Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWRed

52 million pounds Roma, and I'd drive him to Rome myself.
If we can even recover half of the fee I'd take it and run
Sell now, before he is utterly worthless.

I like his skill set, but clearly he isn't going to cut it in the PL.
Fred was dumped by Mourinho after a few sub par performances in a disfunctional team in a league he wasn't adjusted to, clearly damaging his confidence.

Ole started playing him in the position he best suited to and he was improving towards the end of the season. He may not develop into a top player but selling him after one season poor season is a knee jerk reaction (Lindelof anyone?).

Infra-red

Fred was dumped by Mourinho after a few sub par performances in a disfunctional team in a league he wasn't adjusted to, clearly damaging his confidence.

Ole started playing him in the position he best suited to and he was improving towards the end of the season. He may not develop into a top player but selling him after one season poor season is a knee jerk reaction (Lindelof anyone?).
I don't think Mourinho was ever particularly impressed by him. Has subsequently been reported that he was a signing pushed by our scouting team and that Mourinho was never really keen. Probably explains why he was dropped so quickly.

I think there might be a decent player in there (at least as a squad option).

Steve Bruce

Seriously? This is the comparison you're making?
Perfectly fine comparison. Both where useless in their first season. Once they got a pre season over them they where transformed in to 2 top players.

You wouldn't have seen anything in them before that point. It may be the case with Fred but we won't know in less we give him a chance.

Very few poor Brazilian midfielder Internationals.

kolli

Rangnick should be United's director of football. Really looking forward to seeing him in the Premier League if the move to Chelsea happens. He's brilliant

UncleBob

I don't think Mourinho was ever particularly impressed by him. Has subsequently been reported that he was a signing pushed by our scouting team and that Mourinho was never really keen. Probably explains why he was dropped so quickly.

Link ?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yet another Fernandes story. It seems we are getting three or four of these every day. How can there be so much drivel written about one player.
I like Sports Witness but they're certainly culpable for us seeing so many of these (well them and those who are posting their tweets here)

$inner_88

Yet another Fernandes story. It seems we are getting three or four of these every day. How can there be so much drivel written about one player.
Portuguese media love it. Whenever we are linked with players from over there its a constant rehash of the same story multiple times a day.

VanGaalyTime

Perfectly fine comparison. Both where useless in their first season. Once they got a pre season over them they where transformed in to 2 top players.

You wouldn't have seen anything in them before that point. It may be the case with Fred but we won't know in less we give him a chance.

Very few poor Brazilian midfielder Internationals.
This can also happen with players from the UK starting for United for the first team. After his first 12 months in the team, how many could honestly have predicted Scott Mctominay would have been our best player in the last six months?

youmeletsfly

I call BS on the Cancelo to City rumours.
They have Walker and Danilo, Walker is going nowhere so if Cancelo comes he'll warm the bench while Walker is playing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

According to Jason Burt of the Telegraph, Fred was a Mourinho signing and Mourinho used his personal scouts to sign the likes of Fred, Lindelof and Dalot. I even posted the video on here when he said it. Our scouts have basically been on a sabbatical for the last two years if Burt is to be believed.

UncleBob

According to Jason Burt of the Telegraph, Fred was a Mourinho signing and Mourinho used his personal scouts to sign the likes of Fred, Lindelof and Dalot. I even posted the video on here when he said it. Our scouts have basically been on a sabbatical for the last two years if Burt is to be believed.
Sounds far more likely.

Not sure why it's suddenly become such a popular opinion that almost none of our signings were actually wanted by Mourinho. Same claims tend to pop up for Pogba and Sanchez as well, bizarre.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

21 year old German keeper who is rated very highly for his all round abilities. Arsenal looking to steal a march on him on a free transfer after Sven Mislintat had tipped them about the players ability.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sounds far more likely.

Not sure why it's suddenly become such a popular opinion that almost none of our signings were actually wanted by Mourinho. Same claims tend to pop up for Pogba and Sanchez as well, bizarre.
I think the counter claim was made by Duncan Castles who is well known as a Mourinho apologist. Would take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

Infra-red

Rob Dawson discussed it in his piece for ESPN on our search for a DOF.

