Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rish Sawhney

If Martial or Rashford get injured we are extremely light. However I think buying another young striker isn’t the answer.

Why are we focusing on buying a striker when we clearly need two midfielders and a RW. Ole ignored central midfield in the summer and seems to be doing it again.
Yeah its the SAF way. Why get a midfield when you can just get another striker? :drool:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If Martial or Rashford get injured we are extremely light. However I think buying another young striker isn’t the answer.

Why are we focusing on buying a striker when we clearly need two midfielders and a RW. Ole ignored central midfield in the summer and seems to be doing it again.
When Martial was out injured earlier in the season we struggled to score. Average was less than a goal a game.

Josep Dowling

When Martial was out injured earlier in the season we struggled to score. Average was less than a goal a game.
I agree but as I said buying a 19 year old striker for me is not the answer. No matter how much talent Haaland appears to have he is still playing in the Austrian league. It’s still a big risk he can’t step up.

But saying that I can’t suggest an experienced option that isn’t going to cost £60m plus.

If we get Sancho as well our front line is a made up of 19 to 21 year olds. I think you need at least one experienced player in there.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

So because we're buying a striker we're ignoring midfield? Maybe we plan to buy for both areas of the pitch?

dutchred

Don't know if he is ignoring it. Maybe just waiting for the right person. Paying 20M for Haaland is a bargain. Even if it doesnt work out.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I agree but as I said buying a 19 year old striker for me is not the answer. No matter how much talent Haaland appears to have he is still playing in the Austrian league. It’s still a big risk he can’t step up.

But saying that I can’t suggest an experienced option that isn’t going to cost £60m plus.

If we get Sancho as well our front line is a made up of 19 to 21 year olds. I think you need at least one experienced player in there.
Martial and Rashford are pretty experienced now to be fair. I know what you're saying, having a 26-28 year old who's won titles would be useful. But they wouldn't be happy sitting on the bench.

Josep Dowling

So because we're buying a striker we're ignoring midfield? Maybe we plan to buy for both areas of the pitch?
Well we haven’t been linked with any midfielders that can be obtained in January. There is no chance of getting Maddison in the winter. Have you seen any links to realistic midfield targets? The media are not that far away these days.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Do we really need him? Our attack and defence is in good shape apart from possibly another LW. It's the midfield that needs beefing up. Everyone knows that. How much game time would he get and at whose expense?
Yes, our weakest part is midfield, but that doesn't mean we are OK in attack, either.

We severely lack depth in our attack. Any one of Martial, Dan James, or Rashford gets injured and we are screwed. Specifically for the CF position – Greenwood is a great talent, but he can't play week-in-week-out if Martial gets injured, and we will be seriously hurt. And Martial is quite injury-prone, so buying Haaland is a smart decision. Not to mention that he is a different kind of striker from Martial/Greenwood, offering options in attack depending on who we are playing and how we need to break down their defense.

enurs

We should really get Hwang Hee-chan from Red Bull Salzburg before Liverpool buys him + Haaland. Imagine Hwang as our new nr 10 linked up with Haaland, Rashford and James.
That’s a line up no one in PL can stop. Check out Hwang and also, his like a new Son and we can get him for pocket money, 50 mill for both?

Hoof the ball

Tier 1 Source for me, the guy who broke the Daniel James transfer a month before everyone. It makes sense if Sane leaves.

This was always going to be the case. He's the hottest realistically available property in football today. I read that we were "confident that we were in the lead" to sign sign him. I don't know what drove that confidence, to be honest. We're a team in transition with no real guarantee to be playing in the CL next season. All it takes is any of Bayern, Barça, Man City, Liverpool, PsG, etc, do declare their interest publicly and we're pushed back in that queue.

What made us believe that we were going to get a free run at a kid this good? If we get him, it'll be an incredible coup for us, but I don't think we've got any reason to believe we're favourites.

pascell

Tier 1 Source for me, the guy who broke the Daniel James transfer a month before everyone. It makes sense if Sane leaves.

Kajumba has close ties with the Sancho camp too, got his transfer to Dortmund first, had Sancho first interview in Germany and his contract renewal. This is what I feared and makes him even harder for us to obtain.

Makes sense too as I'm guessing Bernardo Silva will drop in where David Silva plays, freeing up the RW spot.

theklr

Think its a combination of Martial’s injury history and a deal that is just too good to pass on. Dont think they are that focused on a striker anymore now that Greenwood is making strides

Besides, if he comes for 20 mill., it’ not like it’s gonna take away much funds from other signing.

Lemansky

If Sancho wants to start every game, City ain't the club for him. Their squad will only get more stacked due to their bottomless pile of cash.
Don’t fear City getting him. He ain’t a major upgrade on what they have. Sane probably is the superior player.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Yes, our weakest part is midfield, but that doesn't mean we are OK in attack, either.

