Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks2008

OGS: "You've probably seen the last of some of these players today."

Which ones exactly,Ole?

#yesman
#woodwardpuppet
#happytobethere
There was 'nowhere to hide' remember? I guess that only applied to our best players like Pogba, De Gea, Lukaku, Herrera and not to his pals Youngy, Jonah, Lingz, Mata or his little Rashy.

Kearnkoff69

The fact we’re crap is directly linked to our abject transfer dealings over the last 6 years so people thinking it’s rather likely that we’re in for yet another shit show of a summer isn’t exactly overreacting. If you’d told me in May that by July all we’d have done was sign a championship winger and lost Herrera on a free I’d have been rather peeved. Even putting aside signings for a second, the fact we haven’t sold anyone is unbelievable. We’ve had since December to plan for this shit so what the feck are we actually doing?
I understand where you're coming from, but this logic is flawed in a couple of ways:

(1) people have no consistency in what they want. They want us to bring in players no matter the cost. They don't care that we have to pay them ridiculous wages to convince them to join us. On the other hand, people want us to shift the deadwood that we have on our books, and the reason why we haven't been able to shift them is because we gave them fat contracts that they didn't perform up to, meaning a lot of those players are happy to be squad players and bring in a good wage rather than move somewhere and take a pay cut. You can't be pissed about not shifting deadwood that are on huge wages while at the same time advocating we pay over the odds (in wages) for every player out there that tickles your fancy.

(2) our transfer dealings weren't considered crap when they were done (last year aside, which was sparse and unforgivable). People thought Rojo looked good at the WC and would be a solid addition. Darmian was hailed as an under-the-radar steal. Bailly was considered a raw but high ceiling prospect. None of them, aside from a few patches of really good from from Bailly, have lived up to their potential. Going even further back, the Caf nutted over the Di Maria and Falcao signings, and both turned out to be horrible. Herrera and Mata were also hailed as great steps forward for our squad. The only signing in the post-Fergie era that's even come remotely close to fulfilling his potential is Herrera, and even then he never really turned into the player people thought he would be. Point being: judging transfers immediately after they happen is a foolish idea, because how a player beds in and how they kick on once in the team makes a huge difference in how those transfers are perceived.

(3) the window isn't close to being over yet. I'm with you - if we end the window having only signed James, let Herrera go, and don't sell any of the guys that shouldn't be here anymore, I'll be livid. But I'm more of a "innocent until proven guilty" kind of guy, and I'm willing to give the club the benefit of the doubt until the window shuts. What if in the next three weeks we announce AWB, Bruno Fernandes, Pepe (a long shot, I know), and some CB (just throwing names out that we've been linked to)? That would be considered a pretty strong summer that addresses our most glaring needs. I called it "overreacting" because literally every thread on the Caf has multiple people coming in with melodramatic statements declaring the end of the world because of some tweet from a journalist. It's knee-jerky and it's frankly embarrassing. People need to get a grip, stop believing everything they read on Twitter, and put things in perspective. Even Tottenham has apparently been talking to Ndombele for weeks and haven't officially concluded that transfer, it just hasn't been done in the broad daylight (aka broadcast on Twitter by journos). If we reach the end of the summer and transfers (both in and out) haven't happened, then people will have every right to rip the club. But people here are downright hysterical these days, and they fuel the fire by reading the BS clickbait articles that journos put out about United's dysfunction and then freaking out about it as if the journos aren't writing those stories because they know it'll get them clicks and shares.

As I said - bottom line, you and I are of the same mind. I'm just not going to lose my beans about every day that passes without a transfer. Come end of the summer, I'll happily go after the club with my pitchfork if things haven't improved. But let's at least wait and see instead of indulging in the mass hysteria that's gripped our fanbase this summer.

*Post script edit - I should add that I don't mean this to be a criticism of you in particular, you just happened to reply to my post. There is a specific contingent of posters on here, and on the other social platforms (Reddit, etc.) who have lost their minds - I don't at all want to imply that you are a part of that group.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

I am shocked that N’Dombele could be going to Spurs. He is a phenomenal midfielder and under pochettino who had success with Moussa Dembele, it is hard to believe he won’t thrive their. At United, I don’t feel the same. He might do well like Pogba, but won’t go to that next level.
No need for a French Fred.

OleGunnar20

I understand where you're coming from, but this logic is flawed in a couple of ways:

(1) people have no consistency in what they want. They want us to bring in players no matter the cost. They don't care that we have to pay them ridiculous wages to convince them to join us. On the other hand, people want us to shift the deadwood that we have on our books, and the reason why we haven't been able to shift them is because we gave them fat contracts that they didn't perform up to, meaning a lot of those players are happy to be squad players and bring in a good wage rather than move somewhere and take a pay cut. You can't be pissed about not shifting deadwood that are on huge wages while at the same time advocating we pay over the odds (in wages) for every player out there that tickles your fancy.

