Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

So in the last 10 years:
2 league titles
1 FA Cup
1 League Cup
1 Europa League

5 trophies in 10 years.... Not really THAT bad.
Sure it's not perfect, but it's gonna be better than the majority of clubs

Plus, when it does come to wages, we can pay more than pretty much any other club.
To say United have 0 attraction these days is laughable
Lets be honest, we are probably being looked at post Ferguson as a side, two respective mickey mouse tournaments and a single fa cup isnt that impressive at all for one of the worlds biggest clubs, especially with a solitary 2nd premiership finish and as many seasons failing to qualify for cl as doing so

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Think that is his point, go back 25 years and every player in the world wanted to play for them pretty much, steeped in history but look at them the last 10 years. Doesnt matter how big a club is and how big the history is....if your rubbish for a decade, you are going to struggle for the best players, especially outside of your own country. Dybala is outside of our country and we have been rubbish for about seven years, is it such a surprise he seemed reluctant to join us from Juventus perennial cl challengers and serie a winners?
To an extent, for sure.
Big difference though, we've still been relevant. We've still won things. We can pay more than AC Milan

Of course Dybala could want to stay at Juve over us and thats totally reasonable.
I just don't think Tottenham offer anything that we cant..
Yes they've got CL Football, but they've had their chance, I don't really see them getting back there anytime soon.
Wages, they'll never be close to what we can and will offer players.
Trophies? Lads, it's Tottenham.

Infra-red

To an extent, for sure.
Big difference though, we've still been relevant. We've still won things. We can pay more than AC Milan

Of course Dybala could want to stay at Juve over us and thats totally reasonable.
Yes they've got CL Football, but they've had their chance, I don't really see them getting back there anytime soon.
They can offer London, Champions League football and Pochettino.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Think that is his point, go back 25 years and every player in the world wanted to play for them pretty much, steeped in history but look at them the last 10 years. Doesnt matter how big a club is and how big the history is....if your rubbish for a decade, you are going to struggle for the best players, especially outside of your own country. Dybala is outside of our country and we have been rubbish for about seven years, is it such a surprise he seemed reluctant to join us from Juventus perennial cl challengers and serie a winners?
AC Milan don't have the finances since Berlusconi departed. United are still amongst the richest clubs in the world.

Infra-red

Shortsighted would be the term, Poch wont be there forever, and choosing to go to a lesser club based on a city is a little weird as a footballer too, you're a millionaire, you dont work 8-12 hours a day 6 days a week, you can go to London as much as you like (or any other city for that matter).

But hey, if a player would rather play for a manager who shares the same nationality and to live in a more popular city then who am I to criticise? Just find it odd.
Perhaps he just wants to play Champions League football most years. That isn't likely to happen at Manchester United.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We have pulled the plug as the deal looked to complicated and costly for a player that didnt appear fully convinced on joining us. Would say if there is any truth in the Eriksen deal, its as he was another target we have now moved on to.

Not read the piece from The Athletic or whatever its called, but dont buy into us having worked on the deal for months for Eriksen, not that I know what it says, just from comments on here. If that was true surely we wouldnt have moved for Dybala and SPurs would have sold him by now to raise the funds for there supposed targets
Steve Bate reported a few months back that we were working on signing Eriksen.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Most of the transfer market news seems to be made up bullshit just to get clicks or clubs leaking stuff to set narratives . There is no logical reason for spurs to agree a price with juve if they know that United baulked at the wages & agent fees . Also the same journos who reported a lukaku plus 20 million fee a week back now reporting 60-70 for spurs which again makes no sense. Just seems like a lot of random bullshit

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
A lot of people underestimating Spurs to be honest.

I don't think Spurs can really give him the wages he will require, so ultimately I do not think he will end up there, but to say that there is no way he would pick Spurs over United is a bit silly and arrogant.

I think he would rather be managed by Pochettino over Ole, they also offer Champions League football and they are based in London.

I know this is a United forum, but let's try to at least put across a well-thought out, balanced argument.

Infra-red

AC Milan don't have the finances since Berlusconi departed. United are still amongst the richest clubs in the world.
Indeed we are, which is how we signed Di Maria, Falcao, Pogba, Sanchez etc

Seems we have now decided to move way from this strategy, though, and sign players who want to play for the club for reasons other than financial remuneration. Hence no Dybala (or other players of his ilk).

jesperjaap

To an extent, for sure.

Cl football is huge and if he were to look at our league finishes, we have failed to qualify for the cl as often as we have done since Ferguson retired, that is bound to be a concern for any big player in moving not just no cl football for a year but does this side look like they will even offer me that consistently over my contract.

The lure of London over rainy Mancheser is also probably a big pull, think we have lost out to Chelsea before for that very reason with certain players.

