks at me.
Over the course of the respective careers Totti is the better player, there's really no argument otherwise worth even considering

Del Piero in his best season though(97/98) was better than Totti at any point in his career. Though having said that, Del Piero was most likely roided up to his eyeballs that season, soooo...

I mean, he went from looking like the heir to Baggio, to super peak-Rooney in the span of a summer...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Over the course of the respective careers Totti is the better player, there's really no argument otherwise worth even considering

Del Piero in his best season though(97/98) was better than Totti at any point in his career. Though having said that, Del Piero was most likely roided up to his eyeballs that season, soooo...

I mean, he went from looking like the heir to Baggio, to super peak-Rooney in the span of a summer...
Ah that's also when they beat Ajax in the CL final where they could sprint constantly for 90 minutes without ever getting tired? Seemed a bit dodgy at the time.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ah that's also when they beat Ajax in the CL final where they could sprint constantly for 90 minutes without ever getting tired? Seemed a bit dodgy at the time.
Yeah, it's been proved that juventus were pumping their players full of PEDs in that period. PEDs that were mostly legal at the time(due to being new), but still. In the case of Del Piero i think that's what "ruined" him. It almost certainly contributed to his injury and was likely the main reason why he went 3 years looking like a shade of himself afterwards, and never even recaptured the levels he was at in '96

They pumped him too much, turned him into the incredible hulk, and it completely changed his game. When the PEDs stopped, he had to essentially re-learn how to be a flair player who couldn't just run through CBs twice his size or outpace fullbacks...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sorry, but where does this Del Piero did roids thing come from?? Actual proof?
Yes. Look up Riccardo Agricola

You might also just take a couple random games from the 95/96 season vs 97/98 for a comparison

To be clear, juventus players were unaware of it

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yes. Look up Riccardo Agricola

You might also just take a couple random games from the 95/96 season vs 97/98 for a comparison

To be clear, juventus players were unaware of it
Yes. Paulo Sousa ruined his knee thinking he was doing some kind of advanced treatment with medicine to cure his injuries, but he was just taking enhancing drugs and painkillers that didn't gave the sleepy secondary effects.
He eventually got an indemnity from Juventus due to that.

Off-topic curiosity: Paulo Sousa was one of the main responsible players for the birth of the defensive midfielder that was also a deep-lying play maker.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Except Vialli. Vialli probably knew what was going on

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Liked them both, Totti edges it for me.

freeurmind

weak willed
Wow, I was sure most people would go for Totti. I voted for Del Piero, he was one of my favourite non-United players growing up. Sentiment aside though, I think you could argue Totti had the better club career.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It took a crocked Del Piero for both of them to be put in the same equation.
Well no. After 1998 there's really no question that Totti was the better player

Del Piero has that "what could have been" argument for him, before 1998 he was incredible, but it's the same argument as with Owen or Rooney...