Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
His career has been amazingly successful but somehow still disappointing. When he was tearing up the PL with Spurs I had him earmarked as a proper grassroots lad with pure love of the game. But he really doesn’t seem too bothered about being valued or playing any more
Why should he, he gets paid an absolute fortune for not doing very much at all.

hubbuh

Why didn't Ighalo go back to China? Why doesn't every top level player sack it all off to go play in China, the US etc. Maybe cos a lot of footballers actually don't half mind football?

shahzy

So he only plays for the cash and not actually enjoying football? Because that's what he comes across as. I mean I'm not judging either way but it is what it is

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
His career has been amazingly successful but somehow still disappointing. When he was tearing up the PL with Spurs I had him earmarked as a proper grassroots lad with pure love of the game. But he really doesn’t seem too bothered about being valued or playing any more
I suspect it says a lot about the experience of playing for Real Madrid (for some players).

Last edited:

Red Stone

I thought he had already finished his career at Madrid. Happy to sit on the bench and rake in the £££ than go somewhere and actually prove himself as a big part of a team,
- Scored match winning goals in two separate Champions League finals
- Converted a penalty in the shootout of another Champions League final, which they eventually won
- Played in and won yet another Champions League final
- Scored a match winning goal in a Copa del Rey final
- Scored over 100 goals in total
- Needs to prove himself

Paula

Supports
Bayern
according to SportBild, which is quite reliable for Transfers in Germany, Timo Werner just signed for Chelsea.

Member 90887

He's more interested in golf these days allegedly
Well, not allegedly.
He said in a recent interview (a couple of weeks ago) that football is just a job for him and that he loves golfing, that he does that whenever he has time.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Isn’t Havertz Bayern Munich bound or have I missed something?
I think he will end up there. Sane will be their major signing this year and probably Havertz next year. They are going to be a real force again in Europe.

Walters_19_MuFc

Had a feeling Chelsea would go for Werner. Be interesting to see how he gets on if the deal goes through. Also, what does it mean for Abraham, who, before his injury, was amongst the top goalscorers in the league? Does Frank try them both together? I know he quite often played a diamond back at Derby. Does he use Werner as a wide forward in a 433/4231, or does he simply just have them both battle a place out?

As a big England fan, it'd be nice to see Tammy continue his growth, as I felt he's done considerably well, especially as its his first season. I guess time will tell.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Had a feeling Chelsea would go for Werner. Be interesting to see how he gets on if the deal goes through. Also, what does it mean for Abraham, who, before his injury, was amongst the top goalscorers in the league? Does Frank try them both together? I know he quite often played a diamond back at Derby. Does he use Werner as a wide forward in a 433/4231, or does he simply just have them both battle a place out?

As a big England fan, it'd be nice to see Tammy continue his growth, as I felt he's done considerably well, especially as its his first season. I guess time will tell.
I think it will depend entirely on the opponent. Tammy really struggles against low blocks and parked busses. When space is very limited and there are multiple CB's marking him he's basically useless. Having a different sort of forward could come in handy in those circumstances. Gives us a different set up.

And yes, I definitely think Werner and Tammy can play together effectively.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
When Werner started out, he was a wide forward who'd be a big threat in space, particularly in counterattacks. In Leipzig, he is always in a front 2 with a target man (recently, Poulsen or Schick). He is always at his best when he had the freedom to roam around into spaces, whether out wide or deeper in central areas. When he played as a lone striker (mostly for Germany), he hasn't been as influential. He becomes more predictable and easier to contain.

