Transfer Tweets - 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If City don't have a buy back in Maffeo's contract I'd hope we'd take a look at him in a year's time.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Reports are that City have a buyback clause for Maffeo, so everybody can stop arguing. It’s basically a loan deal.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
So is it fair to say we need:

A left back
Centre back
Two central midfielders
A right winger
A right back (debatable)

That would probably be the bare minimum wouldn't it? Can't see us signing 6 players tbh. Hope we're efficient this summer considering the World Cup!

EDIT - Just saw the Times article about us wanting to sign the above list :lol: Disregard, I've only started mulling over transfers now and am obviously a bit late to the party!

AP88

Supports
Man City
The issue is there doesn't seem to be a clear pathway to the first team at City, with all the investment going into the academy this has to be addressed.
Yeah, he did a complete man marking job on him, for the whole game. There was a good video on it. He was very diligent and stuck to his task with aplomb, but I can’t remember him being lauded for any other performances particularly? But I get the frustration when Danilo is ahead of him, but he ain’t that bad either!

With Sancho fair enough , but my point kinda still stands. He was behind YPOTY, Sterling, who hit 23 this year and Bernardo silva. It’s not like pogba where we saw Park and Rafael ahead of him, they are legitimate reasons. It’s not like he didn’t rate him, he wanted him on tour.
I don’t think it was Sane, Sterling and even Bernardo that made Sancho look elsewhere; last summer Pep clearly wanted Sanchez as well, which would have made it impossible for him to get any kind of viable opportunity on the left.

Foden starred for England u17 as an inverting right winger, the same role that would likely maximise Diaz’s talent too, but what happened? Pep signed Bernardo to play the same role for £50m, aware it’d hinder their developmental opportunities. That’s without even factoring in Patrick Roberts, another identical player. What Bernardo has contributed, any of the aforementioned 3 could have too. Sir Alex generally used academy players as squad fillers, Pep buys them for huge fees.

Tyrese Campbell left a few years ago after the signing of the inferior Lorenzo Gonazalez, and is developing nicely at Stoke; Bobby Duncan fecked them off too. The best talents at the club are realising that there is no intention to integrate them; the league has been won for a month yet neither Foden nor Diaz have been started.

Maffeo looks like the real deal, and underlines that if he can’t make it there, nobody will. The club is a vulgar Arabian circus.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It is not about what Maffeo has done, but what he will do in the future. Just like with Pogba or De Bruyne. I watched him live against Madrid at the Bernabeu and that kid was heads and shoulders above the rest of his team.

With Sancho, Pep should have shown him a clear route to the first team. Why did he have to buy Bernardo Silva only to have a 50m player on the bench? Couldn't Sancho have done that job, coming on in the last 10 mins and playing games in the cups? It is not like City would have less success without Bernardo this season. And don't come at me with them playing different positions, Bernardo was nearly always used on the wing at City.

That last sentence is pure bullshit. Sir Alex won the 2013 title without Pogba, but in the grand scheme of things, him letting Pogba go costed his team several years of midfield problems and hundred million quid to bring him back. Chelsea fans are crying tears these days about Mou letting De Bruyne go, despite them winning 2 titles in the last 4 years. You don't see the issue there?
OK fair enough you rate Maffeo as good as a prospect as de Bruyne and pogba were, I’d have to disagree, but you’ve probably seen more of him than me.

Fair enough with Sancho, but maybe he couldn’t be certain a 20 year old Sane would be as consistent as he was and needed more experienced cover. This does seem all very hindsightish.

Again, your saying pep is going to cause a RB crisis for years to come because they let go of maffeo?. With pogba, it’s not like we couldn’t sign anyone else instead, that was just poor that we didn’t sign anyone else, kept bringing scholes out of retirement, on top of letting him go. I think this is just becoming hyperbolic.

Also, if the above is true about the buy back clause, problem solved.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
If City don't have a buy back in Maffeo's contract I'd hope we'd take a look at him in a year's time.
City have no buy-back clause, according to Paul Hirst.

Look at the answers below his tweet, there is just a sell-on clause but no buy-back.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Look at the answers below his tweet, there is just a sell-on clause but no buy-back.
Thanks. No buy back clause makes things easier but also shows to me that City probably don't have the intention of buying him back, he's very highly rated. Was brilliant against us in the league cup, never stopped running. Heard he also had 2 very impressive seasons at Girona Germany's a great place for young talent these days, hope we keep our eye on him.

CA1

Not sure about that. Foden is a die hard City fan and if there are two players in their academy the City hierarchy will want to play for their first team it will be him and Tommy Doyle.
Foden's family are all United fans. I know because I know them.

