Television Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 (Netflix)

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I totally agree it was the organization, think I said that in my original post.
But, some crowds are different to others.
Yeah, very true.

The crowd at W99 certainly seemed very testosterone fuelled. Add that to the already heady mix of stuff you've said it probably didn't bode well from the off.

Champ

From the wiki

Jesus Christ, how the feck do you go from enjoying music to gang rape??? How the feck are people standing around cheering that shit on??? Yeah its hot, yeah its been promoted badly, but feck off if you wanna tell me thats any kind of excuse for raping people or standing around watching it and cheering it on.
Mob mentality.

Fred Durst even said during the set that there were 'no rules out there' (as in the crowd). When there's no accountability for actions the worst tends to happen

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Mob mentality.

Fred Durst even said during the set that there were 'no rules out there' (as in the crowd). When there's no accountability for actions the worst tends to happen
utter bullshit. The balls on you for even floating that as an excuse.

decorativeed

Don't agree, otherwise every Download festival would end the same way surely?!
Download is a British festival though and that aggressive fratboy crowd just doesn't exist here like it does in the US. Most metal kids over here seem to be the brighter, more sensitive type in my experience.

I went to a few festivals in the UK in the late 90s, and hearing these festival organisers go on about how they would assemble the possible greatest lineup was laughable. Reading Festival the previous year had a far better lineup.

I don't think I remember them mentioning it in the doc, but apparently the main stages were 2 miles apart!

Champ

Download is a British festival though and that aggressive fratboy crowd just doesn't exist here like it does in the US. Most metal kids over here seem to be the brighter, more sensitive type in my experience.

I went to a few festivals in the UK in the late 90s, and hearing these festival organisers go on about how they would assemble the possible greatest lineup was laughable. Reading Festival the previous year had a far better lineup.

I don't think I remember them mentioning it in the doc, but apparently the main stages were 2 miles apart!
They were just over a mile apart.

The HBO/Sky documentary mentioned this a fair few times, imagine having to walk that far in scorching heat across baking hot tarmac. Feck that

Champ

utter bullshit. The balls on you for even floating that as an excuse.
What are you on about? :confused:

I didn't offer it as an excuse. I'm saying that's the reason why people got away with this stuff.

Norman Brownbutter

I didn't offer it as an excuse. I'm saying that's the reason why people got away with this stuff.
I didn't ask how they got away with it, I said "how do you go from enjoying music to gang rape" you replied with mob mentality. So yeah, you did offer it as an excuse. Which, as I said, is utter bullshit.

decorativeed

I didn't ask how they got away with it, I said "how do you go from enjoying music to gang rape" you replied with mob mentality. So yeah, you did offer it as an excuse. Which, as I said, is utter bullshit.
You asked them what could have caused people to go from watching a band to being part of a gang rape. They offered mob mentality as a potential reason. Then you responded that was 'utter bullshit'. If it is 'utter bullshit' , then what's your alternate suggestion?

Last edited:

Champ

No, I offered that as a reason, a direct answer to your question!

Don't ask questions if you don't want answers! :lol:

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Michael Lang comes across as so slimy, and John Scher an absolute scum bag. I don't even know why he would want to be apart of a documentary, he comes off so badly. As an aside, how regrettable are Limp Bizkit, as a part of human history?

cafecillos

Michael Lang comes across as so slimy, and John Scher an absolute scum bag. I don't even know why he would want to be apart of a documentary, he comes off so badly. As an aside, how regrettable are Limp Bizkit, as a part of human history?
Very.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I binged this yesterday. Seems like a perfect microcosm of modern society.

Lots of parallels with what's happening in Britain at the moment, in particular; platforming and promotion of agressive and hateful shit-stirrers amplifying and stoking up bad feeling, a total breakdown of services caused by outsourcing of vital utilities, price-gouging for essentials, the people in charge turning a blind eye to obvious problems and instead claiming everything is going swimmingly, and water polluted with human waste. If it keeps on along the same lines, we'll see just the same kind of response from the public.
Great insight and observation.

It’s ironic that out of the 2, pretty much everyone would prefer to live in a society that resembled the original Woodstock… yet for decades we dismissed and hated on hippies and their ideals and instead have effectively CHOSEN to live in a society that resembles the ‘99 Woodstock…

I wonder if society will ever do a u-turn and we’ll go into a more bohemian type era again? Surely these kinds of things go in cycles, right? RIGHT?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Limp Bizkit were fun. I don’t mind admitting it.
Yeah, a chubby frat dude in a proto maga cap rapping like Aaron Carter and then doing faux ‘death growls’ over generic, easily forgettable riffs.

Mixing the wackest elements of hip hop with the most boneheaded elements of metal… what’s NOT to like?

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Yeah, a chubby frat dude in a proto maga cap rapping like Aaron Carter and then doing faux ‘death growls’ over generic, easily forgettable riffs.

Mixing the wackest elements of hip hop with the most boneheaded elements of metal… what’s NOT to like?
There’s something so awfully late 90’s/early 2000 about Limp Bizkit that it makes it interesting. Almost like finding a time capsule full of Roman mosaics but it’s pictures of dog shit.

Also fred durst is million times cooler than eminem.

Zen

The organizers were unbelievably out of touch with the audience they are actually targetting when having NuMetal, at it's absurd peak, headline something that was casually ran under the 'peace and love' vibe.

Not sure you can blame Fred Durst for being.... Fred Durst. He was booked by someone.

