Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Extend to 2022, fill more urgent squad needs (CB, DM) then all out for Haaland.
Yeah maybe once Ole sits down with Eddy and offers him another year we might see some transfer articles suggesting we are looking to sign a CDM rather than a CF, however these discussions on transfer plans should be taking place now and not waiting a few more weeks when potential signings could be off the table.

Pep's Suit

Plan A seems to be to sell players, hope that PSG want to negotiate and beg Mbappé to accept less, or much less money, compared to PSG renewal offer.
He said that Mbappé has to analyze the projection that Madrid gives him, etc.
Surely since they know that it is very difficult they begin to talk about Haaland
Personally I was expecting Mbappe to sign 2-year extension with PSG for months. Haaland, I think his 'team' would rather make one more transfer (Chelsea?) before he eventually joins Real but who knows.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Source: La Razón

Quotes from Sevilla chief José María Cruz:
The difference this season is that we have not made a big sale, but we will have to do it throughout this year if we want to build a great squad again. Once the season is over we will surely have offers for the players and that decision will have to be made.

I am never a supporter, by concept, of improving [the salary and release clause of] a player who has had a good season in his first year. Because past returns do not guarantee future returns and because if you increase the termination clause you do so in amounts that no one is going to pay; and raising a player’s salary to raise a clause to amounts that no one would pay…sometimes, it’s not a good choice.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Source: Le10 Sport

Lyon centre back Marcelo:
[On his contract situation] I hope we will find a solution soon! I feel good here; I feel that I can give more to Lyon. Over time, I hope that we will find a good solution. Liverpool? My agent spoke with them, but I feel good here. My dream is to win the championship with Lyon.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Personally I was expecting Mbappe to sign 2-year extension with PSG for months. Haaland, I think his 'team' would rather make one more transfer (Chelsea?) before he eventually joins Real but who knows.
Yes, I thought about that too, renew and get some kind of agreement to be sold later. I certainly do not believe that he will stay another year without renewing.
You are right about Haaland but I think that Madrid will go for a galáctico,even asking for credits if necessary and bidding strong.
Otherwise I think it would be a collective disappointment

Matt851

This all day.
I just cant see anyway we will end up signing haaland.

We could go for him this summer but would have to pay a huge fee. If we wait until next summer whne his buyout clause is active, every big club in europe will want him and we will be way down the list

Devil may care

I just cant see anyway we will end up signing haaland.

We could go for him this summer but would have to pay a huge fee. If we wait until next summer whne his buyout clause is active, every big club in europe will want him and we will be way down the list
I don't see us getting him either but we have to try and I don't see us paying what it would take this summer, the truth is go past Haaland and Calvert-Lewin and the striker options are completely mediocre.

RRCE

It’s difficult to believe this. If United honestly have the funds available to land their targets, which is what we always hear, but we rarely seem to actually land our primary targets, would the owners not have replaced those responsible for recruitment / negotiations long ago? I just don’t believe it. I think the backing is there, but only within certain parameters. There‘s obviously a budget. That, in and of itself, isn’t unreasonable - all teams should operate within their means - the problem is our budget is never enough to get what the Managers have asked for and to fill the holes in the squad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s difficult to believe this. If United honestly have the funds available to land their targets, which is what we always hear, but we rarely seem to actually land our primary targets, would the owners not have replaced those responsible for recruitment / negotiations long ago? I just don’t believe it. I think the backing is there, but only within certain parameters. There‘s obviously a budget. That, in and of itself, isn’t unreasonable - all teams should operate within their means - the problem is our budget is never enough to get what the Managers have asked for and to fill the holes in the squad.
Well we’re not the only club in the game, and a player can only sign for one at a time! Not many clubs land all their primary targets. Especially at the top end. The talent is few, and the best clubs all want the same players.

There is nobody that needs to be sacked if we fail to sign all the 120m players.

RRCE

Well we’re not the only club in the game, and a player can only sign for one at a time! Not many clubs land all their primary targets. Especially at the top end. The talent is few, and the best clubs all want the same players.

There is nobody that needs to be sacked if we fail to sign all the 120m players.
I agree with you. I’m not suggesting that we have some inherent right to land every hot prospect in world football. Further, no club lands every player they would like to sign.

