Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There is no need to discuss the Cavani transfer to this extent. If he signs, great. If he doesn't we move on. He is fecking 34+ . We are talking as if we are losing one of our star players in prime.
we are

RUCK4444

In the weekend Pogba was performing brilliant and it didn't require a true DM to make him playing like that. Not only that, we also won the game and he was part of big influence in our victory. Thus, it doesn't require a true DM to get the best out of Pogba and to make us win a match together. You need to understand and think rationally of any possible alternative or reason why we are targeting players that is not DM but more hybrid one because our system can still be operated without a DM and to get the best out of Pogba also does not require a DM.
This is where I feel your wrong.

What your suggesting is you want Pogba to play LW permanently like he did on the weekend? Which would be to the detriment of Rashford. If that's the case then fair enough that's your opinion - except it won't happen, Rashford will be our LW.

Therefore in order for Paul to play a starting role he must play in a midfield two. Hence my whole argument for an improved DM to play the more defensive role with Paul.

If you play Paul in a midfield two with a partner who is not defensively sound it will highlight his weakness defensively, this being one of the chief reasons people get frustrated with him.

It's not a hard concept to grasp really. Just the notion that we obviously need a more defensively sound DM than we have at the club currently, as echoed by many many fans and pundits.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

What your suggesting is you want Pogba to play LW permanently like he did on the weekend? Which would be to the detriment of Rashford. If that's the case then fair enough that's your opinion - except it won't happen, Rashford will be our LW.

Therefore in order for Paul to play a starting role he must play in a midfield two. Hence my whole argument for an improved DM to play the more defensive role with Paul.

If you play Paul in a midfield two with a partner who is not defensively sound it will highlight his weakness defensively, this being one of the chief reasons people get frustrated with him.

It's not a hard concept to grasp really. Just the notion that we obviously need a more defensively sound DM than we have at the club currently, as echoed by many many fans and pundits.
What I’m suggesting is not what I want or my opinion, what I’m suggesting is what the manager has in his mind if we decide to sign a hybrid midfielder instead of DM. READ the post that I replied, he asked why we are aiming for box to box or hybrid midfield, the answer is simple because our system does not require DM as the critical component to work.

Is this an opinion? No because I have proof, the proof is the manager has shown an intention to play hybrid midfielder for the last two seasons, playing Pogba wide and Rashford on the right this season and it works. What you are suggesting is just nothing but your own opinion without taking a consideration about the manager’s intention and system.

RUCK4444

What I’m suggesting is not what I want or my opinion, what I’m suggesting is what the manager has in his mind if we decide to sign a hybrid midfielder instead of DM. READ the post that I replied, he asked why we are aiming for box to box or hybrid midfield, the answer is simple because our system does not require DM as the critical component to work.

Is this an opinion? No because I have proof, the proof is the manager has shown an intention to play hybrid midfielder for the last two seasons, playing Pogba wide and Rashford on the right this season and it works. What you are suggesting is just nothing but your own opinion without taking a consideration about the manager’s intention and system.
But what your saying is also your opinion, the manager makes the most of what he has at his disposal.

How do you know for a fact he wants these ‘hybrid’ midfielders you mention? It just happens to be the players we have at the club, none of which he signed.

The players we have aren’t really even hybrid midfielders in the sense that they are even good going forward, they are just decent-ish box to box players with limited passing ability.

I bet you a pound to a pinch of sh*t that if Ole had a top level DM he would play him and sit Pogba next to him. No doubt in my mind.

You don’t win this league without a top level DM. Fernandinho, Rodri, Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson? Of that ilk, that our rivals have and rely on. Not McFred with Pogba on the wing.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But what your saying is also your opinion, the manager makes the most of what he has at his disposal.

How do you know for a fact he wants these ‘hybrid’ midfielders you mention? It just happens to be the players we have at the club, none of which he signed.

The players we have aren’t really even hybrid midfielders in the sense that they are even good going forward, they are just decent-ish box to box players with limited passing ability.

I bet you a pound to a pinch of sh*t that if Ole had a top level DM he would play him and sit Pogba next to him. No doubt in my mind.

You don’t win this league without a top level DM. Fernandinho, Rodri, Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson? Of that ilk, that our rivals have and rely on. Not McFred with Pogba on the wing.
So let’s get Rice for dinner then

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

First of all, I don’t know if Ole wants the hybrid or box to box. I’m just answering the poster’s question what if we are targeting the hybrid or box to box instead of DM. And here you are trying to argue of me giving a valid answer.

Second, unlike you I have rational thinking, so I never say we shouldn’t sign a DM. Below are my statements:
Is there valid reason of signing DM instead of hybrid or b2b? Yes.
Is there valid reason of signing hybrid or b2b instead of DM? Yes

The problem here is that you only want to accept one solution and refuse to accept that there is more than one solution. In other word, your thinking is not rational enough but bias based on your personal preference without taking into account of other possible solution.

