Transfer Chat

Eric's Seagull

Forget the wages, he hasn't proved that he deserves to be at Manutd.

The problem is that Ole seems to turn a blind eye to some of the players not performing which is worrying. Lingard looks lost, he clearly needs an extended time out of the team because this will not be doing him any good either.
I like Ole but it baffles me why he persists with Lingard. Doesn't score or assist enoug, his touch is terrible at times and spoils what could be promising goal scoring opportunities. Running about all day should be a minimum requirement of a united player. I hope he doesn't get his new contract and would personally want to sell him outright next in the summer or hopefully part exchange him for an upgrade.

romufc

I like Ole but it baffles me why he persists with Lingard. Doesn't score or assist enoug, his touch is terrible at times and spoils what could be promising goal scoring opportunities. Running about all day should be a minimum requirement of a united player. I hope he doesn't get his new contract and would personally want to sell him outright next in the summer or hopefully part exchange him for an upgrade.
He doesn't do anything. The number 10 role is not about running all day. That cannot be the criteria to get into the team. We got dominated by Arsenal in the first half and it looked like every attack could be a goal, a player of his experience should have dropped deep for 10-15 mins get on the ball and get us playing. Instead he got massively outperformed by Ozil.

Eric's Seagull

He doesn't do anything. The number 10 role is not about running all day. That cannot be the criteria to get into the team. We got dominated by Arsenal in the first half and it looked like every attack could be a goal, a player of his experience should have dropped deep for 10-15 mins get on the ball and get us playing. Instead he got massively outperformed by Ozil.
I can't understand how is still about when he is scoring or creating feck all at. I think at a other big club who are trying to win trophies, if he gave such little input he would have been shown the door a long time ago and that shit against Watford where he was being to chip it over the keeper when a no 10 is one one on one with the goal keeper he should have scored or at the very least got in on target.

romufc

I can't understand how is still about when he is scoring or creating feck all at. I think at a other big club who are trying to win trophies, if he gave such little input he would have been shown the door a long time ago and that shit against Watford where he was being to chip it over the keeper when a no 10 is one one on one with the goal keeper he should have scored or at the very least got in on target.
We talk about our ambition in the transfer market, but is there an ambition from the manager to be the best?

We do not have a number 10, yet we insist on playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, why?

Why not for a few games try a 4-3-3? where you have 3 midfielders which might give the team a better balance? Yes we might not have 3 midfielders at certain times, but I am sure a Garner or Levitt or Matic, McT and Fred would be harder to beat than insisting on playing a position where we have no player to play it.

Eric's Seagull

We talk about our ambition in the transfer market, but is there an ambition from the manager to be the best?

We do not have a number 10, yet we insist on playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, why?

Why not for a few games try a 4-3-3? where you have 3 midfielders which might give the team a better balance? Yes we might not have 3 midfielders at certain times, but I am sure a Garner or Levitt or Matic, McT and Fred would be harder to beat than insisting on playing a position where we have no player to play it.
It baffles me . I agree it would be a good shout playing 4-3-3. I've been thinking this for a while. Seems strange to be playing a formation which doesn't completely suit the players we have.

If Ole is insists on 4-2-3-1 then either get a quality number 10 now or play 4-3-3 until the end of the season and address the situation in the summer and buy a decent one then. Also by trying out 4-3-3 until the end of the season, we might actually play better using this formation and Ole may decide to change tactics and spend the money elsewhere if he is still here.

romufc

It baffles me . I agree it would be a good shout playing 4-3-3. I've been thinking this for a while. Seems strange to be playing a formation which doesn't completely suit the players we have.

If Ole is insists on 4-2-3-1 then either get a quality number 10 now or play 4-3-3 until the end of the season and address the situation in the summer and buy a decent one then. Also by trying out 4-3-3 until the end of the season, we might actually play better using this formation and Ole may decide to change tactics and spend the money elsewhere if he is still here.
The thing is over the last few years this has been the formation that has been working ?

I am not a tactical genius but watching us play sometimes when we get pulled apart by bottom half teams suggests the teams balance is not there.

Rashford likes to play inside forward, James has stopped tracking so if we played one anchor and two CM besides him, we could have midfielders covering for the RW and LW yet still having 2 CM in midfield covering that area.

Even if both attack there is always one CM behind covering. Just seems bizzare that we havent tried something different.

Surely, If you are lacking in an area of the pitch you want to protect the players.

