Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

What a crock of shit, if they'd calculated this then why not switch to another target 2 months ago instead of scrambling for an injury prone Dembele on loan in the last 24 hours? just more excuses, i bet the motherfecker's still take their dividends regardless of the coronavirus.
This is of course correct. Not wanting to pay Dortmund's asking price is not a crime. Failing to move on and wasting the entire window, is.

iHicksy

I guess they'd been using government spreadsheets to work it out before that.
Deadline day.

Woodward: Matt, Matt! I was calculating the number of likes per day we'd get from the Sancho deal but this speadsheet cuts off at 65,000 rows. Where's the rest of the data?

Judge: Hang on it's on my Ipad. Ah feck. You're right, and look. It's gonna cost more than we thought. Oh, i should probably mention that there's a load of E-mails from Ole here with a bunch transfer targets I never saw and three missed video calls from Juve.

saivet

We can negotiate though? I honestly dont think we were in for other wide forwards, Mason obviously has that position now. An opportunity with Dembele arose but that was fecked off with his contract standoff with Barca and even then it was a loan.
Theres a narrative going around that we were left short without Sancho but I dont think we were ever going to sign anybody but Sancho. Especially with Traore on the way.
Then why not strengthen other areas of the first 11 if it was Sancho or bust for the RW? It's been pretty clear for some time that Dortmund weren't going to budge with the price, so why continuously try to make progress on something that clearly wasn't going anywhere. We have a clear weakness at CB and DM that don't even seem like they were given much thought.

Dante

Average bang
Phil Brown's Tweet was on 25th September.

Andy Mitten broke the story on 10th September, and Sam Luckhurst followed it up on 16th September.

There was even this Youtube video with Diallo's head photoshopped into a United shirt on 16th September:

The momentum for Diallo had been building for a while before Brown jumped on the bandwagon.

cyberman

Then why not strengthen other areas of the first 11 if it was Sancho or bust for the RW? It's been pretty clear for some time that Dortmund weren't going to budge with the price, so why continuously try to make progress on something that clearly wasn't going anywhere. We have a clear weakness at CB and DM that don't even seem like they were given much thought.
We did. We signed a striker, a LB and a midfielder who will all be starters as the season goes on. Even Traore seems to be in with a shout for pressuring a first 11 spot if hes as good as being made out. There was never a realistic chance of us replacing 5 or 6 first team spots this summer. It was never on the cards.

georgipep

Andy Mitten broke the story on 10th September, and Sam Luckhurst followed it up on 16th September.

There was even this Youtube video with Diallo's head photoshopped into a United shirt on 16th September:

The momentum for Diallo had been building for a while before Brown jumped on the bandwagon.
But Andy Mitten is not being promoted by that twitter account, is he?

Dante

Average bang
You’d think that would’ve been briefed at the time if it were true. And if the club had decided that they weren’t going for him, why did Ole reportedly keep in touch with Sancho?

Also, didn’t we submit a bid worth €110m last week?
That's like using the Bible as documented proof that God exists. It's a biased and self-serving source of information.

A tabloid that's willing to run with a made-up story is also going to be willing to run with a made-up twist to the story.

The only way to know for certain is to get it straight from Dortmund or United. But given how mouthy Dortmund have been, their silence on this supposed bid was deafening.

Hal9000

What a crock of shit, if they'd calculated this then why not switch to another target 2 months ago instead of scrambling for an injury prone Dembele on loan in the last 24 hours? just more excuses, i bet the motherfecker's still take their dividends regardless of the coronavirus.
It was obvious we were hoping Dortmund and the agents to blink first and accept lower fees. Obviously, that did not happen.

Withnail

I m convinced there was some type of indications from the club which encouraged the idea that a deal was possible.

Mind you, the fact that we moved on is a good thing. Sancho imo is over rated. The bad thing is that we didn't have a ready made alternative,though the figures for players like Sarr are unreal - 45m.
Re Dembele I think we got it right too. The risk was too big. Though we left it late , again.
The deal was possible for 120m cash.

We thought they were bluffing. They weren't.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
We kind of did move on. It was only Twitter and the red-tops keeping the story on life-support.
You didn't. There was constant feed by Utd club channels to the various journos, the "breakthrough" briefing in September, and Ole's mouthpiece running with frequent "This is soooo on"-snippets till the very end. The negotiations might have ended early but the social media op was upheld nevertheless.

Withnail

That's the worst part. Ole brought Matic back into the fold because we need a DM. Surely he can see Matic isn't very mobile and needs replacing.

It's baffling we weren't even linked with a DM.