Foden is a City fan because he's played for them for years. He's not a die hard City fan.

He will leave if he doesn't get the chances.

Irrational.

I don’t think it was Sane, Sterling and even Bernardo that made Sancho look elsewhere; last summer Pep clearly wanted Sanchez as well, which would have made it impossible for him to get any kind of viable opportunity on the left.

Foden starred for England u17 as an inverting right winger, the same role that would likely maximise Diaz’s talent too, but what happened? Pep signed Bernardo to play the same role for £50m, aware it’d hinder their developmental opportunities. That’s without even factoring in Patrick Roberts, another identical player. What Bernardo has contributed, any of the aforementioned 3 could have too. Sir Alex generally used academy players as squad fillers, Pep buys them for huge fees.

Tyrese Campbell left a few years ago after the signing of the inferior Lorenzo Gonazalez, and is developing nicely at Stoke; Bobby Duncan fecked them off too. The best talents at the club are realising that there is no intention to integrate them; the league has been won for a month yet neither Foden nor Diaz have been started.

Maffeo looks like the real deal, and underlines that if he can’t make it there, nobody will. The club is a vulgar Arabian circus.
Great post. Agree 100%.

Beaucoup

The way they're stockpiling young talent at every age group, this is only going to get worse.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Foden's family are all United fans. I know because I know them.

Foden is a City fan because he's played for them for years. He's not a die hard City fan.

He will leave if he doesn't get the chances.
his mum's a City fan too, but I believe he'll get the chances, he's only 17 so there is no mad rush and he's now* part of the first team squad. Reckon he'll get 8-10 league appearances next season then maybe go to Girona for a season.

*edited not to now

mav_9me

I just don't understand why Foden or Diaz could not have been given more chances once the league was won. Either of them starting or getting 30 mins once game is won is not going to derail their chances at getting 100 points.

Same with us not giving a chance to Chong on the last day for 15 mins, a taste of things. At least on the bench? No?

I don't get it.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I just don't understand why Foden or Diaz could not have been given more chances once the league was won. Either of them starting or getting 30 mins once game is won is not going to derail their chances at getting 100 points.

Same with us not giving a chance to Chong on the last day for 15 mins, a taste of things. At least on the bench? No?

I don't get it.
I'm miffed as well, but in retrospect - looking at all the team sheets for the final game of the season throughout the league - it wasn't really an unorthodox site. Even teams which had nothing to play for hardly tried any youngsters out.

Alabaster Codify7

I think, without wishing to sound like we're just looking for any stick to beat City with, we can safely put to bed the 'Pep and Youth' myth.

They've had the league won for fecking months and he hasn't given barely any youth a chance/run out.

Chequebook manager, just like all the others. Jose included.

crossy1686

career ending

I don't get it.
Because Pep is only thinking about himself and his CV. Jose gets shit for giving a youth player his managers award because it's an ego trip but Pep won't even put a youth player on the bench. Saint Pep can do no wrong obviously, and when he leaves he won't be harping on about the number of talents he's developed, he'll only be talking about record points totals and trophies.

mav_9me

Pep's a very vain man. Having his name up in lights next to records is more important to him than developing young players.
I feel they are not mutually exclusive. Giving Foden minutes does not mean they will lose the games or tie them. Surely there were games where they won with time left where he could play? I don't follow them obviously so I don't know.

I'm miffed as well, but in retrospect - looking at all the team sheets for the final game of the season throughout the league - it wasn't really an unorthodox site. Even teams which had nothing to play for hardly tried any youngsters out.
While it may be in line with other clubs, I don't see why it has to be that way. The only thing I can think is Jose didn't feel Chong was deserving of minutes and I wouldn't give minutes just for the sake of giving minutes. They have to be earned too. Having said that I thought he was deserving of it.

Because Pep is only thinking about himself and his CV. Jose gets shit for giving a youth player his managers award because it's an ego trip but Pep won't even put a youth player on the bench. Saint Pep can do no wrong obviously, and when he leaves he won't be harping on about the number of talents he's developed, he'll only be talking about record points totals and trophies.
I guess.

ash_86

Have to agree with this. If this had happened at United , fans would be lining up with pitchforks in front of OT

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think the likes of Sane, Jesus, Sterling, Zinchenko may have something to argue with you there, have they not been developed?

With regard to youth from the academy, if he doesn't think they're up to the job then that's for him to decide, he's there to win trophies short term and if he doesn't want to do it with youth then that's his prerogative though most City fans would like to see youth given a chance just like Jose, Pep won't be judged on which youth from the academy got a fair crack of the whip, he'll be judged on what he's won.