Last edited:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
They keep talking about his family but Argentina and Uruguay, are two different countries. Closer, yes, still a foreign country to him.

M4YON

They keep talking about his family but Argentina and Uruguay, are two different countries. Closer, yes, still a foreign country to him.
He can't see him family at all whilst he's with us due to Covid guidelines, travel restrictions etc. Coronavirus isn't going anywhere just yet so it's understandable he would want to move to Boca where he will most likely have nothing stopping him.

manuchamp88

They're pretty similar, to be honest. Similar habits, similar accents and slang...there's just less to do in Uruguay and Montevideo is more expensive than Buenos Aires.

jesperjaap

Midfield is more important, because we get overrun in the middle often, and as a result our talented attackers have not enough service.

Matic is not our level now - maybe a good lad, but not an EPL champions calibre player (whereas that’s what need to aim for)
Agree on Matic, just with what I think we need to clear out, maybe another season as a squad player isnt such a bad thing. Althought Lindelof has improved a lot and we havent been shipping goals recently, I think a centre back is just as important, but then agai nif Cavani goes, so is a striker and so really is a right winger. Though we have improved I think those are four positions that are or could all be priorities for us

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Real Madrid's four untouchable players: Fede Valverde, Vinicius, Rodrygo, and Ødegaard

English article
  • Incoming targets:
    • Alaba (agreed to join)
    • Mbappé
    • Haaland
  • For sale:
    • Bale
    • Isco
    • Marcelo
    • Odriozola
    • Mariano Diaz
    • Jovic
  • Contract renewal talks:
    • Ramos (ongoing but slow)
    • Lucas Vazquez (agreement far away)
  • Not for sale:
    • Vinicius
      • Will not be used to sign Mbappé
    • Valverde
    • Rodrygo
    • Ødegaard
      • Will return at the end of the season
      • The club don't want to let him go.
  • Madrid suspect that Varane won't renew
    • Pau Torres and Koundé are candidates to replace Varane

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Information from Jésus Gallego on Hora 25 Deportes

At Real Madrid they think that Sergio Ramos has decided to leave because he has a better option [elsewhere]

Nacho, who has one year left on his contract, could renew for one more season

Militao will not go on the market and stay [at Real Madrid]

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid's four untouchable players: Fede Valverde, Vinicius, Rodrygo, and Ødegaard

English article
  • Incoming targets:
    • Alaba (agreed to join)
    • Mbappé
    • Haaland
  • For sale:
    • Bale
    • Isco
    • Marcelo
    • Odriozola
    • Mariano Diaz
    • Jovic
  • Contract renewal talks:
    • Ramos (ongoing but slow)
    • Lucas Vazquez (agreement far away)
  • Not for sale:
    • Vinicius
      • Will not be used to sign Mbappé
    • Valverde
    • Rodrygo
    • Ødegaard
      • Will return at the end of the season
      • The club don't want to let him go.
  • Madrid suspect that Varane won't renew
    • Pau Torres and Koundé are candidates to replace Varane
It seems like a good list of untouchables. If Odegaard stays it means that Zidane is leaving?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Would be funny to see Madrid end up with both Haaland and Mbappe

Devil81

Would be funny to see Madrid end up with both Haaland and Mbappe
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest either.

They've not spent really lavish for a good few years with mainly one marque signing per summer and in some summers none..

Imagine a window like the one when they signed Ronaldo, Kaka and Benzema!!!!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

They've not spent really lavish for a good few years with mainly one marque signing per summer and in some summers none..

They wouldn’t get both in this summer, that’s way too much, may be Mbappe or one of them but not both. They already spent huge in 2019 summer like 350m and they just spent money on their stadium too.

cyberman

They spent over 300m the summer before the pandemic hit.
This is all talk, i guarentee they are trying to convince Mbappe to leave on a free next summer, the summer Haaland 80m odd clause kicks in as well

Infra-red

They wouldn’t get both in this summer, that’s way too much, may be Mbappe or one of them but not both. They already spent huge in 2019 summer like 350m and they just spent money on their stadium too.
Lockdown was a good time for a stadium renovation, without any resultant disruption to attendences (or revenues) from the works, because all stadiums were empty anyway. I know clubs are struggling, but I'm a bit surprised that more of the wealthy ones didn't do some work - we will certainly never again have a better opportunity to put another tier on the South Stand or carry out other much needed renovations.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Lockdown was a good time for a stadium renovation, without any resultant disruption to attendences (or revenues) from the works, because all stadiums were empty anyway. I know clubs are struggling, but I'm a bit surprised that more of the wealthy ones didn't do some work - we will certainly never again have a better opportunity to put another tier on the South Stand or carry out other much needed renovations.
They can’t if there is building restrictions

stubie

Real will hold back on marquee signings whilst the Bernabeu Is being redeveloped

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well, stadium renovation has to be planned first like finding a reason or the scope of the project, find builders, find contractors and etc because it’s considered as ‘’project‘’ and will cost lot of money so there is process and life cycle of it what you need to do first.