Bestietom

We now need at least 3 midfielders. DM. AM. and a box to box midfielder.
Pogba wants out, McTominay out for a long time, Matic wants out ( finished anyway) Pereira not good enough.
Leaves us with Fred and Garner.
Most of the fans forecast from the start of the season, that if we got injuries in Midfield our season would break down. We should have replaced Herrera and Fellaini in the summer.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If there ever was a time to overpay to get your targets early, this is it. However I have zero confidence in Woodward comprehending the gravity of the situation and then acting on it no matter how much Ole pushes him.

Eric's Seagull

The thing is over the last few years this has been the formation that has been working ?

I am not a tactical genius but watching us play sometimes when we get pulled apart by bottom half teams suggests the teams balance is not there.

Rashford likes to play inside forward, James has stopped tracking so if we played one anchor and two CM besides him, we could have midfielders covering for the RW and LW yet still having 2 CM in midfield covering that area.

Even if both attack there is always one CM behind covering. Just seems bizzare that we havent tried something different.

Surely, If you are lacking in an area of the pitch you want to protect the players.
Agree with what you say. Maybe Ole doesn't think that we have a player capable of playing as a pure DM for 4-3-3 to work. Something Matic should be able to but in my opinion he is past it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Over the next couple of windows I'd love to see:

In: Eriksen (Spurs), Emre Can (Juve), Maddison (Leicester), Grealish (Villa), Digne (Everton), Bowen (Hull)

Out: Pogba, Matic, Jones, Mata, Sanchez, Young, Rojo

Next Season:

DDG/Henderson

AWB, Maguire, Lindelof/Smalling, Digne

McTominay, Emre Can, Maddison

Eriksen/James, Rashford, Martial

Subs: DDG/Henderson, Tuanzebe/Smalling/Lindelof, Williams, Fred, Greenwood, Eriksen/James, Lingard/Pereira/Bowen

Others: Romero, Shaw, Jones, Bailly, Smalling/Tuanzebe, Lingard/Pereira/Bowen, Garner, Gomes, Chong

We would still be short/inexperienced up top, but much better balance and depth in the middle of the park. I know it seems like a lot of changes, but when you look at each move separately, they shouldn't be outside the realms of possibility - nor hugely disrupt out expenditure.

Eriksen and Maddison in particular would help us unlock the teams we can't counter against in the league, and a few injuries in midfield wouldn't mean an instant crisis either.

Eric's Seagull

In: Eriksen (Spurs), Emre Can (Juve), Maddison (Leicester), Grealish (Villa), Digne (Everton), Bowen (Hull)

Next Season:

DDG/Henderson

Subs: DDG/Henderson, Tuanzebe/Smalling/Lindelof, Williams, Fred, Greenwood, Eriksen/James, Lingard/Pereira/Bowen

Others: Romero, Shaw, Jones, Bailly, Smalling/Tuanzebe, Lingard/Pereira/Bowen, Garner, Gomes, Chong

We would still be short/inexperienced up top, but much better balance and depth in the middle of the park. I know it seems like a lot of changes, but when you look at each move separately, they shouldn't be outside the realms of possibility - nor hugely disrupt out expenditure.

Eriksen and Maddison in particular would help us unlock the teams we can't counter against in the league, and a few injuries in midfield wouldn't mean an instant crisis either.
Like your optism but I don't think Woodward has got the capability of bringing in that many players the next couple windows sadly :(

Bestietom

CB, DM, AM, RW, and a striker. 5 top players is all we need to contest with the big teams. But these must be the right players.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
What drives me mad every January (not just with Utd, its all clubs) is why not have the players signed by now, on January 1st.

You know the window is coming up, so if you need a player then get him in ASAP, why drag it out?

January is widely regarded as the busiest time of year, in terms of fixtures, e.g. If we sign someone on the 31st Jan then they've already missed out on about 8-9 crucial matches, it's common sense.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Like your optism but I don't think Woodward has got the capability of bringing in that many players the next couple windows sadly :(
7 players, 2 likely from the Championship (Grealish and Bowen), and 1 whose contract is up (Eriksen) - competing clubs would be an issue, of course. Can shouldn't be too tricky if we get a clean run at him, and although Maddison and Digne would take time, I'd back us to get those done if we were set on them.

Selling Pogba alone would cover the cost (transfer and contract) of Maddison and Eriksen, as well as a decent chunk of Can.

Although the others would comfortably cost more than what we'd bring in for outgoing players, we'd be saving a hell of a lot on getting Young, Sanchez, Matic, Mata and Rojo off our salary list, on top of Pogba.

