Train derailed in Scotland - Update: 3 dead reported so far...

RedPed

Whatabouter.
A train has been derailed in Scotland. Authorities and emergency services are still assessing the full extent of the situation but obviously serious injuries confirned at this stage. Doesn't look good for the passengers. It's also in a remote part of Scotland, Stonehaven wherever that is.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Saw this, it's about 5-10 miles south of Aberdeen on the main line going South.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's just south of Aberdeen and is on the line between that and Dundee - I was there on that line 2 weeks ago... On the coast, lovely little seaside town. I live around 30 miles south-west. Looks awful, fingers crossed for everyone on board. :(

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Not super rural area. Been on that very line many times. Supposedly a video was put up about flooding/slips in that area a few hours before the derailment. Scary, and hope everyone gets out unscathed.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Saw this, it's about 5-10 miles south of Aberdeen on the main line going South.
It's just south of Aberdeen and is on the line between that and Dundee - I was there on that line 2 weeks ago... On the coast, lovely little seaside town. I live around 30 miles south-west. Looks awful, fingers crossed for everyone on board. :(
Ah ok, thanks for the additional info.

Not looking good though tbh. :(

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sounds very serious and unfortunately likely to be really bad injuries and possibly deaths. Awful thing to have happened.

Baxter

Not really that remote. I’ve seen pictures on WhatsApp of the trains and it looks terrible.

We had a pretty grim storm around 6-7 this morning in Aberdeen and it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a landslide or similar.

I haven’t seen if the train was going south or north but if itwas going north I imagine it will have been fairly busy with people working in the city.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not really that remote. I’ve seen pictures on WhatsApp of the trains and it looks terrible.

We had a pretty grim storm around 6-7 this morning in Aberdeen and it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a landslide or similar.

I haven’t seen if the train was going south or north but if itwas going north I imagine it will have been fairly busy with people working in the city.
Good point about the storm. It went on for about 6 hours (1-7 am) in Angus so wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case.

Lovely weather today too so might be a few on there taking advantage of the sun. :(

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
This is supposedly an image of the crash. If it's genuine then there's bound to be fatalities.

altodevil

Christ. That will be genuine, that's a ScotRail train.

OleBoiii

Awful. How does something like this happen? Driver mistake? Weather?
Scorching sun can alter the tracks a bit, but I think these accidents typically are caused by the driver speeding up a little too much before a turn.

altodevil

It'll be 100% a landslip caused by the recent rain.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
This is supposedly an image of the crash. If it's genuine then there's bound to be fatalities.
The reports are that it derailed and slipped down an embankment. Perhaps this photo isn't real after all?

altodevil

The reports are that it derailed and slipped down an embankment. Perhaps this photo isn't real after all?
To be fair that may not be the entire train, and there looks to be an embankment on the right.

Baxter

There is photo of another carriage that is definitely down an embankment. I had Sky on there and although they seemed to suggest 3 out of 4 carriages went down, I wonder if that’s accurate.

Baxter

PA saying 6 passengers and 6 staff on board.

Also saying the driver has died and they fear one more has died.

hobbers

PA saying 6 passengers and 6 staff on board.

Also saying the driver has died and they fear one more has died.
Surely there'd be more than 6 passengers going from Aberdeen to Glasgow on a typical work day, even during lockdown.

altodevil

Surely there'd be more than 6 passengers going from Aberdeen to Glasgow on a typical work day, even during lockdown.
Only really a commuting line once you hit Perth. Folk don't commute Aberdeen to Glasgow. Dundee to Glasgow a stretch too.

NinjaFletch

I think it's easy to forget that Scotland is actually pretty big once you get north of the central belt. Aberdeen to Glasgow is a two and a half hour train journey, there's not going to be many people commuting that every day.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Horrible, RIP to those poor souls.

A thought to the emergency services working through the scene today also, it’s bloody boiling and the scene was probably horrific.

Last edited:

Hammerfell

Thoughts to all those involved. It’s been a while since we had a pretty serious incident in this country.

binary bot
Is that part below just one of the carriages you see on top of it?:(

hobbers

Only really a commuting line once you hit Perth. Folk don't commute Aberdeen to Glasgow. Dundee to Glasgow a stretch too.
I think it's easy to forget that Scotland is actually pretty big once you get north of the central belt. Aberdeen to Glasgow is a two and a half hour train journey, there's not going to be many people commuting that every day.
True but I used to get the Edinburgh-Aberdeen early train quite often and was surprised how busy it was.

I've also seen the Aberdeen-Glasgow early train arriving at Dundee and it looked, not busy by any stretch, but definitely more than a handful of people.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
First official statements on the crash are starting to come through. They seem to be confirming that the train did leave on time (6:38) and then was halted by a signal, due to problems (flooding and possible landslide) on the line ahead (southbound)

The train was eventually given instructions to head back north but hit a landslide.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...train-derailed-landslip-investigators-confirm