Transfer Market and Lower costs.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The Corona virus has put the brakes on football thus all clubs revenue streams are being severely impacted. The TV deal revenue will be under threat legally. Will they still pay for sport that's not being broadcasted?
Clubs losing match day revenue and potential prize money will be massive.
Clubs with massive wage Bill's! How do they keep paying players?
How do clubs play by the FFP rules?

Anyone that thinks there is clubs going to be throwing 100 million fees around after this is in for a shock. Transfer fees will lower drastically.
Smaller clubs will have to sell decent players to survive and bigger clubs wont pay 50 or 60 million for the maddisons and grealish type players.

Pogba is going to stay at United now.
There isn't a club that can afford a fee that United will need to offset the investment.

The market is going to get interesting once this thing goes away

Could be a welcome wake up call for football.

it’s all about the TV money, and what’s going to happen. Obviously match day revenues have an effect as well.

croadyman

The Corona virus has put the brakes on football thus all clubs revenue streams are being severely impacted. The TV deal revenue will be under threat legally. Will they still pay for sport that's not being broadcasted?
Clubs losing match day revenue and potential prize money will be massive.
Clubs with massive wage Bill's! How do they keep paying players?
How do clubs play by the FFP rules?

Anyone that thinks there is clubs going to be throwing 100 million fees around after this is in for a shock. Transfer fees will lower drastically.
Smaller clubs will have to sell decent players to survive and bigger clubs wont pay 50 or 60 million for the maddisons and grealish type players.

Pogba is going to stay at United now.
There isn't a club that can afford a fee that United will need to offset the investment.

The market is going to get interesting once this thing goes away
Yeah I could easily see Utd either waiting a year to bring in Sancho in this current situation or opting to sign a cheaper option in that position this summer

Dante

Average bang
It all depends on whether we finish the season and how the broadcast companies are going to pay out.

Clubs that rely on gate receipts and the TV deals are going to be in trouble. United's sponsorships should help to lessen the blow to us.

I do agree that the market is going to see a reduction in prices. But like a housing crash, everyone is going to be affected. So there aren't likely to be many winner or losers.

McGrathsipan

Prices will drop of that there is no doubt.

Ill be very interested to who moves first of the big clubs.

If we get going again by the end of April we might avoid the worst of it but anything longer and its getting messy.
Even sponsorship is based on exposure for a brand and thats not happening.

You must also think the likes of United are seeping a couple of million a week in Wages I'd say.

Long term we are in trouble too

Acole9

Outstanding
The way transfer fees were going was never going to be sustainable. I just wish it wouldn't happen in this way.

Skills

Snitch
Is it going to effect clubs enough that they will need to start selling players?

The market is inflated right now because clubs don't need to sell their players. I think there is also a change of mindset behind this. Because the PL is so valuable and if you have a formula which guarantees you premier League football at the moment, you don't want to risk making an unnecessary change. So the clubs are ready to hang onto players knowing they will get them a 100m of pl income for the next few years.

Where in previous times the stakes were lower, clubs were ready to gamble more by selling their better players for above market value and trying to improve with the cash injection they've gotten.

wolvored

I dont neccessarily agree about transfer fees dropping. We wont let Pogba go for £50 million so why would Dortmund sell Sancho for less than they were after, or Kane at Spurs etc. I think there may be a bit of play in the market, but within a season it will be as you were.

McGrathsipan

I dont neccessarily agree about transfer fees dropping. We wont let Pogba go for £50 million so why would Dortmund sell Sancho for less than they were after, or Kane at Spurs etc. I think there may be a bit of play in the market, but within a season it will be as you were.
It depends on how long the disruption lasts.
The more cash that goes out the door over time the less clubs will have to run on. Selling will be the only option for some clubs and clubs with money will know this.

Then.... take city and PSG for example. Will they be allowed to dip into the Arab oil bank account or will UEFA make them play by FFP.