It is a subtle change but sources have told ESPN FC that the atmosphere in recruitment meetings is already calmer than a year ago, when Mourinho felt he was being pressured into agreeing to the signing of Fred by head performance recruitment analyst Mick Court. (The Brazilian midfielder hasn't lived up to expectations, a problem made more painful given the £52 million cost required to sign him.) Rubbing salt into the wound is the fact that the same recruitment team vetoed Mourinho's pursuit of a centre-back: United recorded one of their worst seasons defensively, going 13 games without a clean sheet and conceding 54 goals, a club record in the Premier League era.

De Ligt was discussed but head of global scouting Marcel Bout, who was brought to the club by Van Gaal, argued the Dutchman was too susceptible to weight gain because of his family history. The dissent came a year after Woodward and right-hand man Matt Judge were advised that Ivan Perisic, another Mourinho target, was only worth £22m rather than Inter Milan's valuation of £40m.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/clu...l-director-and-why-it-matters-to-their-future

I recall reading it elsewhere previously - I'll try to find that link.

Infra-red

Duncan Castles claims that Dalot and Lindelof were Mourinho signings - players that he specifically mentioned to the club. I have also read numerous reports that Mourinho pushed hard for Sanchez. It is clear that he cannot be blameless for our transfer policy. I don't think that extends to Fred, though.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Duncan Castles claims that Dalot and Lindelof were Mourinho signings - players that he specifically mentioned to the club. I have also read numerous reports that Mourinho pushed hard for Sanchez. It is clear that he cannot be blameless for our transfer policy. I don't think that extends to Fred, though.
He's to blame for Sanchez maybe but he should be praised for Lindelof and maybe Dalot.

Dalot has obvious talent but it's up to us to nurture him and find his best position.

Kostov

I'd sell Lindelof for 50m pounds as well. :lol:

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
I seem to recall Mourinho dropping hints that United would be signing a Brazilian player very soon after the season ended last year. Something about a team without a Brazilian not being a team. Seems he likely very much wanted Fred to me.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Jason Burt is a very credible journo who works for the Telegraph. Below is what he said from the article in the link.

All 11 signings made under Mourinho’s watch were his – and United have been left hugely frustrated by suggestions otherwise. He wanted all the players and they have cost the club £400m. That is some outlay, especially when Mourinho has appeared to want to discard most of them and then wanted more - not least another central defender when they already had five.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...tory-manchester-united-tenure-doomed-day/amp/

It's not unusual for Mourinho to use his press buddies to deflect the blame on the club for his own short comings.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Duncan Castles also said Mourinho wanted Fred when it looked like he was signing for City in Jan 2018.
Castles said on the latest episode: “Manchester United tried to sign him, he was high on Jose Mourinho's list to bring in a new midfielder for the window.
They enquired about the player and were told Fred's preference is to join Manchester City and essentially that they wouldn't be able to beat City on salary and transfer fee, which according to Shakhtar is going to end up being around €40m (£35m)
“He would like to get Fred as a guy who could work alongside Matic and allow Pogba to play further forward.
“(But) Fred's not going to happen as Manchester City are going to get him.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Major Gaitan vibes in this Bruno Fernandes thing. Not convinced we're even interested.

roonster09

Scout
Jason Burt is a very credible journo who works for the Telegraph. Below is what he said from the article in the link.

All 11 signings made under Mourinho’s watch were his – and United have been left hugely frustrated by suggestions otherwise. He wanted all the players and they have cost the club £400m. That is some outlay, especially when Mourinho has appeared to want to discard most of them and then wanted more - not least another central defender when they already had five.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...tory-manchester-united-tenure-doomed-day/amp/

It's not unusual for Mourinho to use his press buddies to deflect the blame on the club for his own short comings.
Duncan Castles wrote about the players long before they signed too. For example, he wrote months before we signed Lindelof that He was #1 in Jose's list of CBs, when Lindelof wasn't playing well he changed it to "it was club's signing".