I'd rather sell players at 20/21 and have buy back clauses then leave them in the u23 gumph or keep sending them out on loan, though like a load of City fans am a bit miffed at why Angelino wasn't deemed good enough to be Walkers understudy but there are people who know far more about these players than me so I'm not going to argue with decisions like that.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I feel they are not mutually exclusive. Giving Foden minutes does not mean they will lose the games or tie them. Surely there were games where they won with time left where he could play? I don't follow them obviously so I don't know.

While it may be in line with other clubs, I don't see why it has to be that way. The only thing I can think is Jose didn't feel Chong was deserving of minutes and I wouldn't give minutes just for the sake of giving minutes. They have to be earned too. Having said that I thought he was deserving of it.

I guess.
Yesterday at 0-0 with 15 mins to go he brought on Diaz and Foden... Foden is only 17 so I'm not concerned he's not getting loads of mins, how many 17 year olds did Jose play this season?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And money spent.

crossy1686

career ending
I think the likes of Sane, Jesus, Sterling, Zinchenko may have something to argue with you there, have they not been developed?

With regard to youth from the academy, if he doesn't think they're up to the job then that's for him to decide, he's there to win trophies short term and if he doesn't want to do it with youth then that's his prerogative though most City fans would like to see youth given a chance just like Jose, Pep won't be judged on which youth from the academy got a fair crack of the whip, he'll be judged on what he's won.

I'd rather sell players at 20/21 and have buy back clauses then leave them in the u23 gumph or keep sending them out on loan, though like a load of City fans am a bit miffed at why Angelino wasn't deemed good enough to be Walkers understudy but there are people who know far more about these players than me so I'm not going to argue with decisions like that.
Pep didn't develop them, he bought them from another team that had nurtured their talent to the point where they are consistently able to show a trait that Pep thought would suit his team and the way he wants to play, if you put most of those players in the United team they wouldn't perform as well, not because they're not good players but because they have the right skill set for what Pep needs them for.

Personally, I don't care that Pep doesn't develop City's youth, it will only hold them back in years to come. The money won't last forever and replacing an ageing squad isn't cheap. Pep will ride off into the sunset spending some other Arabs money and all City's best youth talent will have left.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yesterday at 0-0 with 15 mins to go he brought on Diaz and Foden... Foden is only 17 so I'm not concerned he's not getting loads of mins, how many 17 year olds did Jose play this season?
From the academy we had TFM Lingard Rashford Mctominay and Tuanzebe all get minutes. So stop living up to your username and think before you type. Pep has given no academy players at City a shot as yet. I’m not saying that’s right or wrong as I’d prefer the league title if being honest but if you are going to take aim at our manager, at least argue sense.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Pep didn't develop them, he bought them from another team that had nurtured their talent to the point where they are consistently able to show a trait that Pep thought would suit his team and the way he wants to play, if you put most of those players in the United team they wouldn't perform as well, not because they're not good players but because they have the right skill set for what Pep needs them for.

Personally, I don't care that Pep doesn't develop City's youth, it will only hold them back in years to come. The money won't last forever and replacing an ageing squad isn't cheap. Pep will ride off into the sunset spending some other Arabs money and all City's best youth talent will have left.
can't agree with that, he's improved them beyond what they were and it's also not Pep's job to develop the youth players, it's the academy's job to get them to the first team then it's Pep's job to develop them from there.

Think this is getting off topic so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

crossy1686

career ending
can't agree with that, he's improved them beyond what they were and it's also not Pep's job to develop the youth players, it's the academy's job to get them to the first team then it's Pep's job to develop them from there.

Think this is getting off topic so we'll just have to agree to disagree.
They've played well but have they actually improved? We'll see when the represent their national teams this summer, and if it's sustained next season, if they have actually developed as footballers and aren't just playing well in a system that suits them.

If it's not Pep's job to bring youth players into the first team and nurture their talent then you might as well shut down your academy today because if he doesn't give a shit you bet no one else does. What must the youth coaches think? Imagine having a job where your boss doesn't see the point in your existence?

Agreed, don't want to derail this thread further.

cyberman

You'll get Pep defenders starting down the "But Jose..." tired road again (feck sake) but this post is spot on.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Thanks. No buy back clause makes things easier but also shows to me that City probably don't have the intention of buying him back, he's very highly rated. Was brilliant against us in the league cup, never stopped running. Heard he also had 2 very impressive seasons at Girona Germany's a great place for young talent these days, hope we keep our eye on him.
There is buy back clause

Status
Not open for further replies.