Toughest/easiest run to the CL Final?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not really top of the league clear when we drew them. I bet if we look on the threads here most had atletico going through.
Yeah because people weren't sure about the effect Tuchel was having. Now it's clearer he's doing a decent to good job.

Already talked about them being top of the league. They built that lead in the first half. When you played them they were starting to slip.

Remember, I have already said you played well in that tie. But to reach a semi playing a poor Atletico and Porto is a nice run.

We're you surprised how easy it was against Atletico? Did you expect them to be better than they were?

Oranges038

I always feel that we glorify that a little bit. We played fantastic clubs with fantastic players... But Juventus and Inter has a stinker of a year and finished 7th and 8th in the Serie A. A strong league, big clubs, wonderful players... But not great teams at the time.
Brondby aside. They were all tough games against big teams full of excellent players, and Utd just made the knockout rounds by being the second best second placed team. It was one of the toughest routes to a win by any team.

Hell of a lot tougher than the route Bayern got anyway.

Amir

Brondby aside. They were all tough games against big teams full of excellent players, and Utd just made the knockout rounds by being the second best second placed team. It was one of the toughest routes to a win by any team.

Hell of a lot tougher than the route Bayern got anyway.
It was definitely very difficult, I'm not disputing that. Just adding a little more context for the two knock out phases. Inter, for all the great players it had, just wasn't a very good team while the great Juventus team of previous years was a little past their best.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I remember we had a shockingly easy run up to one of the finals we lost. 2011 I think when we had to face Schalke with Neuer in GOD mode and I swear they never got in our half once in that game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It was definitely very difficult, I'm not disputing that. Just adding a little more context for the two knock out phases. Inter, for all the great players it had, just wasn't a very good team while the great Juventus team of previous years was a little past their best.
Juventus were actually really good after changing manager, but yeah, i wouldn't call them great either

United, bayern, barcelona, dinamo kyev and milan were the 5 best sides in the world that season. And i'm not sure i'd call milan great either. Serie A still had the mystique but had already began its decline by then. It was still the strongest league by depth, but at the top was weaker than the other 3 top leagues

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No idea how that Schalke team got so far. Even Anderson scored twice IIRC.
Yeah we fully rotated for the home leg of a CL semi final and won 4-1. We were good but that was probably the easiest run I've ever seen.

Oranges038

Hard disagree. Dinamo Kyev were better than inter or juventus, by a lot
Because they beat the defending champions Real?

They had a legendary coach, a decent keeper, Rebrov and Shevchenko were their best players.

Oh and I forgot about that legend of legends Luzhny at the back.

No way were they one of the best teams in the world, they just had a decent run in the champions league for one season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

They had a legendary coach, a decent keeper, Rebrov and Shevchenko were their best players.

No way were they one of the best teams in the world, they just had a decent run in the champions league for one season.
They beat real madrid, pissed a group with arsenal and took Bayern to the brink. I remember that side, it was a great side, certainly better than anything from serie A that season

Oranges038

They beat real madrid, pissed a group with arsenal and took Bayern to the brink. I remember that side, it was a great side, certainly better than anything from serie A that season
It was a good side that had a decent run to the champions league semi finals one year and did nothing of note after they lost their best player. Shevchenko is the only player from them that had what could be called a good career after that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It was a good side that had a decent run to the champions league semi finals one year and did nothing of note after they lost their best player. Shevchenko is the only player from them that had what could be called a good career after that.
They were great that season though. The season before they humiliated barcelona and actually gave juventus some serious trouble before their inexperience and naivete let juventus take control of the tie

That season they pissed a not easy group, beat real madrid handily and frankly were the better side in the semifinal against bayern

However you want to paint, they were quite clearly the third of 4th best team in the competiton itself

passing-wind

I think this year's collapse with Liverpool / Bayern being knockout certainly good examples of a perceived easier road to finals.

I don't see any outstanding team amongst Chelsea, PSG, Real and City. City perhaps more so but given their form in European competition they don't seem to play with the same intensity compared to the domestic showings.

thepolice123

My point was that people base these things on the names of the teams you play, not the actual quality of the sides.
You can’t seriously be telling me those three are quality opponents.

Against Marseille we were barely in trouble. They had no attack and once we scored it was as good as over.

Chelsea were crap that season. There were reports of infighting within the players. Their new signings were poor including a certain Torres. Roman also sacked their assistant manager.

The Schalke match was basically target practice for us. I think Neuer must have had like 10 saves in the first leg.

Oranges038

They were great that season though. The season before they humiliated barcelona and actually gave juventus some serious trouble before their inexperience and naivete let juventus take control of the tie

That season they pissed a not easy group, beat real madrid handily and frankly were the better side in the semifinal against bayern

However you want to paint, they were quite clearly the third of 4th best team in the competiton itself
Technically because they got to the semis they were one of the best 4 teams. But they weren't a better side nor did they have better players than Juventus or Inter.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You can’t seriously be telling me those three are quality opponents.

