Transfer Anti-Wishlist Options

jesperjaap

Players you don't want this Summer

Alderweireld
Douglas Costa
Gareth Bale
Coutinho
Would pretty much go with these along with some of the older players I dont see us being interested in now anyway such as Kroos, Perisic. Would also add Bruno Fernandes

Canagel

Bale
Coutinho
William
Perisic
Maguire
Toby

Last edited:

Devil may care

Wan-Bissaka
Gareth Bale
Alderweireld
Manolas
Douglas Costa
Lozano
Pepe
Leon Bailey
Ndidi
Dacoure

Robertd0803

James Rodriguez- has he played well since the 2014 world cup
Not sure he has been seen since the 2014 World Cup.

2 seasons ago Bale would still have been a dream signing at that point but given his record and ours with the likes of Sanchez Id be very sceptical as to how him moving here would turn out.

RedNed77

I don't know why people are ruling out older players given the number of young players Ole is currently trying to integrate into the team. We actually need some experience in the team. Whilst its great for the future to have a team full of kids, it'd be nice to be challenging now/next season rather than waiting 3 years for the young-uns to develop into the finished article. I'm not saying we should drop in 5 geriatrics but a couple of more experienced players in midfield/defence would be handy.

Bale/Coutinho/Bayern/Madrid cast offs would be my no-no's though.

Devil may care

I don't know why people are ruling out older players given the number of young players Ole is currently trying to integrate into the team. We actually need some experience in the team. Whilst its great for the future to have a team full of kids, it'd be nice to be challenging now/next season rather than waiting 3 years for the young-uns to develop into the finished article. I'm not saying we should drop in 5 geriatrics but a couple of more experienced players in midfield/defence would be handy.

Lukaku and Rashford have both played in a World cup semi, our starting midfield are all very experienced as is Fred and so are Smalling, Young and De Gea, I also wouldn't count Shaw and Lindelof as youngsters experience-wise, they've both played a lot of top level football, the bulk of our regular starting 11 have plenty of miles under their belts even if they aren't old in years.

Siorac

Doesn't have to be kids but players approaching their prime: 24/25 year olds.

The likes of Falcao, Schweinsteiger or Sanchez should have taught us a lesson by now.

Revan

Assumptionman
Bale and Coutinho. Can see Woody being tempted to go for them.

RedNed77

Lukaku and Rashford have both played in a World cup semi, our starting midfield are all very experienced as is Fred and so are Smalling, Young and De Gea, I also wouldn't count Shaw and Lindelof as youngsters experience-wise, they've both played a lot of top level football, the bulk of our regular starting 11 have plenty of miles under their belts even if they aren't old in years.
Lukaku is not first pick anymore, thats Rashford. Fred is not a first choice, McTominay & Pereira are seemingly preferred over him. Young is in the frame to be replaced by Dalot or another young wonderkid. Lindelof has 2-3 years top flight football experience, Shaw something similar. Based on what i've seen from Ole the only "experienced" players we will be left with in an expected starting 11 if we strengthen as anticipated will be DDG, Matic/Herrera, Pogba. There is very little experience in our team and that wont be helped by filling all 4 positions with up and coming 18/19 years olds.

I'm not saying you wont win anything with kids, but just think we should be looking to add a bit of experience to the team and transition the youth

Projected first 11 if the caf got what it wants

DDG
AWB - Lindelof - De Ligt - Shaw
N'Dombele
Herrera - Pogba
Sancho Rashford Martial

That is not a side flush with experience.

Negan

Bale - Too injury prone and getting old. Maybe a year or two ago.

Coutinho - Doesn’t fit the formation and would have to be played at LW which would hurt Martial’s development. This would literally only be a good thing because it would upset the Scousers. After that wears off, we’re stuck with another Sanchez.

Maguire - Not a big improvement on Smalling/Jones.

Icardi - Don’t like the guy and don’t think he would be good here. I want to keep Rashford and Lukaku instead.

James - See Coutinho.

Alderweireld - Last summer I was all for it. Since then, Koulibaly has turned it up a level. He is an absolute priority for me and if we miss out on him purely because we wanted to save cash and get an aging Toby on a free, I’ll be livid. If we sign BOTH, I’ll have no issue with it though.

Basically any RW that isn’t Sancho. I’ll accept Zaha or Lozano. But only if Sancho doesn’t want the move himself.

