Transfer Sums in Football?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
So I was just thinking, nowadays with Inflation or what not average players go for 40M, Promising players go for 80M-150M, Defenders go for 80M and the Stars probably more. As Ronaldo said in a recent interview a 24 year old Ronaldo who recently won a CL, Puskas award, 42 goal season 3 peat league champ etc would probably be worth 400M (as would Messi if he was to be sold) so when does it stop?

How much higher will these absurd fees get too before they drop back down to normality? Or will they just keep rising? how does it work and what would make it drop back down (If it did).

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Whilst there are clubs run by states/sugar daddy billionaires and scrupulous vermin agents the ceiling will continue to rise. Meanwhile back on planet earth Bolton and Bury are struggling for survival. The financial side of the game is rotten to the core.

SportingCP96

Supports
Whilst there are clubs run by states/sugar daddy billionaires and scrupulous vermin agents the ceiling will continue to rise. Meanwhile back on planet earth Bolton and Bury are struggling for survival. The financial side of the game is rotten to the core.
I agree its disgusting the money involved in football. I mean you have players worth more then a lot of clubs. Average players are sold for 40M. That used to be almost enough to buy a Zidane back in the day.

SambaBoy

Some of the fee's in the last 5 years have been mind-boggling but what can you do as a club?

In the PL, you need to survive to continue earning the PL money and appease the fans, and if you want to do even better and maybe challenge for top half/Europe then your investment needs to be even bigger.

Ashley at Newcastle is a business man who doesn't want to put anymore money into Newcastle, but he knows he needs them to remain as a PL team for him to able to sell it at a decent price. Joelinton 10 years ago, would have joined for £6m or around that mark. That was the normal price for a younger player who doesn't have exceptional potential and has had no breakthrough seasons. He knew they needed a striker that was better than Joselu and someone who could replace the goals they lost with Perez, another player who would have went for around £10m. They have signed him as he probably has sell on value even if he doesn't pull up any trees.

Baneofthegame

Pretty much this.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
But not all teams have sugardaddies and still spend 100 million plus. It's to do with the TV income, commercial side and sponsorship continually rising as the top leagues are globalised products.

The only way it would flop is if people stopped paying to watch football for whatever reason. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

It will stop when people reach the point where they wont pay for it anymore.

I actually do not think that is too far off. The value of domestic TV rights has dropped for the first time in almost 20 years.

LVGSdive

I remember when Shearer signed for Newcastle for 15 million thinking this was absurd money. Then it has only gone up and up. I do think at some point it is going to be unsustainable. Logically, the Sky money won't last. Their subscriber base is decreasing, while the rights are significantly rising. I think it will be interesting if Amazon/DAZN/Netflix or any other streaming service can secure the rights. I think long term having lower subscription cost making it more accessible is the way to go, Sky's prices are too high, especially when it's so easy to find a stream.

Drawfull

I remember when Shearer signed for Newcastle for 15 million thinking this was absurd money. Then it has only gone up and up. I do think at some point it is going to be unsustainable. Logically, the Sky money won't last. Their subscriber base is decreasing, while the rights are significantly rising. I think it will be interesting if Amazon/DAZN/Netflix or any other streaming service can secure the rights. I think long term having lower subscription cost making it more accessible is the way to go, Sky's prices are too high, especially when it's so easy to find a stream.
DAZN have the rights in Spain from this season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think eventually transfer fees will largely be wiped out and all bar the super committed players will start signing short contracts then access things at the end whether they resign or go elsewhere, it's already starting slowly with the likes of Ramsey and Herrera doing just that.

Not looking forward to it tbh, will make football even more short term driven than it already is and wages will go out of control.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Well maybe if FFP was designed to prevent owners doing what they've done to Bury and Bolton instead of protecting the status quo those two clubs wouldn't be in this shit, this article from Samuel from 2013 called it and boy he wasn't wrong.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-plot-ruin-Premier-League--Martin-Samuel.html

TheLiverBird

I can't see how people think it will change soon

How?

