Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

I imagine a lot of teams wouldn't want to agree deals for players a long time before they can actually sign thrm in case of injury.
Its all agreed and ready to sign on the day the window opens for that exact reason. You cant transfer the player registration before the opening day so actually completing the signing before then is pointless, but everything can be agreed well in advance.

Toni Roncoroni

Yeah he started yesterday.
Yes! In the Swiss newspaper it was written that Arteta said he is a big fan of his but also mentioned that he will be free to leave in summer. That was the breakdown for Xhaka according to those reports that he wants to go back to the Bundesliga. As Hertha are having new investors (and money) I can see that happen. Especially after everything that happend. Granit is a very proud person and I really think that he is off.

Yes! In the Swiss newspaper it was written that Arteta said he is a big fan of his but also mentioned that he will be free to leave in summer. That was the breakdown for Xhaka according to those reports that he wants to go back to the Bundesliga. As Hertha are having new investors (and money) I can see that happen. Especially after everything that happend. Granit is a very proud person and I really think that he is off.
Oh ok, i didn't see that part. Makes sense for him to go in Jan then.

Toni Roncoroni

Oh ok, i didn't see that part. Makes sense for him to go in Jan then.
Well this is what the papers are writing in Switzerland. So you never know. But after the charme offense from Arteta it would be very strange from Xhaka and his agent to come out like that and tell openly that he wants to go to Hertha.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would take Bakambu or Texeira, but the rest of those playing in China really don't look interesting...

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Below is a excerpt from the above article and the reason I have absolved the scouts of blame for our recruitment post SAF. I've also believed Woodward has been very naive in giving too much power to the managers and below is a reason why. I also get the impression that Maguire was also vetoed by the likes of Bout and Lawlor along with Boateng whilst Mourinho was manager. So it's worrying that Woodward would then revert to type under Ole. Let's hope we've learned from our mistakes.

James Robson: "To illustrate how dysfunctional the club’s recruitment strategy was at that time, scouts would warn Woodward against signing Van Gaal’s targets because they weren’t" ‘United players.’

But the executive vice chairman felt obliged to trust his manager’s judgement – something he was heavily-criticised for not doing when vetoing Jose Mourinho’s attempts to sign Maguire and Jerome Boateng in the summer of 2018.

Robson also says that Ole wants 2 midfielders, right sided attacker and a striker.
This will not sit well with the 'Ole Out' crew.

ATXRedDevil

Below is a excerpt from the above article and the reason I have absolved the scouts of blame for our recruitment post SAF. I've also believed Woodward has been very naive in giving too much power to the managers and below is a reason why. I also get the impression that Maguire was also vetoed by the likes of Bout and Lawlor along with Boateng whilst Mourinho was manager. So it's worrying that Woodward would then revert to type under Ole. Let's hope we've learned from our mistakes.

James Robson: "To illustrate how dysfunctional the club’s recruitment strategy was at that time, scouts would warn Woodward against signing Van Gaal’s targets because they weren’t" ‘United players.’

But the executive vice chairman felt obliged to trust his manager’s judgement – something he was heavily-criticised for not doing when vetoing Jose Mourinho’s attempts to sign Maguire and Jerome Boateng in the summer of 2018.

Robson also says that Ole wants 2 midfielders, right sided attacker and a striker.
At least Ole knows exactly what the squad needs. A striker and a RW may be too much long term with 6 players for 3 positions, but maybe we can keep them all happy.

Haaland, Sancho, a proper DM and a creative all-round midfielder/#8 type would do this squad wonders, give us the flexibility to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, free pogba to play a more advanced role and have us ready to challenge.

maybe we can finally get rid of some of the deadweight like Perreira and Chong who aren’t good enough imo.

peridigm

At least Ole knows exactly what the squad needs. A striker and a RW may be too much long term with 6 players for 3 positions, but maybe we can keep them all happy.

Haaland, Sancho, a proper DM and a creative all-round midfielder/#8 type would do this squad wonders, give us the flexibility to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, free pogba to play a more advanced role and have us ready to challenge.

maybe we can finally get rid of some of the deadweight like Perreira and Chong who aren’t good enough imo.
There is absolutely no reason why we can't sign all 4 of those positions in the next two windows. Bring in a striker and CM now, get another CM and RW in the summer.

tonnas

This will not sit well with the 'Ole Out' crew.
Why? the rectuitment in place has to be like that, we have or had too many scouts and that need to be cut down and be more focued. Ole or Poch or whoever may be our next manager should benefit from this new recruitement strategy.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Why? the rectuitment in place has to be like that, we have or had too many scouts and that need to be cut down and be more focued. Ole or Poch or whoever may be our next manager should benefit from this new recruitement strategy.
Agreed. But if it prolongs Ole's long term tenure at the expense of sort term gain, that will not go down too well.

