Transfer Chat

Hawks2008

Would prefer Cancelo to Wan Bissaka if the rumors are true he has fallen out with Allegri.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I'm tempted to agree, but at this point why would Alderweireld join us?

settembrini

Koulibaly would be significantly better than Alderweireld for United because he's a better player and plays as the left CB which is what United need.

And Wan-Bissaka has performed at a higher level this season, his first full one, than Meunier has in his entire career.

The only advantage to going with the Belgian boys is that they would be a lot cheaper.

The Nani

Koulibaly would be significantly better than Alderweireld for United because he's a better player and plays as the left CB which is what United need.

And Wan-Bissaka has performed at a higher level this season, his first full one, than Meunier has in his entire career.

The only advantage to going with the Belgian boys is that they would be a lot cheaper.
Don’t agree with any of that.

That said, if those are the moves we make I’ll hope to be proved wrong.

El-Manos

Is anyone else scared shitless at the prospect of our potential back four next season ?

Shaw-Koulibaly-Lindelof-AWB

That would cost upward of £150m, and the upgrade would only be slight.

The fullbacks would add little to not to the attack. And while the CBs would be good on the ball, neither of them are commanding defenders.

Scary stuff IMO.
What would be your preference then? Don't say De Ligt since there is no chance in hell he is coming here.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wan Bassaka isnt bad going forward. Whats more important though is with a proper right sided forward he would provide a great base for that player to go and attack.

Munier isnt the best defensively

The Nani

What would be your preference then? Don't say De Ligt since there is no chance in hell he is coming here.
Meunier and Alderweireld for £50m.

Promote Tuanzebe and keep Smalling around for depth. Spend the big bucks on midfield and attack.

Hopefully De Ligt stays at Ajax one more season so we can have a proper go at him next summer though that’s doubtful.

Devil may care

I think there's more nuance to things. Pepe has been one of Lille's best players this season and has helped them to qualify for the CL ahead of teams like Lyon and Marseille. He's a frustrating player and he's definitely not my first choice, but IMO we need to steadily improve, which unfortunately for us currently means securing a top 4 finish first and foremost. I want us to take the EL seriously and I am probably in the minority for actually liking the competition, but at the same time it's obviously important for us to be in the CL year after year.

I'm all for giving our young players a chance, but recently more talented players or players that looked to be as talented as our current bunch haven't worked out for us (Morrison, Will Keane, Petrucci, Januzaj). As far as I am concerned we could and probably should move on from players like Lukaku, Martial and Sanchez, let alone Lingard and Mata. There should be enough playing time available for the likes of Chong, Gomes and Greenwood, if we do actually move on from those senior players and still sign players like Pepe.

The argument that Munich opted against him, hence we should too, is understandable, but our situations are different. They don't have a problem qualifying for the CL every year and it is a lot easier for them to simply pick up players like Havertz or Brandt, if they choose to do so. Their squad in general is better than ours. Whereas we would have a lot more problems trying to sign the likes of Ricardo Pereira or Maguire, not to mention Eriksen.

Another argument for me is that there aren't many forwards available that could provide the goals that we need. If we don't get Jovic, then what? The answer can't simply be that we shouldn't bother then. Tottenham, Liverpool and Ajax have proven that you can be relatively successful with the likes of Tadic, Lucas Moura, Sissoko, Dier, Winks, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, a struggling Fabinho and Keita. In fact the way you describe Pepe could easily be applied to Son Heung-Min during his time in Germany.

All I'm saying is, I don't want us to place all our hopes on our academy players and at the same time we shouldn't do what Moyes did, which was not having a backup plan to Fabregas or Bale and assuming we've got time.
The thing for me is that we've wasted so much money on average players that I don't want to see us waste even more and to me that's all I see when I watch Pepe, loose control, often brainless, I just don't see him as a £50M player that will change anything about this team, I've never liked Lukaku but I personally don't see him offering us anything more than him or Rashford or Martial.

If we drop £100M combined on Bruno Fernandes and Pepe I think we'll still struggle to make 4th and then we'll be lumbered with two more overpriced players on high wages that we can't shift. I realize we are in a bad situation as not only is this a 3rd time in 6 seasons we are in the dead end cup, the whole club is coming off like a poisoned chalice at this point, but I just don't see spending big sums on mid level talent as being the way out of the hole we are in.

Ajax and Liverpool are hard to compare to, in some ways what Klopp has done with that midfield is like what Fergie did with us in latter years, where a great defense and strong firepower along with a galvanized team unit papered over the midfield, and Ajax have such an ingrained system that it makes them greater than the sum of their parts. Ole is no Fergie or Klopp, I don't even know what he wants to play and he doesn't seem like he does either, so at least if he uses the kids we wont dig the wage hole any deeper.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wonder how much we'd end up spending if we'd sell Pogba, Lukaku, Bailly, Rojo and Darmian. That could generate 250m. If we seriously do have another 200m to spend, we could really be looking at a huge summer.

A Sancho and a Koulibaly would be less than half that budget.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I'd like us to keep lukaku for another season if we can get a decent RW player and also RB covered.

I believe he could still put up good numbers with flank support.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Probably mentioned before but when does the window officially open?