10 years ago I used to think the same, but then here comes Neymar at £200 Million, and he's not even the best player in the world.

Clubs will continue to pay whatever they want providing no rules are broken and they can feasibly afford it

Business people at the high end of football seem to be smashing down the brain stimulation drugs, because they are nailing this industry to almost absolute perfect from their point of view, the money is flowing like never before.

Its rotten to the core.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Seriously? City inflate "transfer sums"? The facts dont agree tbf.

Pogba Utd £94m
Maguire Utd £78m
Lukaku Utd £76m
VVD Liv £76m
Kepa Che £72m
Pepe Ars £72m
KDB Cty £68m

Football prices and wages are being inflated by the elite teams of Europe and I have to say Utd are one of them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...me-fantasy-land-fees-not-Manchester-City.html

Gopher Brown

So I was just thinking, nowadays with Inflation or what not average players go for 40M, Promising players go for 80M-150M, Defenders go for 80M and the Stars probably more. As Ronaldo said in a recent interview a 24 year old Ronaldo who recently won a CL, Puskas award, 42 goal season 3 peat league champ etc would probably be worth 400M (as would Messi if he was to be sold) so when does it stop?

How much higher will these absurd fees get too before they drop back down to normality? Or will they just keep rising? how does it work and what would make it drop back down (If it did).
Except these aren’t typical figures, these are at the extremes. Maguire was a world record. Most transfers of good players are less than £30m

SportingCP96

Supports
Except these aren’t typical figures, these are at the extremes. Maguire was a world record. Most transfers of good players are less than £30m
Ronaldo went for 80M and he was the best player in the world that offers the most important thing in the Sport which is goals. A defender went for the same amount. The Money in football is broken. Decent players are worth 45M now. While average players or below average are 30M

Gopher Brown

Ronaldo went for 80M and he was the best player in the world that offers the most important thing in the Sport which is goals. A defender went for the same amount. The Money in football is broken. Decent players are worth 45M now. While average players or below average are 30M
That was 11 years ago, and in that 11 years the amount of income clubs are generating has increased a lot. Our revenue has increased from about €330m to over €660m.

Just because you say money in football is broken doesn’t make it true.

The question is, can this be sustained?

AaronRedDevil

Seriously? City inflate "transfer sums"? The facts dont agree tbf.

Pogba Utd £94m
Maguire Utd £78m
Lukaku Utd £76m
VVD Liv £76m
Kepa Che £72m
Pepe Ars £72m
KDB Cty £68m

Football prices and wages are being inflated by the elite teams of Europe and I have to say Utd are one of them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...me-fantasy-land-fees-not-Manchester-City.html
You do know that madrid, city and Chelsea were spending insane money during the saf era. United always bought 1 or 2 players back then for reasonable fees.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
There's more money in the sport nowadays. It's that simple. Higher TV deals, sponsorships, and gate receipts.

SportingCP96

Supports
That was 11 years ago, and in that 11 years the amount of income clubs are generating has increased a lot. Our revenue has increased from about €330m to over €660m.

Just because you say money in football is broken doesn’t make it true.

The question is, can this be sustained?
So my question is do you think it will only get higher and if so until what point? What would make the values start dropping and becoming "normal" ?

Gopher Brown

So my question is do you think it will only get higher and if so until what point? What would make the values start dropping and becoming "normal" ?
A drop in popularity of the sport would have a knock on effect a few years later, although it’s hard to see that because despite scandals like the 2022 WC and bribery its popularity hasn’t really been affected. A succession of poor international tournaments maybe, I don’t know.

But what is ‘normal’ exactly? The transfer fees 5 years ago, 10 years ago? 50 years ago? It’s just because I grew up with transfers in the single-digit millions that I think the current fees are so enormous.

fps

One interesting change as a result is clubs can't get in 5 or 6 players in a summer, because the sums are so outrageous. It seems to be a case of having to add one or two a year.