Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace of Spades

Well, hope that is true. Nothing against him as an individual, but he is very average right now.

Walters_19_MuFc

Mata has been a decent enough servant for the club, but think this would the right time to move him on, along with Pereira and Lingard. Bring in a versatile attacker to replace them.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
According to news in Turkey.

Yes please!

Unpopular opinion, but I’d rather keep Pereira as backup instead of Mata. He’s past his prime and we’re paying him way too much to sit on the bench.

Ever since this pandemic started I’m all for lowering our wage expenditure.

Mata/Sanchez/Lingard need to go before anyone else.

SinNombre

We don't need to keep Pereira or Mata (or Lingard).

They all have some value and we should finally monetize it.

Same for Smalling, Rojo, Jones and potentially Axel, Dalot and TFM.

georgipep

Yes please!

Unpopular opinion, but I’d rather keep Pereira as backup instead of Mata. He’s past his prime and we’re paying him way too much to sit on the bench.

Ever since this pandemic started I’m all for lowering our wage expenditure.

Mata/Sanchez/Lingard need to go before anyone else.
I agree on lowering the wages budget but will definitely miss his intelligent movement and runs in behind. Pereira and Lingard seem completely incapable of doing those (for now). But! If we are to buy a Grealish-type player, then it makes a lot of sense.

If we sell Lingard and Mata, leaving Pereira, Bruno and this new "Grealish" player I'd be happy still.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I thought he signed a 1 year extension a few months ago :lol:
3 years seems a bit lengthy though
Yeah 3 years seems mental to me. Should be 2 at max. I'd expect a really good season from him next season, with his level drastically dropping from that point, so you'd hope we was bringing someone through at that point.

Only thing I can think is we've got a slot of promising youngsters in our academy that could come through to play that position, along with seeing what Fred and McTominay develop into.

Tiber

A few months ago this would have blown my mind. But his form has earned more time. Seems odd that it isn't a one year extension with an option for a further year.

However, recent good form doesn't void years of underachievement, nor does it make him any younger. With respect to all of Matic, McTominay and Fred - signing a top class CM remains vital imo as we attempt to catch up with the suburb Liverpool and City squads - both of which will improve over the next window.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I agree on lowering the wages budget but will definitely miss his intelligent movement and runs in behind. Pereira and Lingard seem completely incapable of doing those (for now). But! If we are to buy a Grealish-type player, then it makes a lot of sense.

If we sell Lingard and Mata, leaving Pereira, Bruno and this new "Grealish" player I'd be happy still.
I agree!

I just think Pereira still has room for improvement but I don’t feel that way about Lingard.

Mata’s runs can be exquisite sometimes but I just feel he’s way past his prime now and sometimes it’s a liability to have him on the pitch. He used to be reliable for his goal scoring creation but even that hasn’t been as frequent as it used to be.

Grealish is a must buy this summer specially if Villa get relegated.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I thought he signed a 1 year extension a few months ago :lol:
3 years seems a bit lengthy though
Yeah 3 years seems mental to me. Should be 2 at max. I'd expect a really good season from him next season, with his level drastically dropping from that point, so you'd hope we was bringing someone through at that point.

Only thing I can think is we've got a slot of promising youngsters in our academy that could come through to play that position, along with seeing what Fred and McTominay develop into.
I think if he’s managed well, 3 years isn’t THAT bad. Midfielders eventually evolve their game and adapt to changes well.

Modric, Scholes, Carrick are all players that come to my mind who have played well into their 30s.

Matic will be 34 once this contract ends and he obviously won’t end up playing a ton of games so it’s not all that bad in my opinion.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Crazy to think he'll have more games for United than Chelsea when he finishes, who'd have thought that?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Sorry to anyone getting their hopes up, the Turkey stuff has been bollocks in the past few years. Remember when Fellaini was nailed on to Fenerbache?

georgipep

I agree!

I just think Pereira still has room for improvement but I don’t feel that way about Lingard.

Mata’s runs can be exquisite sometimes but I just feel he’s way past his prime now and sometimes it’s a liability to have him on the pitch. He used to be reliable for his goal scoring creation but even that hasn’t been as frequent as it used to be.