Kapardin

Its' the same with all possible transfers from Portuguese league. Gaitan, Carvalho, Bruno etc. Either their papers are an excitable lot or the players are so eager for a big move that their agents run their mouth to the media.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Duncan Castles also said Mourinho wanted Fred when it looked like he was signing for City in Jan 2018.
@Infra-red

This should prove to you that Castles can't be trusted and Fred was a Mourinho target. Castles changes his opinion as and when it suits him, like he has done with Lindelof too in the past, like @roonster09 pointed out.

VanGaalyTime

Duncan Castles wrote about the players long before they signed too. For example, he wrote months before we signed Lindelof that He was #1 in Jose's list of CBs, when Lindelof wasn't playing well he changed it to "it was club's signing".
Right, but I think it's also important that Woodward share the vast majority of the blame. Mourinho should maybe get 30% and Woodward and the scouts 70%. Here's why: Mourinho likely had a plan. Then when we had Pogba in, Lukaku in, Lindelof in, etc, the board decided they didn't want to go for his targets last summer for a central defender. So they backed him for a bit, we won the Europa. Backed him again, he finished 2nd. Then after he came 2nd in the league, they stopped backing him. Said no to his defensive targets. How does that make any sense? We know that Mourinho wasn't a fan of Martial. We know that he believed Rashford wasn't good enough to be a striker. We also know that he wanted a world class central defender last year. Yet, we didn't spend anything. Why? The board has still not answered this question.

I maintain that, if we got a central defender last summer, we would have been 3rd by some distance in the league. Mourinho would still be managed and we'd be in a much better position to attract the level of quality we need to match Liverpool and City next year. As it is, all the noise now is about buying British (because we're being rejected by the best European players) and trying to get top four (which will be difficult because Wolves and Leicester have superior scouting systems to Manchester United.)

Here's what will happen: We'll get a few decent summer signings but make at least one, more than likely two major sales (Pogba and Lukaku). The team will get some decent results after a dodgy August. Then it will fall apart around November/December. Ole will be fired in January and we'll begin a rebuild again with Woodward and co again talking about restructuring in the face of growing protests around Old Trafford.

roonster09

Scout
Right, but I think it's also important that Woodward share the vast majority of the blame. Mourinho should maybe get 30% and Woodward and the scouts 70%. Here's why: Mourinho likely had a plan. Then when we had Pogba in, Lukaku in, Lindelof in, etc, the board decided they didn't want to go for his targets last summer for a central defender. So they backed him for a bit, we won the Europa. Backed him again, he finished 2nd. Then after he came 2nd in the league, they stopped backing him. Said no to his defensive targets. How does that make any sense? We know that Mourinho wasn't a fan of Martial. We know that he believed Rashford wasn't good enough to be a striker. We also know that he wanted a world class central defender last year. Yet, we didn't spend anything. Why? The board has still not answered this question.

I maintain that, if we got a central defender last summer, we would have been 3rd by some distance in the league. Mourinho would still be managed and we'd be in a much better position to attract the level of quality we need to match Liverpool and City next year. As it is, all the noise now is about buying British (because we're being rejected by the best European players) and trying to get top four (which will be difficult because Wolves and Leicester have superior scouting systems to Manchester United.)

Here's what will happen: We'll get a few decent summer signings but make at least one, more than likely two major sales (Pogba and Lukaku). The team will get some decent results after a dodgy August. Then it will fall apart around November/December. Ole will be fired in January and we'll begin a rebuild again with Woodward and co again talking about restructuring in the face of growing protests around Old Trafford.
This argument has been done so many times and this isn't even the thread for the argument. .

Infra-red

@Infra-red

This should prove to you that Castles can't be trusted and Fred was a Mourinho target. Castles changes his opinion as and when it suits him, like he has done with Lindelof too in the past, like @roonster09 pointed out.
Of course. I'm not the one quoting Castles with regards to Fred though, @roonster09 is. The article I linked here regarding Fred was written by Rob Dawson.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/clu...l-director-and-why-it-matters-to-their-future

Edit as above, we're in the wrong thread for this - we can probably argue it out in the DOF if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.