Transgender rights discussion

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Is this kind of rethoric making a comeback in American politics or did it never go away?
It never went away, but was said far, far less than now. These Babble thumper are very emboldened to spread the word of their true god, all else be damned.

The real crappy thing is many states have legislatures that are deep red & there really can’t be changes for at least two generations or more. This is mainly where the emboldened nature comes from.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
That one witness claims that patients were given hormones immediately after arrival, and because they were identifying as rocks and "helicopters" (you are online enough to know what "identifying as helicopters" means in this context).
What does it mean? Genuinely as I have no idea what the hidden context is.

It never went away, but was said far, far less than now. These Babble thumper are very emboldened to spread the word of their true god, all else be damned.

The real crappy thing is many states have legislatures that are deep red & there really can’t be changes for at least two generations or more. This is mainly where the emboldened nature comes from.
Alright. It's one of those things I find a bit hard to grasp. I'm more than used to right wingers/conservatives, but over here it doesn't really take on the religious form in any meaningful way.

NotThatSoph

The Useful Idiots Fueling the Right-Wing Transphobia Panic

This is about the article I Thought I Was Saving Trans Kids. Now I’m Blowing the Whistle, published by Bari Weiss's new project that is also publishing Rowling's new podcast PR campaign "The Witch Trials of J.K. Rowling".

It's a tried and true recepie: a pro trans person wants to help, realises that something is very, very wrong, and now has to let people know. She claimed to have witnessed a bunch of ruined lifes, where insecure and confused kids come in and practically get bombarded with blockers and hormones, often with serious side effects. This made quite a stir, of course in right wing circles but also among the libs and centrists. The American Prospect specifically mention Jonathan Chait and Matthew Yglesias as examples of high profile people talking about it, but it was all over.

It was all made up.
More on this.

Parents push back on allegations against St. Louis transgender center. ‘I’m baffled.’

The Post-Dispatch has interviewed around 20 parents of kids that have used the clinic, and none of them confirm Reed's allegations. Reed has released a statement about this, saying that it's not surprising that those with negative experiences haven't come forward because privacy, but 1) several people are anonymous, which of course also would be an option for them, and 2) one of the parents is critical of the clinic and the treatment, while still disputing Reed's claims.

Chait is still holding strong on Twitter, because one of the parents interviewed is an activist.

rumac

He said more bathrooms are needed so everyone is happy, seems fair enough to me.
The law that he is trying to pass says people need to use the bathroom of their biological gender. The question was about the practicalities of that law.
The law is what he is actually doing, waffling about how glad he is that the young man came with him father and a vague desire for there to be more bathrooms is just avoiding the question

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The law that he is trying to pass says people need to use the bathroom of their biological gender. The question was about the practicalities of that law.
The law is what he is actually doing, waffling about how glad he is that the young man came with him father and a vague desire for there to be more bathrooms is just avoiding the question
Yeah, so he was asking if, as is currently required, he is supposed to use the bathroom of his biological gender (female) whether the girls in that female bathroom would be happy if he walked in - i.e this law is going to cause problems.

His answer was we need more gender neutral bathrooms so that both parties are happy. I think he answered the question in a way that kept everyone happy. In reality more bathrooms is the only solution that pleases everyone isn’t it?

rumac

Yeah, so he was asking if, as is currently required, he is supposed to use the bathroom of his biological gender (female) whether the girls in that female bathroom would be happy if he walked in - i.e this law is going to cause problems.

His answer was we need more gender neutral bathrooms so that both parties are happy. I think he answered the question in a way that kept everyone happy. In reality more bathrooms is the only solution that pleases everyone isn’t it?
OK. But those bathrooms don't yet exist. The law does or is about to. Which bathroom is this young man meant to use in the meantime? That's the question, which he didn't answer.

2 man midfield

OK. But those bathrooms don't yet exist. The law does or is about to. Which bathroom is this young man meant to use in the meantime? That's the question, which he didn't answer.
The female one I’d imagine since that’s the law he’s apparently about to pass. He did dodge half the question though in terms of whether or not the other girls would be happy with that, but went on to say that we need more gender neutral bathrooms. It’s also a question without an easy answer as you’re always going to be pissing somebody off.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The female one I’d imagine since that’s the law he’s apparently about to pass. He did dodge half the question though in terms of whether or not the other girls would be happy with that, but went on to say that we need more gender neutral bathrooms. It’s also a question without an easy answer as you’re always going to be pissing somebody off.
I dunno, it seems pretty easy to me, he's a transgender man, he should go the men's bathroom. Is there any downside to that I'm missing?

