Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabaster Codify7

I would tell them to whistle. Given his talent and performances, I wouldn't take less than £20m for Smalling, preferably closer to £30m. He's twice the CB Lindelöf or Bailly are, for example.

Infestissumam

not even sure I'd want them to splash all that money on Sancho at this point. Sure, great player at a position of need - but I see that midfield and think it's a much bigger issue, especially if Pogba leaves. Do we spend the much needed money there if we sign Sancho? I have my doubts.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
not even sure I'd want them to splash all that money on Sancho at this point. Sure, great player at a position of need - but I see that midfield and think it's a much bigger issue, especially if Pogba leaves. Do we spend the much needed money there if we sign Sancho? I have my doubts.
I imagine it Pogba leave we will be paid for it. There will be money to sign a replacement regardless.

Red_toad

I imagine it Pogba leave we will be paid for it. There will be money to sign a replacement regardless.
We’re always told United have funds, but in reality looks like we need to balance the books.
Smalling will be sold in the very near future, further reducing what we’ve spent net since Ole took over.
I could see us selling Pogba, then awaiting Juan, Angel or Jesse upping their game to replace him :lol:

TrustInOle

Well we have the third-highest revenues in world football, so I think we can afford both to be honest.
And there lies the crux of the matter. Yes, we are inherently rich as a football club, but the owners limit what we can use by lining their back pockets. Also money is only as good as the subject it's being spent on, which we seem to always get wrong in recent years.

Alabaster Codify7

Imagine Jadon Sancho coming here?
Fantastical rubbish. Media spin for the man, the legend himself, Ed Woodward......season tickets be renewing soon, right? Couple of months is it?

Craig Ward

I really hate everything about this :mad:
Why? Smalling is done here, he isn't going to get better and when we was here, he wasn't amazing anyway.

Why are people so against letting players go that have no future here.

I can predict an element of your reply "he's better than Jones and bailly" - you think no one knows he's better than Jones and fitter than Bailly? Of course we do. Difference = No one wants to buy them

Players need to move on, smalling is one of them

Alabaster Codify7

Like any aspiring top four club should do.....

Yep.
There are two ways to view this, and both have grounds for truth

1) Its better to snap up these talents when they cost £20m than when they cost £90m from Leicester City. Agreed. Some will turn out to be the next Maddison, some will be the next Phil Jones. No issue with the overall approach though.

2) The lower we fall, the lower profile and quality of player will want to join us. It damages the club's PR if we're bidding for and being laughed at by world-class talents regularly. We struggled to get players like Sancho last summer, finishing 6th. We have no chance next summer, finishing 10th or so (looks likely based on the first half of the season).

Hoof the ball

Yep.
There are two ways to view this, and both have grounds for truth

1) Its better to snap up these talents when they cost £20m than when they cost £90m from Leicester City. Agreed. Some will turn out to be the next Maddison, some will be the next Phil Jones. No issue with the overall approach though.

2) The lower we fall, the lower profile and quality of player will want to join us. It damages the club's PR if we're bidding for and being laughed at by world-class talents regularly. We struggled to get players like Sancho last summer, finishing 6th. We have no chance next summer, finishing 10th or so (looks likely based on the first half of the season).
Ideally, we ought to be spotting, and being in the running for guys like Kai Havertz before they have the breakout seasons with their respective clubs. The same could be said, for example, for Haaland. High value youngsters. It's obviously higher risk, but the pay-off is much higher. I'd be happy if we went for players on the cusp of superstardom, rather than established big names who'd be priced out the market.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with scouring lower leagues and trying a scattergun approach to recruitment. It's just diversifying in the end. Some you win, some you lose, and you hope the wins are much bigger than the losses.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Ben White would be an upgrade and we don't have a bloody defensive midfielder in the squad (Matic frozen out) so Phillips fits the bill. Apparently Leeds rejected a £27 mill offer for Phillips in the summer.

This is Ben White's breakout season and i know Leeds are hoping they can buy him but first of all, i'm sure Brighton would love to integrate him into their squad next season. Secondly though, i think there are going to be many interested clubs in the summer so i think White will be tempted to move and certainly to a better club than Leeds. He's on loan at Leeds from Brighton without a redeem clause.

They are two big reasons why Leeds have conceded the fewest goals in the Championship (only 10 in 18 games).

Edit: White is being linked with Liverpool as well, if that helps.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Sancho has as many goals as Greenwood this year. Hope he's worth 100m
And plenty of assists, which is what he is in the side for, not to mention he has scored more.

Status
Not open for further replies.