In Chelsea, I wouldn't be surprised if Lampard eventually sets up a front 2 with Werner and Abraham/whoever else. I also wouldn't be surprised if he plays as one of wider players in a front 3 in a free role (like Pedro). I actually think he might be coming in to replace Pedro and will offer Lampard the flexibility to switch between various formations if required.

izec

Werner was available for just over 50m and Liverpool turned it down. Do you think they will cough up the money for Sancho who will cost possibly double that?
They only need to strengthen punctually, maybe they thought Werner wasn't really needed. I am not sure they will go for Sancho, but i can see them go for Havertz more to be honest.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think it will depend entirely on the opponent. Tammy really struggles against low blocks and parked busses. When space is very limited and there are multiple CB's marking him he's basically useless. Having a different sort of forward could come in handy in those circumstances. Gives us a different set up.

And yes, I definitely think Werner and Tammy can play together effectively.
Good to hear from a Chelsea fan. Based on what @mazhar13 said however, it sounds like Werner would be just as useless against low block teams. Maybe Lampard has got plans of playing them together. Either way, it allows for quite a lot of tactical flexibility.

When Werner started out, he was a wide forward who'd be a big threat in space, particularly in counterattacks. In Leipzig, he is always in a front 2 with a target man (recently, Poulsen or Schick). He is always at his best when he had the freedom to roam around into spaces, whether out wide or deeper in central areas. When he played as a lone striker (mostly for Germany), he hasn't been as influential. He becomes more predictable and easier to contain.

In Chelsea, I wouldn't be surprised if Lampard eventually sets up a front 2 with Werner and Abraham/whoever else. I also wouldn't be surprised if he plays as one of wider players in a front 3 in a free role (like Pedro). I actually think he might be coming in to replace Pedro and will offer Lampard the flexibility to switch between various formations if required.
Wouldn't surprise me either. I don't watch Werner all the time, but from what you explained, he sounds similar to Rashford, in that he is a better player when able to roam, as opposed to being that focal point up top.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
They only need to strengthen punctually, maybe they thought Werner wasn't really needed. I am not sure they will go for Sancho, but i can see them go for Havertz more to be honest.
That would be better than Werner IMO.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I think/hope Lamps is thinking of using Werner as sort of our very own Son from Spurs. Can play across the attack, awesome pace and energy, and is a fantastic goal threat. Just as Son is deployed with a target man in Kane, Werner can be played together with Tammy.

Walters_19_MuFc

Perhaps they're saving money for the pursuit of Sancho, instead.
If Werner went to Liverpool it would mean 1 of 3 things:

1) One of their front three is off
2) Klopp is changing formation
3) Werner a squad player

I believe the most realistic would have been option three, and for that reason, that's probably why Liverpool and Werner couldn't agree a deal.

It would be exactly the same situation for Sancho.

Klopp only wants players to boost his squad. Sancho, Werner, Havertz are not going to Liverpool to be squad players.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'll be honest the little I've seen of Werner I haven't seen the hype. He was pretty poor against Spurs from what I recall but his figures in Germany are fantastic and he's got a good scoring record internationally so I assume he's just not been impressive when I've seen him.

Good business from Chelsea.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Havertz seems more like the type of player they may "need". With him, they can switch from their 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1 if they want

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Good to hear from a Chelsea fan. Based on what @mazhar13 said however, it sounds like Werner would be just as useless against low block teams. Maybe Lampard has got plans of playing them together. Either way, it allows for quite a lot of tactical flexibility.
That used to be case. This season, however, he's improved his passing by quite a bit, making him a threat against low blocks as well. Against those sides, he plays more like a #10 than a centre forward, dropping into the midfield to pick up the ball and disrupt the opposition's shape. His passing has gotten quicker and more precise, too, making it tougher to contain him when he roams around. It also helps that he has two very good wide threats and midfield runners to occupy the opposition, but with Chelsea's fluidity, I wouldn't be surprised if Werner thrives in that team. Their most attacking midfielder frequently makes runs into the box; the full backs push high up regularly; they also have good wide threats.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
"Tonali prefers a move to Inter and soon Inter and Brescia will negotiate a fee"

Translation may not be 100% accurate.

croadyman

Would we have preferred Werner going to Liverpool or Chelsea as it wasn't going to be us

Status
Not open for further replies.