Transfer Record Under Ole

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Didnt see if there was a thread on this, but I feel like it merits its own discussion. The results and performances havent always been perfect, but I hope we can agree that one area that has been pretty much an unmitigated success under Solskjaer has been our transfers. Lets look at them;

Maguire - Big money, probably too much money, but it was always going to be that way for a top level young English CB. For me, he has been worth it. He is far more than "just a defender" - he is a threat in offensive set pieces, he is a leader (hence made captain), and he can actually carry the ball out of defence effectively, which is something we have lacked for years. Its hard to stress how important that last point is, as it can change the entire way we play and how teams set up against us.

Wan-Bissaka - Called "Wall-Bissaka" in his performance thread for a reason. Incredibly solid at the back. Admittedly underwhelming going forwards but that seems to be an area he has been improving on over the last few weeks. Another young, English player who can be a part of the core of our team going forwards.

James - Gets a bit of flak here and there. He isnt the finished product, but we didnt buy him as the finished product. The very fact that he has played so many games this season is proof that he has exceeded expectations. Cost £15m and still very young - bargain.

Fernandes - Not much needs to be said here. Instant impact, has transformed our midfield and seems to have really been a kick up the ass for the squad in general too. Probably our best signing of the last decade.

Ighalo - Ill admit, I thought this one was a mistake when I saw the deal announced, but he has proved me (and other doubters) wrong. Looks a real presence up front, offers something different to our other strikers whilst still clearly being able to find the net and contribute in the buildup.

There are a few trends with some of these signings - all of them are players who you can tell were/are eager to play for the club (unlikely various previous signings), all of them are fairly young (except Ighalo, but thats a loan deal anyway), the majority are British, none of them would be considered "galactico" style signings. There has been a clear shift in our transfer policy under Ole, compared with our previous few managers, and its clearly working much better. For this, Ole deserves a lot of credit.

SCJY

Another way to look at it is: who would be be playing in those positions instead if they weren't signed?

Maguire - Smalling, Jones?
Wall-Bissaka - Young?
James - ???
Fernandes - Lingard, Pereira, Mata, Sanchez?
Ighalo - ???

Ole simply understands the culture of the club and the spending habits imposed by that culture. He is working within the system of United with an inside-out approach as opposed to the bulldozing outside-in way. Look at Maureen, who signed a 50m player in Fred and chooses to play Fellaini instead. That's simply disgusting.

The transfer policy under Ole has been an unmitigated success. Long may it continue.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I remember fergie saying he signed both Ashley young and Valencia based on their strong desire to join United.

Well it wasn't for anything else if we are honest.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I remember fergie saying he signed both Ashley young and Valencia based on their strong desire to join United.

I'm sure your comment will have them weeping into their premier League medals.

RUCK4444

Another way to look at it is: who would be be playing in those positions instead if they weren't signed?

Maguire - Smalling, Jones?
Wall-Bissaka - Young?
James - ???
Fernandes - Lingard, Pereira, Mata, Sanchez?
Ighalo - ???

Ole simply understands the culture of the club and the spending habits imposed by that culture. He is working within the system of United with an inside-out approach as opposed to the bulldozing outside-in way. Look at Maureen, who signed a 50m player in Fred and chooses to play Fellaini instead. That's simply disgusting.

The transfer policy under Ole has been an unmitigated success. Long may it continue.
This. Exactly what I saw forming after his first window and has only gone from strength to strength which is probably the main reason I've never stopped back Ole. At the end of the day we needed a big rebuild and therefore the recruitment HAD to change, the approach, the demographic, squad balance.

Comparing the new signings to the old players we were having to put up with or shoehorn into positions, like you have above, speaks volumes. It shows, importantly, that Ole understands exactly what was needed and hasn't cut corners in order to sign bigger names.

Also agree that there is an understanding of the culture of club that we knew we would get with Ole and here is an example of it paying dividends. It also speaks to his coaching ability and management skills that both the big name signings and the 'lesser' known players have all hit the ground running

There is a new level set within this squad now, a better environment and togetherness, this I'm sure will attract other potential signings and set the tone when they arrive. I'm excited for this summer.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Yep he's been smashing it in this department.