2 man midfield

I dunno, it seems pretty easy to me, he's a transgender man, he should go the men's bathroom. Is there any downside to that I'm missing?
Depends what opposition there is to that I guess. If there’s massive outcry about it, do you just press on and say feck the rest of you? Or as a politician do you address their concerns, especially if they’re the majority. You’re probably going to try and find a solution that keeps everybody happy.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Depends what opposition there is to that I guess. If there’s massive outcry about it, do you just press on and say feck the rest of you? Or as a politician do you address their concerns, especially if they’re the majority. You’re probably going to try and find a solution that keeps everybody happy.
When it comes to basic rights? Sure, just press on.

Do you personally see any downside in allowing transgender men using male bathrooms? I've never met any men who would give two fecks about it.

2 man midfield

When it comes to basic rights? Sure, just press on.

Do you personally see any downside in allowing transgender men using male bathrooms? I've never met any men who would give two fecks about it.
I don’t, but do you infringe on the rights of others in that bathroom if they do object? I guess you’d have to decide how much you care about being on the right side of history versus siding with the majority today. It’s easy to see why a politician would see having more bathrooms and trying to appease everyone as the way forward.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t, but do you infringe on the rights of others in that bathroom if they do object? I guess you’d have to decide how much you care about being on the right side of history versus siding with the majority today. It’s easy to see why a politician would see having more bathrooms and trying to appease everyone as the way forward.
What rights, if you don't mind me asking? When I enter a bathroom in a shopping center, for example, the only thing I want is to take care of my business as quickly as possible without anyone bothering me. I assume most people are like this. If the man in the video did exactly that in a male bathroom, what rights of the other men there would be infringed?

2 man midfield

What rights, if you don't mind me asking? When I enter a bathroom in a shopping center, for example, the only thing I want is to take care of my business as quickly as possible without anyone bothering me. I assume most people are like this. If the man in the video did exactly that in a male bathroom, what rights of the other men there would be infringed?
Not sure, I don’t subscribe to their line of thinking so it’s hard to say. You’d imagine they feel like they’re having something infringed upon if they feel that strongly about it though.

stepic

Not sure, I don’t subscribe to their line of thinking so it’s hard to say. You’d imagine they feel like they’re having something infringed upon if they feel that strongly about it though.
no, they usually just tend to be transphobic.

trans people have been using the toilets of the gender they identify with since forever. No one cared until terfs started spouting their hatred in the last 5-10 years. No one cares because it doesn’t effect anyone, they’re a place to piss and shit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Would a transman want to go to a women’s college though? Isn’t that the opposite of where they would like to go ?
Why nonbinary as well? I thought nonbinary was the person does not associate with either gender at any given time?
The article is quite confusing. Looks as though trans women have already been allowed in for years. So the change is to allow trans men and non binary. But looks as though cis men might not be allowed in. So their policy seems to imply that trans men are not men. Not sure that’s a message they want to be giving out.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The article is quite confusing. Looks as though trans women have already been allowed in for years. So the change is to allow trans men and non binary. But looks as though cis men might not be allowed in. So their policy seems to imply that trans men are not men. Not sure that’s a message they want to be giving out.
I think in the efforts to be politically correct, institutions are just muddying the waters...but in their defence, part of the logic behind this self-identity politics is (maybe intentionally) muddied anyway.

NotThatSoph

Love Dawkins, nice to see him pointing out the obvious.
This actually made me curious.

The discussion prompt is that some people/scientists want to "degender or neutralize language". Morgan says that they're doing this by pretending that bioligy doesn't exist, and while agreeing Dawkins says that there are two sexes. Who are they talking about? Who says that?

Dawkins then says that it is bullying, and that we've seen Kathleen Stock and J.K. Rowling get bullied. What does that have to do with chromosomes or gametes? Take Kathleen Stock: she is, or at least was, a trustee of the LGB Alliance and she opposes banning of conversion therapy because she wants it used on trans people. What does that have to do with sex?

He then says that sex is biological, and that he doesn't want to talk about gender. However, they go straight to his old tweet about Rachel Dolezal, and where he says that some men identify as women, some women identify as men, and compares that with Dolezal. Do these trans people identify as having different chromosomes than they have in reality? If not, what on earth is he talking about?

None of these are rhetorical questions, I'm hoping for an answer because you found what he said obvious while I didn't see the relevance at all.