Devil may care

Lukaku is not first pick anymore, thats Rashford. Fred is not a first choice, McTominay & Pereira are seemingly preferred over him. Young is in the frame to be replaced by Dalot or another young wonderkid. Lindelof has 2-3 years top flight football experience, Shaw something similar. Based on what i've seen from Ole the only "experienced" players we will be left with in an expected starting 11 if we strengthen as anticipated will be DDG, Matic/Herrera, Pogba. There is very little experience in our team and that wont be helped by filling all 4 positions with up and coming 18/19 years olds.

I'm not saying you wont win anything with kids, but just think we should be looking to add a bit of experience to the team and transition the youth

Projected first 11 if the caf got what it wants

DDG
AWB - Lindelof - De Ligt - Shaw
N'Dombele
Herrera - Pogba
Sancho Rashford Martial

That is not a side flush with experience.
I never said Fred was first choice but that means we have experience on the bench to add to the 3 starters that are experienced, and Lukaku is starting every game right now as Ole is playing the diamond which suits the fact none of our strikers can hold the ball up, something that is important if you use a front 3, so Lukaku has every chance of starting a lot next season if he scores as he'll be competing with Rashford and Martial for the front 2 spots. We probably aren't going to do anything regarding Matic and midfield I fear so the central engine room, CB partnership and keeper have plenty of experience, that's the spine. I mean I think anyone expecting us to challenge next season is getting ahead of themselves, it took Klopp time to make his Liverpool side a genuine challenger, Ole is going to need the same IMO.

Wallez

I would be extremely disappointed if we bring in Harry Maguire for some stupid fee as a solution to our CB problems. He is just a bigger and less injury prone version of Phil Jones, and I would argue that Smalling is a better defender than him. A bang average CB that is massively overpriced due to his nationality, that thrives as a big fish in a small pond where he can focus solely on his defensive duties. Both Smalling and Jones would look immense for any mid-table PL team with a low defensive line, and I think Maguire would get the same kind of stick as those two if he is brought to Manchester.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Rabiot: very tempting on a Bosman and would be a decent signing under Fergie, not sure the club's current organisation is robust enough to properly handle him, though — the potential for headaches probably outweighs his ability.
  • Kroos: most gifted German midfielder of the last 20 years with Gündogan but he doesn't have the hardy mentality of someone like Schweinsteiger, and leaving Madrid after winning multiple European Cups might lower his motivation even further, especially considering he's also won a World Cup ad a bunch of titles at Bayern. To add, he's another player who's not the best fit with Pogba unless the third midfielder has peak Vidal/Kanté level workrate.
  • Wan-Bissaka: Dalot is an elite fullback prospect and could develop into the type of 10+ assist player we've lacked in that position, no need to sign someone of a similar age profile.
  • Maguire: worse pure defender than Smalling and bit clunky, and not astute enough in possession to offset those drawbacks.
  • Coutinho: too much of a selfish maverick at times, and his decision-making is suspect — don't think he will be a good fit with Pogba either.
Wan-Bissaka is the sort of player we should be after. Surprised he's mentioned a lot.
For me there are 2 inter-linked issues with Wan-Bissaka (who is a good player, just not someone we need, IMO). First has been outlined already, sort of: we have Dalot, who's a very gifted player at the position from an offensive sense and has a rare knack for delivering sumptuous deliveries into the box, but somewhat inexperienced — he's not going to gain the experience needed to hit higher levels if you sign someone who is only 2 years older and will act as an impediment. Second: most elite clubs these days has at least one fullback that is a consistent threat in attack and can hit a peak of 10+ assists (think along the lines of Marcelo, Alba, Carvajal, Kimmich) and a potential combo of Shaw and Wan-Bissaka would not be a step in the right direction in that regard. Dalot, on the other hand, is definitely someone who can reach those heights if he's developed properly and needs a patient approach — too much is made of his lack of elite defensive awareness when top modern fullbacks improve in that regard only with age/maturity — and he's actually further along in his development than the likes of Cancelo (excelling at Juventus and arguably a Top 3 rightback in club football), Semedo (doing quite well at Barcelona), Pereira (one of the better Premier League signings of the season) at 19.

croadyman

I have nothing against Alderweireld for £25m because means we can spend big on CM and RW