(2) our transfer dealings weren't considered crap when they were done (last year aside, which was sparse and unforgivable). People thought Rojo looked good at the WC and would be a solid addition. Darmian was hailed as an under-the-radar steal. Bailly was considered a raw but high ceiling prospect. None of them, aside from a few patches of really good from from Bailly, have lived up to their potential. Going even further back, the Caf nutted over the Di Maria and Falcao signings, and both turned out to be horrible. Herrera and Mata were also hailed as great steps forward for our squad. The only signing in the post-Fergie era that's even come remotely close to fulfilling his potential is Herrera, and even then he never really turned into the player people thought he would be. Point being: judging transfers immediately after they happen is a foolish idea, because how a player beds in and how they kick on once in the team makes a huge difference in how those transfers are perceived.

(3) the window isn't close to being over yet. I'm with you - if we end the window having only signed James, let Herrera go, and don't sell any of the guys that shouldn't be here anymore, I'll be livid. But I'm more of a "innocent until proven guilty" kind of guy, and I'm willing to give the club the benefit of the doubt until the window shuts. What if in the next three weeks we announce AWB, Bruno Fernandes, Pepe (a long shot, I know), and some CB (just throwing names out that we've been linked to)? That would be considered a pretty strong summer that addresses our most glaring needs. I called it "overreacting" because literally every thread on the Caf has multiple people coming in with melodramatic statements declaring the end of the world because of some tweet from a journalist. It's knee-jerky and it's frankly embarrassing. People need to get a grip, stop believing everything they read on Twitter, and put things in perspective. Even Tottenham has apparently been talking to Ndombele for weeks and haven't officially concluded that transfer, it just hasn't been done in the broad daylight (aka broadcast on Twitter by journos). If we reach the end of the summer and transfers (both in and out) haven't happened, then people will have every right to rip the club. But people here are downright hysterical these days, and they fuel the fire by reading the BS clickbait articles that journos put out about United's dysfunction and then freaking out about it as if the journos aren't writing those stories because they know it'll get them clicks and shares.

As I said - bottom line, you and I are of the same mind. I'm just not going to lose my beans about every day that passes without a transfer. Come end of the summer, I'll happily go after the club with my pitchfork if things haven't improved. But let's at least wait and see instead of indulging in the mass hysteria that's gripped our fanbase this summer.

*Post script edit - I should add that I don't mean this to be a criticism of you in particular, you just happened to reply to my post. There is a specific contingent of posters on here, and on the other social platforms (Reddit, etc.) who have lost their minds - I don't at all want to imply that you are a part of that group.
Frighteningly sensible post for 3am.

Funky Futurista

I mean seriously I don't know what he meant by saying that "you have seen the last of some players". The players that should have been thrown out are Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Sanchez, Young but going by the reports, each of these have been shown immense faith and value.

If he meant Pogba and DDG then fair play to him!
Maybe he was trying to put some pressure on Woodward? Remember how that's the guy giving all those players fat contracts to begin with? Solskjær might have to eat his words come August, but that will clearly be Woodward's fault. He's the one handing out huge contracts like it's free candy.

Spark

This post contains disgusting amounts of rational thinking. Impossible to disagree with any of it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
so technically gifted players are now written off as "show offs"? we should go more for the lee cattermole types then?
I find it interesting that not many clubs seem to be in for Ndombele.
I think Juve sniffed around but are not really that interested, it seems that none of the big teams are really taken by him.
Seems like he's a bit of a risk given that his all round play isn't as complete as say Pogbas.

Ban

I think Juve sniffed around but are not really that interested, it seems that none of the big teams are really taken by him.
Seems like he's a bit of a risk given that his all round play isn't as complete as say Pogbas.
Blasphemy!

TsuWave

"xyz clubs aren't in for abc player" is not the most reliable assessment tool. I swear couple weeks back you could find posts on this forum saying similar about Rabiot, all of a sudden there's reports that multiple top clubs have been trying to tempt him all along. Also, big teams miss out on good players all the time and then have to pay crazier fees later on. Anecdotal, but I had a friend on a videogame/anime forum talking about why he couldn't understand why top clubs weren't in for Van Dijk back when he was at Celtic. fast forward couple years, he's regarded as best CB in the league and said friend pulls screenshots of said posts all the time. I mean a nerd saw it early but the big teams missed it/had other pressing concerns.

I think Ndombele looks like a cracking player, certainly an improvement on many of our midfield options.