The market will need a kick start and if this disruption lasts into the autumn it will effect the costs of players and the willingness to part with stupid money by the clubs

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This will undoubtedly effect recruitment but it will sadly affect smaller clubs as they will need to sell to balance the books. The oil rich clubs will not be affected. I think this makes clubs like Dortmund more likely to cash in. The question is the realignment of fees to match market realities.

Anyone who can afford to wait another summer, to sell, will do so in the hope of extracting a much better fee when the market is more robust.

Classical Mechanic

This will undoubtedly effect recruitment but it will sadly affect smaller clubs as they will need to sell to balance the books. The oil rich clubs will not be affected. I think this makes clubs like Dortmund more likely to cash in. The question is the realignment of fees to match market realities.

Anyone who can afford to wait another summer, to sell, will do so in the hope of extracting a much better fee when the market is more robust.
UEFA have slackened FFP so the oil rich clubs will be in the best position again. My thought is that high level football clubs really should have high level pandemic insurance (it’s expensive and rare apparently), considering that their most valuable assets are humans. Only a guess but I feel United’s gesture to keep paying low level staff no matter what is an indication that they’re covered.

King Eric 7

Don't see why Pogba can't be sold. He still has a value, even if it's 20% lower than last month. If Pogba was worth Bruno + Grealish last month, for example, he should still be worth Bruno + Grealish this month. The replacements we need for the same player would have to drop by an equal amount and this could protract negotiations but I'd imagine there should still be some deals to be done.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Hopefully the massive transfers fees are history due to the fact that so many people are going to have their finances fecked royally when this calms down. In my opinion it shouldn't be possible to keep going like this, that money will be better spent at something else than a handful of footballers.

stubie

Could be another ITV Digital situation for Football League clubs.

Hopefully enough is done at the top of the pyramid to ensure the survive of the most vulnerable

Greck

Assuming the glazers haven't hidden from us some onerous debt that's somehow due this year or next I'd like to believe this is our time to shine. TV income is looking set to take a huge blow with the TV companies asking for refunds this year or a discount next year. Match day revenue is also taking a hit.

The big differentiator will be sponsorships. I bet no one will be complaining about all those noodle sponsors anymore. That's the advantage we have that other prem clubs do not. Previously the massive TV deal made everyone rich

ATXRedDevil

For those saying oil rich clubs will be in the best position, don’t forget that amid the coronavirus issues we’re also in the middle of an oil price war that has driven crude prices way down as a result of Russian and Saudi actions. Those “oil rich” clubs are making considerably less per barrel than they were even a month ago. If your revenues are cut in half, you may be less likely to pump cash into a football club.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
For those saying oil rich clubs will be in the best position, don’t forget that amid the coronavirus issues we’re also in the middle of an oil price war that has driven crude prices way down as a result of Russian and Saudi actions. Those “oil rich” clubs are making considerably less per barrel than they were even a month ago. If your revenues are cut in half, you may be less likely to pump cash into a football club.
Please, do you seriously think those oil clubs are carrying such overheads for these Oil Regimes as to be affected by the short term drop in prices? The costs of running those clubs are a drop in the barrel for them.

NoPace

There's already rumours Juve's financial situation is fecked now and I have read that Italy and Germany (not sure why them and not Spain?) are going to be hit hardest economically, so maybe Serie A and Bundesliga players moving to England, Spain and even France is what we should expect?

For us at our positions of need that would be something like this to watch for I guess (not including most Munich players let's assume they're fine to keep their core):

ST - Werner, Milik, Belotti, Ilicic, Zapata,Immobile, Kramaric, Poulsen, Thuram, Shick, Mateta
RW - Sancho, Chiesa, Kulusevski, Under, Orsolini, Berardi, Bernardeschi, Skov, Lukebakio, Sabitzer
AM- Havertz, Olmo, Nkunku, Milinkovic-Savic, Zaniolo, Alberto, Paqueta, Ramsey, Amiri, Harit, Eriksen,
CM- Ruiz, Pellegrini, Pjanic, Bentancur, Rabiot, Zelinski, Tolisso, Demirbay, Serdar, Laimer, Palacios,
DM- Zakaria, Tonali, Brozovic, Javi Martinez, Bennacer, Lobotka, Demme, Maier, Adams, Ascasibar
LB- Alex Sandro, Pellegrini, Schultz, Max, Martins, Gosens,
CB- Koulibaly, Upamecano, Konate, De Ligt, Skriniar, Romanogli, Ginter, Tah, Elvedi