Dante

Average bang
You didn't. There was constant feed by Utd club channels to the various journos, the "breakthrough" briefing in September, and Ole's mouthpiece running with frequent "This is soooo on"-snippets till the very end. The negotiations might have ended early but the social media op was upheld nevertheless.
There was nothing on the official Manchester United Twitter account.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

This story first broke last year via Sport Witness. The only difference this time is that Brown insisted that United was gonna sign him even when Romano was reporting the player was heading to Parma. Mitten, Brown, Luckhurst etc have the same sources within the club and some will report it and some won't. Mitten, and Luckhurst also appear on Brown's Podcast from time to time and have alluded to what i'm saying.

AsonUnique

I m convinced there was some type of indications from the club which encouraged the idea that a deal was possible.

Mind you, the fact that we moved on is a good thing. Sancho imo is over rated. The bad thing is that we didn't have a ready made alternative,though the figures for players like Sarr are unreal - 45m.
Re Dembele I think we got it right too. The risk was too big. Though we left it late , again.
If we truly moved on this brief would have happened August 11th not today. Then moved on to plan b.

I agree there was some indication it was possible or our front office is proving it's incompetence again. The briefs throughout this were so terrible and makes United look even worse. I don't understand them. It raised fan expectations and now everyone is frustrated. Not a good look when trying to recruit players.

I am excited about Diallo and Pellistri and like that we bought them but we still have a glaring hole at RW and CB.

Stringer

There was nothing on the official Manchester United Twitter account.
What about the BBC continuing to report that United still saw him as their top transfer target up until mid September? They're generally reliable and don't speculate.

Dante

Average bang
And therefore all these things didn't happen?
How do you know they did? Twitter has been full of a shit ton of contradictory things.

You just happen to have arbitrarily decided that some people are reliable. And so when they're wrong, that doesn't prove that you were wrong and that they were unreliable. Instead it proves that they were always reliable but also lying. But they're still reliable, because of reasons.

izec

And therefore all these things didn't happen?
They did, but not on the last day or week of the window. We probably moved on mid September and were going after other targets in the last 2 weeks. When Dortmund came out with the last two denials, we werent in for him anymore at that time. We got linked to other wingers weeks ago by reliable sources and people said it was a tactic, when in reality we moved on

Withnail

How do you know they did? Twitter has been full of a shit ton of contradictory things.

You just happen to have arbitrarily decided that some people are reliable. And so when they're wrong, that doesn't prove that you were wrong and that they were unreliable. Instead it proves that they were always reliable but also lying. But they're still reliable, because of reasons.

This wasn't an ITK thing.

This story was literally everywhere and has been covered by every reputable sports journalist.

We were in for him and trying to get a deal done.

It's never been denied by anyone so it's highly unlikely to be guff.

VanGaalyTime

£72m in transfer fees only is not spending very little by any account. If you add agent fees I'm pretty sure the amount is close to £100m and that's without the potential add ons. Can you tell me how many clubs spent more than that? I have a feeling Manchester United is one again in the top 5 for overall spend this summer.
This was a summer in which United had the capacity to and needed to outspend each of our rivals in the Premier League. Okay, so Chelsea is a wildcard and spent a lot (over 200m) but United have to spend about the same given the lack of spending in recent years. We keep saying we're the most profitable, biggest team in the world and yet again, we're outspent by Aston Villa. Does this make any sense? Oh, and I'm guessing the owners are willing to withhold board dividends then given we're so financially strapped? It's ridiculous how the fans of this club are treated and I'm sure we'll see significant fan action this season, regardless of whether the stadium is open.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München

The "breakthrough" briefing did happen, and it happened mid September. There is no other logical explanation for it other than your club feeding all these twitter birds at the same time.
Ole's friend Fredrik kept pushing Sancho stories until this very weekend. Again, not likely he made this up, and the article from the Athletic supports the idea that Ole wanted them to try until the end.

Dante

Average bang
This wasn't an ITK thing.

This story was literally everywhere and has been covered by every reputable sports journalist.

We were in for him and trying to get a deal done.

It's never been denied by anyone so it's highly unlikely to be guff.
We were in for him. Then during negotiations we realised it would be too much money and shifted our focus. But we probably continued to stay in touch just in case.

That's the most likely story. Not because I know anything specific about what happened behind the scenes, but because that's how almost all failed deals go in any business.

Infra-red

That's the worst part. Ole brought Matic back into the fold because we need a DM. Surely he can see Matic isn't very mobile and needs replacing.

It's baffling we weren't even linked with a DM.
Partey had a reasonable release clause and Marc Roca was available for the entire summer and ended up moving two days ago for €15m. There were options available to us - bizarre that we chose to ignore them in favour of a 32 year old Matic.

Dante

Average bang
The "breakthrough" briefing did happen, and it happened mid September. There is no other logical explanation for it other than your club feeding all these twitter birds at the same time.
Ole's friend Fredrik kept pushing Sancho stories until this very weekend. Again, not likely he made this up, and the article from the Athletic supports the idea that Ole wanted them to try until the end.
How about the logical explanation that journalists earn money from selling stories to their audience, and that the Sancho story was the biggest one of the summer?