That said, with United, a clear pattern has developed. Big talk, and relatively poor delivery. Our Managers rarely seem to get the players they actually want, and we’ve had glaring holes in the team that have been ignored for years. Look at Ole this past summer, coming off the back of a third place finish. Do you think he was backed? I’m quite sure he didn’t ask the owners for two extremely young wingers who won’t play a meaningful minute of Premier League football, a midfielder who can’t get a game, and a 33 year old striker with a history of injury problems.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree with you. I’m not suggesting that we have some inherent right to land every hot prospect in world football. Further, no club lands every player they would like to sign.

That said, with United, a clear pattern has developed. Big talk, and relatively poor delivery. Our Managers rarely seem to get the players they actually want, and we’ve had glaring holes in the team that have been ignored for years. Look at Ole this past summer, coming off the back of a third place finish. Do you think he was backed? I’m quite sure he didn’t ask the owners for two extremely young wingers who won’t play a meaningful minute of Premier League football, a midfielder who can’t get a game, and a 33 year old striker with a history of injury problems.
No disrespect, but did you stick your head out of the window at all last summer? He got as much as he could have reasonably hoped for in the circumstances. No, he didn’t get a 120m Sancho and a 60m Upamecano - but nobody did, for very obvious reasons.

I’ve said this on here a few times - but we’ve broken every record in British football over and over in recent years. Fans have short memories and tend to throw their toys in my opinion. Ole has only been here a short time, and in that period, he’s gotten his first choice centre half (who the club made the most expensive defender in football history), likewise his first choice right back, who they spent £45m on. He got Bruno last January for £50m too. Last summer, I imagine his list of first choices cost about £200m at least. As you would have seen, we couldn’t even get rid of any cast offs, it’s not a time to throw a strop about it IMO - we have to be fiscally sensible.

RRCE

No disrespect, but did you stick your head out of the window at all last summer? He got as much as he could have reasonably hoped for in the circumstances. No, he didn’t get a 120m Sancho and a 60m Upamecano - but nobody did, for very obvious reasons.

I’ve said this on here a few times - but we’ve broken every record in British football over and over in recent years. Fans have short memories and tend to throw their toys in my opinion. Ole has only been here a short time, and in that period, he’s gotten his first choice centre half (who the club made the most expensive defender in football history), likewise his first choice right back, who they spent £45m on. He got Bruno last January for £50m too. Last summer, I imagine his list of first choices cost about £200m at least. As you would have seen, we couldn’t even get rid of any cast offs, it’s not a time to throw a strop about it IMO - we have to be fiscally sensible.
So, in your view the best Ole could have hoped for last summer is one player, a 33 year old free agent striker who was signed at the deadline, who would actually play a meaningful role in the first team squad? Please. I’m not suggesting that DVB and Diallo won’t prove to be good players down the road, but they’ve been of no use this season. I refuse to believe that either were on Ole’s list.

I’m neither throwing my toys out, nor suggesting that the owners haven’t spent any money. The pattern is clear, though. Overpromise and underdeliver in the market. Its happened time and time again over the years since Sir Alex and David Gill left. The owners spend money when their backs are against the wall, but drop the ball when it comes to building on success. That’s why I have no patience for the rhetoric. It’s just empty words at this point. I‘d much prefer Ole, Woodward, and anyone else involved just refrain from commenting publicly about our capabilities in the market.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

So, in your view the best Ole could have hoped for last summer is one player, a 33 year old free agent striker who was signed at the deadline, who would actually play a meaningful role in the first team squad? Please. I’m not suggesting that DVB and Diallo won’t prove to be good players down the road, but they’ve been of no use this season. I refuse to believe that either were on Ole’s list.

I’m neither throwing my toys out, nor suggesting that the owners haven’t spent any money. The pattern is clear, though. Overpromise and underdeliver in the market. Its happened time and time again over the years since Sir Alex and David Gill left. The owners spend money when their backs are against the wall, but drop the ball when it comes to building on success. That’s why I have no patience for the rhetoric. It’s just empty words at this point. I‘d much prefer Ole, Woodward, and anyone else involved just refrain from commenting publicly about our capabilities in the market.
Yup. Last window was a total waste.