Against Marseille we were barely in trouble. They had no attack and once we scored it was as good as over.

Chelsea were crap that season. There were reports of infighting within the players. Their new signings were poor including a certain Torres. Roman also sacked their assistant manager.

The Schalke match was basically target practice for us. I think Neuer must have had like 10 saves in the first leg.
We were pretty poor that season (despite finishing 2nd) but i can't recall any infighting, if anything the atmosphere was too far the other way.

lysglimt

Scout
What are some of the toughest or easiest runs to the CL final?

Thought PSG have a pretty tough run so far :

Barcelona
Bayern
City

An "easy" run that came to mind was CL 10/11. Our oppositions were:

Marseille
Chelsea (weren't very good that year)
Schalke
Not exactly C.L - but to get an easier way to a final than we had the year we won the Europa League isn't possible. Every decent team in the tournament were knocked out by fairly small Clubs:
Rostov, Anderlecht, Celta Vigo and Ajax - and the first 3 were not even having a particularly good season in their home countries. Whereas Ajax at the time were a bunch of 18-20 year olds with lots of talent but no physical strength

stubie

Valencia had a tough route to the Final in 2000

GS1 Bayern, PSV, Rangers
GS2 Man Utd, Bordeaux, Fiorentina
QF Lazio
SF Barcelona
F Real Madrid

Amir

Technically because they got to the semis they were one of the best 4 teams. But they weren't a better side nor did they have better players than Juventus or Inter.
But having better/worse players doesn't necessarily make you a better/worse side. It's a combination of things. The Dynamo Kiev of that period was a terrific side, better than some of Europe big names, even if it had just one player who will go on to do big things.

For all the big names they had, Inter weren't a great team.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

As a result of what they did in the Champions League that season they had to be considered one of the best teams in the world. Who cares if they were light on names when they were running rings around most of the best teams in Europe? They were actually unlucky not to win the entire thing. Bayern were second best in their semi-final and fortunately survived through a wonder goal from Basler and a heroic display from Kahn.

Chabon

We were pretty poor that season (despite finishing 2nd) but i can't recall any infighting, if anything the atmosphere was too far the other way.
When we played you you were in the midst of a run of winning 8 out of 9 in the league which began with you beating us, a run which set up a title decider between the two clubs in May. It might not be have been the greatest Chelsea side ever, but it’s laughable to suggest that going up against the champions of England in a great run of form is some kind of free pass in a European Cup quarter final. Especially when the supposedly superior Real got to have a quarter final against fecking Spurs.

Devil81

PSG have definitely had a tough run to the Semis.

A group with us, RB Leipzig, then facing Barca, Bayern and now City is tough.

I also think Real have had a tough run to the semis - in a group with Inter Milan and Borussia Monchengladbach, then facing Atalanta, Liverpool and now Chelsea in the semis.

Our 99 run to the final was the most difficult though in my opinion. In a group with Bayern and Barca, then Inter and Juve in the KO rounds and Bayern in the final. They don't come tougher than that. This was back when Serie A as a league was very competitive.
That's what sets the 99 team apart, getting out of the group alone was a massive task for either of the three teams.

Oranges038

But having better/worse players doesn't necessarily make you a better/worse side. It's a combination of things. The Dynamo Kiev of that period was a terrific side, better than some of Europe big names, even if it had just one player who will go on to do big things.

For all the big names they had, Inter weren't a great team.
As a result of what they did in the Champions League that season they had to be considered one of the best teams in the world. Who cares if they were light on names when they were running rings around most of the best teams in Europe? They were actually unlucky not to win the entire thing. Bayern were second best in their semi-final and fortunately survived through a wonder goal from Basler and a heroic display from Kahn.
Christ, you'd swear they were playing superb football all the time, sweeping all before them and hammering everybody for years and were unlucky not to win the thing on numerous occasions.

A few examples to put this in context.

Rangers in 93, Panathanaikos in 96, Leeds in 01, Villareal in 06 or even Monaco in 17.

Flash in the pan teams that had a decent/lucky run for a year in the champions league?

Or just great European teams stacked with top class players having another great year?

Eddy_JukeZ

Nobody would say we had an easy run in 2011 if we’d played reigning champions Inter in the semis, which we didn’t, because Schalke absolutely fecking slaughtered them in the QFs.

We were absolutely the second best team in Europe that season, unfortunately we were a long fecking way behind the best, but acting like we strolled (undefeated) into the final because of shit opponents is laughable revisionism.
I don't think we were better than Real Madrid that season to be honest.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Christ, you'd swear they were playing superb football all the time, sweeping all before them and hammering everybody for years and were unlucky not to win the thing on numerous occasions.

A few examples to put this in context.

Rangers in 93, Panathanaikos in 96, Leeds in 01, Villareal in 06 or even Monaco in 17.

