Transgender rights discussion

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Literally using the Fox News defence :drool:

As usual there is common ground underneath artificial left-right divides...

e - a bonus, the guy doing this defence is the NYT's " Health & science reporter"

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thats not really a regret rate. Just the number that actually requested reversal.
That's not really a requested reversal rate. Just the combined number that actually requested reversal or transitioned back to their sex assigned at birth.

hobbers

Plastic surgeons finding plastic surgery to have a low reversal request rate and somewhat misrepresent the findings in a plastic surgery journal shocker.

hobbers

Is that your professional opinion after reading the paper, doctor?
That's my scientific editorial opinion, because they use the word regret in the title and summary despite measuring something else.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
not sure what your point is. Anyway the Tweet Author should do a better job at reporting factual information rather than manipulating things I think!
Just helping you with correcting things.

NotThatSoph

The Useful Idiots Fueling the Right-Wing Transphobia Panic

This is about the article I Thought I Was Saving Trans Kids. Now I’m Blowing the Whistle, published by Bari Weiss's new project that is also publishing Rowling's new podcast PR campaign "The Witch Trials of J.K. Rowling".

It's a tried and true recepie: a pro trans person wants to help, realises that something is very, very wrong, and now has to let people know. She claimed to have witnessed a bunch of ruined lifes, where insecure and confused kids come in and practically get bombarded with blockers and hormones, often with serious side effects. This made quite a stir, of course in right wing circles but also among the libs and centrists. The American Prospect specifically mention Jonathan Chait and Matthew Yglesias as examples of high profile people talking about it, but it was all over.

It was all made up.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

This is about the article I Thought I Was Saving Trans Kids. Now I’m Blowing the Whistle, published by Bari Weiss's new project that is also publishing Rowling's new podcast PR campaign "The Witch Trials of J.K. Rowling".

It's a tried and true recepie: a pro trans person wants to help, realises that something is very, very wrong, and now has to let people know. She claimed to have witnessed a bunch of ruined lifes, where insecure and confused kids come in and practically get bombarded with blockers and hormones, often with serious side effects. This made quite a stir, of course in right wing circles but also among the libs and centrists. The American Prospect specifically mention Jonathan Chait and Matthew Yglesias as examples of high profile people talking about it, but it was all over.

It was all made up.
Is it always made up?

NotThatSoph

Is it always made up?
Yes, all stories like hers are made up. All medications have a risk of side-effects, but she lied about the kind and prevalence, and she lied about the process of how medication is prescribed.

She talked about how kids come in there believing they're a mushroom and gets put on pills right away.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It was all made up.
By “it was all made up” you actually mean a different journalist tracked down a few people who disagreed with the version of events provided by the author (who is married to a trans man) of the original article? (A version of events they also provided in a sworn affidavit)

Because that’s not the usual definition of “all made up”.

Last edited:

shamans

Yes, all stories like hers are made up. All medications have a risk of side-effects, but she lied about the kind and prevalence, and she lied about the process of how medication is prescribed.

She talked about how kids come in there believing they're a mushroom and gets put on pills right away.
My question specifically was if such stories are always made up or not.

shamans

What such stories?
The sort you mentioned: "She claimed to have witnessed a bunch of ruined lifes, where insecure and confused kids come in and practically get bombarded with blockers and hormones, often with serious side effects"

This is a pretty common theme isn't it? Some documentary or video series on the same issues.

NotThatSoph

The sort you mentioned: "She claimed to have witnessed a bunch of ruined lifes, where insecure and confused kids come in and practically get bombarded with blockers and hormones, often with serious side effects"

This is a pretty common theme isn't it? Some documentary or video series on the same issues.
Yes, you don't get bombarded with blockers or hormone therapy, it's a long process, and while serious side effects can happen they are rare.

shamans

Yes, you don't get bombarded with blockers or hormone therapy, it's a long process, and while serious side effects can happen they are rare.
Well I don’t know. Can’t claim to have researched the background of every story but there’s definitely some cases that sound wrong to me. It’s this weird grey area for me especially when it comes to kids who have gender dysmorphia possibly because I don’t fully understand this yet.

If you think none of those stories are true it makes sense. My point was if just one person was lying who cares the broader issue matters

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
If you think none of those stories are true it makes sense. My point was if just one person was lying who cares the broader issue matters
Is there a broader issue? You seem convinced there is. Pretending that conversion medications are given to kids like candies is one of the biggest right wing smokescreen.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
By “it was all made up” you actually mean a different journalist tracked down a few people who disagreed with the version of events provided by the author (who is married to a trans man) of the original article? (A version of events they also provided in a sworn affidavit)

Because that’s not the usual definition of “all made up”.
That one witness claims that patients were given hormones immediately after arrival, and because they were identifying as rocks and "helicopters" (you are online enough to know what "identifying as helicopters" means in this context).

The parents (interviewed by 4 different publications independently) say that there was a policy of a multiple-month delay before any treatment was started. Nobody mentions rocksor helicopters, including parents who didn't like the clinic, but acknowledged that their kids were happier.

Those portray two diametrically opposed realities.