A manager from your homeland has to be a lure as well. Just look at Venables time at Barcelona, sure the players well have signed anyway, but Im sure the comfort of a manager from the same UK played a part for both Lineker and Hughes.

As for relevance, we have no league titles in 7 years and a Europa league...Spurs may not have won anything but they just played in a CL final, surely that is more relevant?

End of the day, last part you are absolutely correct, they cant pay the supposed desired wages, it would tear there whole structure apart far worse than the SAnchez deal has had implications for us. Not disagreing we should be a bigger pull than SPurs for any player, but I can fully understand why a foeign player would choose them over us at the moment, rightly or wrongly

Fooza

So is anyone top notch legit saying Eriksen is joining us or is it just a bunch of tabloid knobheads?
Bunch of unreliable knobheads, I mean just a thought of getting a spurs player is highly unlikely in the first place let alone Eriksen.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Perhaps he just wants to play Champions League football most years. That isn't likely to happen at Manchester United.
They've been in the Champions League two more times than us since our greatest ever manager retired, and we've still had more success domestically and in Europe even in a terrible state.

The doom and gloom around United at the minute is because of what we used to be, if a player thinks being at Spurs gives him more chance of being in the CL then that's the definition of shortsighted.

We can argue about this all night, guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Bunch of unreliable knobheads, I mean just a thought of getting a spurs player is highly unlikely in the first place let alone Eriksen.
I think the interest is genuine to be fair. Sky, Independent, Mail and the Times have all reported our desire to sign him.

Fooza

I think the interest is genuine to be fair. Sky, Independent, Mail and the Times have all reported our desire to sign him.
Not really from any reliable or top journos. I would have thought getting dybala is more easier even with his messy situation than to get Eriksen under Levy.

jesperjaap

Lozano and Insigne on the wings.... whiplash claims from opposition defenders incoming.
Surprised no major clubs in the last 6-7 years made significant moves for Insigne, such a talented player. Really wanted us to sign him not long after Giggs retired. Interesting to see hos Lozano does there, only really seen him for Mexico where he looked impressive, quite a few wanted him here as well recently

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not really from any reliable or top journos. I would have thought getting dybala is more easier even with his messy situation than to get Eriksen under Levy.
Quite sure Ducker has mentioned Eriksen today for us and he's been very much on the ball this window.

Fooza

Quite sure Ducker has mentioned Eriksen today for us and he's been very much on the ball this window.
Ah yeh my bad apart from Ducker, I think he was the only source that said we were merely exploring the possibility.

Dong Fangzhuo

A lot of people underestimating Spurs to be honest.

I don't think Spurs can really give him the wages he will require, so ultimately I do not think he will end up there, but to say that there is no way he would pick Spurs over United is a bit silly and arrogant.

I think he would rather be managed by Pochettino over Ole, they also offer Champions League football and they are based in London.

I know this is a United forum, but let's try to at least put across a well-thought out, balanced argument.
Seems like this is really hard for people to accept but it's pretty spot on.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Tottenham would have to sell Christian Eriksen, possibly to Manchester United, in order to finance the Dybala deal. Eriksen has just one year left on his contract and could leave for free next summer. Juventus are not interested in signing the Dane as any part of a deal for Dybala.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Indeed we are, which is how we signed Di Maria, Falcao, Pogba, Sanchez etc

Seems we have now decided to move way from this strategy, though, and sign players who want to play for the club for reasons other than financial remuneration. Hence no Dybala (or other players of his ilk).
I'm all for moving away from the failed strategy and signing younger players who are on the cusp of being good to great players. But I'm sure we'll sign the odd superstar if the opportunity presents it's self with abit of due diligence.

ForestRGoinUp

It’s a lot of people on here struggling with the ascendancy of Spuds. Thinking we’ll automatically jump right back ahead of them. Boy.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
"Tottenham would have to sell Christian Eriksen, possibly to Manchester United, in order to finance the Dybala deal. Eriksen has just one year left on his contract and could leave for free next summer. Juventus are not interested in signing the Dane as any part of a deal for Dybala."

Dante

Average bang
So is anyone top notch legit saying Eriksen is joining us or is it just a bunch of tabloid knobheads?
It's not at all clear that reliability has any meaning in the world of transfer news.

What we know is this: a bunch of UK based journalists are reporting the same thing at the same time. And what they're reporting is not a story that's obvious to guess, or easy to invent out of thin air.

Given the background to the story, it looks like this was a brief from somebody with ties to one of United or Spurs or Eriksen. What that means in the long run is impossible to say. It might be real news or just a strategic leak. There's no way to know until the end of the window.

But I think there's enough evidence to surmise that there are some legs to the story. I think it's likely to be the prelude to something significant. Whether that's a new contract or negotiating tactic for a different player or an actual transfer remains to be seen. The actual transfer work obviously goes on behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.