Tarrou

forgot how much I used to hate Fred Durst as a teenager

*danny dyer voice*

TWAT

Norman Brownbutter

how do you go from enjoying music to gang rape?
Mob mentality.
utter bullshit.

No, I offered that as a reason, a direct answer to your question!
So, now we’ve established that you did in fact claim mob mentality as an excuse for gang rape and that you’ll change your answers based on how cornered you feel without any actual though. Let’s try this again. Utter bullshit. I don’t give a feck how into the mob mentality you are, normal people don’t fecking rape young girls just because someone else does. That’s fecking insane.

Mob mentality can explain a lot of things. But not that. No fecking way. You do that, you’ve got that shit in you anyway and you’ve just found an excuse. Can’t believe I’m having to explain why rapists are cnuts.

AkaAkuma

So, now we’ve established that you did in fact claim mob mentality as an excuse for gang rape and that you’ll change your answers based on how cornered you feel without any actual though. Let’s try this again. Utter bullshit. I don’t give a feck how into the mob mentality you are, normal people don’t fecking rape young girls just because someone else does. That’s fecking insane.

Mob mentality can explain a lot of things. But not that. No fecking way. You do that, you’ve got that shit in you anyway and you’ve just found an excuse. Can’t believe I’m having to explain why rapists are cnuts.
Watching the documentary would explain some of the how and whys.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
forgot how much I used to hate Fred Durst as a teenager

*danny dyer voice*

TWAT
I recall thinking he was an elite level douche bag, I can’t think of a musician from back then I hated more.

Norman Brownbutter

Watching the documentary would explain some of the how and whys.
There is no expiation for gang rape. You are a rapist, or you are inclined to be one. There is no "Well I got carried away in the moment". This would have been young women, laying on the floor, crying, screaming to get up, and a bunch of rapists crowding round waiting for their turn. Who looks at another human being in distress and thinks "yeah, Im having a piece of that!"? Ill tell you who, sick cnuts. I don't care what the conditions were, how poor the event was handled or how hot it was and how little water etc etc etc.

AkaAkuma

There is no expiation for gang rape. You are a rapist, or you are inclined to be one. There is no "Well I got carried away in the moment". This would have been young women, laying on the floor, crying, screaming to get up, and a bunch of rapists crowding round waiting for their turn. Who looks at another human being in distress and thinks "yeah, Im having a piece of that!"? Ill tell you who, sick cnuts. I don't care what the conditions were, how poor the event was handled or how hot it was and how little water etc etc etc.
Nobodies trying to justify it happening, but explaining what may have led to some sick individuals doing such a thing and how they managed to get away with doing it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

My Generation, My Way, Behind Blue Eyes, and the DMX/Method Man remix of Rollin’ are great. Loved them at the time and they’re still good now.

Champ

You are actually insane :lol:

Again, stop asking questions if you don't want direct answers.

The fact that so many of these types of people were all in a group together with minimal rules (a mob you could call them) meant that they felt they could get away with it (mentality).

Not excusing them, not justifying them, merely stating an answer to your question, which was 'how do you go from enjoying music to gang rape' or words to that effect,

Mob mentality is a reason why they did those despicable acts, they felt in a mass they could get away with it, and by and large most of them did unfortunately.

Any more questions you want answered so you can get angry about them?

Champ

My Generation, My Way, Behind Blue Eyes, and the DMX/Method Man remix of Rollin’ are great. Loved them at the time and they’re still good now.
I watched the full Limp Bizkit set from Woodstock 99 the other night, actually was a brilliant set, still sounds good today.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I quite like that 'N 2 Gether Now' song they did with Method Man, though it's basically just Fred and Meth over a DJ Premier beat, and there's a very good chance that Meth wrote Fred's verses, since they're, y'know, actually good.

Everything else I hear by them just sounds so badly dated. Though I just wasn't into nu-metal at all back then either, except Machine Head, for some reason.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
The part about finding a woman passed out with her clothes stripped off her in a van in the MIDDLE of the concert was the most disconcerting bit of television I've seen.

The whole tone of this documentary is fecked. Really really terrible effort.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The part about finding a woman passed out with her clothes stripped off her in a van in the MIDDLE of the concert was the most disconcerting bit of television I've seen.

That surely should have been the point where it got called off. Sunday went ahead because they'd have lost a ton of money if it hadn't. But it shouldn't have.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

What do you mean?

By all accounts I thought they got it spot on by putting the blame on the organisers, highlighting the reasons it should never have gone ahead, and the sorry state of how women were treated back then.

decorativeed

You are actually insane :lol:

Again, stop asking questions if you don't want direct answers.

The fact that so many of these types of people were all in a group together with minimal rules (a mob you could call them) meant that they felt they could get away with it (mentality).

Not excusing them, not justifying them, merely stating an answer to your question, which was 'how do you go from enjoying music to gang rape' or words to that effect,

Mob mentality is a reason why they did those despicable acts, they felt in a mass they could get away with it, and by and large most of them did unfortunately.

Any more questions you want answered so you can get angry about them?
That poster is responsible for some of the worst posts I've read on here, so I think your assessment is spot on. They have a bad habit of posting nonsense then dropping out of the conversation when proven wrong. Obviously, I'm not saying that mob mentality is the one correct answer on this, as we will almost certainly never know, but we saw plenty of other examples of it in the doc, so it can't be ruled out as at lease part of the issue.

decorativeed

I think they said it was a 14 year old, didn't they? Horrific.