Bestietom

What drives me mad every January (not just with Utd, its all clubs) is why not have the players signed by now, on January 1st.

You know the window is coming up, so if you need a player then get him in ASAP, why drag it out?

January is widely regarded as the busiest time of year, in terms of fixtures, e.g. If we sign someone on the 31st Jan then they've already missed out on about 8-9 crucial matches, it's common sense.
Agree. Should be ready to join on January 1st.

EngimaMK

Going back to the first page of this thread is quite funny now... "Howson says..."

Amusing considering that it's now common knowledge that Howson knows sweet feck all.

Eric's Seagull

7 players, 2 likely from the Championship (Grealish and Bowen), and 1 whose contract is up (Eriksen) - competing clubs would be an issue, of course. Can shouldn't be too tricky if we get a clean run at him, and although Maddison and Digne would take time, I'd back us to get those done if we were set on them.

Selling Pogba alone would cover the cost (transfer and contract) of Maddison and Eriksen, as well as a decent chunk of Can.

Although the others would comfortably cost more than what we'd bring in for outgoing players, we'd be saving a hell of a lot on getting Young, Sanchez, Matic, Mata and Rojo off our salary list, on top of Pogba.
I agree with you that it shouldn't be too hard if we had someone more competent than Woodward running the show and I also think the players you mentioned would improve us.

What I'm concerned about is if Woodward has the capability of doing it in the time by working on one player at a time. Personally I think we should be able to operate better than that. I also agree on the players you mentioned leaving. I'm concerned that if we sell Pogba that Woodward will decide to use that as the majority of our full budget instead of adding it to whatever the budget is anyway.

Litch

If we dont sign players when it's a necessity given we are playing with the only two fit CM in the club, how can we dare to dream about what is going to happen in the summer. Pogs is going and Matic will be too leaving us with Scott and Fred? Even if we replace those two, we'd be in exactly the same position we are in now!!! Honestly I think it's scary our current situation

red4ever 79

Going to be the most interesting January in recent years I think.

Chelsea - Will for sure spend big after having a transfer ban imposed on them in the summer
Man Utd - Desperately needing midfielders
Spurs - Jose will want to make his mark on the squad and will have been given certain assurances by Levy
Arsenal - Arteta will be looking to strengthen the backline at Arsenal and getting some of his players in

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
The biggest issue is that there is just too much to do, even if we’re in a summer window.

Left back is a massive issue because Shaw is overweight and can’t defend against quick, busy players anymore.

Two new midfielders is a must if the Europa is to be kept going. Quality and numbers just aren’t there.

Number 10 is the biggest issue in the squad too, with no one capable of playing it well, never mind having cover for it.

And we only have four capable players for the front 3 positions in the team (including Greenwood), and they will have to play a massive amount of games from here on out.

It’s dangerous to have players Iike Fred clocking up so many minutes and the squad has been managed terribly.

Probably need 3 in January (one CM, one 10 and one to rotate up top), but I just can’t see it.

We are running the risk of overplaying and damaging young players for the future now. It really is unacceptable.

DamoK

Going back to the first page of this thread is quite funny now... "Howson says..."

Amusing considering that it's now common knowledge that Howson knows sweet feck all.
And he's staunch defending of Lingard tells you all you need to know about him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

It is doable, (it always has been) but I wouldn't trust our recruitment team to execute

OleGunnar20

Who Rio reckons we should sign, also suggests we should sign Cavani...do we agree?
Ruiz - 100% yes.

Koulibaly - Would be nice, but nowhere near priority.

Cavani - On a loan, why not. Although I think it'd go the way of Falcao, it'd be worth rolling the dice (Assuming signing an appropriately Young & match sharp, flexible attacker is out of the question).

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Next Season:

DDG/Henderson

Why would Grealish join us and not even be on the bench never mind in the team?

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
7 positions that need strengthening IMO. That'll give us flexibility to play a few formations (4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-2-2-2, 4-1-4-1) to suit different opponents.

Of course going by our standard 7 is unrealistic.

Hoping we fix at least 3 or 4 positions by the end of the summer window. Several options per position available.