LB is pretty ugly, strikers look more like challengers to Martial than upgrades (Ilicic or Zapata for 2 years while Greenwood matures is tempting) and a big drop off at RW after Sancho but lots of exciting young depth for a Pogba replacement, at DM and a CB to start next to Maguire.

Rocknrolla69er

Sounds like this will be good for us as long as we spend wisely.
Wondering if clubs like Juventus will move more towards player exchanges due to the finincial crisis that may hit, id certainly be interested in De Ligt and Ramsey for Pogba rather than them paying a big fee.

How much would Zakaria and Ighalo cost do you think?

Sancho £100m
De Ligt+Ramsey for Pogba
Zakaria
Ighalo

Would be the dream for me, probably way too ambitious but you never know haha

.....................De Gaea
AWB......De Ligt....Maguire....Shaw
..................... Zakaria
......Fernandes.........Ramsey........
..Sancho........................Rashford....
.....................Martial..........

Subs
Henderson...Williams...Bailly....Mctominay...Fred....James.....Greenwood

RedDevilRoshi

Wondering if clubs like Juventus will move more towards player exchanges due to the finincial crisis that may hit, id certainly be interested in De Ligt and Ramsey for Pogba rather than them paying a big fee.

Sancho £100m
De Ligt+Ramsey for Pogba
Zakaria
Ighalo

Subs
I think Zakaria would cost £40M & Ighalo £20M.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If there is any chance of financial capitalisation the first thing I’d be doing is trying to get De Jong out of Barcelona.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
It all depends on whether we finish the season and how the broadcast companies are going to pay out.

Clubs that rely on gate receipts and the TV deals are going to be in trouble. United's sponsorships should help to lessen the blow to us.

I do agree that the market is going to see a reduction in prices. But like a housing crash, everyone is going to be affected. So there aren't likely to be many winner or losers.
No it won't it will hit the clubs with the biggest wage earners hardest as they will still have to honour the contracts and there will be no buyers for the players unless they are super stars and the selling club accepts low/no fee.

I honestly see a fire sale at Barca this Summer unless they can salvage tv money and the CL plays out next year. Their wage bill is absolutely insane.

croadyman

Sancho £100m
De Ligt+Ramsey for Pogba
Zakaria
Ighalo

Subs
Would happily take De Ligt, Sancho & Zakaria but expect Jadon to certainly cost well over the £100m mark. Personally I am still unconvinced Utd are even looking at bringing in a DM which is a shame because we really need someone in that position.

My gut feeling is that the Ramsey ship sailed way back in 2008 when he looked set to join, there is no way I can see us paying that £400,000 a week wages that he is supposed to be currently on at Juventus.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Sounds like this will be good for us as long as we spend wisely.
Exactly. And I find it a bit difficult to fit Sancho in to that picture. Dortmund, like us, is probably in a sound state financially. It is one of the few clubs where you probably will not get a "corona-discount". So spending the entire budget on Sancho might not make much sense. Even if Sancho actually makes perfect sense.

I was looking at our own finances for another reason earlier. In 2019 we had costs of 602m and last season we spent 178m on player expenditures. We get 275m from commercial revenue which you would assume won't be affected too much, 241m from broadcasting which will see a small hit, and 111m of matchday revenue of which approximately 1/4 will be wiped out. We will not be spending big but we do have some breathing room, it just depends how long this all goes on for.

I'd think well run clubs like us and Liverpool will still have some room to buy players but those operating closer to the edge will be in trouble.