Baneofthegame

Great post, completely agree with all of it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This post contains disgusting amounts of rational thinking. Impossible to disagree with any of it.
Nah, he’s missing the point of the transfer forum. People are in it to get their fix of fantasy and ‘what if we signed..?’ day dreams. Leave your logic hat outside or stick to reading teletext if you don’t like muppets mupetting

since 1977

This post is 100% spot on and I totally echo your very sensible and logical thoughts. There is however one glaring omission from it though and that’s the fact that Ed is pretty much the route cause of all of this. He earns £2.6m per annum ffs (from what I can deduce) and is responsible for debacles such as the handing out of contract renewals to players that should no longer be here, causing dressing room resentment by awarding Sanchez a huge contract (why didn’t we give him a large signing on fee and keep his weekly wage down, thus mitigating the risk of other players making unreasonable demands for pay parity)? Ed hasn’t appointed a DoF. Ed prematurely appointed OGS. Ed negotiated the adidas deal with its reducing fee for no CL football. Ed’s not all that......

#dontbelikeEd

All for £50k a week.

Spark

Nah, he’s missing the point of the transfer forum. People are in it to get their fix of fantasy and ‘what if we signed..?’ day dreams. Leave your logic hat outside or stick to reading teletext if you don’t like muppets mupetting
That’s a positive post that can be summed up as “chill, it’s not over till it’s over, leave the agro for after the window”.

If anything, it should bring comfort to muppets.

On topic, Metro says we’re chatting to Bruno Fernandes’ agent. https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/26/manc...andes-agent-in-london-over-transfer-10071678/

Am I doing it right?

pacifictheme

One by one that 11/12 spine of players are leaving. City are still obviously gonna be title favourites but I reckon they won't be as effective without him.
The thing is they already replaced him with bernardo. Their succession planning is amazing really.

dev1l

Post translation of foreign tweets.
Basically it s a round up of Italian papers. They re saying DeLigt to Juventus agreed (Tuttosport). Buffon will be coming back to Juventus and Juventus are still trying to get back Pogba.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

The first offer just came out from Usa. $10 million net for 50% of Cristian Pavon.
Strange, lot of people were linked to him before the WC.

cyberman

You’re criticizing that attack?
Yes. Suarez can't do it in Europe anymore and none of those bar Naymar can make up for Messis off the ball game, the weaknesses are still there. And they'll be 500m in the hole over the last two summers!

izec

Strange, lot of people were linked to him before the WC.
Worth a punt for any top flight club needing a winger. Especially the Portuguese, Spanish or Italian clubs love themselves a South American for a good fee, that they can sell for more a few years down the line

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Worth a punt for any top flight club needing a winger. Especially the Portuguese, Spanish or Italian clubs love themselves a South American for a good fee, that they can sell for more a few years down the line
So Guillermo Schelotto is the coach at galaxy who was his coach at Boca apparently, so looks like he's following him there. I agree though, seems strange no one in europe has had a look.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
"xyz clubs aren't in for abc player" is not the most reliable assessment tool. I swear couple weeks back you could find posts on this forum saying similar about Rabiot, all of a sudden there's reports that multiple top clubs have been trying to tempt him all along. Also, big teams miss out on good players all the time and then have to pay crazier fees later on. Anecdotal, but I had a friend on a videogame/anime forum talking about why he couldn't understand why top clubs weren't in for Van Dijk back when he was at Celtic. fast forward couple years, he's regarded as best CB in the league and said friend pulls screenshots of said posts all the time. I mean a nerd saw it early but the big teams missed it/had other pressing concerns.

I think Ndombele looks like a cracking player, certainly an improvement on many of our midfield options.
To be fair, our midfield options bar Pogba and Scotty are threadbare :lol:
These types of transfers are a bit of a risk for a big club, look at Barca and Dembele for example, or Malcolm, these players look decent in patches but fail to take the next step for whatever reason, same looks to be similar with this Ndombele kid.

TsuWave

To be fair, our midfield options bar Pogba and Scotty are threadbare :lol:
These types of transfers are a bit of a risk for a big club, look at Barca and Dembele for example, or Malcolm, these players look decent in patches but fail to take the next step for whatever reason, same looks to be similar with this Ndombele kid.
Mctominay is as average as they come. Our midfield options being bare is more reason to look for technically gifted and promising players, and risk is the nature of the transfer game. I don't see how one can see or draw similarities between Nbomdele, Dembele or Malcolm? That doesn't even make sense.

Dembele by the way, performance wise, has had multiple great showings for Barca, the question marks around him are reportedly about attitude, and he's been unlucky with injuries. He's only 22 as well.

No complaining about other posters/demanding they be threadbanned

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Deleted all the posts discussing/moaning about Fridge chutney. Read the title. The endless complaining/discussion (when we've explicitly said this thread is for posting brief reactions to transfer tweets) is tiresome, and for someone to call for him to be threadbanned - someone who has constantly followed the rules throughout - is disgusting. If you don't like the tweets posted, feel free to put him on ignore. Enough said, now no more talk on the matter and go back to posting tweets.

Status
Not open for further replies.