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
  • Rabiot: very tempting on a Bosman and would be a decent signing under Fergie, not sure the club's current organisation is robust enough to properly handle him, though — the potential for headaches probably outweighs his ability.
  • Kroos: most gifted German midfielder of the last 20 years with Gündogan but he doesn't have the hardy mentality of someone like Schweinsteiger, and leaving Madrid after winning multiple European Cups might lower his motivation even further, especially considering he's also won a World Cup ad a bunch of titles at Bayern. To add, he's another player who's not the best fit with Pogba unless the third midfielder has peak Vidal/Kanté level workrate.
  • Wan-Bissaka: Dalot is an elite fullback prospect and could develop into the type of 10+ assist player we've lacked in that position, no need to sign someone of a similar age profile.
  • Maguire: worse pure defender than Smalling and bit clunky, and not astute enough in possession to offset those drawbacks.
  • Coutinho: too much of a selfish maverick at times, and his decision-making is suspect — don't think he will be a good fit with Pogba either.
For me there are 2 inter-linked issues with Wan-Bissaka (who is a good player, just not someone we need, IMO). First has been outlined already, sort of: we have Dalot, who's a very gifted player at the position from an offensive sense and has a rare knack for delivering sumptuous deliveries into the box, but somewhat inexperienced — he's not going to gain the experience needed to hit higher levels if you sign someone who is only 2 years older and will act as an impediment. Second: most elite clubs these days has at least one fullback that is a consistent threat in attack and can hit a peak of 10+ assists (think along the lines of Marcelo, Alba, Carvajal, Kimmich) and a potential combo of Shaw and Wan-Bissaka would not be a step in the right direction in that regard. Dalot, on the other hand, is definitely someone who can reach those heights if he's developed properly and needs a patient approach — too much is made of his lack of elite defensive awareness when top modern fullbacks improve in that regard only with age/maturity — and he's actually further along in his development than the likes of Cancelo (excelling at Juventus and arguably a Top 3 rightback in club football), Semedo (doing quite well at Barcelona), Pereira (one of the better Premier League signings of the season) at 19.
I completely see your point and agree on Dalot. But where I differ is that I believe we can have both. We are competing with teams like City who think nothing of spending 150m on full backs in one window. They also have Zinchenko who looks a player.

There are games that would be more suited to AWB where we need to be solid at the back and games where we need to be adventurous and Dalot could play. Also Dalot is more trusted at RW currently and who knows, that may turn out to be his position! We also need injury cover at right and left back so extra fullbacks would be useful. If things don't work out with either Dalot or AWB, they are both young enough to sell on at profit.

dangler

Coutinho is still a huge improvement over anything we have at the moment and is PL proven and have big marketing and resale value. Wouldn't say go all in for him but being on anti-wishlist is a bit much, no?

I would put Neymar in the same category. He's an Ahole but can win games on his own to the point where it outweighs how often he loses possession. Would also fit the Pogba clown fiesta, we would only need Super Mario for full squad.

RedNed77

I never said Fred was first choice but that means we have experience on the bench to add to the 3 starters that are experienced, and Lukaku is starting every game right now as Ole is playing the diamond which suits the fact none of our strikers can hold the ball up, something that is important if you use a front 3, so Lukaku has every chance of starting a lot next season if he scores as he'll be competing with Rashford and Martial for the front 2 spots. We probably aren't going to do anything regarding Matic and midfield I fear so the central engine room, CB partnership and keeper have plenty of experience, that's the spine. I mean I think anyone expecting us to challenge next season is getting ahead of themselves, it took Klopp time to make his Liverpool side a genuine challenger, Ole is going to need the same IMO.
You make a fair point about the squad having some experience but, with regards to the diamond, I think we're only really playing that system due to Martial & Lingard being out. As soon as they're back I think we'll revert to 433 and whilst I wouldn't expect us to win the league next year, given how we've performed since Ole arrived and with the right reinforcements being brought in, there's no reason to think we shouldn't be challenging more seriously next year. I personally believe adding a couple of 30ish players like Alderweireld and somebody like a Rakitic wouldn't be a bad way to go and would put us in with a serious shout for next year rather than us starting a 5 year rebuild with kids every summer.

