Transfer Anti-Wishlist Options

Fosu-Mens

Bale - Injured.
Neves - Overrated.
Maguire - Costly for a backup.
Manolas - Bailly v.2.
D. Costa - Leftfooted Valencia.

Problem is that Woodward likes the big names, and can easily see us sign 3 of these players.

Bestietom

Maguire
Bale
Neves

Players I would really like to see come in.

Koulibaly
Wan Bisaka
Ndombele

CM10

Bale is the obvious one to avoid but I think the chances of signing him left with Mourinho anyway. I know a lot of people on here have their hearts set on a director of football but I trust the current management team to get it right.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Big names we’ve signed or been linked with over the last few years that have gone downhill since.

Bastian
Falcao
Sanchez
Di Maria (good player just never a united player and a very poor signing in hindsight, never wanted to be here)
Greizmann (to an extent, wouldn’t have done too much here I feel especially if shunted out to the right)
Maguire (never worth the fee and hype)
Muller (fallen off the cliff)
Bale (injuries, didn’t want to come here in his prime)
Vidal (age)
Ramos
Hummels (both good defenders naturally declining with age)
Rose
nannigolin or however you spell it
Moratta

Stop trying to buy the finished article over and over. There’s no shortcut to success. Even Madrid and Barca’s signings over the last few years have been youth driven. You don’t rebuild with older players.

We’ve had a Lucky escape with lots of them to be fair as they’d all be on massive money and impossible to sell.

Players that are now succeeding fit the old united model. Signed at Under 26 yet to hit their peak and obviously very talented, Shaw martial pogba ander viktor l and Dalot.

So going by that rationale we should absolutely be signing up sancho de ligt neves etc

Signing players who’ve arguably already peaked and giving them their final golden contract has worked out well for us with sheringham yorke all the way back in 1999 and RVP and That’s about it isn’t it?

The majority of Our Best signings were stepping up and either young prospects or just entering their prime. Rio, Rooney, Keane, Stam, Ruud, Ronaldo, carrick, vidic, Evra etc and half of that list is top British/Irish talent.

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Gareth Bale.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Griezmann would be a good signing but never a 120M+ player. Good movement, tidy on the ball and good finisher but that shouldn’t mean we should be paying that much.

To an extent I can understand paying the price for Pogba who has that X factor but not Griezmann, he’s class but replaceable.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Bale
Perisic
Willian
Alderweireld
Rice
Wan-Bissaka
Ndombele
Aouar
Lozano
Rafael

Last edited:

Thomas Hunter

Apparently the club won't put more than 200m£ in the transfer market. That would be the price to get Koulibaly and Sancho. I believe we will get only one of them, which would be Sancho. Napoli already refused a 105m euros last summer from us for Koulibaly, and Dortmund stated today that they would sell Sancho for around 100m euros.

Defense

CB: I think we will go for the cheap option at CB with Alderweireld. It's safe, he's experienced, maybe better than any of our cb's; or maybe Manolas. Bigger (realistic) options would be Varane, Ramos, or Skriniar.

LB: A lot of people say Kierney but he's about the same age as Shaw and that won't be good for Kierney to developp if Shaw is a starter.
I'm going with Ghoulam from Napoli, or Tagliafico from Ajax.

RB: There's no need for a right back I think, but if we can then we should sign Wan-Bissaka. He's english, he has a lot of potentiel, and he's already a beast.

Midfield
Dani Parejo. I love this type of midfielder. He's like the spanish Carrick. He's experienced, his passing and vision are outstanding, he woud be cheap, plus there's a lot of fellow spanish players in United.

Toni Kroos. Could leave Madrid this summer. He won everything. He's one the best at his position. He have one of the best passing accuracy in Europe. He's been critized lately in Madrid, and at 29 he could be up for a new challenge in EPL.

Julian Brandt. I believe he will be one the best offensive midfielder in a few years. Better than Pereira or even Mata. Wouldn't cost too much.

Attack
Dybala. He said he would like to play in EPL. He probably won't sign for Madrid because he is not Zidane prefered option.

Sancho. I think we will break the bank for him.