Flash in the pan teams that had a decent/lucky run for a year in the champions league?

Or just great European teams stacked with top class players having another great year?
The starting point here is that they were a better side than Inter and Juventus in 1998/99. Aside from both Italian sides ending up in mid-table that year, Inter were extremely dysfunctional, unbalanced and top-heavy, relying heavily on one player, while Juventus had become a shadow of the force that had dominated Europe in the mid-1990s.

But look at Kyiv's record over a three-year period:

1997/98 - Champions League quarter-finalists: winning a group including Barcelona, Newcastle and PSV, pumping Barcelona - who won La Liga that season - 7-0 on aggregate.

1998/99 - Champions League semi-finalists: winning a group that included Arsenal (who pushed United so close in league and cup that year), knocking out Real -the reigning Champions League winners in the quarter-finals - then somehow lost a semi-final they dominated against Bayern.

1999/00 - Champions League last 16: now without Shevchenko, came third in a group of Bayern and Real Madrid, winning 10 points and having a better goal difference, but going out on head-to-head to the Real team that then knocked out United, Bayern and Valencia en route to winning.

They weren't a flash in the pan, but one of the top teams in Europe over a three-year period.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Inter and juventus were having a very poor year. They didn't even qualify for the next CL, and barely made it to the UEFA Cup. Great players don't make a great team. Look at real madrid two years ago, and now. Pretty much the same players. Much different results

Bayern, United and Dinamo Kyev were the three best performing teams in the CL, by a very wide margin. Which makes them the 3 best teams in the competition that season

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Kaladze was solid for Milan too. Luzhny had too many years behind him by the time of the Arsenal move, playing full seasons since 1986 and they bought him after he had already started picking up serious injuries.

They actually had a good campaign the year after Shevchenko left too. Slow start, but more or less matched Bayern and Real in the 2nd group stage in their games against them, had 10 points alongside Real only to go out because of the h2h (2-1, 2-2) between the two. Goal difference tie-breaker would have seen them play United in the quarters.

Belkevich and Rebrov were great that year, which made it surprising that Rebrov couldn't get a better move than Tottenham considering his consistent CL form over the last few seasons. Belkevich the playmaker was their other player that could have deserved a big move, and maybe Husin at defensive midfield, however both had a lot of injury problems.

Amir

Being a flash in a pan team doesn't mean that team wasn't really good in a particular season. Which is the only thing that matters if the discussion is about whether facing them in that particular season was part of a tough run in.

Get In Scholesy

PSG have definitely had a tough run to the Semis.

A group with us, RB Leipzig, then facing Barca, Bayern and now City is tough.

I also think Real have had a tough run to the semis - in a group with Inter Milan and Borussia Monchengladbach, then facing Atalanta, Liverpool and now Chelsea in the semis.

Our 99 run to the final was the most difficult though in my opinion. In a group with Bayern and Barca, then Inter and Juve in the KO rounds and Bayern in the final. They don't come tougher than that. This was back when Serie A as a league was very competitive.
This. Cannot state it enough. Extremely tough road to the finals, while winning the league and FA Cup that season. Easily one of the greatest football teams (and seasons) ever.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

PSG 2021 looks hard on paper but when you consider how bad Barca has been in the CL for the past few years and that Bayern were missing their 2 best attackers (including their best player) It's not as impressive as plenty of other runs.

I'd say the hardest run is probably Madrid 2018.

The easiest one in recent memory would be PSG 2020 with Dortmund,Atalanta,Leipzig.

sukhy

Liverpool in 2022 will take some beating. Inter, Benfica, Villarreal is ridiculously soft.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool in 2022 will take some beating. Inter, Benfica, Villarreal is ridiculously soft.
And if the final is with Atletico then absolutely hands down the softest. Even this aged Real Madrid. Not that I'm saying we'll get to the final or win it.

But our 2005 run was ridiculous: Monaco and Rivaldo-led Olympiakos in the group stages. Monaco were CL runners up the previous season. Bayer Leverkusen, then Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan. All three strong favourites to win the CL that season. Very strong favourites.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
And if the final is with Atletico then absolutely hands down the softest. Even this aged Real Madrid. Not that I'm saying we'll get to the final or win it.

But our 2005 run was ridiculous: Monaco and Rivaldo-led Olympiakos in the group stages. Monaco were CL runners up the previous season. Bayer Leverkusen, then Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan. All three strong favourites to win the CL that season. Very strong favourites.
Our run 1999 is toughest ever. Bayern and Barca in group stage. Then Inter filled with stars and best Ronaldo ever (who didn't play though), best Juve side ever with Zidane and again Bayern.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Our run 1999 is toughest ever. Bayern and Barca in group stage. Then Inter filled with stars and best Ronaldo ever (who didn't play though), best Juve side ever with Zidane and again Bayern.
Zidane wasn't really fit IIRC but yes, a tough run.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
If we(RM) make it to the final, this would likely rival our 17/18 run.