The presence of "helicopter" in one story makes me think it has the credibility of a Bluemoon "rag mate", but it does have a positive writeup from chief centrist Jonathan Chait of NY Mag :)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Well I don’t know. Can’t claim to have researched the background of every story but there’s definitely some cases that sound wrong to me. It’s this weird grey area for me especially when it comes to kids who have gender dysmorphia possibly because I don’t fully understand this yet.

I struggled with this initially when one of my kids was going through "the change" as we called it, because it was all alien to us. Even when their biogical dad was being a cnut about it and his parents, who they see often - a heavily Christian group of mental feckwits who wouldn't understand the words of Jesus if they lamped over the head with with - decided to disown my kid, and their own mum was being a bit forceful towards them about it , I just said "feck it, you do you, I'll love you until the end of time mate."

I adore my kids but obviously there's always that little part of you that thinks "maybe it's a trend, like previous eras were teenagers decide they're goths or neds depending on what their friends do?" But then there's also the part of you that says "feck off, my kids know what they're doing, if this is who they are then that's the end of the discussion" and another part that says "feck off, let them figure it out of their own either way".

In every case - it genuinely doesn't matter what I think. It isn't my life. It's theirs. And they have the right to choose, and we have a duty to listen and try to understand it as much as we can. If we fall short then keep trying to understand it.

NotThatSoph

I struggled with this initially when one of my kids was going through "the change" as we called it, because it was all alien to us. Even when their biogical dad was being a cnut about it and his parents, who they see often - a heavily Christian group of mental feckwits who wouldn't understand the words of Jesus if they lamped over the head with with - decided to disown my kid, and their own mum was being a bit forceful towards them about it , I just said "feck it, you do you, I'll love you until the end of time mate."

I adore my kids but obviously there's always that little part of you that thinks "maybe it's a trend, like previous eras were teenagers decide they're goths or neds depending on what their friends do?" But then there's also the part of you that says "feck off, my kids know what they're doing, if this is who they are then that's the end of the discussion" and another part that says "feck off, let them figure it out of their own either way".

In every case - it genuinely doesn't matter what I think. It isn't my life. It's theirs. And they have the right to choose, and we have a duty to listen and try to understand it as much as we can. If we fall short then keep trying to understand it.
You sound great. In case this sounds sarcastic it's very much not.

In general, I wouldn't blame parents for being uncertain or confused, even critical as long as they don't impact the kids negatively. It's a very personal subject, it's complicated, and it's relatively new as something treated seriously both medically and s a society.

The liars making up stories about helicopters, though, Jesus Christ, feck right off. It's hard to not despise the people taking those obvious lies seriously, as well, but for some it's a combination of ignorance and just not caring, and depending on the distribution I guess it could be worse.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That one witness claims that patients were given hormones immediately after arrival, and because they were identifying as rocks and "helicopters" (you are online enough to know what "identifying as helicopters" means in this context).

The parents (interviewed by 4 different publications independently) say that there was a policy of a multiple-month delay before any treatment was started. Nobody mentions rocksor helicopters, including parents who didn't like the clinic, but acknowledged that their kids were happier.

Those portray two diametrically opposed realities.

The presence of "helicopter" in one story makes me think it has the credibility of a Bluemoon "rag mate", but it does have a positive writeup from chief centrist Jonathan Chait of NY Mag :)
This is the article that was accused of being “all made up” in the post I responded to. Not one mention of helicopters or rocks. So it does seem that something really might have been “all made up”? Fair point.

Last edited:

shamans

Thanks for the context and good on you for providing your child with the most important and powerful tool — unconditional love. Even when it can be confusing.

My thoughts would be that kids don’t always really know what they want do they? I think of myself when I was 15 or even 17 and I absolutely cringe at my ideas of life or what I thought I was but then I didn’t have confusion over my gender or sexuality so I really can’t comment to that either.

I have never been in this situation with a friend or family member so as I said initially I simply don’t know enough. It’s difficult for me to understand and when I do read or see certain stories of kids who had hormonal changes to their gender only to regret it later I find it plausible only because of my own understanding of how it was when I was a kid. They could all be lies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Literally cannot tell if this is satire or not. It could be satire. But it could also be genuine. But it could also be satire? But...
using this one principle to understand all US politics

NotThatSoph

Thanks for the context and good on you for providing your child with the most important and powerful tool — unconditional love. Even when it can be confusing.

My thoughts would be that kids don’t always really know what they want do they? I think of myself when I was 15 or even 17 and I absolutely cringe at my ideas of life or what I thought I was but then I didn’t have confusion over my gender or sexuality so I really can’t comment to that either.

I have never been in this situation with a friend or family member so as I said initially I simply don’t know enough. It’s difficult for me to understand and when I do read or see certain stories of kids who had hormonal changes to their gender only to regret it later I find it plausible only because of my own understanding of how it was when I was a kid. They could all be lies.
There are some real stories about people having regrets later, what I said are lies are the stories about how quickly and uncritically they are put on hormones.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Bravo, brother. If only more people in key positions of authority had your same view...

nimic

something nice
Scout

You're a legend Pidgey.