Overall, Sancho + Alderweireld + Wan-Bissaka would cost around 180m£. I would be happy with those 3 even though I believe we need a left back before a center back, since I have high hopes in Tuanzebe and Bailly regaining form, and also I think we need someone if case Shaw gets injured or in case he gets too comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

freeurmind

weak willed
Griezmann would be a good signing but never a 120M+ player. Good movement, tidy on the ball and good finisher but that shouldn’t mean we should be paying that much.

To an extent I can understand paying the price for Pogba who has that X factor but not Griezmann, he’s class but replaceable.
What?

soaphroniscuss

No Gareth Bale.
No Griezmann.
No Kroos.
No (supposed) Mou targets - Willian, Perisic, Rose.
Alderweireld only on a short contract and for 25m (or less) otherwise no.
No player for over 60m (including Sancho)

Cloud7

It’s been said many times, but just to beat the dead horse a bit more, there at very few players I would like to see come to United less than Gareth Bale.

freeurmind

weak willed
Not sure what more I can say.

Especially when I just said after that he doesn't really have that X Factor of being a 120M+ player, there are many players more talented than Griezmann.
Name 5 players who play in his position who are more talented.

Njord

No players over 26. If a big club wants to get rid of a big name player, chances are they see them as done, and we don't need another Schweinsteiger or Sanchez. If we buy from smaller clubs we might get lucky and unearth a van Dijk, but for every van Dijk there are 20 Schneiderlins. Better buy young and let them find their role in the club and learn to know their team mates on the pitch. Of the players between 25 and 30 today I think it's extremely difficult to aquire any top class talent. From 18 to 24 there should be far more opportunities.

freeurmind

weak willed
Isco
Messi
Eriksen
Dybala
Lacazette

Hazard
Seriously, come on. Dybala must be a joke. Eriksen is inconsistent and I'm not even going to address Lacazette who sits on the bench while Griezmann does the business for France.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Name 5 players who play in his position who are more talented.
These posts are the most stupid type on Redcafe. 5 other players have nothing to do with an opinion I have on Griezmann’s value. I like Griezmann but I have higher expectations for the money paid for him.

Let’s agree to disagree.

goin4glory

Bale
Rice

Anyone saying Toby isn't thinking right. Part of signing him is to ensure we weaken a rival and don't strengthen another. If Liverpool line up next season with VVD and Toby it'll be brutal. I'd pay the 25m to avoid that alone.

freeurmind

weak willed
These posts are the most stupid type on Redcafe. 5 other players have nothing to do with an opinion I have on Griezmann’s value. I like Griezmann but I have higher expectations for the money paid for him.

Let’s agree to disagree.
Iow I can't defend my point with reason or logic so the question must be stupid.

izec

Everyone who is injury prone and/or over 29 (with a high price tag). If we can get some quality players with experience on the cheap, why not.

Bestietom

I think there could be some surprises going out. We will need up to 5 players coming in, and I think they will all be under 25 years old.
If we lose Pogba and De Gea along with Herrera and Mata over contract matters it is the fault of Woodward signing Alexis and paying him so much. I predicted this would happen, when he came here.

Pav1878

Rice
Bale
Maguire
Skriniar (overrated, slow and clumsy)
Coutinho (vastly overrated)
Douglas Costa

NotQuiteManc

I hope the next transfer strategy would not involve big names for just names sake. I would take a winning team playing cohesive football, playing like a proper team instead of what we have at the moment. It could either be just bad form, or fatigue considering some of them did not have proper rest. Still, want to see some positive changes instead of repeating recent past mistakes.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I would only eschew players signed for their past reputations or commercial value alone. Other than that I trust the manager. For all the smack talked about Woodward, as far as I can tell he’s only ever signed who the manager wanted. And of the three big names signings he’s made, Pogba, Sanchez and Di Maria, all were salivated over by fans at the time. Lots of hypocrites in this forum.

Bale and Costa are the only two regularly linked players I wouldn’t want.

Based Adnan

Bale
Rice
Manolas
Rose
Trippier
Maguire
Boateng
K. Navas

All should be avoided for one reason or another