If your conspiracy theory is true about there being a brief directly from the club, why would they do that? So that they could ultimately upset the fans? And if, as you say, the club never moved on from Sancho, how is the brief serving the agenda of making Dortmund lower their price?

You're joining dots that don't exist because they make up an interesting overarching narrative.

georgipep

This was a summer in which United had the capacity to and needed to outspend each of our rivals in the Premier League. Okay, so Chelsea is a wildcard and spent a lot (over 200m) but United have to spend about the same given the lack of spending in recent years. We keep saying we're the most profitable, biggest team in the world and yet again, we're outspent by Aston Villa. Does this make any sense? Oh, and I'm guessing the owners are willing to withhold board dividends then given we're so financially strapped? It's ridiculous how the fans of this club are treated and I'm sure we'll see significant fan action this season, regardless of whether the stadium is open.
"United had the capacity to and needed to outspend" - What and why? Why do you believe the club had the capacity to outspend our rivals?

"given the lack of spending in recent years" - Which years are that? There certainly hasn't been any lack of spending since Sir Alex retired.

I have no idea what was the financial impact on Aston Villa or any other team in the world but for United the estimated impact for last season is £110m in lost revenues and for this one so far we're expecting about £50m less (given that there is no clarity if fans will be admitted after the winter).

The overall cost of a Sancho deal is reportedly estimated to be as much as £250m. Add that to the ~£100m we did spend (without agent fees and wages). Does this seem reasonable to you?

As for dividends, you do know that the purpose of any business is to maximise profits for its shareholders. I know most people on here have a hard time understanding that Manchester United is a business but it really is.

"It's ridiculous how the fans of this club are treated" - How are they treated? And by whom? The media? Because it appears that all fans expectations are set by media and then they feel let down. Well...can't really see the club's fault in that.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Partey had a reasonable release clause and Marc Roca was available for the entire summer and ended up moving two days ago for €15m. There were options available to us - bizarre that we chose to ignore them in favour of a 32 year old Matic.
Partey is one thing but Roca getting to Bayern for 15M is absolutely insane. Unless they made contacts very early and assure him they would sign him i have no idea how many clubs didn't just go and get him as soon as the window opened. Even if he turns out average (which he's not) you can easily recoup your money selling him back to Spain.

Cliche Guevara

If Sancho wants to be disappointed in anything it should be him choosing to extend his contract last year. For me that’s been the biggest obstacle in securing this signing.

It will be interesting how this develops as Sancho does appear to have behavioural issues and Covid is still at large.

They’ll be hoping Sancho keep his form up, Dortmund don’t suffer too much financial damage, and other clubs are in a position to spend big on a transfer next summer.

United might well come out of this strongest, although that doesn’t necessarily excuse any potential incompetence on our part.

georgipep

How about the logical explanation that journalists earn money from selling stories to their audience, and that the Sancho story was the biggest one of the summer?

If your conspiracy theory is true about there being a brief directly from the club, why would they do that? So that they could ultimately upset the fans? And if, as you say, the club never moved on from Sancho, how is the brief serving the agenda of making Dortmund lower their price?

You're joining dots that don't exist because they make up an interesting overarching narrative.
There is a reason fake news are so effective and dominant... "Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia"....

Devil may care

This is of course correct. Not wanting to pay Dortmund's asking price is not a crime. Failing to move on and wasting the entire window, is.
Given what we paid for Maguire who is nothing more than a decent CB, and AWB who's half a RB I think you could argue it's a crime to not pay what Dortmund wanted for a much more sure thing as one the most elite young talents in the game, but it's by the by, if that was the stance from the start then look at other options, no one will convince me that Dembele on loan and 2 unknown kids were all the options that were out there bar Sancho.

It was obvious we were hoping Dortmund and the agents to blink first and accept lower fees. Obviously, that did not happen.
If they thought that then they are more naive and deluded than most thought, Dortmund had all the leverage in this deal, didn't we learn this tactic doesn't work last year when we tried it with Maguire and AWB and ended up paying what Leicester and Palace wanted from the get go?

Dante

Average bang
There is a reason fake news are so effective and dominant... "Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia"....
What's most worrying is that when conspiracy theorists are confronted by evidence that they're wrong, they twist it into proof that the conspiracy actually ran even deeper than they'd originally presumed.

It's flat-earth/NASA level thinking.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I didn't see a queue and us batting away suitors I saw Everton trying to get a loan and us saying no, where were all the others beating down our door to take him?
His former club in Argentina wanted him but couldn’t afford the fee, Aston Villa toyed with the idea but also seemed put off by the fee. I think we signed him on a free, he’s effectively now 3rd choice, we don’t need to be asking 6-8m. He’s on a relatively high wage which will cause problems if we are also asking for a high fee. We should have made it possible for him to leave, he’s been an excellent servant

Status
Not open for further replies.