So even if you want to do it during the pandemic means you can only start the next following year or two or three. Real Madrid probably already planned this 2-4 years ago and of course the pandemic wasn’t part of the plan. :lol:

Craig Ward

Worded perfectly.

Pogba only ever looks good for us when he is playing LW, which is fairly rare. Pogba is part of our central midfield area - and is often exposed. Sometimes by his own flaws, sometimes because we dont have a world class DM as such.

But you've worded it perfectly to be fair - so many people fail to understand that Pogba is weak defensively and plays in an area where we cannot afford that

RUCK4444

Worded perfectly.

Pogba only ever looks good for us when he is playing LW, which is fairly rare. Pogba is part of our central midfield area - and is often exposed. Sometimes by his own flaws, sometimes because we dont have a world class DM as such.

But you've worded it perfectly to be fair - so many people fail to understand that Pogba is weak defensively and plays in an area where we cannot afford that
Cheers. Im a big fan of Pogba and defend him more often than not but I’ve always said we knew his limitations defensively and we should tweak the side to accommodate that and in turn it would also bring the best out in Pogba (as it tends to more often than not with France.)

At the end of the day we know where he needs to play if he’s going to feature here long term, we just need to make sure we get a decent DM - which we absolutely need anyway, regardless of if Pogba stays or goes.

foolsgold

They're pretty similar, to be honest. Similar habits, similar accents and slang...there's just less to do in Uruguay and Montevideo is more expensive than Buenos Aires.
It's just across the river really though, few hours drive or I'm sure he can afford a helicopter to pop back and forth

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Worded perfectly.

Whenever you look at Pogba, whether he plays in midfield two or midfield three, the concept is the same, he always need that extra protection to make him effective in the team, one DM was never enough. He wasn’t just playing with Kante in France World Cup, he played with Matuidi too. He wasn’t just playing with Pirlo and Vidal at Juventus, he played with extra CB too. It will be like that against majority teams that don’t sit back which the top 10-12 in PL or the top opposition sides.

This one world class DM to play with Pogba without having extra protection is nothing but myth, personal preference. Even if we sign a DM, against teams that don’t sit back, don’t be surprised you will expect to see Fred/McT or Matuidi type of player or extra CB as an extra protection.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Whenever you look at Pogba, whether he plays in midfield two or midfield three, the concept is the same, he always need that extra protection to make him effective in the team, one DM was never enough. He wasn’t just playing with Kante in France World Cup, he played with Matuidi too. He wasn’t just playing with Pirlo and Vidal at Juventus, he played with extra CB too.

It will be like that against majority teams that don’t sit back which the top 10-12 in PL or the top opposition sides. This one world class DM to play with Pogba without having extra protection is nothing but myth, personal preference.
What your saying is Pogba cannot play in a midfield two, period. Correct?

Unless he has two defensive midfielders alongside him? Really?

We shouldn't derail this thread and take it to the Pogba thread tbh.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What your saying is Pogba cannot play in a midfield two, period. Correct?
No. I challenge you to quote me on that please.

Unless he has two defensive midfielders alongside him? Really?
No. I said he always need extra protection like at Juventus and in France. Whether it’s a CB or defensive winger or another defensive or work horse player.

Have you seen a team that getting the best out of Pogba to make him effective in the team without an extra protection?

Even when you used the France argument of him playing with Kante, you ignored there was Matuidi, what’s your say on that?

We shouldn't derail this thread and take it to the Pogba thread tbh.
You are the one who bring in Pogba‘s name into this thread and created it into new argument about Pogba. Not me.

RUCK4444

No. I challenge you to quote me on that please.

No. I said he always need extra protection like at Juventus and in France. Whether it’s a CB or defensive winger or another defensive or work horse player.

Have you seen a team that getting the best out of Pogba to make him effective in the team without an extra protection?

Even when you used the France argument of him playing with Kante, you ignored there was Matuidi, what’s your say on that?

You are the one who bring in Pogba‘s name into this thread and created it into new argument about Pogba. Not me.
You were already discussing Pogba here and I believe I replied to one of your posts initially.

We play with two excellent defensive fullbacks which provide the added cover your eluding to.

Again the selection for France is likely a result of the players at their disposal. They like a combative midfield and players like Matuidi and Rabiot happen to be quite good defensively. I don't think France play them specifically because they see Pogba as a huge risk - if they did it would be easier to drop him surely.

Unless you think the French team play 2 defensively minded midfielders alongside Pogbe and back three purely to make up for the risk of fielding Pogba? That's basically what your saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.