Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There are 4 big gaps in our first team at the moment (in no particular order):
  • Centre back (lack of an athletic defender beyond Bailly; not much trust in Tuanzebe at the moment)
  • Defensive midfield (Matic + Pogba replacements)
  • Right wing (i.e. Sancho)
  • Striker
The only other gap that exists is the lack of depth at right back, but that's not a major gap.

Given the impact that COVID has had on our finances, we won't be able to address every possible position. Even before the pandemic, we weren't necessarily addressing every weak point at once. The club have chosen to prioritise the centre back and striker positions for this summer and will look to upgrade the rest in the future (or if additional money is made available via sales).

The centre back priority is obvious. The striker one only makes sense to me if Cavani won't be staying (likelier given the delay in exercising the option). Otherwise, I don't see why we'd get another striker unless we won't be viewing Martial as one (unlikely). The Sancho situation makes sense (Dortmund have basically declared him for sale, ceding their position of power to the buying clubs). Regarding the midfield situation:

Luckhurst has stated a few days ago that United would only go after a new midfielder if they sell Pogba. Besides that, the lack of talk about a new midfielder from the rest of the reliable journalists makes me think that we may not be prioritising a midfielder this summer as much as a centre back or striker (more reports on both of those positions). Even foreign media outlets haven't linked us with new midfielders.

The only way we'd get linked with new midfielders is if we commit to selling Pogba this summer. Until that's the case, I don't see us really going after a new midfielder unless we get a sudden cash injection from elsewhere.
That’s a far cry from being ‘adamant’ that they don’t need one. It’s clearly based on economic constraints in these times. I think you’ll find that every club no matter how rich will prioritise signings unless they unearth a gem relatively cheap. I think it’s pure fantasy to expect ‘sudden cash injections’ in these times

Red_toad

United have some competition for Milenkovic, unsurprisingly. Let's see if the Florentine media's tone remains the same.
1 year on his deal, not going to extend so obviously they're going to hype up the interest, as he's not going for anything like 30 million.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That’s a far cry from being ‘adamant’ that they don’t need one. It’s clearly based on economic constraints in these times. I think you’ll find that every club no matter how rich will prioritise signings unless they unearth a gem relatively cheap. I think it’s pure fantasy to expect ‘sudden cash injections’ in these times
That's exactly my point. Just because there's not much talk doesn't mean that we think everything's fine there. We'll address the midfield gaps next summer at the latest, I'm sure, as long as Ole remains the manager..

Jibbs

• Centre back (lack of an athletic defender beyond Bailly; not much trust in Tuanzebe at the moment)
  • Striker
The only other gap that exists is the lack of depth at right back, but that's not a major gap.

Given the impact that COVID has had on our finances, we won't be able to address every possible position. Even before the pandemic, we weren't necessarily addressing every weak point at once. The club have chosen to prioritise the centre back and striker positions for this summer and will look to upgrade the rest in the future (or if additional money is made available via sales).

The centre back priority is obvious. The striker one only makes sense to me if Cavani won't be staying (likelier given the delay in exercising the option). Otherwise, I don't see why we'd get another striker unless we won't be viewing Martial as one (unlikely). The Sancho situation makes sense (Dortmund have basically declared him for sale, ceding their position of power to the buying clubs). Regarding the midfield situation:

Luckhurst has stated a few days ago that United would only go after a new midfielder if they sell Pogba. Besides that, the lack of talk about a new midfielder from the rest of the reliable journalists makes me think that we may not be prioritising a midfielder this summer as much as a centre back or striker (more reports on both of those positions). Even foreign media outlets haven't linked us with new midfielders.

The only way we'd get linked with new midfielders is if we commit to selling Pogba this summer. Until that's the case, I don't see us really going after a new midfielder unless we get a sudden cash injection from elsewhere.
United could have sorted it all out with 3 signings from Portugal in Bruno, Ruben Dias and Joao Felix. But instead we spent a fortune on Maguire and AWB.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
1 year on his deal, not going to extend so obviously they're going to hype up the interest, as he's not going for anything like 30 million.
The Italian (Florentine media in particular) haven't been hyping up interest, surprisingly. They've only mentioned United when it came to Milenkovic leaving for the most part. If they really wanted to, they could have mentioned Dortmund and other clubs way earlier.

ShoePolish

United could have sorted it all out with 3 signings from Portugal in Bruno, Ruben Dias and Joao Felix. But instead we spent a fortune on Maguire and AWB.
Not sure any of those would be any good at RB.

Devil may care

We shall see if Pogba does indeed go. Sure, the situation earlier in the season points to that, but will that remain the case? I don't know. Do I think he'll leave us this summer? If a club offers us 80 million Euros, I don't think United will turn it down. At the moment, though, no club has been reliably linked with him, which is why I doubt all of this. Juventus are the closest, and the links only exist due to Raiola and Pogba's prior history, not because of any recent developments.

If we had Cavani signed up by now, then I'd agree, our priorities wouldn't have made much sense. As it stands, we've yet to sign him up, and if he leaves us this summer, then we will desperately need a striker. Martial may perform better without any competition, but the lack of depth will hurt us big time. Personally, I don't see Rashford as a striker, and Greenwood will need to refine his game further before he can be effective for us up front. I doubt that the United higher-ups or fans would tolerate Greenwood's performances if he isn't scoring regularly.
Raiola said only a couple of months ago that Pogba was done at United and Pogba did nothing to counter that, there's no way we are getting €80M in this market for a player with one year left on his contract, I think the best we can hope for is €50M and a player thrown in, otherwise .Pogba will just wait his contract out and bounce on a free, leaving us looking stupid.