Makes you wonder what will happen with Pogba. The rumours of him being offered a renewal, clash with the genuine desire to play for the club trend.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Without wanting to piss on the parade Mourinho's buys were all looking great after his first season less we forget (even Mkhitaryan)

The board need to give Ole exactly what he wants in the summer

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Without wanting to piss on the parade Mourinho's buys were all looking great after his first season less we forget (even Mkhitaryan)

That’s true, although long term injuries to Bailly and Ibrahimovic really derailed their United careers. By the time Ibrahimovic had recovered we’d already signed Lukaku and Bailly still hasn’t got over his injury issues to this day.

SirScholes

It’s freshness and energy that was needed in the squad since Ferguson left, players at the start of their careers.
Been watching the 2000 goals on YouTube, I’ve just hit the van gaal era and Jesus the whole team is so slow full of big names at the wrong end of their career that needed energy around them.

cyril C

Then why was that Haaland and Kroos shit? If these guys WANTED to join us, they would have done so regardless of who is the manager and whether we can play in CL.

Sylar

Yup came to say this
Even with Mkhi he was pretty important in our Europa run scoring in nearly every round including the final.

With ole it's definitely looking promising. I hope we have a great summer of signings that allow us to compete rather than trying to break it down over a few windows to save money (eg imagine if we had got Bruno in the summer instead of Jan)

Stadjer

The incoming transfers that were done with Ole as manager have been good. He also fixed up Mourinho his transfer of Fred. Getting rid of Lukaku for good money and making Martial the center forward has been the best deal for me so far. If Lingard is sold this summer for decent money that could be an even better deal though.

Grib

Maguire - Big money, probably too much money, but it was always going to be that way for a top level young English CB. For me, he has been worth it. He is far more than "just a defender" - he is a threat in offensive set pieces, he is a leader (hence made captain), and he can actually carry the ball out of defence effectively, which is something we have lacked for years. Its hard to stress how important that last point is, as it can change the entire way we play and how teams set up against us.
Wanted to stop reading at Maguire

Definitely wanted to stop reading at more than just a defender

If you think he's change the way we play i don't know what to say.

I've seen him enough live and on the screen (at United) to make me question what the heck we spent that money on. He'll step out with the ball and then ponder on it, while there's an easy pass to a guy in space, slowly assessing the field before giving it to the guy who used to be in space but is now marked

I took for granted when we signed him that he was actually a player but I've seen bought of it overall, even his defence has been iffy (generous)

Saying that confidence (and partner) may play a part (I never watched him at hull/Leicester/england) but the amount of times I've seen him turn down an obvious, progressive, fairly low risk pass makes me wonder what all the frigging fuss was about

All being said signing wise I think we're on the right track

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
As a manager you need luck and I think we've seen progress. His record is very good thus far.

Red_toad

How odd one of our players of the year award recipients is only remembered for his latter years. Even made EPL team of the years.
Maybe Rooney was shite as well for certain sections of our fan base.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
How odd one of our players of the year award recipients is only remembered for his latter years. Even made EPL team of the years.
Maybe Rooney was shite as well for certain sections of our fan base.
There's shortlists and then there's short lists. That was a short list year.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I imagine that when Ole was hired, it was partly because he would have a better idea of the direction to go in with the squad. It feels this was probably discussed along with giving youth a chance (might sound obvious but it doesn't seem like squad direction was discussed much in the past before hiring). Perhaps him and a few others including Carrick have been given more control or perhaps they've just identified a better list of potential players that actually fit the bill.