Diallo is one for the future so I exclude him from the subject really. DVB has been entirely average and the panic signing of Cavani has been surprisingly good, through luck more than astute planning though. Like you said he was a last minute grab and was without a club.

I said at the time we entirely wasted a transfer window in which a club of our financial standing had a clear edge over our rivals at the time, our rivals even expected it from us. We could and should have closed the gap on others but instead we completely stood still as far as progression within the starting 11 (for this season.)

Last edited:

DarkRed

I don't see us getting him either but we have to try and I don't see us paying what it would take this summer, the truth is go past Haaland and Calvert-Lewin and the striker options are completely mediocre.
You don't think Greenwood could pick that up in two years time?

Matt851

The fact is we probably didnt get any of his first choices, i dont think anyone was expecting £200m spend but one first choice cd or rw wpuld have been nice

As the previous poster mentioned we do consistently overpromise and under deliver. Thats why i think all this talk of signing haaland or sancho this summer is quite fanciful

We tend not to spend much when we qualify for the champions league anyway and there is COVID on top of that

Even when we do spend money we rarely seem to get it right, bruno excepted. I certainly cant remember the last time we signed a player like haaland that is in demand across europe

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The fact is we probably didnt get any of his first choices, i dont think anyone was expecting £200m spend but one first choice cd or rw wpuld have been nice

As the previous poster mentioned we do consistently overpromise and under deliver. Thats why i think all this talk of signing haaland or sancho this summer is quite fanciful

We tend not to spend much when we qualify for the champions league anyway and there is COVID on top of that

Even when we do spend money we rarely seem to get it right, bruno excepted. I certainly cant remember the last time we signed a player like haaland that is in demand across europe
Getting it right or whatever is shifting the argument. Getting who the manager wanted is another conversation, and many fans seem to constantly make the assertion that this doesn’t happen largely because the players the manager wants is not the player that they themselves want. So they see the player THEY want as the one we ‘failed’ to sign. You say ‘one CB or RW would have been nice’. Nice for who? You or Ole? We spent £85m and signed neither of those positions. You have chosen to conclude that is the manager not being backed as opposed to the manager not prioritising what you are prioritising. Also, clubs with long term thinking don’t just ‘buy a CB or RW’. They know who they want to fill those positions. If they can’t get them in one summer, but they feel they can get them the following - they won’t just buy someone else instead. They may simply love to other positions where they CAN get who they want that summer.

Since Ole has come, Maguire, AWB and Bruno at least have been his first choice by all accounts, and he’s only had two summers.

We have spent a lot of money. Sancho and Haaland are not ‘fanciful’ for a club that has broken every transfer record in the country in the post Fergie years. We’ve broken the British record with Di Maria, world record with Pogba, world teenager record with Shaw, then Martial, world defender record with Maguire - yet moaning fans keep trying to push this narrative of everyone except us will spend money. Signings turning out successful is a total different conversation, but we back our managers. We are a club that needs to be sensible - and can’t spend £200m in a pandemic, and tbh - I have no idea why anyone keeps mentioning last summer when the circumstances were beyond obvious. The type of players we wanted were not available, so we didn’t just go any buy others - we chose to wait.

Matt851

Getting it right or whatever is shifting the argument. Getting who the manager wanted is another conversation, and many fans seem to constantly make the assertion that this doesn’t happen largely because the players the manager wants is not the player that they themselves want. So they see the player THEY want as the one we ‘failed’ to sign. You say ‘one CB or RW would have been nice’. Nice for who? You or Ole? We spent £85m and signed neither of those positions. You have chosen to conclude that is the manager not being backed as opposed to the manager not prioritising what you are prioritising. Also, clubs with long term thinking don’t just ‘buy a CB or RW’. They know who they want to fill those positions. If they can’t get them in one summer, but they feel they can get them the following - they won’t just buy someone else instead. They may simply love to other positions where they CAN get who they want that summer.

Since Ole has come, Maguire, AWB and Bruno at least have been his first choice by all accounts, and he’s only had two summers.