Grealish is a must buy this summer specially if Villa get relegated.
Agree on both Pereira having room and ability to improve, and Grealish being a very important target this "summer". I hope we don't end up in a bidding war with City. I hope Pep has someone from elsewhere lined up to fill the David Silva void.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Agree on both Pereira having room and ability to improve, and Grealish being a very important target this "summer". I hope we don't end up in a bidding war with City. I hope Pep has someone from elsewhere lined up to fill the David Silva void.
Pretty sure Bernardo Silva & Phil Foden are supposed to help fill the void?

There’s Gundogan too but he is also backup for Rodri.

fanutd

That's his form out of the window then
Not sure if it’s said in jest. But his form does improve/drop off with defining moments. He started like a house on fire when he first joined us. Then again when Ole was hired and now again as he is playing for a new contract. Really hope it stays in the same rich vein of form but something makes me feel like what you’re saying is the more likely outcome. Here is to hoping we are both proven wrong.

SecondFig

We don't need to keep Pereira or Mata (or Lingard).

They all have some value and we should finally monetize it.

Same for Smalling, Rojo, Jones and potentially Axel, Dalot and TFM.
No way we'll ship out 10 players (you left out Alexis) this summer. But if we can find buyers/agree terms then I do expect Rojo, Smalling, Alexis, Mata, and Lingard to leave. And to be honest, if we can bring in a new CB then I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones off too.

meamth

1 more year of playing huge role, another 1 year on the bench, and then one more year as player coach. I'll take that.

AgentP

I think if he’s managed well, 3 years isn’t THAT bad. Midfielders eventually evolve their game and adapt to changes well.

Modric, Scholes, Carrick are all players that come to my mind who have played well into their 30s.

Matic will be 34 once this contract ends and he obviously won’t end up playing a ton of games so it’s not all that bad in my opinion.
Adding to the examples you have given, Fernandinho is 35 now and still playing well. Pirlo at Juventus is another one that comes to mind. I believe Matic will also be able to play at a very high level till 35.

SAFMUTD

We dont seem to learn, we should give players over 30 one or two year deals maximum. Matic is playing really good at the moment but we all know he doesnt maintain the performances for the whole season, his legs are going and 3 years time is a hell lot of time.

We may be calling him deadwood in a year time for all we know.

He's about to turn 32 so can anyone imagine a 35 year old Matic playing at a high level?

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Adding to the examples you have given, Fernandinho is 35 now and still playing well. Pirlo at Juventus is another one that comes to mind. I believe Matic will also be able to play at a very high level till 35.
I thought about Pirlo right after posting as well haha

But yes agreed! I think 3 years is a decent contract for a DM of his caliber. He’s never been seriously injury prone.

Also - the way Ole has started using him in games now where his involvement has become more dynamic at the back shows me he still has quite a bit left to offer if used properly.

I was also a tad bit shocked we offered a player over 30 a 3 year contract but I think Matic brings more to the table than just playing. He’ll be able to coach McT well along with Carrick which is what Ole is probably hoping for.

As for playing time, if used cautiously, his maturity will bring value to us in big games. Games where Fred or McT will not be able to fulfill the DM role as well as him.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
We dont seem to learn, we should give players over 30 one or two year deals maximum. Matic is playing really good at the moment but we all know he doesnt maintain the performances for the whole season, his legs are going and 3 years time is a hell lot of time.

He's about to turn 32 so can anyone imagine a 35 year old Matic playing at a high level?
The plan is to make him play at a high level UNTIL he reaches 35. Probably not as much once he is actually 35.

Also - why can’t he continue playing at a high level beyond that age? He could definitely go play in the Italian league if nowhere else.

georgipep

Pretty sure Bernardo Silva & Phil Foden are supposed to help fill the void?

There’s Gundogan too but he is also backup for Rodri.
And they both will but do you really expect City not to buy someone to replace him and go next season with one less option? I don't.

redpatron

I think the club knows we can dump anybody in Italy and they will take them.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
And they both will but do you really expect City not to buy someone to replace him and go next season with one less option? I don't.
No of course not but just like you I’m hoping they go for someone else instead of Grealish. Someone whose literally an out and out winger with electric pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.