Godfather

Read my reply two posts up :rolleyes:
I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with Ole being a pretty shit manager and the "Ole out brigade?" The same shitty articles about how our transfer strategy changed were leaked in the summer and our window was shit. So these mean absolutely nothing.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with Ole being a pretty shit manager and the "Ole out brigade?" The same shitty articles about how our transfer strategy changed were leaked in the summer and our window was shit. So these mean absolutely nothing.
It's not rocket science. For all the people that think that Ole is a shit manager, if the board stick by him in the short term because they want to give him the benefit of their new approach to recruitment, surely that's going to piss them off? Especially when we get results like those against Sheff Utd, Everton and Watford.

Godfather

It's not rocket science. For all the people that think that Ole is a shit manager, if the board stick by him in the short term because they want to give him the benefit of their new approach to recruitment, surely that's going to piss them off? Especially when we get results like those against Sheff Utd, Everton and Watford.
Still don't see how. This new approach to recruitment - if it really is one - might benefit a new manager too.

Suedesi

the Chinese Super league has apparently brought in a salary cap

Who would you take? Absolutely no one. Once a merc, always a merc. These players are all washed up and went to China in pursuit of $$$. Don't really blame them for their professional choice, but United needs young, hungry talents on the rise, not these type of players over the hump.

Suedesi

Even if performances on the pitch continue to be a concern, United believe their new transfer approach is already bearing fruit, with Harry Maguire, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James all impressing since signing in the summer.
This is what concerns me - Maguire and AWB at 130 million have been below expectations, yet the United PR machine keeps touting them as huge success. Really?
How many clean sheets, how much contribution going forward? We could have bought Soyuncu and Ricardo for half the price with likely no discernible drop in quality.

Daniel James started on fire, but he's faded a bit. We'll see how he fares throughout this season.

Last summer he refused to go below any of his top two options – even though that left him desperately short in midfield after missing out on Sean Longstaff and considering Idrissa Gueye.

It meant he ultimately opted against bidding for Bruno Fernandes, despite United being among the interested parties in the Portugal midfielder.

Sources close to Solskjaer say he would rather do without than continue the club’s recent history of ‘churning’ players.
Sure, let's stick with Jesse Lingard and Andreas Pereira and prolong the contract of Juan Mata in the interest of keeping churn to a minimum...

:houllier::houllier::houllier:

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This is what concerns me - Maguire and AWB at 130 million have been below expectations, yet the United PR machine keeps touting them as huge success. Really?
How many clean sheets, much contribution going forward? We could have bought Soyuncu and Ricardo for half the price with likely no discernible drop in quality.

Daniel James started on fire, but he's faded a bit. We'll see how he fares throughout this season.

I just don't get it.
I do agree that signing AWB and Maguire for extortionate fees wasn't necessary at all. Robson also mentions that Ole wanted a VVD type CB and the two options were Koulibaly and Maguire, which I also disagree with. I believe there were other CBs who had the potential to reach a very high level and did fit the dominant type we were looking for according to reports and should've been considered.

Suedesi

I do agree that signing AWB and Maguire for extortionate fees wasn't necessary at all. Robson also mentions that Ole wanted a VVD type CB and the two options were Koulibaly and Maguire, which I also disagree with. I believe there were other CBs who had the potential to reach a very high level and did fit the dominant type we were looking for according to reports and should've been considered.
Exactly. We spend 80 million on a slow, immobile CB, and 50 mill on RB that can only defend, well done everyone, high fives all around - recruitment is back on track.

What are these people smoking? If they got Andy Robertson for 7mm quid, or discovered the next TAA that's excellent recruitment, but paying top dollar at Bergdorf Goodman for normal merchandise is not good shopping.

dev1l

Re CBs in the last few years, the club experimented with signing young CB "who had the potential to reach a high level"...
namely Lindelof, Rojo and Bially.
I think this time around they preferred a "safer" even if more expensive option.
Also we should not look exclusively at the transfer costs but also at the salary and any agent commissions (which in the case of someone like Raiola, they could be very high)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Exactly. We spend 80 million on a slow, immobile CB, and 50 mill on RB that can only defend, well done everyone, high fives all around - recruitment is back on track.

What are these people smoking? If they got Andy Robertson for 7mm quid, or discovered the next TAA that's excellent recruitment, but paying top dollar at Bergdorf Goodman for normal merchandise is not good shopping.
Glad someone agrees with me. I can't understand why many think our recruitment has been good when we've quite clearly been taking to the cleaners by Palace and Leicester.

