Transfer Record Under Ole

Craig Ward

Why isn't Maguire considered world class, he would walk into every team in the world for me.
Bit of over hype there - he's nowhere near world class and i can assure you, he doesnt get into many elite level teams in world football.

If we put him up for sale tomorrow, for his price etc not many would even make an enquiry.

He's a damn good CB, but far from world class

DSG

The Caf in fine form... 2 pages debating whether Maguire is merely decent to great.... with a sprinkling of discussion over Kroos and Ashley Young. :houllier:

Ole has done well with his transfers, and even better with his development of players.

Another way to look at this is that his defensive additions have improved our Goals Against from 10th to 2nd and avg per match of 1.4GA to 1.0 GA. Is that all due to Maguire? No. Is he the leader of the defense? Yes.

Offensively, we are not as good as last season by the numbers (1.71 GF vs. 1.51 GF). I think the eye test over the last several weeks would indicate that we are actually better at breaking down well organized sides. Without Pogba and Rashford, that’s actually not terrible.

It’s the turn over in key players in the side that is most encouraging, as others have mentioned. In addition to the transfer business, the introduction of Williams and Greenwood as frequently appearing in the first 11 is fantastic, not to mention the emergence of Fred.

8 new players into the fold vs. last season’s dross. Not bad.

Slik

Never too late to use your common sense instead of spinning yarns and making ludicrous assumptions just to put someone down a notch. Also it seems difference of opinions are no longer allowed on this forum and sometimes even without knowing the actual opinion!!!

P .S. This is not worth dragging anyway. So my intention was to indicate that in no way Maguire is a record fee defender. And it's not just about that clueless lunge. He has been average to good at best. Has had numerous shaky moments, luck and I cannot recall one game since August where he has been imperious. Or should we not even expect one super-boss game from our record signing?
So this is the common sense you talked about? Common sense is indeed not common

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Or perhaps we hit a bit of a good form coincidentally with the arrival of bruno.

New players ussually shines for a few games because teams hasnt adapted to him. Kinda like james early on.

I'd wait untill next season at least to see where we are by then.

Time and number of games are the only real barometer of progress.
Harry Maguire and AWB are unknown to Premier League teams?

Manchester City played against Dan James last season. He played so well he earned public praise from Pep. Pretty sure they knew about him before we played them.

Bruno Fernandes is the only player that has not played in England before. But he did play 2 games v Arsenal in the 18/19 EL campaign. But I'm going to take a huge gamble and say that: The other team knew he signed for our team before we played them, and that some data was collected. "Good at passing" "Shoots a lot" probably came up.

Ighalo has scored 15 in the Premier League for Watford and is hardly unknown.

By all accounts, the season is over so might as well pass judgement how the signings have performed now. It has less to do with teams "adapting to players" and more to do with teammates finding synergy right off the bat. Bruno Fernandes and ighalo for example.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Bit of over hype there - he's nowhere near world class and i can assure you, he doesnt get into many elite level teams in world football.

If we put him up for sale tomorrow, for his price etc not many would even make an enquiry.

He's a damn good CB, but far from world class
Which teams doesn't he start for?

TrustInJanuzaj

Barca, Real, PSG, Bayern, Dortmund, Juve, Liverpool.

Probably more based on style of play as well
Fair enough I think he’d walk into all those sides and also think his style of play is perfect for a front foot team, he’s aggressive and an excellent ball player.

Slik

Haha Liverpool? Haha. What wouldn’t Klopp give to have Maguire besides Van dyke instead of Gomez or lovren. Maguire will easily start at PSG. Which defenders at Bayern and Dortmund do you consider to be better than Maguire? Only team he probably wouldn’t start is Juve. Maguire walks into Barca’s defense just as easily.

Djemba-Djemba

Never too late to use your common sense instead of spinning yarns and making ludicrous assumptions just to put someone down a notch. Also it seems difference of opinions are no longer allowed on this forum and sometimes even without knowing the actual opinion!!!

P .S. This is not worth dragging anyway. So my intention was to indicate that in no way Maguire is a record fee defender. And it's not just about that clueless lunge. He has been average to good at best. Has had numerous shaky moments, luck and I cannot recall one game since August where he has been imperious. Or should we not even expect one super-boss game from our record signing?
Everton away about 3 weeks ago.

mannbeist

Would playing for Liverpool besides Van dijk .
Bayern with Sule.
Easily at Dormund, who play 3 at the back. And Hummels is way over the top.
Should be playing over Thiago Silva at PSG, but could be hard considering he is the captain.
Should also get decent playing time with Pique at Barca.
Rotation at Juve and Real.

jem

I remember fergie saying he signed both Ashley young and Valencia based on their strong desire to join United.

Well it wasn't for anything else if we are honest.
Did you not watch Valencia's first 3 seasons with us?

mancave bear

Would playing for Liverpool besides Van dijk .
Bayern with Sule.
Easily at Dormund, who play 3 at the back. And Hummels is way over the top.
Should be playing over Thiago Silva at PSG, but could be hard considering he is the captain.
Should also get decent playing time with Pique at Barca.
Rotation at Juve and Real.
Good answer. Maguire is among the best, beeing a great leader as well.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira

So wrong and obviously biased. The real funny one is Liverpool on the list.