We have spent a lot of money. Sancho and Haaland are not ‘fanciful’ for a club that has broken every transfer record in the country in the post Fergie years. We’ve broken the British record with Di Maria, world record with Pogba, world teenager record with Shaw, then Martial, world defender record with Maguire - yet moaning fans keep trying to push this narrative of everyone except us will spend money. Signings turning out successful is a total different conversation, but we back our managers. We are a club that needs to be sensible - and can’t spend £200m in a pandemic, and tbh - I have no idea why anyone keeps mentioning last summer when the circumstances were beyond obvious. The type of players we wanted were not available, so we didn’t just go any buy others - we chose to wait.
You seem to be contradicting yourself. You say signing sancho or haaland this summer is realistic but that those criticising last summers spending need to be more realistic give the impact of covid. Clearly that impact hasnt gone away this season

Also in terms of the club signing the managers priorities - you are probably right that maguire and awb were oles first choices but ole clearly wanted a first choice rw this summer. What he got was a couple of players with barely any first team experience. Regardless of who is to blame for last summer it was missed opportunity to improve problem positions. Also vdb wss obviously a strange use of the bulk of our funds

Its quite clear we back our managers to an extent, usually just until we get into the champions league.

Devil may care

You don't think Greenwood could pick that up in two years time?
Possibly if he can fill out without it hurting his pace and mobility, to be honest I'd rather we had patience and see if he can become our striker if we can't get either of the 2 I mentioned as opposed to wasting budget on average strikers.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
More than the transfer budget, our problem probably is the number of subpar players we have on our payroll with huge contracts, although we have started addressing this under Ole.

croadyman

More than the transfer budget, our problem probably is the number of subpar players we have on our payroll with huge contracts, although we have started addressing this under Ole.
Yeah the huge contracts are weighing us down massively

Brophs

The One and Only
Will we unpause it? Will it play automatically because we’ve left it too long on pause? Will Phil Jones ruin everything by eating the remote?

Matt851

We have also extended the contracts of a number of subpar, overpaid players during oles reign including that massive contract for de gea. So wouldnt exactly say we are making great strides in this area

pascell

Will we unpause it? Will it play automatically because we’ve left it too long on pause? Will Phil Jones ruin everything by eating the remote?
I think the form of Martial has worried us too much and we've probably heard Haaland could be on the market this summer.

Plus the form of Greenwood and the integrating of Diallo into the squad has probably made us think a ST is the more pressing issue.

Unless it's all a negotiation tactic RE Sancho.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Basically we can't afford or won't pay to fill in all the gaps this summer. Yet another CB and a striker, where we have currently 3/4 players (Cavani, Martial, Greenwood & maybe Rashford).

Pep's Suit

Bayern can invest between €50-80m this summer, according to Sport1. I think it will be similar for most big clubs so when you count a top cb for €50-60m there's not much money left. Dortmund will struggle to find a buyer for Sancho.

Woodzy

We shouldn't be pausing on Sancho really. We might need a striker but we also still need a RW.

My dream (and probably every other United fan's on the planet) sign Sancho for RW while Haaland stays at Dortmund for another year and we get him next summer.

In the meantime we give Cavani a final year, and try Greenwood more up front while phasing Martial out unless he gets his arse into gear.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If we don't sign Sancho again then Greenwood needs to play a lot more than he has this season next

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Basically we can't afford or won't pay to fill in all the gaps this summer. Yet another CB and a striker, where we have currently 3/4 players (Cavani, Martial, Greenwood & maybe Rashford).
I think we need a CB most. And unless the striker is Haaland I agree a RW is required. Wouldn't imagine us passing over Sancho for anyone outside of Haaland.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It does feel like a CB and either a CF or RW is going to be about the limits of our budget this season. If we can get 2 top quality additions I'm fine with that even though it still leaves holes elsewhere. I'd rather that then 4 punts to fill all the holes of ST, RW, DM and CB

Judas

Open to offers
Rashford isn't a striker, Martial doesn't count, Cavani isn't getting any younger. You can see why we'd want to get a striker in.

James35

We all know we will not spend anywhere near the required amount of money in the window and rectify our obvious flaws. Its best to just end your expectations now and prepare to rinse and repeat next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.