We severely lack depth in our attack. Any one of Martial, Dan James, or Rashford gets injured and we are screwed. Specifically for the CF position – Greenwood is a great talent, but he can't play week-in-week-out if Martial gets injured, and we will be seriously hurt. And Martial is quite injury-prone, so buying Haaland is a smart decision. Not to mention that he is a different kind of striker from Martial/Greenwood, offering options in attack depending on who we are playing and how we need to break down their defense.
Is Haaland going to be happy/wise going from regular football to limited football at a bigger club though? Yeah it would be great for United to have him on board but no so good for him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Is Haaland going to be happy/wise going from regular football to limited football at a bigger club though? Yeah it would be great for United to have him on board but no so good for him.
Not sure why people think he will get limited football here. I actually think he’ll start alot. He is the no9 Ole probably knows and trusts the most out of him Martial and Greenwood

NewGlory

Calm down, troops. They are working on midfielders, too. It's just that those may not be available in January, and we may have to wait till the Summer... Or maybe not, according to these guys:

NewGlory

Not sure why people think he will get limited football here. I actually think he’ll start alot. He is the no9 Ole probably knows and trusts the most out of him Martial and Greenwood
Haaland is not going to start in front of Martial unless Martial is injured or being rested. That's crazy talk.

There are formations with two CFs that we could play, by the way - esp. if we are trying to break down some bus-parking sides, you know – the kinds we seem to struggle with the most.

No big club is going to put Haaland in a starting 11. At some point he has to graduate from where he is and join big leagues. At least in England, teams play so many games that he will be playing a lot. And it sucks to say, but with how injury-prone Martial is - Haaland has better starting chances coming to United than going to the likes of Liverpool or City. Where else would he go?

Last edited:

Baneofthegame

Calm down, troops. They are working on midfielders, too. It's just that those may not be available in January, and we may have to wait till the Summer... Or maybe not, according to these guys:

Why would they sell Maddison in January?

RedPed

Whatabouter.

How can Ole trust him when he doesn't even play for him? Is Haaland any better than Greenwood who's already proving himself at United?

Alabaster Codify7

Haaland aside, nobody worth their salt is going to be available in January. I'm expecting nothing. Sancho just strikes me as a pipedream, I'm sure he's probably not ruled us out but the fact is come the summer, we won't be getting a clear run at him and I'd expect our rivals will be more attractive immediate options for him. Personally I see him at Liverpool, I can't convince myself otherwise. I think they'll sell Salah this summer.

gajender

Haaland aside, nobody worth their salt is going to be available in January. I'm expecting nothing. Sancho just strikes me as a pipedream, I'm sure he's probably not ruled us out but the fact is come the summer, we won't be getting a clear run at him and I'd expect our rivals will be more attractive immediate options for him. Personally I see him at Liverpool, I can't convince myself otherwise. I think they'll sell Salah this summer.
I have never understood this kind of thinking
If Sancho wants to come here it won't matter what other options he has or whether we have clear run at him or not he would simply choose us it would be just the matter of agreeing fee with Dortmund.

Cassidy

How can Ole trust him when he doesn't even play for him? Is Haaland any better than Greenwood who's already proving himself at United?
He played for him at Molde. The last part is a bit of a silly question

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

To replace a left winger with a right winger? And why would Sancho go back to City without the guaranteed playing time? Realistically Pep isn't really going to stick around for much longer beyond this season. I'd understand if Sancho was a local lad or something, but he isn't.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I thought people were joking initially with these comparisons but it appears not :lol:

Cassidy

To replace a left winger with a right winger? And why would Sancho go back to City without the guaranteed playing time? Realistically Pep isn't really going to stick around for much longer beyond this season. I'd understand if Sancho was a local lad or something, but he isn't.
Sancho plays LW too... he actually looks better there from what I have seen.

Cassidy

Haaland is not going to start in front of Martial unless Martial is injured or being rested. That's crazy talk
In terms of being a player who is in the box and anticipating scoring chances. Martial just isn't that player. I would not be surprised to see Martial lose his spot to Haaland before the end of the season. Or Martial played as the 10 and a link player

We could of course play a 2 striker system too. But the type of finisher and in the box striker Haaland is, I can see him starting quicker than most think

NewGlory

In terms of being a player who is in the box and anticipating scoring chances. Martial just isn't that player. I would not be surprised to see Martial lose his spot to Haaland before the end of the season. Or Martial played as the 10 and a link player

We could of course play a 2 striker system too. But the type of finisher and in the box striker Haaland is, I can see him starting quicker than most think
Sure. If he proves himself the spot is his. I just meant - he will have to prove himself.

Also agree with you 100% about the style differences between Martial and Haaland. Ironically, many people seem to think that Ole's system doesn't favor in-the-box poacher. Some argue that was partly why Lukaku had to leave, he was too much of that kind of player. I think Ole is more multi-dimensional than that kind of black-and-white picture, and having both kinds of strikers gives us more options to break-down different kinds of opponents. Clearly, we are struggling with being too predictable, right now.

Bottomline - Haaland is a bit of a gamble, but it's a good gamble and no more of a gamble than Dan James recruitment was. I think, most would agree that Dan James has ended up being a fantastic addition, even if he's still developing. Hopefully we'll feel the same about Haaland, soon.

izec

That is the problem with focusing on Sancho and letting other players join other teams. Since a year now people think that Sancho would be a certainty, but without CL football, he wont join, that is a cert. even with CL football, it is open. We now have Chelsea and City to compete with domestically. I hope the club has some backup options. Chiesa should be high on the list

redshaw

Sancho has just got Dortmund to the next stage of the CL in Feb. He won't be going anywhere in Jan. They'll be no getting a free run before the summer.

With Maddison links, I doubt it during the season with the run they're on but I wonder if we've agreed to sell Pogba to Madrid for ~100m and we've sold Maddison on replacing him. Really I see Pogba leaving at the end of the season and potential high profile players waiting to see how we finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.