Transgender rights discussion

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It is crazy how this issue has exploded with controversy in the past five years.
heating up in the US again, with multiple fretting articles in the liberal mainstream (NYT and atlantic). This was the reaction from a trans account i follow:

Sweet Square

He wrote a column in the Express on Sunday talking about how to promote true manhood.

Also, what the hell?
:lol:

Oh god!

“History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce.”

dark times

this insidious framing of lgbt rights being in opposition to women's is how equality dies. it may trick boomers but i'm really hopeful the future generations (continue to) see through it.
Yeah hopefully this is case, it does seem like a generational divide(Also it’s far worse in English politics than in Scotland or Ireland).

Sweet Square

Nothing to with transphobia but holy shit. “Slavic eyes” is something a German from the early 1940’s would say.

:lol::houllier:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yea, I mean because Eastern European, or any non-English speaking countries, characters never speak broken English in any other media before.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
dark times

this insidious framing of lgbt rights being in opposition to women's is how equality dies. it may trick boomers but i'm really hopeful the future generations (continue to) see through it.
What is a woman?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I've been meaning to tell you
I've got this feeling
That won't subside

I look at you and I fantasize
You're mine tonight
Now I've got you in my sights

With these slavic eyes
One look at you
And I can't disguise
I've got slavic eyes
I feel the magic between you and I

Sweet Square

I've got this feeling
That won't subside

You're mine tonight

With these slavic eyes
One look at you
And I can't disguise
I've got slavic eyes

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I've got this feeling
That won't subside

You're mine tonight

With these slavic eyes
One look at you
And I can't disguise
I've got slavic eyes

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
She might be an alleged transfobe and TERF, but if you spent more than thirty seconds watching clips online you can absorb a lot of good from her work. She certainly has the skill to teach budding writers a thing or two, as shown below in a quote from her recent work.

Nancy Nansers and the Big Hairy Man Sneaking Into Her Bathroom

As she searched through her sock drawer for something to wear on her feet, gently flipping through the socks and selecting the socks her mum gave her after she won the Quidditch Cup against German Von Hagendass, she heard the thinking sound of a man coming into the room.

"Fee fi fo fum, I lied to my GP about my gender." The big beast said.
Nancy Nansers shit herself in fear.
"Feck! I've just taken a big shit!" She said, holding the socks in her hand. "Why are you in my bedroom?"
"Because I'm legally allowed to be in here now. The liberal elite have sold their souls and made it wrong for you to tell me to leave. This horrible future that so many incredibly talented writers said would happen has happened."

His hands were hairy like a hairy man's hands. Nancy couldn't move fast enough as the giant hands reached for her socks.
"Give me your socks!" Said the creepy guy who was now free to steal women's socks thanks to all of those rainbow flag waving wokenatti silencing all of the facts and making it illegal to be a woman.
"No." She said.
"Yes." He said.
"No." She said.
"It's illegal to be a woman." He said.

*The rest of the pages are just doodles of J.K. Rowling dressed as Jesus, being sacrificed on a firepit made from rolls of The Guardian*

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I didn’t even realise there was a stereotype about Slavic eyes. No idea what they are supposed to look like.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
She might be an alleged transfobe and TERF, but if you spent more than thirty seconds watching clips online you can absorb a lot of good from her work. She certainly has the skill to teach budding writers a thing or two, as shown below in a quote from her recent work.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
heating up in the US again, with multiple fretting articles in the liberal mainstream (NYT and atlantic). This was the reaction from a trans account i follow:

Both WaPo and NYT comment sections prove that these kind of issues are a massive losing factor for Democrats. DeSantis with any kind of focus on "parental rights" will wipe the floor with any Democratic nominee for enough % of voters to make a difference. I read the NYT article about parents feeling they have right to hear from teachers if their child is transitioning in any sense and don't believe it was transphobic. But some trans-activists believe any thing is transphobic if it strays aways from mantra of supporting anyone who wants to explore trans identity without any reservations.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
But some trans-activists believe any thing is transphobic if it strays aways from mantra of supporting anyone who wants to explore trans identity without any reservations.
The person I''m screenshotting is not an activist. she is a trans woman who is afraid her parents are going to cut her off precisely because they are the NYT readers this is being directed at.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Both WaPo and NYT comment sections prove that these kind of issues are a massive losing factor for Democrats. DeSantis with any kind of focus on "parental rights" will wipe the floor with any Democratic nominee for enough % of voters to make a difference.
They went all-in on trans issues in the midterms and it flopped. Inflation and crime worked better.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I read the NYT article about parents feeling they have right to hear from teachers if their child is transitioning in any sense and don't believe it was transphobic.
It's paywalled, but these are some pretty strong points from those dreaded activists

I also saw a tweet about the entire article being based off an anti-trans facebook group, but might be mixing it up with something else.

crappycraperson

Scout
It's paywalled, but these are some pretty strong points from those dreaded activists

I also saw a tweet about the entire article being based off an anti-trans facebook group, but might be mixing it up with something else.
DMed non paywalled link from my sub

crappycraperson

Scout
Article IIRC acknowledges that parents are part of this kind of transphobic group but also points that there is no other space for them to discuss any reservation they might have about their child wanting to transition since they would be instantly labelled transphobic at any hint of opposition.

crappycraperson

Scout
They went all-in on trans issues in the midterms and it flopped. Inflation and crime worked better.
Fair point. In places like SF and VA in state or local elections it provided to be pivotal factor. In any case it is not going to hurt any republican candidate with respect to independent voters as any opposition to issue like abortion might. Majority of US populace is still conservative when it comes to trans transition for teens.

crappycraperson

Scout
IMO it would be false equivalency to compare homosexuality with trans identity since latter has medical implications which former does not. I have seen people make similar comparisons by saying they would not want teachers snitch to parents about students not wearing religious symbols like Hijab or disclose them being gay. But a student progressing towards being trans ultimately will have some medical implications that will require participation from parents so it is an entirely different issue. You can not on one hand say trans youth are at heightened risk and then on the other compare it to all kinds of different situations others might face in schools. Yes, a part of that risk is from opposition from parents but in that case the only solution is to involve state social services not to hide it from parents.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Becoming so anti trans that you inadvertently argue that jeffrey dahmer should have been moved to a female prison, in the name of men rights.

Tibs

So, the rapist, a man at the time of the rapes but now says they’re a woman, won’t go to a women’s prison, Nicola Sturgeon says.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Where do women who rape other women or men who rape other men go?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Where do women who rape other women or men who rape other men go?
Kind of a topical question for this thread because ordinarily women can't rape and by UK law rape requires a penis. A trans woman who hasn't transitioned yet is the exception.

stepic

Where common sense and consistency collide head on in this issue.
like in any other legal case, you have to gauge the merit on a case by case basis (and we are talking tiny numbers here), so there should be an assessment on whether someone may be taking advantage of the laws for their own benefit.

however there shouldn't be a blanket rule where all trans women go to a men's jail, this (should be) fairly clear. not only for moral grounds, but the risks for those trans women are extortionate.

NotThatSoph

TERF Island strikes again.

Often when trans issues come up there's talk about how the culture war is getting imported from the US, and while that's not necessarily wrong UK's nickname is pretty well earned.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Kind of a topical question for this thread because ordinarily women can't rape and by UK law rape requires a penis. A trans woman who hasn't transitioned yet is the exception.
Wait. Women can’t be sentenced for rape in the UK? Can women rape other women by UK law?