Midfield

DLP: Adrien Rabiot / Leandro Paredes / Marcelo Brozovic
(Wildcards: Kalvin Philips / SMS)

Ball-Winner: Wilfred Ndidi / Saul Niguez / Valentin Rongier / Mikel Merino
(Wildcards: Sander Berge / Boubakary Soumare)

AM(R/C): Emiliano Buendia / Hakim Ziyech / Fabian Ruiz / Martin Odegaard / Luis Alberto / Bruno Fernandes
(Wildcards: Wylan Cyprien / Eberechi Eze / Jack Grealish)

Forward

FWR/SS: Jadon Sancho / Hakim Ziyech / Emiliano Buendia / Timo Werner / Joaquin Correa / James Maddison
(Wildcards: Said Benrahma / Federico Chiesa)

Target Man: Arkadiusz Milik
(Wildcards: Aleksandr Mitrovic / Edinson Cavani)

Defence

LB: Alex Telles / Lucas Digne / Nicolas Tagliafico
(Wildcard: Hassane Kamara)

CB: Dayot Upamecano / Sebastian Schonlau / Nico Elvedi / Ruben Dias

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Who Rio reckons we should sign, also suggests we should sign Cavani...do we agree?
Those are surprisingly some quality names mentioned there, rather than the usual Bale, Kroos and Mbappe style names the likes of Scholes throw around when asked the same question.

red_de_pologne

7 positions that need strengthening IMO. That'll give us flexibility to play a few formations (4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-2-2-2, 4-1-4-1) to suit different opponents.

Of course going by our standard 7 is unrealistic.

Hoping we fix at least 3 or 4 positions by the end of the summer window. Several options per position available.

DLP: Fabian Ruiz / Adrien Rabiot / Leandro Paredes / Marcelo Brozovic

DM: Wilfred Ndidi / Saul Niguez / Valentin Rongier / Mikel Merino / Sander Berge

CM/AM: Fabian Ruiz / Martin Odegaard / Luis Alberto / Bruno Fernandes

RW: Jadon Sancho / Hakim Ziyech / Emiliano Buendia

CF: Arkadiusz Milik / Timo Werner / Joaquin Correa

LB: Alex Telles / Lucas Digne / Nicolas Tagliafico / Hassane Kamara

CB: Dayot Upamecano / Sebastian Schonlau / Nico Elvedi / Ruben Dias

What do you mean by available? Most of the listed would be very difficult to sign by us

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
What do you mean by available? Most of the listed would be very difficult to sign by us
I disagree. I think most are available in this sellers market. For example,

Milik's contract is up soon.
Werner & Ziyech both signed extensions but supposedly did so with a gentleman's agreement on the minimum fee for release.
Upamecano will be allowed to leave this summer.
Paredes & Rabiot both have not settled, are underutilized & belong to clubs with stacked midfields.
Saul is rumoured to be unhappy & is represented by a British agent that has a number of United players under his roster:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/stellar-football-ltd/beraterfirma/berater/190

Granted that's a bit of a stretch but Atleti need to sell to buy.
Leicester will sell Ndidi if the fee is right especially since his replacements are already at the club (Choudhury/Mendy)
Bruno Fernandes is itching to leave & will almost certainly do so this summer.
Berge, Rongier, Kamara, Schonlau are at what you would call selling clubs.

Odegaard, Sancho & maybe Fabian Ruiz are close to impossible I'll give you that.

SweetRightFoot

We won't sign anyone in January.

'No value in the market' etc.

Matic will get a 2 year contract extension though.

Ralph1386

Is it realistic to think that the club had no intention of signing a midfielder this January until the injuries of Pogba and McTominay? Basically Haaland was the only target and now we’re looking for a Plan B because there wasn’t one?

red_de_pologne

Is it realistic to think that the club had no intention of signing a midfielder this January until the injuries of Pogba and McTominay? Basically Haaland was the only target and now we’re looking for a Plan B because there wasn’t one?
IS it realistic to think the club STILL has no intention of signing a midfielder this January despite the injuries of Pogba and McTominay?

DarkRed

No, the coaching stuff wanted a DM in the summer, but likely was blocked by upper management because there is kinda no need for more then 4 players for 2 spots. Of course Pogba was injured all season, Matic was injured more then half already and now McTominay is injured, so out of the 4 we have 2 were always injured...

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think its realistic to say United still have no intention of bringing in a midfielder especially permanently.

Throughout the course of this window we'll just get random rumours dropping,like usual, but not at the regular consistency in-comparison to the summer.

As an example the Winks rumour will come and go within a space of a couple of days. It'll either be shot down publicly,through a 'source' or it'll just whimper away and be replaced with another silly rumour.

joedirt87

Losing Lingard and Young in the January window with no replacements seems foolish given our lack of depth, but I don’t even care. Let them leave. It’s been coming for years now.