Slik

Y
I imagine that when Ole was hired, it was partly because he would have a better idea of the direction to go in with the squad. It feels this was probably discussed along with giving youth a chance (might sound obvious but it doesn't seem like squad direction was discussed much in the past before hiring). Perhaps him and a few others including Carrick have been given more control or perhaps they've just identified a better list of potential players that actually fit the bill.
I think you are right on your first statement. Recruitment has been a major headache for United since Fergie left. So I don’t think anyone should for a second doubt that Ole was signed partly because they believe he can identify players that will actually succeed at United. He knows the culture, he has said so himself. He can tell a player who will succeed at united 9 times out of 10. And even if u forget about tactics, just the mere fact he knows the kind of character, personality and quality on the ball of a player who will succeed at United makes Ole the most important signing we have had since Fergie left.
If not for anything, we need him at least for the next two years to sign the right players with the right mentality and quality to play for United.
The scrutiny and pressure that comes with playing for united means not just any player, no matter their quality, can play for United.
Ole understands this so clearly, and selecting the right players comes easily to him.
Fergie said; Ole reads the game very well from the bench before he comes on as a substitute. A person like that always knows which player types best suits United. U can doubt his tactical acumen, but there is no better person to bring in players and build a quality team for Uniteds future.
He has shown his man management skill is up there with the very best. Even in times of poor results, he is able to stay positive and motivate the players; hence they always come through when it matters the most.
I believe Ole will win something for us soon. But even if he doesn’t, he will leave United with a great squad for whoever comes after him. Not a disjointed mix marsh of players, but a group of players fitting of playing for United.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Or perhaps we hit a bit of a good form coincidentally with the arrival of bruno.

New players ussually shines for a few games because teams hasnt adapted to him. Kinda like james early on.

I'd wait untill next season at least to see where we are by then.

Time and number of games are the only real barometer of progress.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Or perhaps we hit a bit of a good form coincidentally with the arrival of bruno.

New players ussually shines for a few games because teams hasnt adapted to him. Kinda like james early on.

I'd wait untill next season at least to see where we are by then.

Time and number of games are the only real barometer of progress.
So you're suggesting that teams adapted to Di Maria, Bastian, Miki, Schneiderlin, Depay, and Falcao, but not Bruno, AWB, Maguire or Ighalo?

Dorris

I've seen him enough live and on the screen (at United) to make me question what the heck we spent that money on. He'll step out with the ball and then ponder on it, while there's an easy pass to a guy in space, slowly assessing the field before giving it to the guy who used to be in space but is now marked

I took for granted when we signed him that he was actually a player but I've seen bought of it overall, even his defence has been iffy (generous)

Saying that confidence (and partner) may play a part (I never watched him at hull/Leicester/england) but the amount of times I've seen him turn down an obvious, progressive, fairly low risk pass makes me wonder what all the frigging fuss was about

Maguire’s been a fantastic signing. Baffling how you can think otherwise

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His transfers have been very good for the most part, obviously he left us a little short on depth in the summer, but a lot of deadwood has gone and we've had 3 very good players come in with AWB, Maguire and Bruno, the James signing is a great bench option and Ighalo has looked like a masterstroke too.

As much as I don't rate him as a coach, his record with transfers is our best since Fergie. I wouldn't mind keeping him on as DOF. Just not manager.

Ole has a better DoF record than any proper DoF in the last 2 years.
I'd love to see him move upstairs to DOF. Get someone like Poch or Nagelsmann in as manager and let Ole get the players in. Saves us from having to sack a club legend too.

Based Adnan

Ashley Young has never been good enough for United but that wasn't the case for Valencia.

wrinklydong

At one point we were expecting new players to slowly turn shit after their transfer to Manchester United. We might be underestimating how culture plays an important part in the dressing room. On top of his transfer, the turnaround wouldn't happen if Ole have not removed the deadwood, quarantined bad influences and retained players who wants to play for the badge.

Member 90887

You're basing your 'average rating' on posters ratings in the caf ? really ? What a ridiculous argument.

How about his whoscored rating of 7.12 ? a rating that compares to Liverpool VVD (7.40), one of the best if not the best CB in the world right now ?

Let's be objective a little bit.

RkkMan

You`re being extremely harsh. If you want to know if he has improved how we play I suggest you watch our transitional play from defence when we had Smalling/Jones and how we were conceding to countless set pieces before we signed him.

El Zoido

Ashley Young has never been good enough for United but that wasn't the case for Valencia.
Young was fine as a squad player, a great fit. He was always an attacking winger, should have been a full back as desperate cover only. It’s insanity that he was ever converted in to a permanent LB. It’s like having Carrick cover at CB once then deciding to make him a permanent CB for the next six seasons, then complaining when he’s not Paolo Maldini. The whole thing with Young was always so bizarre to me. He should have been a reserve option in attack, not a permanent LWB for god knows how many years.