Untd55

Wan Bissaka - Always supported this signing. Continued his great defensive displays from last season. Also, improving on his attacking play. Very good signing.

James - Average player that has only one noticeable asset: pace. Not a terribly high price though, so I would rate it as an average signing.

Maguire - Good defender but very expensive. He has started playing much better in the last two months, being pretty underwhelming before that. He is a decent signing, but needs to continue and improve to be considered a good one.

Fernandes - Looks like a great signing thus far, but it has only been a short while, so need to hold off on rating this signing.

Overall, Solskjaer/recruitment team has not done bad thus far.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
His transfer work has been very promising. Ins and Outs.

I like the characters that he's bringing in, players who are actually desperate to play for United. Shipping out mercenaries and players with bad attitude which is why I think Pogba may have to go this summer (or whenever the window opens).

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Wan Bissaka - Always supported this signing. Continued his great defensive displays from last season. Also, improving on his attacking play. Very good signing.

James - Average player that has only one noticeable asset: pace. Not a terribly high price though, so I would rate it as an average signing.

Maguire - Good defender but very expensive. He has started playing much better in the last two months, being pretty underwhelming before that. He is a decent signing, but needs to continue and improve to be considered a good one.

Fernandes - Looks like a great signing thus far, but it has only been a short while, so need to hold off on rating this signing.

Overall, Solskjaer/recruitment team has not done bad thus far.
Also Ighalo even though only a loan - which can only be positive . Scoring some goals and offering us a different style in attack.

Untd55

Also Ighalo even though only a loan - which can only be positive . Scoring some goals and offering us a different style in attack.
Forgot about him. Yes, he is a very good short-term signing as well. Seems to have a great finish; I honestly cannot remember him even being at Watford so he has been surprising.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Fernandes is top signing.
AWB despite huge flaw in going forward is very good signing with potential to be top signing.
Ighalo is excellent short term signing.

Maguire is solid signing but that is it. I am sorry but i can't ignore fee. We spent 80 mil on only slight upgrade in what we had. Too many flaws for 80mil defender. To be clear here; he had good season and he will be good fot us in future but still...we could have spend that money better.

James. Not a good signing. Yes, it is harsh to say it but he has pace and that is it. Bang average player. In 37 games he has 4 goals and 7 assists. That is abysmal for United attacker. In this case i don't care how nice lad he is or how big is his work rate. United attacker should not be rated by his passion. United attacker must produce something. And he doesn't. Stats don't lie.

GimmeThatBall_M8_NL

I remember fergie saying he signed both Ashley young and Valencia based on their strong desire to join United.

Well it wasn't for anything else if we are honest.
Sir you are doing them wrong on this one. Both Young and Valencia were very useful until the end.

Ace of Spades

All the signings have been excellent, the young players have room to improve and the established players have had an immediate impact.

A good squad is shaping up.

NoneBmStore

Fernandes is top signing.
AWB despite huge flaw in going forward is very good signing with potential to be top signing.
Ighalo is excellent short term signing.

Maguire is solid signing but that is it. I am sorry but i can't ignore fee. We spent 80 mil on only slight upgrade in what we had. Too many flaws for 80mil defender. To be clear here; he had good season and he will be good fot us in future but still...we could have spend that money better.

James. Not a good signing. Yes, it is harsh to say it but he has pace and that is it. Bang average player. In 37 games he has 4 goals and 7 assists. That is abysmal for United attacker. In this case i don't care how nice lad he is or how big is his work rate. United attacker should not be rated by his passion. United attacker must produce something. And he doesn't. Stats don't lie.
I'd call James a decent signing. If you criticize MacGuire because of the fee James' fee should be considered
I agree with you that the lacks some decision making, that being said, his number of assist could have been significantly higher had Rashdord and especially Martial understood that a striker needs to make runs on crosses!
With a Van Nistelrooy as a striker, he would have been well above 10 assists

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I'd call James a decent signing. If you criticize MacGuire because of the fee James' fee should be considered
I agree with you that the lacks some decision making, that being said, his number of assist could have been significantly higher had Rashdord and especially Martial understood that a striker needs to make runs on crosses!
With a Van Nistelrooy as a striker, he would have been well above 10 assists
I read that often but why do you think that? James doesn't have good cross/low pass. Just in last few games he was in situation to just make low cross to player in the middle and he didn't manage to do that. James is overrated here because he is type of a player who has great working rate and passion plus he is really nice lad so he avoids criticsm because of that.

Of course, as i said in his thread, i have high expectations regarding wingers. Man Utd winger must have skill. Dribble, technique, good finishing. James doesn't have anything of that. He is old school winger for 442 formation (without good crossing ability).

NoneBmStore

I read that often but why do you think that? James doesn't have good cross/low pass. Just in last few games he was in situation to just make low cross to player in the middle and he didn't manage to do that. James is overrated here because he is type of a player who has great working rate and passion plus he is really nice lad so he avoids criticsm because of that.