The Cavani situation is odd I agree, he won't get a more lucrative deal for one year anywhere else and Boca are still going to want h8m a year from now, so I'm surprisec we haven't extended it by now. As for Greenwood, I'd tolerate his inevitable development pains over signing a striker like .ings or Silva.

Inigo Montoya

We were never in with a shout for Felix. You saw what he went for, about 113 million while they offloaded players to the tune of 200m including Griezeman, Rodri and Jota. Good players that they hardly spent any money in getting in but made a decent profit. How were Utd going to do that?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Raiola said only a couple of months ago that Pogba was done at United and Pogba did nothing to counter that, there's no way we are getting €80M in this market for a player with one year left on his contract, I think the best we can hope for is €50M and a player thrown in, otherwise .Pogba will just wait his contract out and bounce on a free, leaving us looking stupid.

The Cavani situation is odd I agree, he won't get a more lucrative deal for one year anywhere else and Boca are still going to want h8m a year from now, so I'm surprisec we haven't extended it by now. As for Greenwood, I'd tolerate his inevitable development pains over signing a striker like .ings or Silva.
As I said earlier, we shall see regarding Pogba. I'm guessing that he'll leave in the summer as well, but that's no sure thing given the lack of talks from not only the domestic journalists but the foreign ones as well since Raiola's revelations.

On Greenwood, you and I may be more tolerant, but I don't think Ole will be so willing to throw him into the deep end especially when he's expected to win trophies. Besides, Ole has rarely, if ever, fielded him up there since the winter of 2019. The lack of good striker options may mean that we'll eventually exercise Cavani's option, but that remains to be seen. At the moment, we're only linked with Haaland and André Silva up front (the Ings link has died down recently).

croadyman

• Striker

Yeah I am convinced there have been no links to any creative midfielders recently because the journos connected to the club are still unsure that Pogba is going to leave, however we should still be looking at signing a proper DM whatever happens with him in the summer but doesn't look to be any interest whatsoever.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah I am convinced there have been no links to any creative midfielders recently because the journos connected to the club are still unsure that Pogba is going to leave, however we should still be looking at signing a proper DM whatever happens with him in the summer but doesn't look to be any interest whatsoever.
We can only afford to sign quality players for two of those four gaps. There's no way we can cover up more than that unless we sell players.

croadyman

We can only afford to sign quality players for two of those four gaps. There's no way we can cover up more than that unless we sell players.
Well if that's the case then would do CB & DM and give Amad a proper shot on the RW, obviously IF Pogba needs then he will need replacing and I don't mean by just putting in Donny either just to save money again

FromTheBench

We signed Van de Beek for future contigency of Pogba leaving I would imagine. So I don't think we will give up on him already even if Pogba leaves.

croadyman

We signed Van de Beek for future contigency of Pogba leaving I would imagine. So I don't think we will give up on him already even if Pogba leaves.
We shouldn't give up on him but no way is he capable of providing what Pogba does

Craig Ward

Really cheap Dias and Felix too. Good comparison

State on some of these replies man

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Really cheap Dias and Felix too. Good comparison

State on some of these replies man
Wouldn't have minded Dias and he would have been cheaper. Felix though :lol: They bought him for a fortune on a couple of CL performances and I would say he has been a bit of a disappointment. He was never worth that sort of money.

RUCK4444

Wouldn't have minded Dias and he would have been cheaper. Felix though :lol: They bought him for a fortune on a couple of CL performances and I would say he has been a bit of a disappointment. He was never worth that sort of money.
Yeah the Felix signing was mental, I bet they are regretting that one now after all the cash teams have lost through Covid.

Mental fee and a BIG gamble. He’s still young but I’ve never seen much from him that remotely warranted that size fee for a kid.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah the Felix signing was mental, I bet they are regretting that one now after all the cash teams have lost through Covid.

Mental fee and a BIG gamble. He’s still young but I’ve never seen much from him that remotely warranted that size fee for a kid.
If they win the title they might think he was worth it. If they bottle it, which is looking a possibility then they will never get that sort of money back. Haaland is a freak so yes he will go for big money, just like Mbappe was. This kid as I said did well in one CL campaign and people lost their minds over him.

RUCK4444

If they win the title they might think he was worth it. If they bottle it, which is looking a possibility then they will never get that sort of money back. Haaland is a freak so yes he will go for big money, just like Mbappe was. This kid as I said did well in one CL campaign and people lost their minds over him.
Yeah exactly. I'm not writing him off but just seemed a big risk, like you say if they win the title they may feel that warrants it, but it's still a load of coffers that they won't get back.

I can only really see Haaland and Mbappe moving for silly money that we saw pre-covid. Will be interesting to see how prices level out after Covid, I have every expectation they will slowly increase back to where they were.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It was actually one EL campaign even.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's 29. What progress did Jose expect? He was playing at his peak as a wingback and Jose plays him mostly as a fullback I believe.

Inigo Montoya

They made 200million in sales of Jota,Diaz and Griezmann and Felix is starting to reap the benefits of Simeone's tough love. I'd say they've done really well and he's beginning to deliver

Inigo Montoya

Would have said Suarez has been a better acquisition.
Not the point though. Suarez has benefited from the move in the late stages of his career and is been rejuvenated by Simeone but to suggest Felix is a disappointment at 21 is inaccurate. In fact if you watch AM play they really do complement each other

cyberman

Cant see how any of those fixes right back ahead of AWB Jibbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.