What next? Maddison for £90m, Grealish for £60m..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Re CBs in the last few years, the club experimented with signing young CB "who had the potential to reach a high level"...
namely Lindelof, Rojo and Bially.
I think this time around they preferred a "safer" even if more expensive option.
Also we should not look exclusively at the transfer costs but also at the salary and any agent commissions (which in the case of someone like Raiola, they could be very high)
Tbf mate, neither Lindelof or Bailly were regarded as huge CB prospects. Bailly was very raw and had played quite a bit at fullback too. Lindelof was above average in the Portuguese league.

dev1l

Tbf mate, neither Lindelof or Bailly were regarded as huge CB prospects. Bailly was very raw and had player quite a bit at fullback too. Lindelof was above average in the Portuguese league.
They still cost around 30 million if I m not wrong at a time when prices were lower than today.
Maguire though expensive is PL proven and has a considerable amount of international experience .
Getting a player from another league has added risks.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Tbf mate, neither Lindelof or Bailly were regarded as huge CB prospects. Bailly was very raw and had played quite a bit at fullback too. Lindelof was above average in the Portuguese league.
Bailly was a massive gamble, if I remember rightly he had only had about 1.5 seasons at the top flight football in Spain. Sometimes they work out though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They still cost around 30 million if I m not wrong at a time when prices were lower than today.
Maguire though expensive is PL proven and has a considerable amount of international experience .
Getting a player from another league has added risks.
They did cost us over £60m combined.

Maguire does have prem and international experience but it counts for little when you pair him with Lindelof. He's also susceptible against pace and players with a low centre of gravity. And our first choice CB option was from outside the EPL before we settled for Maguire.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bailly was a massive gamble, if I remember rightly he had only had about 1.5 seasons at the top flight football in Spain. Sometimes they work out though.
Bailly was a punt for £30m and even one of the Spanish coaches said he was very raw and a work in progress. But Mourinho I believe was instructed to target younger players and his personal scouts recommended Bailly it seems.

Suedesi

Glad someone agrees with me. I can't understand why many think our recruitment has been good when we've quite clearly been taking to the cleaners by Palace and Leicester.

What next? Maddison for £90m, Grealish for £60m..
Well, if Maddison is top of Ole's list we'll be taken to the cleaners by Leicester again. He's a 40m player at most.

cyberman

Bailly was a punt for £30m and even one of the Spanish coaches said he was very raw and a work in progress. But Mourinho I believe was instructed to target younger players and his personal scouts recommended Bailly it seems.
This cant be true. He signed Matic, Mikhi and Ibra that season as well?
Bailly was top 5 (i think) fee for an EPl defender or not far off. It was a shit load of money at the time

dev1l

Bailly was top 5 (i think) fee for an EPl defender or not far off. It was a shit load of money at the time
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-summer-transfer-window-club-by-club-verdicts
Stones at the time was England s most promising defender and city paid 47.5 million for him. So we can fairly assume that 50 million in 2016 would be around 70-80 million today.
Hence if someone like 2016 Bailly was available today he would cost around 40 million.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He signed Ibra, Bailly, Mkhi and Pogba in his first season.

The money paid for the transfer of Bailly isn't the point. The point is, that Bailly was a high risk due to how raw he was as a 22 year old which really should've been enough not to sign him for the reported fee. Woodward backed Mourinho twice for CBs who were never quite the calibre to propel us towards the top. Then when Mourinho asked for a 3rd CB, Woodward took notice of our Scouts and vetoed him quite correctly.

Red00012

Alex Teixeira would be a shrewd signing.
No he wouldn’t. If you think signing anyone that went to China to play football when clearly it’s money is the motivation is shrewd you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about.

passing-wind

This isn't going to end well, we are going to end up with a team full of Solskjaer's wishlist and they will underperform due to his credentials as a manager and his limited ability to coach. I don't see ANY difference between us under Ole, LVG or Mourinho in terms of a hierarchical strategy.

The club in hindsight is doing EXACTLY same thing, backing the manager by giving them funds and if it all goes south it's back to square one with this revolving door of a rebuild.

Buying different "types" of players doesn't redefine a transfer strategy ? Having a DOF to liaise as a mediator between Woodward and the manager is a change of strategy. Having a DOF signifying that even if Solskjaer is sacked the club still have the same directives, is a change of strategy. Commercially our club might be a powerhouse but the footballing ideology and structure including Ole is a joke.

BlueHaze

Quality of this thread gone downhill. Far too little actual transfer tweets and so much pointless discussion that could be done in so many other threads where it actually belongs. Someone please give me more tweets. Surely with the window opening in a few days there's got to be a lot of action..

Status
Not open for further replies.