Adamsk7

Koulibaly. £80m
Ndidi. £50m
Munier £20m
Bruno Fernandez. 60m (?)
Daniel James £15m
Nicolas Pepe £60m

Total £285m
Player sales - £50m ish (Deadwood, not including Pogba or De Gea currently)

A mix of more likely transfers, cheaper alternatives and players I’d love at the club. If we got those 6, sold some deadwood ( Rojo, Darmian, Bailly etc) and promoted Greenwood, Chong and Gomes, I think we’d be a lot healthier.

I don’t think any of those players or the prices are unrealistic. I’ve stuck a question mark next to Bruno because I’m not sure whether he would be cheaper, as some outlets are claiming, or more expensive.

I’d also say that I’d love Sancho but I don’t think he’s leaving Dortmund this summer. We’d be better off going for him next year as our top target, especially if we get back in the CL

Adamsk7

Probably mentioned before but when does the window officially open?
Midnight, although some leagues still have a couple of games left so even if we do bid for Koulibaly and or Fernandes and get the deals done quick, I doubt we’d hear about it until June anyway.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Koulibaly. £80m
Ndidi. £50m
Munier £20m
Bruno Fernandez. 60m (?)
Daniel James £15m
Nicolas Pepe £60m

Total £285m
As good as that looks on paper, I don't see us signing 5 foreign players this summer with the talk of Ole wanting more British players in the squad. There's also only 1 player in that list who has any PL football under his belt too.

I'd be happy with those 6 though for sure, just can't see it.

Adamsk7

As good as that looks on paper, I don't see us signing 5 foreign players this summer with the talk of Ole wanting more British players in the squad. There's also only 1 player in that list who has any PL football under his belt too.

I'd be happy with those 6 though for sure, just can't see it.
I probably agree. Guess that’s my realistic wish list but I can see us going for Rice instead of Ndidi and I did think we’d look at Maguire ahead of Koulibaly because for some reason he just seems like a Utd transfer, the sort that Sir Alex would make.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not even when he loses a few pounds? He always seems to work hard and try his best on the pitch. I really think we've been using him wrong.
If we were playing 442 with 2 wingers and fullbacks capable of crossing, with a Beardsley style link man behind then maybe we’d see the best of him

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
DDG

Wan Bissaka
Koulibaly
Lindelof
Shaw

Rabiot
Pogba
McTominay / Fred

Rashford (LWA)
Martial (as main striker)
Sancho (RWA

JawZ

Meunier and Alderweireld for £50m.

Promote Tuanzebe and keep Smalling around for depth. Spend the big bucks on midfield and attack.

Hopefully De Ligt stays at Ajax one more season so we can have a proper go at him next summer though that’s doubtful.
Agree. Those are the two I'd like the club to sign as well.

BlackBen

1. Cancelo
  2. Koulibaly
  3. Rodri
  4. Van de Beek
  5. Neres
  6. Dybala
Wishful thinking and all but I'd love that.

Hawks2008

Reddit itk saying De Gea will be leaving the club.

If this is the case I'd rather Give Romero/Henderson a chance before blowing a load on a new keeper or getting someone mediocre like cilessen.

red_de_pologne

If this is the case I'd rather Give Romero/Henderson a chance before blowing a load on a new keeper or getting someone mediocre like cilessen.
DDG is not irreplacable but his move will send all the wrong signals, club deteriorating, stars leaving, wrong direction etc.

C'est Moi Cantona

Any link, & idea of his credibility?

Personally I wouldn't let Romero anywhere near the first choice spot, and Henderson would be an almighty risk, so would rather DDG just stays for now, even if we've got to let him go for free next summer, there is enough work to do without adding this to it imo.

Hawks2008

Any link, & idea of his credibility?

Personally I wouldn't let Romero anywhere near the first choice spot, and Henderson would be an almighty risk, so would rather DDG just stays for now, even if we've got to let him go for free next summer, there is enough work to do without adding this to it imo.

I don't really hang around the reddit too much so not sure on his reliability but from what I can gather he does have a source at the club.

I still think Romero could be decent for a year, he's never done poorly when he has been called on. We have lots of positions to fill, a top keeper will eat a lot of our budget.

C'est Moi Cantona

I don't really hang around the reddit too much so not sure on his reliability but from what I can gather he does have a source at the club.

I still think Romero could be decent for a year, he's never done poorly when he has been called on. We have lots of positions to fill, a top keeper will eat a lot of our budget.
Cheers, reality is it is probably no more reliable than anywhere else, but I've thought DDG might be the big players we lose this summer for a while, I'd rather he stayed, but if PSG want to pay him what he wants then I don't blame him really, or us for that matter this time.

Sadly he probably could do with a change after clearly wanting several times before, and putting up with a lot of crap in his time here, so might just be best all round.

I reckon cracks would start to show in Romero's game pretty quickly if he's first choice, so I'm not keen, but our need is much greater elsewhere so wouldn't be the end the works if it happened, just as long as any DDG money is added to the overall budget.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Duncan Castles has said similar.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

This is the same guy who posted a couple of days ago about the details from a meeting?? About how we want Sancho, AWB, Koulibaly and Rabiot. Most of what he'd written seemed to make sense (apart from Ole loving Rojo :houllier:). So maybe he does have an inside source and is right about DDG.

Last edited:

Melville Red

Both are substantial upgrades.
I don’t want an upgrade.
I want a fecking Rolls Royce. If I’m paying out Rolls money then I don’t want an upgrade.

Saying that we won’t get who we really want because the players us fans want unfortunately want CL and there is a slight problem with that.