Devil may care

You make a fair point about the squad having some experience but, with regards to the diamond, I think we're only really playing that system due to Martial & Lingard being out. As soon as they're back I think we'll revert to 433 and whilst I wouldn't expect us to win the league next year, given how we've performed since Ole arrived and with the right reinforcements being brought in, there's no reason to think we shouldn't be challenging more seriously next year. I personally believe adding a couple of 30ish players like Alderweireld and somebody like a Rakitic wouldn't be a bad way to go and would put us in with a serious shout for next year rather than us starting a 5 year rebuild with kids every summer.
Even before they were injured Ole was leaning towards the diamond as Lingard is much better in that false 9 than on the RW, the diamond builds towards the players we have IMO. Rakitic doesn't have the legs for the PL now IMO and Alderweireld is also past his best, he's not got the pace or aerial game to compliment Lindelof, he'd be in competition with him to partner Smalling.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Wan Bissaka
Rabiot
Maguire

ghagua

Coutinho and Bale. Bale would have been a no brainer if he was not injured so much, but the transfer fee and wages it will cost to sign him just does not add up. Plus don't want to give Madrid or Barcelona funds for their rejects in order to strengthen their teams.

Lee Cattermole.

But seriously Bale would likely be the one for me.Talented player no doubt but with his fee,wage,age and his ridiculous injury record signing him would be a no brainer a absolutely daft move to make.

Unsure about Rabiot. His talent is evidently clear and we are in desperate need for more central quality but people do seem to have concerns/issues with his attitude.Either he's awfully misjudged in that respect and he just wants first team assurances or he really is a fellow not to inquire about.

Last edited:

IrishMcD

Maguire, massively overrated by British media. Some supporters bought into the hype last summer. Never was, and never will be good enough for an elite club. Would be an awful signing. Especially for the price quoted by different outlets

passing-wind

Wan bissaka is one of the best fullbacks in the league at 21. He's held his own against world class opposition when Palace have an absolutely rubbish defence, and is solid defensively the thing about development is its much easier to coach attacking attributes than it is to get a player to improve defensively.

You can literally drill a player an attacking routine when they are in specific positions (we are literally witnessing with Pep and Sterling), defending is mostly instinctive so it's natural decision making, a reason why Marcelo for example has never been competent when tracking back.

Everything Dalot has shown to me thus far is thriving on the flanks / wing back position. Unfortunately we don't play with a back 3 so that's not an option, it's also rare even since Sir Alex that we allow both fullbacks to go forward in unison, we would need a central midfield with more legs because we would be torn apart on a counter.

For everyone saying that Dalot can miraculously improve defensively with age why is it suggested the same can't happen with Wan Bissaka on the attacking side...

Reactions: Ødegaard

Welbeckham

I still don’t know what people see in Dalot that should stop us from signing Wan Bissaka. Wan Bissaka is a brilliant defender, and I don’t think Dalot looks nearly as good offensively as people here seem to think. Plus, if one of those two is gonna be good enough, he has to be better than the other either way. Doesn’t mean I’m against signing Meunier, but I just prefer Wan Bissaka.

croadyman

Lee Cattermole.

But seriously Bale would likely be the one for me.Talented player no doubt but with his fee,wage,age and his ridiculous injury record signing him would be a no brainer a absolutely daft move to make.

Unsure about Rabiot. His talent is evidently clear and we are in desperate need for more central quality but people do seem to have concerns/issues with his attitude.Either he's awfully misjudged in that respect and he just wants first team assurances or he really is a fellow not to inquire about.
Yeah I feel exactly the same about Rabiot,you can't tell if he has an attitude problem or just needs telling he is great

NoPace

I still don’t know what people see in Dalot that should stop us from signing Wan Bissaka. Wan Bissaka is a brilliant defender, and I don’t think Dalot looks nearly as good offensively as people here seem to think. Plus, if one of those two is gonna be good enough, he has to be better than the other either way. Doesn’t mean I’m against signing Meunier, but I just prefer Wan Bissaka.
Even if Dalot's offensive potential is reached in 2-3 years, it still makes sense to have a top defensive RB who can start 35 times at RB and leave Dalot 20 starts there, another 10 or so at left back and maybe another 5 on the wing and that's basically a full season right there for a player his age.

I could see the case for Wan-Bissaka being too expensive for that role with suitors like City and Chelsea (Walker and Azpilicueta could use pushing at their age and they're fairly versatile anyways) around, but yeah, seems like a good signing.

Also it's not inconceivable to think we'll play some 3 at the back (Ole did go to it in Paris and likes 2 up top) in certain defensively necessary games if we can't sign Sancho or another comparably first name on the teamsheet type right winger and that would suit Dalot too:

----------Striker-------Striker------------
---------Pogba---------Herrera----------
Shaw------------Matic-------------Dalot
--------CB--Lindelof-WanBissaka--------