Of course, as i said in his thread, i have high expectations regarding wingers. Man Utd winger must have skill. Dribble, technique, good finishing. James doesn't have anything of that. He is old school winger for 442 formation (without good crossing ability).
I agree with you in that his decision making in non-crossing situations leave something to desire
But in terms of crossing he'd be in double digits

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Had to bump this. It's shambolic.
Complete knee jerk to yesterdays game. Maguire is going through a shit spell its true, but he was solid for us all of last year - and as importantly was actually able to stay fit and give us some sort of stability in our back line. Ditto AWB.

Godfather

Complete knee jerk to yesterdays game. Maguire is going through a shit spell its true, but he was solid for us all of last year - and as importantly was actually able to stay fit and give us some sort of stability in our back line. Ditto AWB.
Not overly impressed by either of them. Maguire is a 40 mill defender at best. We massively overpayed. AWB is fecking shit going forward and has been wank defending in our opening games this season as well.

James is a Championship level footballer.

Fernandes is the only one that's looking good and he seems to regress under Ole's regime as well.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not overly impressed by either of them. Maguire is a 40 mill defender at best. We massively overpayed. AWB is fecking shit going forward and has been wank defending in our opening games this season as well.

Fernandes is the only one that's looking good and he seems to regress under Ole's regime as well.
This

RUCK4444

Hyperbolic much?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

We overpaid for Maguire yes, but for a young English CB who could be a defensive anchor for a decade, its not the end of the world. A few bad games at the start of the season dont instantly change that.

I agree on AWB - he is poor going forward and im not sure what the solution is, but along with Maguire we went from having a different back four every week (and leaking a lot of goals) to having at least two reliable defenders. Our defensive record last season was good - a lot better than the previous year - and Maguire and AWB were a major part of that.

James was a £15m punt. He was never meant to be first choice or to play as much as he did last season - he only played that much because he had a strong start and looked good. Anyone who was expecting an instant superstar there was deluded.

I stand by what ive always said - Ole's transfers so far have been broadly excellent, and he has similarly gotten rid of a lot of the deadwood that cluttered up our squad for much of the last decade. That said, this transfer window has been an absolute shambles but I am more inclined to believe that that is Woodward's doing than Ole. I dont want Cavani in the slightest, and cant say im that fussed about Telles either.

Lee565

It's not just his transfer record but his rebuilding has been poor, there are plenty of players that should have left that he has kept and players that should have stayed but he got rid of.

As for his transfers -

Fernandes - great impact signing but in open play he has looked below par this season and the back end of last season compared to what he was in the first few months. I am getting worried that he may go the same way as most of our signings and gradually look worse and worse.

Bissaka - awful waste of money, honestly think a fit tuanzebe would be just as good at right back defensively seeing as that what bissaka was brought for.

maguire - a slightly better on the ball version of smalling but with far less mobility, I struggle to remember smalling ever being caught flat footed by attacker like Maguire has on so many occasions.

James - kick and run merchant who is out his depth.

Van der beek - too early to judge, good player at ajax but very odd and wasteful signing considering we are penny pinching in signing players that are much more needed for our first 11.

TrustInJanuzaj

:lol: :lol: oh dear, even at Leicester he wasn't THAT good, even if he was better than he currently is.
I still think this is true. Doesn’t mean he’s incredible but the current state of world Centre Backs means he’s still about as good as it gets. A shocking start to the season changes absolutely nothing!

Untd55

I would argue that he actually made very little difference to our defence. When you include the signing of Wan Bissaka, the decrease in concession rate from the season before was marginal. I seem to remember that we would concede 6 fewer goals than the previous season when you took into account the first half of the season's form).

It wasn't until we signed Fernandes and brought in Matic that our defensive record improved dramatically, not when we signed Maguire. When Maguire joined, we conceded in every PL game for three to four months (from September, I think it was, mid-December; it was a long time either way). It begs the question: did our defence improve at all? Also, was the main issue actually not having a proper AM that allowed us to pin the opposition in their half? Put Smalling in his place, and I think we would have ended up with the same results last season.

Overall, I think Maguire has been a poor signing that may go down as one of our worst (arguably, the worst) in history.

James was a punt that hasn't worked out, so I am not too bothered. He is clearly not good enough, though.

I still think Wan Bissaka is a very useful player to have. One-on-one defending, he is arguably the best in the league, but his attacking play can be dodgy, but he did improve. I like him myself.

Fernandes has been a good signing. Too much of an overreliance on him, though.

GlasgowCeltic

We overpaid for Maguire yes, but for a young English CB who could be a defensive anchor for a decade, its not the end of the world. A few bad games at the start of the season dont instantly change that.
Maguire is 27

Skåre Willoch

It's not just his transfer record but his rebuilding has been poor, there are plenty of players that should have left that he has kept and players that should have stayed but he got rid of.
You don't think Ole wants to get rid of those players as well? Do you honestly think Ole has ever told Woodie or whoever to keep Rojo, Jones and Pereira around? We can't get rid of these guys because we decided to pay them a fortune in wages, and/or they're simply not good enough for other teams to pay the fees we're demanding. You can't sell something nobody wants to buy or can't afford.